The Queen and the Dagger

بواسطة writingrooster

In the land of Mankahar, the human Empire has discovered how to rob animals of speech in order to "pacify" th... المزيد

The Queen and the Dagger - Prologue
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter 1
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Two
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Three
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Four
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Five
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Six
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Seven
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Nine
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Ten
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Eleven
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Twelve
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Thirteen
The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Fourteen

The Queen and the Dagger - Chapter Eight

88 14 3
بواسطة writingrooster

Feeling upset always led her to the same place.

Indigo entered the training yard, a patch of flattened grass northwest of the main warrens where the royals honed their fighting skills. Whenever her mind felt scattered, she could always rely on sword movements to calm and center her. Strange, she thought now, that it had been Kalmara who had first shown her how sword play could soothe as well as stimulate the mind. Was there a distinct moment where their relationship had started to sour? Or had it been a gradual erosion, their opposing natures grating more and more with the years? Everything had changed once her mother and Azel died.

She chose a practice blade from the wooden rack, its face scarred from numerous sessions, and began thrusting and hacking at one of the straw targets propped in a corner. It felt good to focus her anger, to have an enemy to shred. Soon she was sweating in the afternoon warmth, her arm burning from the exertion.

She didn't know what her aunt would decide, but surely the queendoms couldn't stay, not with Argasar's story of what had happened to the Blackmoons. Indigo thrust with even greater frustration at the thought that her aunt had, as always, disregarded her opinion. Kalmara would never fight. The most she would do would be to flee north, possibly invade other territories rather than defend her own. Indigo felt a rush of bitterness. It wasn't even Kalmara's decision to make, as she should rightfully be queen.

"I guess there's some truth to the rumors. You can hold a sword."

She didn't bother to glance back. Kuno's considerable frame cast most of the training yard in shadow.

"Did you mean it? About my being chosen to join the Order?"

The bear moved to a cistern of water in one corner and buried his muzzle for a deep drink. He raised his dribbling face and wiped it dry with one furry arm. "What do you think?"

"I wonder whether the Order only wanted me for my queendom."

Kuno began examining the practice blades, testing some of them with one paw. "It's a pity if we can't have Alvareth behind the Order. But no, the main reason I came was for you, Princess. The head of the Order named you."

Indigo stopped in mid stab. She had heard much of the Order's controversial leader, as many had. "Is it true he's a—"

Kuno nodded. "Yes. It's true. But even so, I'd trust him with my life. You can, too." He caught her looking at the scars that marked his body: some minor, others evidence of having grazed death. "Mankahar is in the midst of dark times."

"So is Alvareth." Indigo shook her head. "Would you ever believe we were once a queendom of fierce warriors?"

"Borla told me the law," the bear said, stepping closer. "There's no rule to say how long a regent can deny you the throne."

"What are you saying?"

"That unless you have the support of the whole of Alvareth, Kalmara may never make you queen."

"My father wouldn't allow that," Indigo argued. "Besides, Alvareth would support me."

The bear shook his head. "Maybe in spirit. But her hold on those with power is strong as gout on old bones. You'd be hard pressed to contest her now."

Indigo knew he was right. All these years she'd spent training at the sword, hoping the Order would accept her, while her aunt had been tightening her grip on Alvareth. She had been strengthening her own meager fighting arm while Kalmara had been strengthening her entire political base. She berated herself for being so blind.

"Perhaps I am not suited to be queen," she said bitterly.

The bear shook his head. "You're suited. But you may have to prove it to Alvareth."

Just then Borla hurried over, tense. "The queendoms have decided on your initiation."

Indigo refused to be rushed, gathering her thoughts as she carefully wiped down and replaced her blade. She then followed Borla through the maze of residential warrens to the sacred smoke house of the Holy One.

Every queendom had a sacred warren where important matters were weighed, chewed over, and decided. Alvareth's was the largest of all the queendoms, and its priest was one of the most respected.

Indigo turned to Kuno. "I'm sorry, but—"

"I know. Outsiders can't enter," the bear said. "I will wait for news here."

Indigo drew a deep breath and nodded to Borla, who opened the warren flap and followed her in.

The heady, musty tang of jairun weed greeted her, seeping into her fur. Only the most momentous decisions required the use of jairun, a rare plant from the south capable of generating powerful dreams. Judging from the haze, Indigo guessed the pipe had been passed around at least twice. Her head reeled even without having partaken.

The seven queens were ranged around the central hearth where stones to heat the jairun sat atop smoldering embers. Indigo could make out her aunt at the northern end, with three queens on either side. The Holy One, a blade-thin wisp of a rabbit whose tattoos had faded over the years, sat near the hearth, pinching pieces of jairun into a pot nestled in the stones.

"Be seated," Kalmara said once Indigo had clapped her paws in greeting towards each of the queens. She obeyed, though cautiously, trying to keep her head from reeling.

"The other queens and I have spoken and agree that the Spring Runs are to be suspended for the time being. We have therefore devised a new initiation rite for those who ran this year."

Indigo tried to keep her face impassive. Here it comes.

"Those who ran shall be tested by Uldana, our royal sword instructor. She will have say over who displays skill enough to be initiated."

Indigo held her breath, confused. That was it? Uldana was a respected sword swinger, and had taught all the royals, but to simply have to display skill—it was almost too easy.

"If I pass I shall then come of age and inherit the queendom?" Indigo asked.

The queens looked at each other. Horjanna, a dark jet rabbit whose ears and paws were riddled with white, answered. "A crown princess's initiation should be special, and not like the others."

Indigo's jaw tightened. This was not Alvareth custom, but something her aunt had probably persuaded the queens to support. "No disrespect, but is it not traditional for crown princesses to be tested in the same way as everyone else? To show we do not put ourselves above others?"

"But a crown princess is above others," Kalmara said. "This is a chance to show you're not like everyone else, but unique. Powerful. A true warrior queen." Indigo sensed the hint of mockery. "You have been training hard at the sword. Some even say you are the best. Therefore, to earn your initiate's tattoos you must win against Alvareth's top sword wielder."

Indigo flushed as if slapped.

Borla stiffened. "You would fight your own niece?"

"I would fight those who may not place Alvareth's interests above their own," the regent replied, cool. She turned back to Indigo. "As Queen Regent I am formally challenging your right to the Alvareth throne, to be determined by sword combat."

Indigo tried not to suffocate on the jairun smoke, now pressing in on her like a shroud. Her world was making no sense. She felt as if invisible shackles had clamped onto her, and she didn't know how to escape. She didn't even know how to answer.

"I'm doing what's best for Alvareth," Kalmara continued. "You've been chosen by the Order, which is a great honor. But someone must look after the queendom while you are gone."

"My becoming queen and my joining the Order do not affect one another!" It took all of Indigo's self-control to keep her voice even.

"It does if you intend to take Alvareth to war," Horjanna said.

And suddenly it all fell into place, as if a blindfold had been ripped from Indigo's eyes.

Kalmara had preyed on the other queens' fear of war, painting her niece as the hot-blooded, inexperienced princess who would embroil them all in the Order's battle against the Urzoks. Better to send her off to the Order and let Kalmara remain in power. Borla—wise, politically astute Borla—would have seen this coming. But not Indigo. Never before had she so envied her sister's ability to untangle Alvareth's political web, which to her remained so opaque. She remembered her outburst when Kuno had first arrived, saying he would have her allegiance once she was queen. What a fool, to have shown her intent too publicly, too early!

"Since Kuno wishes to leave as soon as possible," Kalmara said, "I think it best to have the test tomorrow. Unless you object."

Tomorrow. That gave her little chance to prepare. Yet asking for more time would, Indigo knew, be an admission of weakness.

"And if I lose?" Indigo asked. The words stuck in her throat, but she had to find out how far the other queens had turned against her. Kalmara cast a glance at Horjanna.

The old queen's gaze was gentle, but unapologetic. "Then we will support Kalmara as Alvareth's permanent queen, to rule until the end of her natural life."

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

3.5K 108 18
***this is not my original story*** ***this is for offline purposes**** On the day of the blind date, the man turned out to be fat, short, and greasy...
Bromance بواسطة နှောင်း

الخيال (فانتازيا)

292K 39.9K 20
လက်တွေ့ဘဝနှင့် နီးစပ်ချင်ယောင်ဆောင်ခြင်း
Little White Lies بواسطة Nam

غموض / الإثارة

2.4K 140 27
Candice White. Heiress of the White Jewelry, proud sorority sister in UCLA, and recently declared Business major. Her life revolved around parties, b...
The family's baby بواسطة Kitten is little

الخيال (فانتازيا)

911K 31K 110
When Grace returns home from college, it doesn't go like she thought it would. With her past still haunting her everyday choices, she discovers a sid...