Pennelope and the Prisoner (H...

By helpem

(Under extreme editing) Pennelope has had some very rough years. First it was the trapdoor, second it was a c... More

~ Main Cast ~
Pennelope and the Prisoner (Harry Potter Love Story) book 3
Jasper
Divination and Care of Magical Creatures
Best Defense Against the Dark Arts
Fat Lady . . . Gone
Fell
Pennelope Black
Firebolt
Patronus
The Jealousy
Harry's Head
Revenge On Mr. Malfoy
Buckbeak
Cat Rat Another Cat and Dog
Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, Trotter,And Prongs
Peter Pettigrew
Werewolf
The kiss
Going home

Dementor

10.1K 257 266
By helpem

"Wake up!" I heard someone groan.

I got pushed out if bed, but as I fell my head hit the bedside table as my nose smashed on the ground. I groaned and sat up. I opened my eyes and saw Hermione and Ginny laughing at me.

"Who did that!" I snapped.

They both stopped and looked at each other, then they each pointed at themselves.

"Well, Hermione, you know what happens when you do that," I smirked.Hermione's eyes widened then she took off running. "You might wanna follow her, Ginny."

Ginny took off running as I chased them down.

But we stopped emiedietly when we saw the look Mrs. Weasley was giving us.

"You three, go upstairs and get changed. Then I'll tell you about something."

We all ran upstairs and got dressed. Then we all rushed downstairs again.

Mrs. Weasley motioned us to sit down, she then started telling us about a love potion she made when she was a young girl. Hermione, Ginny and I were rather giggly about it.

Harry and Ron came down and started chatting, then the Bighead Boy came in.

I wasn't able to say good morning to Harry because it was chaos, when we were trying to leave.

Hermione had put Crookshanks in a basket, which I don't think Crookshanks likes very much, she kept spitting.

I put Jasper in a little cat carrier.

"It's all right, Crookshanks," Hermione cooed through the wickerwork. "I'll let you out on the train."

"You won't," Ron snapped. "What about poor Scabbers, eh?"

Ron pointed to his chest, in his shirt pocket was a large lump.

We soon reached King's Cross.

"Right then," Mr. Weasley said. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go first with Harry." They walked up to the barrier and disappeared.

"All right, Ron and Pennelope you next. Hermione and Ginny. Percy and I, then Fred and George," Mrs. Weasley said.

Ron and I got in position. We started talking at chatting then we ended up I on the other side.

"Ah, there's Penelope!" Percy said, when he entered, he smoothed his hair and walked towards her. I caught Harry's eye, we both turned away to hide our laughter.

Soon they all got through the barrier, Ron led the way to the end of the train. We loaded our trunks and went back to say good-bye to Mr. And Mrs. Weasley.

She kissed all her children, then Hermione, then me, and finally Harry. His face went red, but he smiled.

She then gave us all sandwiches.

Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Fred and George, Percy and I got on the train, the train started up. I started panicking at where Harry was.

I ran to a compartment door and threw it open, Harry started running towards it. I stood back as he jumped inside. I helped him up and we both waved at Mr. And Mrs. Weasley.

"I need to talk to you in private," Harry muttered.I turned and raised my eyebrow. "And Ron and Hermione."

"Go away, Ginny," Ron said.

"Ronald!" I snapped.

"Oh, that's nice," Ginny huffed, and stalked off.

We walked towards our empty compartment, but it had a man, asleep next to the window.

"Who d'you think he is?" Ron hissed as we sat down, we took the seats fathest away from the man.

"Professor R. J. Lupin," I whispered.

"I swear, she knows everything," Ron muttered to Harry.

"I don't," I said. "It's on his case."

I pointed to his luggage where that was written.

"Wonder what he teaches?" Ron said.

Is he that thick!

"Oh I don't know," I whispered sarcastically. "I mean, there isn't only one spot open, and that's obviously not Defense Against the Dark Arts."

Ron scowled at me.

"Well, I hope he's up for it," he said. He did look a little ill. "He looks like one good hex would finish him off, doesn't he? Anyway . . "Ron turned to Harry. "What were you going to tell us?"

Harry told us about how Mr. And Mrs. Weasley were talking about how Sirius Black is after Harry. And how Mr. Weasley gave Harry a warning not to go looking for him.

When he finished, Ron looked thunderstruck, Hermione had a hand on her mouth, I was biting my nails.

"Sirius Black escaped to come after you?" I said.

"Oh, Harry . . . You'll have to be really, really careful. Don't go looking for trouble, Harry -" Hermione said.

"I don't go looking for trouble," Harry said nettled. "Trouble usually finds me."

"How thick would harry have to be, to go looking for someone who wants to kill him?" I said shakily.

"No one knows how he got out of Azkaban," Ron said uncomfortably. "No one's ever done it before. And he was a top-security prisoner too."

"But they'll catch him, won't they?" Hermione said. "I mean, they've got all the Muggles looking out for him too. . . . "

"What's that noise?" I blurted.

I heard a faint whistle coming from somewhere, we all looked around. "It's coming from your trunk, Harry."

I stood up and reached into Harry's trunk, I felt around, I looked inside instead and saw a blinking device. I pulled it out and showed them.

"Is this a Sneakoscope?" I gasped, I held it like a fragile piece of china. Hermione stood up to get a look at it.

"Yeah . . . Mind you, it's a very cheap one," Ron said. "It went haywire just as I was tying it to Errol's leg to send it to Harry."

"Were you doing anything untrustworthy at the time?" Hermione said shrewdly.

"No! Well . . . I wasn't supposed to be using Errol. You know he's not really up for long journeys . . . But how else was I suppose to get Harry's present to him?"

"Stick it back in the trunk," Harry advised as the Sneakoscope started to whistle, "Or it'll wake him up."

Harry nodded towards Professor Lupin. I stuffed it into a awful pair of socks, but it worked! I then closed the lid and sat down.

"We could get it checked in Hogsmeade," Ron said, leaning back on his seat. "They sell that sort of thing in Dervish and Banges, magical instruments and stuff. Fred and George told me."

"Do you know much about Hogsmeade?" I asked.

"I've read it's the only entirely non-Muggle settlement in Britain -" Hermione started.

"Yeah, I think it is," Ron said, waving his hand. "But that's not why I want to go. I just want to get inside Honeydukes!"

"What's that?" I asked.

"It's the sweetshop," Ron said, a dreamy look over-came his face, "Where they've got everything . . . Pepper Imps - they make you smoke at the mouth - and a great fat Chocoballs full of strawberry mousse and clotted cream, and really excellent sugar quills, which you can suck in class and just look like you're thinking what to write next -"

"But Hogsmeade's a very interesting place, isn't it?" Hermione pressed. "In sites of historical sorcery it says the inn was the headquarters for the 1612 goblin rebellion, and the shrieking shack's supposed to be the most severely haunted building in Britain -"

"- and massive sherbet balls that make you levitate a few inches off the ground while you're sucking them," Ron said, he wasn't listening to a word Hermione was saying.

I turned to Harry, but he was already looking at me,He turned away and blushed.

"Won't it be nice to get out of school for a bit and explore Hogsmeade together?" I said, laying my head on Harry's shoulder.

"Spect it will," Harry said heavily. "You'll have to tell me when you've found out."

"What d'you mean?" I asked.

"I can't go, the Dursleys didn't sign my permission form, and Fudge wouldn't either."

Ron turned to Harry, horrified.

"You're not allowed to come? But - no way - McGonagall or someone will give you permission -" Harry gave a hollow laugh. "- or we can ask Fred and George, they know secret passages put of the castle -"

"Ron!" Hermione said sharply. "I don't think Harry should be sneaking out of school with Black on the loose -"

"Yeah, I expect that's what McGonagall will say when I ask for permission," Harry said bitterly.

"But if we're with him," Ron said slowly, "Black wouldn't dare -"

"Oh, Ron, don't talk rubbish," I snapped, I lifted my head off of Harry's shoulder. "Black's already murdered a whole bunch of people in the middle of a crowded street. Do you really think he's going to worry about attacking Harry's just because we're there?"

Hermione fumbled with the straps of Crookshanks basket as I spoke, I took Jasper's carrying crate out and took him out.

"Don't let that thing out!" Ron shouted at Hermione, but too late; Crookshanks leapt lightly from the basket and onto Ron's knees; the lump in Ron's pocket trembled as he threw Crookshanks off of him.

"Get out of here!" He yelled.

"Animal cruelty!" I yelled pointing.

"Ron don't!" Hermione shrieked.

Professor Lupin stirred.

We all stopped and stared at him, but he simply turned his head the other way, his mouth was slightly open.

I looked out the window and saw the clouds darken. People outside the compartment were racing up and down the hallways. Crookshanks lay down next to the compartment door next to Harry.

At one o'clock, the witch with the food cart arrived at our compartment.

"D'you think we should wake him?" Ron said,he motioned towards Lupin, we all turned our heads awkwardly. "He looks like he could do with some food."

Hermione approached Lupin cautiously.

"Er - Professor?" She said. "Excuse me - Professor?"

He didn't move.

"Don't worry dear," the witch said, she handed Harry some Cauldron Cakes. "If he's hungry when he wakes, I'll be up front with the driver."

"I suppose he is sleeping?" I said quietly as the witch slid the compartment door closed and walked away. "I mean - he hasn't died, has he?"

We all slowly turned our heads towards him.

"No, no, he's breathing," Hermione whispered, she took a Cauldron Cake Harry passed her. Harry turned to m and handed me one too.

Midafternoon it started raining. I heard footsteps outside of our compartment again. And my three least favorite people in the world appears , Draco Malfoy, Vincent Crabbe and Gregory Goyle.

"Well, look who it is," Malfoy drawled, opening the compartment door. "Potty, Weasel and John."

"John?" I snorted as he scowled at me.

"I heard your father finally got some gold this summer, Weasley," Malfoy said. "Did your mother die of shock?"

Ron bolted up. Professor Lupin gave a snort.

"Who's that?" Malfoy said, he took a step backward as he spotted Lupin.

"New teacher," I said, I got to my feet and got in Malfoy's face. "What were you saying, Malfoy?"

Malfoy narrowed his eyes; he wasn't stupid enough to pick a fight in front of a teacher.

"C'mon," he muttered to Crabbe and Goyle, they disappeared.

Ron sat down and Harry pulled me down.

"I'm not going to take any crap from Malfoy this year," Ron said angrily. "I mean it. If he makes one more crack about my family, I'm going to get a hold of his head and -"

Ron made a violent gesture in midair.

"Ron," Hermione hissed as we have each other a high-five. "Be careful." Hermione pointed to Lupin, who was still asleep.

The rain thickened, the windows are now dark grey, it keeps darkening until the lanterns flicker to life all along the train. The rain hammered and the wind roared, but Lupin still slept.

"We must nearly be there," Ron said, he leaned forward to look out the pitch black window.

The train started to slow down.

"Great," Ron said. "I'm starving. I want to get to the feast . . . "

"We can't be there yet," Hermione checked her watch.

"So why're we stopping?" I asked.

The rain and wind got harder as the train slowed down more, and more.

The train came to a sudden jolt, then without warning all the lamps went out, everyone was in complete darkness.

I jumped up and grabbed Harry's arm.

"What's going on?" I whispered.

"Ouch!" Hermione gasped. "Ron, that was my foot!"

Harry sat back down and I followed.

"D'you think we've broken down?" Harry said.

"Dunno?" I whispered.

There was a squeaking sound, Ron had wiped a patch clean on the window and peered out.

"There's something moving out there," Ron said. "I think people are coming aboard. . . "

The compartment door suddenly opened and someone fell painfully on my legs.

"Sorry - d'you know what's going on? - ouch - sorry -"

"Hello, Neville," Harry and I said, Harry started feeling around in the dark, and pulled Neville up by his cloak.

"Harry? Penny? Is that you? What's happening?"

"No idea?" I said.

"Sit down," Harry said.

There was a loud hissing and a yelp of pain. Neville must've sat on Crookshanks.

"I'm going to ask the driver what's going on," Hermione's voice said.

"Me too," I said.

I stood up and felt past Harry, I slid the door open, with the help of Hermione. But we both bumped into someone. Hermione and I squealed and the other person did too.

Me. "Who's that?"

Hermione. "Who's that?"

Unknown. "Who's that?"

Me. "Ginny?

Ginny. "Penny? Hermione?"

Hermione. "What are you doing?"

Ginny. "I was looking for Ron -"

Me. "Come in and sit down-"

I walked over somewhere random and started sitting down.

"Not here!" Harry said hurriedly. "I'm here!"

I bolted up but someone pushed me and I fell on Harry's lap.

Harry. "Oww!"

Ginny. "Move!"

Ron. "Stop!"

Neville. "Ouch!"

"Quiet!" A hoarse voice rang out.

I jumped of fright and grabbed Harry.

A small light appears. Lupin appeard holding a match.

"Stay where you are," he said in the same scary voice, he slowly got to his feet. Harry pushed me gently off his lap.

But before Lupin reached the door, it slowly slid open.

Standing in the doorway was a cloaked figure that floated off the ground. It's face was hidden beneath its hood. My eyes traveled down towards its body, I gave a gasp and grabbed Harry's arm and scooted closer to him, almost under him.

The reason I did that was because the creatures hand was BONES!

The hand lifted and moved towards Harry and I. I buried my face into Harry.

But I then became cold and depressed, I felt lonely and unloved, I feel empty and sad.

I then heard a scream, it was terrible, I started crying.

Harry fell out of my arms, onto the ground and started twitching. I stared in horror, Ginny started crying and so did Hermione.

Lupin jumped up. "EXPECTO PETRONUM!" He shouted. A light shot out of his wand and drove the Dementor away.

I zoned out and bent down to Harry. The lights flickered on and the train started moving.

"Harry! Harry! Are you all right?" I said.

I lifted my hand and slapped his face.

"W-what?" He said.

He opened his eyes and looked around.

I helped him up and back into his seat.

"Are you okay?" I asked nervously.

"Yeah," Harry said, he looked to the door. "What happened? Where's that - that thing? Who screamed?"

"No one screamed," Ron said. I snapped my head towards him.

"But I heard screaming -" Harry said again.

A loud snap rang out. We all jumped and turned to see Lupin breaking chocolate into pieces.

"Here," he said, handing Harry a piece. "Eat it. It'll help."

Harry took the chocolate.

"What was that thing?" He asked Lupin.

"A Dementor," Lupin said, he handed a piece of chocolate to me. "One of the Dementors of Azkaban."

We all stared at him.

"Eat," he repeated. "It'll help. I need to speak to the driver, excuse me. . ."

He opened the compartment door and disappeared.

"Are you sure you're okay, Harry?" I asked.

"I don't get it . . . What happened?" Harry asked.

"Well - that thing - the Dementor - stood there and looked around ( I mean, I think it did, I couldn't see it's face) - and you - you-" Hermione stuttered.

"It was awful," I whispered. "You went sort of rigid and fell out of your seat and started twitching - Lupin jumped up and said 'Empeto Mofonom' ( I think) and a silver thing shot out of his wand, it drove the Dementor away . . . "

"Did you feel how cold it got when it came in?" Neville said, shivering at the thought.

"It felt weird," Ron said, he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. "Like I'd never be cheerful again . . ."

Ginny started crying, Hermione walked over and put a comforting arm over her.

"But didn't any of you - fall off your seats?" Harry looked awkward.

"No," I replied.

"Hermione was shaking, bad though. . " Ron said, glancing at Hermione.

Lupin came back. He paused as he entered and looked around, a small smile playing on his face as he said, "I haven't poisoned that chocolate, you know. . . "

I took a bite and felt warmth spread through my body, I plopped the whole thing into my mouth.

"We'll be at Hogwarts in ten minutes," Lupin said. "Are you all right, Harry?"

"Fine," he muttered, he sounded embarrassed.

I grasped his hand and lay my head back on his shoulder.

We didn't talk much after that, we would all just look at the floor, I kept my hold on Harry's hand: Harry started rubbing circles on the back of my hand. The train stopped at the Hogsmeade satiation.

I grabbed Jasper and put my jacket on, good thing I did: it was freezing on the platform. I tucked Jasper inside my fluffy jacket to keep him warm.

Ron, Hermione, Harry and I followed the rest of our fellow students. Several large stagecoaches awaited us. I think they're pulled by a invisible horse, because when the four of us climbed in and shut the door, the coaches started to move by itself.

As we got to the gate, two large Dementors floated at the enterance. I looked at Harry as he leaned his head back.

I poked him gently in the stomach, he jolted and looked at me. I smiled innocently, he turned away and I poked him again. He jolted again and turned towards me, he had a small smirk on his face. Next thing I know, he's on top of me, tickling me to death. I stated laughing like crazy person.

"Guys, we're here," Hermione giggled.

Harry got off me and jumped out of the carriage. I walked to the little door and saw Harry how to me.

"M' lady," he put an arm behind his back and held the other out. I giggled as he helped me down.

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?" A voice drawled, a voice I know very well.

He elbowed me out of the way as I fell backwards.

"Shove off, Malfoy," Ron snapped.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" Malfoy said loudly. "Did the Dementors frighten you too, Weasley?"

I heard a faint hiss inside my jacket. Hermione came over and helped me off the ground.

"Is there a problem?" A mild voice said. Professor Lupin had came out of the next carriage.

"Oh, no - professor," Malfoy said sarcastically. He smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and walked away.

I took Jasper out of my coat and smiled at the boy as we walked up the marble steps towards the entrance hall.

I pushed our noses together, Jasper grabbed the sides with his tiny claws and started licking the tip of my nose. I giggled and stroked his precious head.

"Potter! Jone! Granger! I want to see you three!"

I voice shouted, Harry, Hermione and I glanced at each other, then turned around. McGonagall was fighting against the sea of students to get to us.

Harry and I fought our way over to her, we both had a worried look on us.

"There's no need to look so worried - I just want a word in my office," she told us. "Move along there, Weasley."

She ushered Hermione, Harry and I away. We soon arrived at her office, McGonagall motioned us inside. She settled herself behind her desk.

"Well. . . Sit down," she said, there was only one chair. She smiled and waved her wand. A red, blue and purple beanbags appeared, we each sat down. "Professor Lupin sent an owl ahead to say that you were take ill on the train, Potter."

There was a knock on the door and Madam Pomfrey bustled in.

I glanced at Harry; his face was red and he looked annoyed.

"I'm fine," he said, "I don't need anything -"

"Oh, it's you, is it?" Madam Pomfrey bent down and stared closely at Harry. "I suppose you've been doing something dangerous again?"

"It was a Dementor, Poppy," McGonagall said.

She started muttering stuff about Dementor and safety as she checked Harry's forehead.

"Setting Dementors around a school," she muttered. "He won't be the last one who collapses. Terrible things, they are, and the effect they have on delicate people-"

"I'm not delicate!" Harry said crossly.

"What does he need?" McGonagall said, ignoring him. "Bed, rest? Should he perhaps spend the night in the hospital wing?"

"Professor McGonagall, I assure you, Harry is fine. It's very natural to faint in the Muggle world, perhaps all he needs right now is more chocolate," I said. I know Harry is embarrassed by all this and it'll make it worse to go to the hospital wing, he thinks he's not delicate or important. But he is to me, so I want to stick up for him.

McGonagall smiled at me and Harry, a small twinkle was in her eye.

"Yes, perhaps you're righ, Miss Jone," she smiled.

"Professor Lupin already gave us some on the train," I said.

"Did he now?" Madam Pomfrey said approvingly. "So we've finally got a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher who knows his remedies?"

"Are you sure you feel all right, Potter?" McGonagall said softly. (Which, by the way, is very strange)

"Yes," Harry stressed.

"Very well. Kindly wait outside while I have a quick word with Miss Jone and Miss Granger about there course schedule, then you can go down to the feast together."

Long story short; I got a time turner, it goes back in time so Hermione and I can do our classes. We each got one, but we can't tell anyone we have them.

Hermione and I exited, Harry jumped up and hugged me.

"Thank you so much in there, I probably would've lost my head in there," Harry said.

"Oh, well, don't do that. I like your head," I smiled and ruffled his hair.

He turned away and blushed.

"Oh," Hermione said as we entered the Great Hall. "We've missed the sorting!"

McGonagall strode in and into her seat at the teachers table.

Harry, Hermione and I sat down next to Ron.

Harry told Ron everything that just happened but broke off as Dumbledore began to speak.

"Welcome!" He said, beaming at us all. "Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it's best to get out of the way before you become befuddled by our excellent feast . . . As you all will be aware after the search on Hogwarts Express, that our school is presently playing host to some Dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business. . . They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds, and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises - or even invisibility Cloaks," Harry, Ron and I glanced at each other. "It is not in the nature of a Dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give them reason to harm you. I look to the prefects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure that no student runs a foul of the Dementors. . . . On happier not. I am pleased to welcome two knew teachers to our rank this year. First, Professor Lupin, who has kindly consecrated to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Neville and I all clapped the hardest, also because no one else did.

"Look at Snape!" Ron hissed.

I looked up to Snape and saw complete loathing as he looked at Lupin, he mostly used that look for Harry.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued. "Well, I a sorry to tell you that Professor Kettleburn, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Almost everyone clapped as Ron complained about the book Hagrid assigned.

Then the feast began.

Everyone was talking or laughing. I cut a piece of chocolate cake and gave it to Harry. He turned to me and raised his eyebrow.

"I was serious back there, you need chocolate," I said over the loud talking. He rolled his eyes and ate the cake.

We ate quickly and ran up to the teachers table.

"Congratulations, Hagrid!" Hermione and I squealed.

"Congrats!" Ron said.

Hagrid feared up as we joined the fellow Gryffindors.

We made it up to the Gryffindor common room, the password is 'Fortune Major'. I'm really tired, I said good-night to Harry and Ron as Hermione and I went to our dormitory.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 20.8K 57
Hogwarts and the Ministry of Magic fall to the power of the Dark Lord. Harry and the Weasleys manage to escape, but Hermione finds herself stuck in t...
7.5K 223 70
Athena black, is now in her third year at Hogwarts with her best friends by her side. She has been head over heels for her best friend Harry Potter...
222K 11.8K 132
#1 Hermionegranger (22/5/22) #1 Hermionexmalereader (20/5/22) #1 PennyHaywood (21/11/23) The third year of Y/N's time at Hogwarts and he is finally i...
2.1K 42 13
The Harry and Hermione timeline continues in Year 3 at Hogwarts welcome back viewers to another Fan Fiction where we dive back into the Harry Potter...