The Intern (wattys2014)

By Unevenfeets

Ann Blake is an intern at Hollywood's premiere event planning firm. But her life isn't as glamorous as it sou... More

Prologue
A note on spinoffs
Chapter 1: Who's the boss?
Chapter 2: New Client
Chapter 3: Kindred Souls
Chapter 4: The Diva and the Pretty Boy
Chapter 5: Family Dinner
chapter 6: Squirrel Savior
Chapter 7: The Meltdown and the Trickster
Chapter 8: The Sister and the Swingset
Chapter 9: Second Day Skirt
Chapter 10: Fix You
Chapter 11: An Unexpected Friend
Chapter 12: Free Falling
Chapter 13: Whoa, Baby?
Chapter 14: The Infamous JJ
Chapter 15: Dating Dangers (Part Two)
Chapter 16: Rich People Problems
Chapter 17: A time to grin and hum
chapter 18: Toddlers and Turning Points
Chapter 19: A Few Choice Words
Chapter 20: The Teddy on the Sidewalk
Chapter 21: Broken
Chapter 22: For the Record
Chapter 23: The Sushi Assualt
Chapter 24: Three Amigos
Chapter 25: Runaway Bride
Chapter 26: The return of Mr. Bass
Epilogue: The Key to happiness
Thank you for Reading
Final Author's Note
BONUS CHAPTER: The Friendzone [ SUZY'S POV ]
BONUS CHAPTER (1.5): The Girl with the Bouquet [Andrew's POV]
BONUS CHAPTER: "Going North" Sneak Peek: A Lacy Calvin Mystery

Chapter 15: Dating Dangers (Part One)

3.4K 106 1
By Unevenfeets

"Ok, here is the milk to go with those cookies!"

"Gia, I am fine," I said. "Really, I don't need more cookies."

"Thank you Gia," Andrew said.

"I still can't believe it," Gia said. "I think I hate romantic comedies now."

"Don't hate them," I said. "Just see someone else's movies. Jerry is a jerk, plain and simple."

"Yeah, he's going to be a dead jerk. Where the hell was your friend when Jerry was manhandling you?"

"I was in the ladies room," I said. "It was might fault. I should have locked the door."

Gia set the milk down and turned, wanting to give us our privacy. I was still snuggled up in Andrew's arms, my head resting on his chest. I could listen to his heartbeat all day.

"Ann, it isn't your fault. I just can't imagine what would have happened in Jerry had gotten his way..."

"He wouldn't have raped me," I whispered. "I think he was just going to mess with me, grab me. It's wrong, but I honestly don't believe he'd go too far."

"Oh Ann, I hope no one ever steals the faith you have in others."

"Thank you for being here for me," I said. "I know we haven't been together long, and it was a bit dramatic to show up on your doorstep like I did."

"Ann, I can't even say how much it meant to me that you came here. I want to protect you, be the guy you come to. I wish I'd been there today..."

"Well, I just followed my gut. Andrew, I feel so much better."

"I'm glad. I'll tell you what, why don't we have a date night. We can do anything you want, whatever will make you smile again."

"I have an idea," I said. "But it's a little bit, out there."

"I'm listening. What's on your mind?"

"You know what, it might be better to surprise you. Tell Gia we're heading out, and I'll give you the address."

"Sure thing, beautiful," Andrew said as kissed my cheek.

My surprise date idea was about forty minutes away from Andrew's house, and I enjoyed the drive immensely. I could see myself going on long trips with Andrew, talking and listening to music. He was easy to be with, and he certainly helped me forgot all my troubles. I still hadn't figured out how I'd tell Lacy everything, but I wasn't worrying about it just then. I wanted to be in the moment in Andrew, taking my time to enjoy his company. Even though I felt like I knew the core of who he was, I still learned new things about him every time we talked. For instance, I learned that Andrew actually played lacrosse in high school, and that he still kept in touch with his old lacrosse buddies. I told him to turn, and Andrew's face was indescribable when we arrived.

"You absolutely serious right now?" Andrew asked. We had pulled into the parking lot, and he gave me a sideways glance. I wasn't counting dates at this point, we felt past that. But I'd never taken a guy to the shooting range before, so I was nervous.

"If this freaks you out, if you're not ready, we can do something else."

"I mean, I am surprised. But we're not shooting little furry creatures, just targets, right?"

"We go in and you shoot the targets, no animals harmed. I totaled a mailbox trying to save a squirrel, so I am not going to shoot at living things for sport."

"That's true," Andrew said. "So why the interest in firearms, then? I mean, I'm kind of into it, but I feel like there's some backstory I'm missing."

"My Dad wanted me to know how to defend myself, basically. And teaching me to shoot, it was our thing to do together."

"So, has your Dad ever actually shot anyone? Like, a goofy but loveable boyfriend?"

"Not off duty," I said. "Come on, we're wasting daylight." I hopped out of the car and Andrew followed after me. We had to rent guns to practice with, and Andrew and I got our protective gear set up. He looked adorable with his headphones and protective glasses on. I giggled and he shook his head at me.

"You know you're wearing the same stuff," he said. I nodded.

"But you just look so cute in the glasses Andrew," I said. "Very kissable."

"I like that," Andrew said, pecking me on the lips. The guy checking out safety equipment cleared his throat.

"Hey, would you take a picture of us together?" I asked him. "It's Andrew's first time here?"

"Your lady is teaching you how to be a man, eh?"

"You know, we don't need a picture that bad," Andrew said, pouting a bit.

"Calm down," the guy said. "Smile and look like you like each other, and I'll take a snapshot with that u-phone dealio."

"It's an IPhone," I said, handing it to him. "Just click right there, ok?"

Andrew hugged me around my shoulders from behind, and we both smiled for the picture. The guy glanced at the phone before handing it back.

"You make a lovely couple," He said. "I just hope you can teach that guy a few things."

"Thanks," I said, grabbing the phone. I looked down at the picture, noting how happy we both looked. It was one of those moments you know you'd remember twenty years from now, because it had meaning to us. Today wasn't just a day when Andrew and I went on another date; today was about Andrew helping me get over something really difficult that had happened. It was a step that I hadn't expected us to take so soon, me leaning on him.

I showed Andrew how to shoot, explaining the parts of the gun and how to aim. I decided to model for him, and I fired off three rounds. They all hit dead center on the target.

"Well, sure, anyone can hit the middle," Andrew joked. "I mean, it is right there."

"Really? It took me a year to hit the target. You care to make a wager?"

"Sure. Ok, if I can hit the target, you have to make me dinner."

"Hmmmm, ok," I said. "But I'll make it easier. If you can hit the paper at all, I'll make you dinner. And if you can't you have to give me a shoulder massage, and no funny ideas."

"What kind of ideas could I get from rubbing my Girlfriend?" He winked at me, and I somewhat regretted my bet. But I did love a good backrub, even if it put some ideas in my boyfriend's head.

"Just hit the target," I said. He got into a shooting position and inhaled slowly, focusing intently on the goal at hand. I tried not to giggle, even though he was so intense and it made me smile. Andrew went to fire off, and after two shots, both missed the target completely.

"Ahhh," Andrew said, rubbing his shoulder.

"I forgot to tell you," I said. 'There's a kickback when you fire..."

"Yeah there is," He said. 'It's ok, I am going to try again."

"You're sure," I said. "I'm not that great of a cook, you know?"

He squinted and this time when Andrew shot, he braced for the kickback. Surprisingly, he actually hit the bottom of the target paper. I let out a holler of surprise and excitement, and he grinned at me triumphantly.

"I guess you're cooking me some dinner," Andrew said. I nodded and grin, taking back the gun.

"Fine," I said, "But let me show you how it's done first, ok."

"Sounds good," Andrew said. "It's good to see you smile again Ann."

I nodded, noting that smiling seemed to happen a lot around Andrew Sinclair. Even if he could barely shoot a target, he was a good guy.

***

"I thought you said you couldn't cook," Andrew said, taking in a smell from the oven.

"I said I'm not that great," I said. 'This is my grandma's famous five cheese Lasagna. The secret ingredient is a sixth kind of cheese. Now, I just need to put this in the oven."

"The sauce smells amazing, will it take long?"

"Probably forty minutes or so," I said. We sat down on my futon and Andrew put his arm around me.

"I like your place," he said idly. "It suits you."

"Well, it's no palace like your house, but I don't need much. I just like having something that's mine, you know."

"Well, it's nice," he said. I snuggled into his chest and smiled as I noted how much I liked using his chest as a pillow.

"I think this is the first time we've been alone since our date," I said. "No little sisters or best friends to walk in." Andrew blushed a little bit, and I wondered what thought went through his head.

"So I'll have to behave using self-control," Andrew said. "The good old fashioned gentleman way."

"Oh, I didn't mean anything scandalous would happen...I just think it's nice when it's just you and me"

"So do I," Andrew said. The idea was swirling in my head now that we were alone, and anything could happen if I wanted it to. Sure, I didn't want something serious to go down so soon, but what was the harm in kissing? I straightened up and leaned forward, brushing my nose with Andrews.

"I wouldn't mind if you wanted to...maybe make out for a little bit?" I felt out just saying it, but Andrew was respectful guy. Sometimes you had to spell it out for him.

"Nice subtle hint," Andrew laughed. "I don't' think I'd mind that either."

He leaned forward and kissed me, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. The side by side angle made things a bit strained, so breaking my shy Ann demeanor, I swung my legs around and straddle his lap. He didn't pull away or seem shocked by my forwardness, but instead let his arms hug my waist, deepening our kiss. His lips were perfect, and I felt like I could get lost in his touches. Seconds turned to minutes, and I found myself pulling away for brief moments to catch my breath. When I'd do this, He kissed gently on my neck, and I'd just hum in response. Where did he learn to kiss like this? I decided I didn't really want to know, but I'd be secretly jealous and grateful to whatever girl showed him how to do this. I'd kissed Robert, but it was never so intense. I didn't find myself losing track of time or getting flushed with something I couldn't quite described.

Somewhere along the way, Andrew set me back down on the couch and let his chest push on top of mine.

"Is this alright," he whispered. My legs wrapped around his hips, and I nodded furiously. I'm sure some people would see the position and think it was distinctly sexual. Sure, it wasn't exactly the kind of thing you did in church, but I think we both knew where the boundaries were. It was too soon to go too far, and our clothes were staying on. But I didn't mind the closeness, because I trusted Andrew. Our lips met again, and my thoughts got blurry. I could feel the weight on his chest pushing into me, and I liked it more than I should have. I let my finger trail down his back and up his arms, noting how muscular he was. God, I was going to get in trouble if I kept thinking like that. Andrew's hands stayed in my hair, playing with my locks as his lips stayed on mine.

"Are you sure this ok," Andrew asked, pulling back for a second.

"Yeah, we probably should take a break soon," I said. "But I don't want to. Maybe just another minute or two?" I kissed his neck as he nodded, and worked my way up to gently kissing his ear. I don't know why I had to the inkling to do so, but Andrew seemed to approve as he pulled me back into a kiss. I think we could have stayed there all night, but soon after, the sound of a lock turning caught my attention. I pushed back on his chest, and Andrew's face hovered above mine in confusion.

"I'm sorry, this is too much..."

"No," I said, "It's the door. Someone is here..." He moved back slightly, furrowing his brow.

"Don't you live alone?"

I almost said that I did, but someone else had a spare key. I almost told him to get off of me before someone caught us in a position that looked like we were doing much more than we actually were. What I knew was just kissing looked a lot like we were about to get naked.

I meant to Andrew to jump back, because my dad had a key and was probably coming through the door. But the words just met my mouth as my Dad swung the door open and gaped at the vision in front of him.

"Hey Dad," I said, shoving Andrew back with some tenacity. I'd apologize later. Right now I was busy doing damage control with my overprotective dad and my utterly terrified boyfriend.

(((Hey readers.

Sorry this was short. But I had to end it there, because I'm secretly evil. Mwahahaha

But seriously, I am sure some of you are like "why is 'Anndrew' happening so quickly? I hate insta-love!" Maybe not, because I don't mind, but some people do. I think Ann's dad is going to address these concerns, and Anndrew might have a bumpy road up ahead, we will see. Thanks for continuing to read, and let me know what you think. Who do you love/hate the most?

I know who I love: all of you readers. Even the quiet ones, I heart you, so feel free to comment!))))

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9M 125K 39
Workaholic wedding planner Sophia gets the surprise of her life when her new clients' best man turns out to be her ex-boyfriend. ...
39.4K 1.7K 27
Morgan Cahill loved her job... that is, until her coworker-slash-cheating ex-boyfriend Justin was promoted to be her boss. All of a sudden Morgan's...
742K 16K 33
*This is the spin-off to Runaway Bride. I recommend reading it before starting to read this one.* Locked in a small room with her mother since birth...
644K 16K 44
Madison Rosales is not your typical 22- year-old. While everyone her age is out graduating college? She's only getting started. While everyone is out...