The Boy: Brandon Dursely

By KidOfTheAshes

Brandon Dursely was raised knowing who he was and who he will be - but not quite. His adoptive parents had ju... More

DISCLAIMER
Chapter 1: Bran
Chapter 2: The Letter
Chapter 3: The Truth of Harry Potter
Chapter 4: Diagon Alley
Chapter 5: Diagon Alley 2
Chapter 6: Hogwarts Express
Chapter 7: The Sorting Ceremony
Chapter 8: Friends
Chapter 9: Slytherin
Chapter 10 - First Day
Chapter 11: Detention
Chapter 12: Flying
Chapter 13: Training... or not?
Chapter 14: Exploration
Chapter 15: Quidditch
Chapter 16: A Turn Of Events
Chapter 18: Hols
Chapter 19: Snow!
Chapter 20: What Transpired?
Chapter 21: As You Sleep
Chapter 22: Almost Christmas
Chapter 23: Almost Christmas - The 2nd Part
Chapter 24: The Night Before Christmas
Chapter 25: Yule
Chapter 26: The First Ride
A Special Chapter: Harry's letter
Chapter 27: Beyond Everything
Chapter 28: Resuming of Term and the Stone
Chapter 29: The Restricted Section and the Philosopher's Stone
Chapter 30: Boil, Boil, Boil!
Chapter 31: BOOM!
Chapter 32: St. Therese of the Child Jesus Orphanage.
Chapter 33: The Missing Link
Chapter 34: To Find
Chapter 35: Mister Snape's Adventure
Chapter 36: Brandon Hadrian Snape
Chapter 37: Back to Hogwarts
Chapter 38: 'Please Don't Leave'
Chapter 39: Crushes & Quidditch Seekers
Chapter 40: Fathering Business
Of Ends and Starts
PART 2 COMES UP IN A JIFYYYYYYYYYYY!
3 chapters!

Chapter 17: Revelation

4.5K 199 13
By KidOfTheAshes

Severus Snape paced back and forth, and back and forth. Dumbledore had said he found a crucial information concerning the Potter boy, who was still under Pomfrey's observation in the Infirmary. He was put under a temporary nutrition potion supplement to make up for his lost energy and nutrients. The boy was getting thinner, though, despite the dark circles under the boy's eyes and the dazed look was not constant anymore. The boy could now talk, but he still has not said anything about what had happened to his family, except that he had a fatigue due to '...lack of sleep or giving time to eat' was the excuse the boy told his friends. Severus frowned when he saw a flock of the first years visiting to the boy. He never knew that the boy now had a gang of his own, and they all seemed to purebloods, with the exception of Granger.

He had been called to be with the Headmaster for tea, and thankful that this day was another lazy school day, he went to thinking about what would the Headmaster reveal to him this time. The last time was a bit of a scary memory, not for him but for the Potter boy-

Stop, Snape! Did you just show that you are concerned about the boy? Do you even remember who the boy looked like? Who the boy's father was?!

Yes, he does. But sometimes, he himself was bewildered why he had felt this about the boy- but it all proved that he was human, after all.

Prone to foolish sentimentality and idiotic empathy.

He wanted to slap himself again, but what excuse does he even have for feeling pity on the wretched brat?

Lost his parents to a self proclaimed dark lord, and now loosing his family to Muggles.

Severus now let memories slip. Was it not that he himself was put under the same misery, but under different circumstances? Losing his mother, whom he loved and loved him at fifteen because of a disease, and being abused since he could remember- by his own father, nonetheless. And of course, loving a woman who never, never looked at him the way he saw her, and her ending up married to the man who made his school days a living Hell.

At the last memory, Snape was snapped out by the grandfather's clock that chimed, stating that it was already three in the afternoon and Dumbledore was expecting him and not a moment later. He went through the Floo and strode towards his mentor, who smiled as soon as he saw him. Surprisingly, Minerva was there, looking a bit confused.

Well, Dumbledore seems to be in a good mood today...

Dumbledore seemed serious this past few days, and did not, for once, summoned him for three days. After telling the unfortunate accident to the boy, and the boy slaving himself, the Headmaster seemed to look a bit forlorn.

But now, he seemed pleased about something, and the twinkle in those blue eyes were back.

"Sit down, sit down, Severus. Tea?? The man offered and Snape nodded.

"What is it, Headmaster?" Snape inquired behind his cup.

"You are both aware of Mister... Potter's situation, yes?" He asked them both and they said nodded, "Then I believe you must have an idea as to why I called for you?"

"Have you found someone to entrust the boy to, Albus?" Minerva was having the first words as usual, and the older man smiled widely at the question.

"I have found something better, Minerva. I was busy this past few days that our Mister Potter- er, Dursely was kept with Poppy. The boy has not been breached by... other forces yet as we speak. So, I have initiated a visit to the boy's previous home, and checked the blood wards. You are aware of these, yes?"

Does the old coot take them for an eleven year old who just discovered the Wizarding World?!

"Yes, yes. We all know the blasted wards, Albus, now spit out what you have found!" Severus said, clearly turning irritated as the older man told his tale.

"Oh yes, well. The blood wards for the house are not active as expected, but, I have found out through searching that some other blood ward is still existing, and we all know that a blood ward for a certain person can only be for him, and no one else, yes?"

The revelation shook both wizard and witch in front of Dumbledore, and it was evident in their eyes.

Severus Snape felt like he was struck on the head with such a force that it left him almost swimming.

Another blood ward existing? Was it not that the boy was an only child, so was his father? Was it not that the Black mutt was rotting in Azkaban? And was it not that the boy's family were all murdered last week? And sweet, hunting Merlin, does.that mean that another blood ward had exosted after all this time?!

Another blood ward! With whom?! The last Potter was the boy- they have checked through and through. The Potter House was a dying House, even before James Potter, after all. And Lily- Lily's family were all gone, spreading through the globe. Her cousins did not want anything to do with her, and blood wards come with first and foremost, blood relation and familial love, or if not, acceptance and care or that the boy was entrusted by the parents themselves to the person to take care of him when they are gone.

He had known of the traditional Wizarding method of Entrust when he became Draco Malfoy's godfather. He was the godfather, but the Entrusted of the boy was Andromeda Tonks, who was Narcissa's sister. Bellatrix was downright mental, and Lucius' family... well, purebloods (aside Weaselys) were known to have one or two offspring at a time, and the Malfoys and Blacks were related, after all. Andromeda seemed to be the best choice, since she was a kind, gentle soul, much like Molly Weasely, without the incessant hugs and the touchy sort. Not to mention the two sisters being close before Andromeda married a Muggle, Theodore 'Teddy' Tonks. Their daughter Nymphadora was a bubbly yet clumsy girl and bless her, she got her mother's accepting character.

"How can we be sure of it, Albus? We know no one who was related to the boy in any way!" Minerva asked.

"I do not know yet, Minerva, that is why I called you here, since Lily and James have trusted you with many things and you have known their acquaintances as well. And Severus, you are Lily's friend, so I hope you might know some one to whom they could have entrusted the boy to."

"I do not know, Albus. Lily and James never mentioned anyone whom they entrusted the boy to. Sirius Black was the boy's godfather, yes, and Remus Lupin was a close friend, but it is Lupin- it would be impossible. He has an..." a pause, as if the wotch was weighing what to say, "...ailment and he was the one who declined and told James and Lily to find someone else. As for Sirius, we all know that Blood Wards would only work of the boy was Entrusted to him, and we would be notified right away. But we weren't."

Snape had to agree with the Scottish Witch. She had made a point, "Minerva is right, Headmaster. As of now, we know no one whom Lily and Potter entrusted the boy to. So, we must find a way to find the individual and see of he is fit to be the boy's guardian."

There was pregnant pause, and after a few moments, Dumbledore nodded, "Very well. Please notify Mister Pot- er, Dursely of the current... predicament, Severus, since you are his Head of House. A good afternoon to you both."

With that, they were dismissed.

----

The next few days were hectic as Severus, Minerva and Dumbledore all tore through series and series of archives of the names of people who may or may not be friends, related or acquainted with the late James and Lily Potter. As for the Potter boy, Snape had called him after the Halloween feast to tell him about the situation he was in. The boy was silent as he told him this, and resolved only to, 'Alright, Sir. Thank you. Sorry if I was ever a bother'. He seemed to have taken the liberty to remain quiet and reserved towards his friends, but at least now, they knew the real reason to the boy's behavior, although Severus was thankful that not one in the Snake Gang dared to say a word to the others.

Only five days after the Halloween Feast and after the troll incident, as Severus was marking yet another batch of poorly written essays on how to crush belladona for his fifth year, did Dumbledore called for him.

"Ah, my boy!" Dumbledore looked like a walking rainbow at the absurd shades of violet, pink and other unknown colors with wands swishing of his robe. Severus already guessed that the old man was having a party in his head at whatever nonsense he has found out yet again, "How good to see you! Care for a cuppa?" The blasted twinkle in his eyes were brighter and his face seemed to be overstretched at the consistent smile the coot wore. Snape grimaced inwardly.

Whatever could be the old man up to, eh?

A 'woosh' was heard and Snape looked back to see Minerva McGonagall brushing the soot off her own robes, "Oh, Severus. Good to see you." She was not chirping, but she seemed too glad to see him, as if she had already known what the hell Dumbledore was partying in his mind for even before he was called. 

"Please, do sit, my friends," Dumbledore then proceeded to procure something from his personal cabinet, "Ah!" He exclaimed. Turning his back at them, he was holding a well worn parchment and the twinkle in his eyes made Severus' eyes hurt. It was almost... blinding.

"What I have in my hand, lady and gentleman, is a confidential document that is to be the answer to our current problem concerning Mister..." a pause, another smile, "Dursely." The last word almost sound amusing and Snape came to settle his nerves with a sneer and a glare.

What now?! Blasted meddling old coot!

"Severus, my boy, if you please?" Dumbledore was handing to him the parchment. Severus stared at it in suspicion, "Come now, Severus, it is only- as you can see, a parchment."

With a suppressed sigh, Snape took the parchment and began to unroll it. It was not that long, and not too short either. It was well-preserved and the scrawl on it was thick, the letters written in long hand. Snape skimmed through it; it was nothing, really, just a will of intent and whatnot- the usual Last and Will Testament of parents to a child, or children, and was surprised to find his name among the heap of words on it. He had to restart reading the clause, as if trying to make sure that it was really there, and that it was not someone else's name.

"... Therefore we, JAMES POTTER and LILY EVANS-POTTER do hereby grant to our friend, SEVERUS SNAPE, the care of our child, HARRY JAMES POTTER, in the situation that, Fate forbid, we are to pass away due to any circumstance. We have found him trustworthy and suitable to care for our child in our absence and will be able to provide his every need. This document will give him To this, we attest in our Magic and our Life."

"I can tell that you are quite... taken aback, Severus."

Taken aback? That is an understatement. Taken aback?

"Severus?" Snape stood, shock still visible in his dark eyes. The two older witch and wizard looked at each other, then to their colleague.

His heart seem to constrict itself, his breathing too shallow and too loud and before he knew it  his hands trembled, his knees went weak and... he was crying. No, they were not desperate, mourning tears. They were tears of guilt and the emotions that just kept on being there. Breathing almost hurt!

Him?! How could a man who was sour, dour and vile, could ever be entrusted with a child? Much more... Lily's child? And to think that Potter- James Potter, his childhood bully, his lifelong nemesis, and the brat's father agreed to this?

This had to be  mistake! This is madness?

But is it really? The paper rustled in his hand, and after all, he was a wizard. A man capable of Magic. He knew how it worked, and nothing, absolutely nothing can make him forget the way Lily wrote her name. The letter Y always had this graceful, thin curve and the E in Evans always was a little thick with the lines. The S was so much like how he wrote his own, but much straighter than his spidery scrawl- and that was how jt was written. A Preservation Charm- no doubt Lily's doing, made it look like they made the document only yesterday.

And God, how it hurt. It made hjs heart seem so huge, so huge that it would not fit in his chest, that it was about to be crushed at any momemt and he would stop breathing in an instant. Surely, this was how dying felt like.

"Severus?" This time, it was Minerva who asked, truly taken aback by how the man in fron of her lost his composure and how one parchment did that. Minerva knew how much Severus Snape loved the beautiful Lily Evans.  He would die for her. He would jump from the Astronomy Tower if it meant that it would save her, and...

He would be willing to cry in front of two aging wizard and witch to show her how much, just how much he loved, and loves her still.

But to be told that the boy he resented, because well, he was the boy who held a face that could easily tell anyone who his father was, the boy who reminded him of a tormented past and a boy who obviously admired his Head of House, now is to be his charge?

But, Minerva could see it as clear as  crystal. The boy was silent whenever he observes, and the look whenever he looks at Snape was just like that. Respectful, awed and afraid. Snape might not see it, but the boy looked up to him.

---

Oh, sweet Merlin! What was he supposed to do now? He hated the boy on first sight, he hated him when he was sorted to his House, and Merlin help him, he loathed him whenever he turned to him for help. He has no right to look up to him, not after the troll fiasco the boy had along with the Granger girl and the Nott boy last Halloween. The Granger girl had taken the blame, and goodness, McGonagall even awarded his House points for it. The boy saw what the blasted dog (and to call it Fluffy?!) did to his leg and the boy looked at him him utmost con- goodness no! The boy looked at him as if he was weak.

And now, this parchment.

Surely this is a stupid, stupid, sorry excuse of a joke. Potter would never entrust his spawn to him. They were rivals! They were the symbol of Griffyndor and Slytherin animosity!

"Severus, as you can see-"

"I know what it is." His voice was hoarse amd croaked, "I know what it entails. But I won't do it. This can't be real!" He rarely lost his calm, and now...

"You have to, Severus, or young Mister Potter would be dead before his first year ends!" Minerva was flailing her arms about her, a stern look on her face.

Snape wamted nothing more than to scream, scream to his heart content and tell them thar he did not care one bit. After all, the boy was wearing Potter's face- and how dare he take those eyes from Lily! The brat did not deserve them!

"I know you are not that heartless, Severus. You have to remember that he is Lily's son, too. James Potter is long dead and gone. The boy is not his father! He is in your House for a reason, Snape." McGonagall was not ready to let this down. True, she did not liked the idea of James and Lily's boy in Slytherin, but she had to admit, the boy was more Slytherin than anyone she had ever known, except Severus.

"No."

"You have no say in this!" She said in gritted teeth. Before Snape could lash out, she stood and looked him in the eye, ready to take his challenge, "I know what they had done to you. I am sorry that I was never there. I am sorry that I failed your mother," Minerva almost cried, remembering Eileen, but quickly decided to drill into Snape's head that the boy should reside with him, "I am sorry to have failed you. But I will not be sorry if you would one dah see another boy in the Dark. You let your prejudices blind you. You have once swayed against what was right, would you rather venture to the Dark again? The boy has just lost his family, and although he was nowhere as hurt as you once had been, he had lost everything. You yourself know what it was like to alone. Why would you deprive the boy the drive to live? If you would continue to be this stubborn- God knows, Snape, you are leading the boy into the Darkness you were once acquainted with." At the end of her tirade, her eyes bored into Snape. She then proceeded to the Floo shouting, 'Mcgonagall's quarters!'.

In the end, Minerva was right. He had no choice.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 3.8K 26
Demetria Lauren Evans Snape, had found out she was a wizard at the age of 10, she knew she'd been adopted her whole life, but finding out she's a Wiz...
151K 4K 20
(Y/n) (Y/l/n). A 5th year Hogwarts student. 16 years old. A Gryffindor and a muggle-born. Very kind, very nice, and very very lonely. Severus Snape...
358K 9.6K 35
🏅number 1 in #severus🏅 Y/N Snape, the daughter of the one and only Severus W. Snape. A girl who's famous for all the wrong reasons. A girl who is...
297K 3.7K 22
Clarissa was homeschooled by her adoptive parents before coming to Hogwarts for her final year. There was no hesitation putting her in Slytherin and...