It's Always Been You

By Shaylinkay

Chanel Westermore grew up in the firehouse that her father worked at. Her and her older brother, Sean, spent... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Note
Chapter 7
Chapter Eight
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19

Chapter 6

5.4K 102 8
By Shaylinkay

I can't even think straight. Shay isn't his girlfriend? It's hard to believe with how they act and how close they are. Shay seems like the perfect girl for Kelly. I guess it makes sense since they're best friends, but they could've went without saying anything for months and I wouldn't have known.

But anyways, after embarrassing myself, I lay down in my bunk and try to take a quick nap before anything else happens or I have to do something. As I'm laying there, Shay comes up to me and sits on the foot of my bed.

"So I hear you think I've got Severide wrapped around my finger." She says with a grin formed across her thin face.

I roll my eyes and force out a laugh. "I don't think your sexual orientation makes a difference on that one." I come back with, pretty pleased with myself for that remark.

Shay laughs at my comment, but her expression changes quickly. "He hasn't stopped talking my ear off about you since you walked through that door this morning." She admits to me and stands up, looking down at me now she says to me, "It's nice to have you here at 51 with us."

"Thanks." I reply as my heart accelerates at the fact that Kelly has been talking about me all shift. "And thanks for being a lesbian." I chuckle.

"Why a thanks for that?" Shay asks with a confused expression.

I pull out my phone and check the time, not wanting to make eye contact. "Because if you weren't I'd never have a chance with Kelly."

Shay grins and stuffs her hands in her pockets. "You're welcome." She tells me then turns on a heel and walks out of the bunk area.

That really got me thinking and for the rest of the shift, while nothing else exciting happened, my mind couldn't stop racing.

**************************************************************************************

After I got off shift, I went home and was greeted by my two little rascals.

"Mommy!" Emily shouts as I walk through the front door with my gym bag. I had to drop it to swoop the running child into my arms.

"Hi, sweetie." I chuckle as I give my daughter a squeeze. "Did you miss me?"

She nods her head up and down about ten times then buries her face in my neck. "Can we go to the park today?" She asks, her voice muffled.

"Of course we can." I agree and walk into the living room with my little monkey girl.

As soon as I get into the living room, Scotty jumps up and is by my side in a second.

"Mom! You're home!" He exclaims and hugs the side of my waist. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, buddy. But I was thinking I could take you and your sister to the park today?"

Scotty lets go of me and starts bouncing up and down like a baby kangaroo. "Can we, can we?"

"Of course." I tell him as I ruffled his shaggy hair. "Go get grandpa and see if he wants to come with us."

"Okay!" Scott agrees then sprints off towards my dad's room.

I set Emily down on the couch in the living room before I walk in the direction Scotty went. As I enter the hallway back to my dad's room, he and Scotty come out.

"Grandpa says he wants to go to the park too!" Scotty exclaims happily and grabs my hand. "Let's go, mommy!"

"Let's eat some breakfast first, then we can go." I offer and pick Scotty up. Dear God, this kid is getting heavy. "How much do you weigh now, kid?"

"A lot!" He giggles and hugs me.

My dad speaks up next. "I'll make them some eggs and bacon. Go take a shower and get freshened up." He instructs me.

I put Scotty down as soon as we get in the living and he runs to and jumps on the couch beside Emily.

"I guess I should shower. Thanks, Dad." I tell him, kiss his cheek then walk upstairs to my bedroom to get some clothes. Today I decide that I was going to wear a tank top in the 80 degree heat.

I walk out of my room and into the bathroom. After I strip down, I hop into the shower quickly and wash up. The water feels amazing today. My body aches a bit from the stress of work, but the ache is in a good way. I am doing what I love again and no one can take it away from me. Not even Robert, who tried to take everything from me. Sure, he left his mark on me, but he never broke my spirit.

"Chanel!" My dad knocks on the door.

I turn off the water and grab a towel. "What's up?" I ask from the other side of the door.

"Kelly Severide is in the kitchen."

"What?" I ask and open the door. "What does he want?" I ask, completely baffled as to why Kelly is here to see me.

My dad laughs at me. "You're face still lights up red when I mention his name to this day." He chuckles, covering his mouth with his hand.

"Shut up, Dad." I whisper and gently tap his shoulder. "Tell him I'll be down in a minute."

"Fine." My dad giggles and turns away and makes his way back down the stairs to the first floor.

I shut the door and throw my clothes on as fast as I can. I put some eyeliner on and mascara, brush my teeth and brush through my hair after it was towel dried. It looks a little frizzy, but I don't care right now. Kelly Severide made a point to come to my dad's house and ask for me.

After I look in the mirror and make sure my hair is perfect, I bounce down the steps to the kitchen. I walk out to see Kelly has taken my seat at the table and is eating breakfast with my dad and kids. They are all talking. My kid's are raddling off questions to Kelly.

"Do you like being a fireman?" Scotty asks, leaning up in his seat, his feet on the chair and he's crouched in a squatting position.

Kelly nods while taking a forkful of eggs into his mouth. "I think it's the best job in the whole entire world." He says to Scotty as he eyes make contact with mine. His eyes are so bright blue, I can't help but stare.

My dad clears his throat when he notices me and Kelly are taking too long to look anywhere else.

"Scotty, sit on your chair!" I say sternly and pick him up so he can swing his legs out easier. Scotty does swing his legs out and I lower him so his butt is now on the chair. "Gentlemen sit on their booties." I whisper and kisshis cheek.

He giggles and cringes. "You said 'booty' mom!" He screeches with a laugh.

"Booty, booty, booty!" I giggle as I attack my little boy's neck and cheek with kisses and tickle his sides.

"Mom!" He exclaims with joy. "You're tickling me!"

"Okay, I'll stop." I give in and pull my hands away.

Scotty looks at me. "Thanks." He smiles then looked at his little sister.

"I want tickled, mommy!" Emily giggles, putting her hands up in the air.

I walk over to her slowly and laugh. "I'm gonna get you now!" Then I lung forward and tickle Emily's belly.

She curls into a ball and roars with high-pitched laughter. After a couple of tickles, I stand up and look between my dad and Kelly.

"I hear you're going to the park today." Kelly grins as he chews up the last of his food and washes it down with some orange juice.

I put a hand on my hip and nod. "We are."

"Care if I join you guys?" Kelly asks as he stands up to take his plate to the sink.

I stop him before he can walk two steps towards the sink and take his plate from him. "If you want to, the more the merrier." I say, trying to sound completely un-nerved by his presence in the room. I turn around and put his plate to the sink, wash it off and set it to dry.

"Sounds good to me." My dad chimes as he stands up slowly from his chair, cane grasped in his hand to steady him.

Kelly stays in his spot and in the small kitchen, we're pretty close. We're so close that I can feel the steady beat of my heart in my chest. It feels like it's fighting to push through my ribcage with how hard it's pounding.

"Can we play catch at the park?" Scotty asks me from his chair, bouncing slightly because he's so excited to go.

I nod towards the living room. "Go get our gloves and I'll play." I crack a smile at the sight of Scotty jumping out of his chair and sprinting to the living room.

"Your kid is so hyper." Kelly chuckles, his laugh makes me aware once again of how close we are.

I cross my arms and look at Kelly. His eyes are already on mine. "I wouldn't want him to be any other way." I raise the corner of my mouth to form a half-smile.

Kelly mirrors me movements and puts his hands in his pockets. "He's a great kid." He comments and his eyes move to Emily who has walked over to us and has her arms raised up at Kelly.

"Can I have a piggy back ride to the park?" She asks with her puppy dog eyes that she works so well.

I shake my head and pick Emily up before Kelly can. "Kelly isn't here to carry you around, honey. You're getting too big."

"Awe, come on, Chan." Kelly tilts his head and gives me his puppy dog eyes. "I'd love to give Emily a piggy back ride."

"Please, mommy!" Emily leans back in my arms.

I sigh and give in. "Okay. Fine." I say and as soon as the words leave my lips, Emily flies into Kelly's arms.

Kelly catches her with extreme stealth and I feel my face heat up with embarrassment at how poorly behaved Emily seems right now.

But Emily makes me laugh like always when she wraps her tiny arms around Kelly's neck and giggles. "You smell good!" She exclaims and smells Kelly's neck again.

I let out a laugh and so does Kelly and my dad. At this moment, Scotty appears back in the kitchen with the gloves and baseball.

"Ready to go?" I ask and Scotty nods. So with that, we all get together and leave the house. We walk to the park; I hold scotty's hand, Kelly carries Emily on his shoulders and my dad walks in the middle with his cane.

We all make small talk as we walk the 3 blocks to the park. I try to avoid all conversation about myself as I let Kelly and my dad pretty much catch up. It's nice to see my dad so talkative and reminiscing about his days in the CFD. Him and Kelly talk the entire way there. They laugh as they tell stories about the countless times Kelly got into trouble after I left with my mom. I can't help but laugh along when I hear them. I had no idea Kelly Severide was such a trouble makers.

But when he looks at me, I have a feeling he still is.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 3.6K 43
Moving from Madrid to Chicago and starting as a paramedic at firehouse 51, all Liz Severide wants is two things: leave her old life behind and stay a...
44.2K 850 30
Co-Writer: @BrooklynDaniels32 After being discharged from the Special Forces after an Op went wrong, Elizabeth returned home to the States. Suffering...
212K 2.9K 53
One single fire changed a life forever. Alexis Morgan had a whole family but then poof they were gone. But fastforward 8 years and Alexis has her lif...
141K 2K 45
Detective Logan Rayner, a 24 year old woman from Chicago, Illinois has been in the Special Crimes Unit at the 31st district for a year and a half wit...