1 | TREPIDATION. [SPENCER REI...

By idkmags

[COMPLETED] ❝ we need someone to replace blake and i think we should give her a chance. ❞ ❝ spence, she's a c... More

INTRODUCTION.
PROLOGUE.
ONE.
TWO.
THREE.
FOUR.
FIVE.
SIX.
SEVEN.
EIGHT.
NINE.
TEN.
TWELVE.
THIRTEEN.
FOURTEEN.
FIFTEEN.
SIXTEEN.
TRAILER !!
SEVENTEEN.
EIGHTEEN.
NINETEEN.
TWENTY.
TWENTY ONE.
TWENTY TWO.
TWENTY THREE.
TWENTY FOUR.
TWENTY FIVE.
TWENTY SIX.
TWENTY SEVEN.
TWENTY EIGHT.
TWENTY NINE.
THIRTY.
THIRTY ONE.
THIRTY TWO.
EPILOGUE.
NOTE.
GREEN LIGHT TRAILER.
SEQUEL.

ELEVEN.

95.5K 2.6K 3.4K
By idkmags

ELEVEN ; IN SEVEN YEARS.

It was when Quinn met the setting sun that it finally hit her. She was free. She was free from the Horsemen. She had a life to begin.

The BAU had told a small lie to the public, telling the people that Quinn had been abducted by the Horsemen years ago (fact) and that they had kept her hostage for the time being, never letting her out of their reach (minor falsity). This explained why the girl was being released without charges, why she would suddenly be free.

There were no words to express the amount of gratitude that she felt to the BAU Unit. They had given her so many things and she would never be able to repay them. She almost felt as though she didn't deserve the treatment she was getting.

Perhaps that's why her mood had boosted so dramatically in the past hour. The team was released from work to go home to their families, each of them excited to finally have the time off. Quinn was being led to her new home (about three blocks away from Quantico) by Blake and Reid.

The three made small talk as they walked, the subjects reaching everything from possible new team members to new lessons for Blake to teach in her classes for the next semester. Quinn listened in with a smile, adding in comments when called for. It was strange to be able to have a conversation that wasn't about the next kill or the next training session. It would take a bit, but she was ecstatic to get used to it.

Blake grinned when they approached the building that Quinn would soon call home. It was a tall, brick apartment complex with a lit up clock lamppost on the sidewalk next to it. "Here we are," she announced, looking up. "It's a great little place to live, I should know. I lived here for a couple of years a while back, before the FBI bought it and turned it into this."

"You lived here?" Spencer asked, opening the door for both women. "I never knew that."

The three walked through the small lobby and over to the elevator. Blake nodded towards Reid. "I lived on the second floor," she replied. "It was a fun three years." When the elevator arrived, they entered and stood quietly, watching as the number on the screen in front of them slowly rise up.

The doors opened and they proceeded to walk out into the hall, Quinn grinning as she got closer to her apartment. Her apartment. That was going to take some getting used to.

And then it was in front of them. The black door with a gold number two and a letter B staring them down. This would be the first time Quinn had a place of her own in seven years. The government would be protecting her. She would be safe.

Just the thought of that brought a smile to her face.

Blake took the keys out of her pocket and placed them into the lock, opening the door. Spencer went in first, turning the lights on to reveal a small living area. It had a sofa and two chairs with a dark brown coffee table in front of the couch. There was a small television that sat on a table opposite the couch. A glass, sliding door revealed a balcony that overlooked a tiny park. There was a narrow hallway that led to a bedroom with an attached bathroom and another small hallway that had a powder room and a washer and dryer. A small kitchen sat tucked into a corner. "It's a little small, but-"

"It's perfect," Quinn interrupted Spencer. She didn't care what the place looked like. It was hers. Hers until she got back on her feet. It was perfect for her. "I can't thank you guys enough."

Blake chuckled softly, placing a light hand on her shoulder. "It's what we do. We give justice to those who deserve it." A comfortable silence came over the group for a moment, each of them simply enjoying the quiet. "I'll leave you to sleep," Blake said. "You look like you need it." Quinn smiled at her teasing, nodding in agreement. The woman slipped a piece of paper into Quinn's hand. "This is my number. Call it if you need anything, have any questions, or just want to talk. I may be a couple of states away, but that doesn't mean I can't listen," she told her. Quinn's grin grew at her words, nodding once more and accepting the piece of paper.

"Thank you," Quinn said. "For everything."

Blake squeezed her shoulder and smiled, exiting the apartment, waving at Spencer as well. The two had said their goodbyes prior to this.

The door shut and Quinn turned to face Spencer who smiled at her awkwardly. The two didn't exactly know what to say to each other, both of them exhausted and beat down from the hours they had previously lived.

It was silent until Spencer unclipped his bag that he was wearing around his shoulder. "They, uh-" He stumbled over his words, pulling out a small picture frame. "This has been in federal custody for a long time. They saw your face and they realized it once belonged to you."

Quinn furrowed her brow but took the frame from him, flipping it over. She brought her free hand to her mouth as her eyes fell on the people in the picture. Through the fresh tears she was able to see her parents and herself smiling. It was of them on their trip to San Francisco three months before she had been abducted. "How did they-"

"It was from the crime scene," Spencer replied softly. Quinn glanced up at him with ghost of a smile. "I thought you'd like to have it."

"You didn't have to," she whispered. Quinn couldn't understand why this man had shown her so much kindness in these last few days. Kindness was a foreign concept to her, but the girl got the feeling that she would be exploring it more.

"Yes, I did," the genius responded. "I thought it would help this place feel more like home."

Quinn almost laughed at his statement. "What does home even mean anymore? What is it?" Her words were so quiet, Spencer almost missed them. He was able to pick up the bitterness in her tone. Quinn saw his expression change at her words, and guilt ran through her body. "I-I'm sorry. I'm just not used to people caring about me."

Spencer felt his heart break slightly. "Don't be sorry, I understand."

There was a lull in the conversation until Quinn spoke softly. "Thank you," she said. Her eyes met his and she felt her cheeks burn as she continued. "I know that you had a lot to do with what was to happen to me. I know you helped convince everyone that I should be let free and put on the team."

"It wasn't just me-"

"But you believed me from the beginning," Quinn interjected quietly. "No one else did. And for that, I can't thank you enough."

It was Reid's turn to blush. "I, uh, you're, uh, you're welcome," he said. Quinn smiled at his stammering. "I should, I should probably get going."

"Get some sleep," she told him, making Spencer grin at her. "I'd, uh, hug you, but just by observing you, I'm able to tell you're a large germaphobe and don't love touching people you don't know well, so I'm going to, um, respect that." His brow scrunched up for a moment, his smile suddenly turning fond as he stared at her. No one had ever picked that up right off the bat, he thought.

"Thank you," he told her. "I guess I'll see you Monday?"

Quinn beamed at him, the idea of having an actual job running through her mind. "I'll see you Monday." He walked past her, sending one last smile her way.

The door closed softly and she was alone.

For the first time in seven years, she was alone. She was safe, she was free. Quinn decided that she would never feel better about anything.

The girl stared back down at the picture she had yet to place, and put it down softly on the coffee table in the living area. Sliding back the door, she stepped out on to the balcony, placing her arm on the railing and her head into her hand. A soft smile rose to her lips as she watched the world go by. Her eyes widened as she watched a firefly float past her, a creature she had not seen since she was a little girl.

This was when she knew that this would be a good thing for her. The yellow-green color of the light made her feel more at ease. Green light meant safety.

When she decided that she had had enough fresh air, Quinn walked back inside and shut the door, grabbing the picture frame tightly in her hands. She took it into the bedroom, smiling as she saw a large bed awaiting her in the middle of the back wall. A digital clock sat on the bedside table on the right side of the bed. A television hung from the wall in front of the bed and there was a mirror above a cream colored bureau.

Quinn saw a note that Aaron Hotchner had left for her, saying that the BAU had purchased some clothing for her, just enough to get her through the week. She would have to buy some more if she didn't want to repeat outfits, something Quinn didn't care too much about (if she were being honest).

The girl changed out of her current apparel and into something significantly more comfortable and pulled back the sheets on the bed- her bed. She placed the picture by the digital clock next to her and she sighed as she laid her head on a pillow.

And, for the first time in seven years, Quinn Carson fell asleep with a smile on her face.

-----

Quinn walked through the glass doors of Quantico early Monday morning. She tried to ignore the uneasy stares sent her way as her flats met the lobby's tile, but they were hard not to take personally.

For being the brightest, most complex creatures on Earth, humans often resorted to their most simple instinct. Quinn had been associated with the Horsemen. They all believed she was a murderer herself, one who got lucky because she was talented. It's common for humans not to dig deeper into the story.

But Quinn didn't blame them. She had observed at a young age that judging others was human nature. That your first impression of said person was what you had been taught. The second impression that ran through your mind defined who you were.

The doors of the elevator had almost closed when a loud voice yelled, "Wait!" Quinn looked up to see Penelope Garcia running to the box, smile brightening as she saw the girl. "Quinn!" she chorused, stepping into the elevator. "How are you? How was your weekend? I hope it was good," she said. Quinn smiled at her rambling. As unfamiliar as the two were, Quinn was able to tell the Penelope was kind to everyone she met, no matter who they were. It was strange to find comfort in a female's voice after being trapped with only men for years.

"My weekend was, uh, different," Quinn replied, chuckling to herself as she recalled the past three days of her simply enjoying her freedom. "It was really great, actually."

Garcia clapped twice as the elevator continued to rise. "Thank god, that's so awesome," she laughed. "Oh, also! We got you a phone to talk to us with. I figured you'd need one of those."

"Thank you," Quinn replied, shaking her head with a smile.

"Listen, I, uh-" Garcia swallowed, glancing around awkwardly as the two stepped out of the elevator. "I know this job can be a little nerve racking, especially where you're coming from, but I just want you to know, we don't do this for just anyone. The big guys upstairs don't make exceptions just because they're nice. If you ever begin to doubt yourself, just remember that you're here for a reason." Penelope took a large breath, smiling at the brunette wide. "I'm just noticing that I talk a lot."

Quinn was taken back at her previous statement, but chuckled at her last one nonetheless. "Can you teach me that?"

Penelope furrowed her brow and stopped in the middle of the hall. "What?"

"How to be unbelievably kind to people you've only just met," she replied, smiling at her.

Penelope blinked twice with widening eyes, obviously not expecting that answer. A wide grin spread across her face. "I like you," she told her. "I'm going to keep you." Quinn laughed, suddenly being dragged by Garcia to a room Derek Morgan was in filling a mug with coffee. He smiled as he saw Garcia, who pushed Quinn in front of her. "I've decided I'm going to adopt our new team member."

Morgan let out a soft laugh. "Oh no, Q, you have no idea what you're getting yourself into with this woman."

While Quinn beamed at the nickname, Penelope gasped at his words. "Not only am I offended, but I feel betrayed." Morgan shook his head, handing a cup of coffee to Quinn, for Penelope already had a mug in her hand. The girl added cream and sugar then walked to catch up with her new team members. "I hardly got any sleep last night," Garcia said after she had taken a sip from her mug.

"How'd you do last night?" Morgan asked.

"Three hours again," she replied with a frown. Derek sighed.

"Baby girl, you can't function on three hours of sleep," he scolded. "Trust me I've tried."

"I know, but it's better than the nightmares," Garcia said. Quinn furrowed her brow, attempting to figure out what could have triggered Garcia's nightmares.

Derek shrugged. "There's gotta be something you can do."

"I've tried everything, trust me."

"Have you tried not drinking coffee?"

"This is tea, and it's herbal. No caffeine. What else you got? It better be a good answer," she said. Morgan raised his hand as he was thinking, but deflated as he realized he had nothing. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

Quinn cleared her throat. "Don't sleep on your back," she tried, making both heads turn to her. "Sleeping on your back encourages sleep paralysis. Oh! Also, sweet smelling candles, or if you're not comfortable with fire when you're asleep, try those plug in scent things, those are really cool, by the way. I missed those advancing while I was with the Horsemen." Morgan and Garcia both stared at Quinn in shock, making the girl recoil slightly. "What?"

"I think that's the most you've talked since I've met you," Morgan teased. Quinn's cheeks went scarlet.

"And it's official now, I'm keeping you," Garcia announced, grin widening.

The three continued towards the glass doors of the BAU, following behind JJ and Rossi. "I know," Rossi said. "I was surprised too."

"What? What surprised you?" Penelope asked.

"Hotch talked to Emily," JJ replied. Quinn scrunched her eyebrows together, Derek chuckling at her confusion.

"Old team member," Morgan whispered to her, making Quinn nod her head.

"And?" Penelope pressed.

Rossi shrugged. "She just doesn't want to come back."

"Why?" Garcia questioned. "She loves us."

Spencer suddenly entered the conversation, folding his hands together. "For what it's worth, Hotch is actually interviewing someone we've met before." His eyes met Quinn's, a bright smile taking over his face as he saw her.

Quinn returned the smile, glancing at JJ who asked, "He is?"

"How many candidates is that now?" Morgan inquired.

"This makes lucky number ten," Rossi answered.

Garcia gasped. "What? See, this is what happens when I don't sleep, I miss things. Who is this person? Are they nice?" she asked. "Why is that the first question I always ask?" JJ laughed at her friend.

Quinn observed the conversation of the team. She jumped slightly as Spencer approached her from behind. Quinn's face flushed as she saw his surprised expression. "I-I'm sorry," she stammered. "I've been, uh, a bit jumpy lately."

"That's expected," he responded quietly. A small smile was stuck on his face as he spoke. "How did you sleep over the weekend?"

"You mean did I have any nightmares?" she asked. Spencer's cheek's tinted a light pink. "No, not yet. I think I was too tired to dream. Is that a thing?"

"Technically we dream every single night, but it's a matter of whether or not we're able to remember them," he explained. Quinn's eyes widened, not exactly expecting an answer. "When you're sleeping lightly, you're not deeply unconscious, meaning that you're able to remember it easier."

Quinn smiled at him, nodding. "That's actually really interesting, I never knew that." This was a lie. She had heard this in a Psychology class had taken in her senior year of high school, but seeing Spencer grin at the idea of teaching her something, made the lie worth it.

Garcia's voice broke up Quinn and Spencer's conversation. "My two smart friends, hi, our UnSub is at it again, we've got to meet at the round table." The two glanced at each other, exchanging a small smile before Quinn began to follow Spencer to the large red room in the BAU.

As the entire team began to sit down, Hotch walked in with a woman behind him. "Everyone, this is SSA Kate Callahan from Andy Swan's unit, she'll be joining the team."

"Congratulations," Spencer said. Kate gave him a smile, vocalizing her thanks. The new agent met Quinn's gaze, her head cocking to the side slightly as she saw her, realizing who she was. Quinn gave a small, awkward smile, to which Kate returned after a beat.

"How are Andy and Seaver doing?" Morgan asked, Kate's head whipping to see him.

"Oh, they're great, they say hello," Kate replied, sitting down.

"Welcome, welcome," Garcia said.

Hotch interrupted, "We can get started."

"Yes we can," Penelope replied, grabbing a remote and proceeding to point it at the screen. "Uh, the Mad Butcher of Bakersfield has left another torso in the desert. This brings the body count to three this month and still none of them have been identified."

"At this pace, he's going for a record," Rossi mused.

"Yeah, quite the imagery," Callahan added. "What's he trying to say? A torso by itself has no life."

Rossi nodded. "Right, can't survive. It might be how he sees himself."

"It could also be a simple forensic countermeasure," JJ said. "He dumps the torso after getting rid of all the pieces that can identify his victims."

"That would make sense for someone who was criminally sophisticated, but this guy's leaving his DNA all over the torsos," Morgan responded.

"We've kept tabs in CORIS, he's not in any of the systems," Rossi countered, sighing. "But it's still a risk for him and a taunt to us." He glanced between Reid and Quinn. "Hey, Einstein and Sherlock, you two are awfully quiet." Quinn's eyes flicked up to meet Rossi's, flushing red.

Spencer cleared his throat, guiding his chin up to face the table. "I'm just reading here that the M.E thinks that the victims were alive for forty-eight hours while he disarticulates."

"Which means that the person who did this has a sexual gratification for cutting people," Quinn spoke, eyes meeting the doctor's.

Spencer's lips twitched upwards at her voice. "Exactly, he wouldn't go to these extremes if he were merely discarding the limbs. He obviously enjoys the ritual. It's some kind of torture."

"So if it isn't about easy limb disposal, they could be his trophies," Morgan tried.

Quinn's eyes widened, sitting up straight. Hotch glanced at her. "Carson, what is it?"

"He could be selling the limbs," she stated, eyes meeting her boss's. The entire room looked at her in shock. She noticed the stares and waved her hands out in front of her. "No, no, hear me out. When I was uh, with the Horsemen, we had to go against this DarkWeb type of market, where people who got off on different parts of the body, like foot fetishes, would be able to purchase them from a seller."

"Do you remember any names?" Hotch asked.

Quinn frowned, shaking her head. "The sellers were always anonymous."

"Well, for someone to save a limb, they'd need preserving agents and isolation." Hotch turned to Penelope. "Garcia, come up with a list of suppliers in Southern California, we'll cross that with a geographical profile when we have it."

Spencer nodded. "Keyword sodium dioxide and silicate."

"You are the best, thank you," Garcia praised with a smile.

"Tell them we're on our way," Hotch ordered. The team packed up their files and belongings, ready to take on the criminal that was ahead of them.

-----

I HAVENT UPDATED THIS IN A WHILE I APOLOGIZE I'VE BEEN A BIT BUSY

anyway i'm very tired (it's a common trend) but i want to thank you all for almost 3k reads and for all of your votes, comments and additions to your reading lists. you don't understand how much i appreciate it and how much i appreciate you.

ok i love you tons good night.
-mags

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

159K 2.7K 26
Spencer Reid has worked for the Behavioral Analyst Unit since he was 22. After several years of getting tortured by his job and his own mind. He ne...
108K 1.2K 16
While Spencer is Kentucky on a case his wife Bree is in a car accident. The main issue to arise from this is that his co-workers aren't even aware h...
235K 4.3K 18
You have just finished graduate school successfully double majoring in Criminal Justice and Forensic Psychology. Along the way you had picked up an i...
325K 5K 28
You joined the BAU team a few months ago as a temporary replacement while one of its members, Spencer Reid, was falsely incarcerated. Little did you...