Fools like Us

By tearbender

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." In which Ariel Agresti returns from boarding school... More

Prelude
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6 (Part 1)
Chapter 6 (Part 2)
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10 (Part 1)
Chapter 10 (Part 2)
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13 (Part 1)
Chapter 13 (Part 2)
Chapter 14 (Part 1)

Chapter 8

15.3K 692 271
By tearbender

Note: This chapter is NOT edited, boring and probably doesn't really make sense at all... so I'm sorry in advance :( I'm just in one of my moods, 'cause I'm so stressed out with HW

This chapter is dedicated to treachery for the lovely banner on the sidebar  :D ->

I was never one for high school parties. 

In fact, I hated them.

Why? I honestly didn’t know. 

Maybe it was because of the booming music that threatened to burst my eardrums, or maybe it was because of the 'staircase-hogging' couples that were fine with getting to second base, not bothering to hide from the prying eyes of hormonal (and gossipy) teens, or maybe it was because a party was where I first got my heart broken by none other than Leonardo Wesley Tanner.

I grimaced at the thought as I attempted to climb up the stairs, making sure to clamber over a couple’s entwined legs. Clutching the handrail, I heaved an euphoric sigh of relief as I arrived on the second floor. 

God, that was intense.

I ran my fingers through my matted knots of hair, flinching as I felt sweat come in contact with my skin. Whipping my head from left to right, I attempted to find a familiar face. My eyes brightened as my gaze fell onto Adam, West’s best friend and the owner of this house.

“Adam!” I tried to screeched over the music, but my attempt was futile.

He was too busy conversing with a leggy brunette. Rolling my eyes, I snaked my way through the crowds of people. Stopping only to give a guy with a buzzcut the finger as I felt a stinging sensation on my a$$. 

“Adam,” I tapped him on the back, my gaze steady.

“Oh hey- woah, Agresti! Watcha doing here?” Adam’s eyes widened, panic registering in his features as he took in sight of me, “I mean, I thought you weren’t a party animal kind of person.”

“Desperate times call for desperate measures,” I pursed my lips, raising my eyebrows at the brunette, challenging her as she looked at me with distaste, “where’s West?” I cut to the chase.

“Oh, West. Uh…” Adam trailed off, his eyes darting from right to left, as if finding an exit, “I don’t know,” his adam’s apple bobbed up and down as he gulped. 

“See? He doesn’t know, now leave us alone redhead,” the brunette crinkled her nose, shooting daggers at me.

“Adam, the last thing I want to do is threaten you, but…” I paused for dramatic effect before launching towards him so we were face to face. I ignored the squeal of surprise the brunette let out, “if you don’t tell me the truth, I will kick you in the balls so hard that the pain will eventually evolve into a monthly, and inevitable man-period,” I sneered, my tone menacing. 

“Sorry, bros before hoes,” he squeaked and for a moment, I actually admired his loyalty. Too bad his eyes gave him away. 

I let him go as I saw his gaze flicker upwards.

“Well, um…” I backed away slowly, gesturing for the brunette to go on with her seducing, “see ya!”

With that, I shoved my way through the crowds of people before bolting up the stairs. I rolled my eyes at the angry grunts and deathly glares I received. Contrary to when I was on the first and second floor, the thumping of my footsteps were actually audible on the third floor.

I guess all the ‘Spin the Bottle’ and ‘Seven Minutes in Heaven’ action happens downstairs…

The place was practically deserted, save for the awkward couple conversing in the corner. Judging by their expressions, they were having a serious talk.

I don’t want to disturb them, but oh well...

I stalked towards the bedroom on the right and flung the door open, the resounding bang of the door echoing around the floor. My eyes widened as I caught sight of a couple doing it on the bed.

“Sorry!” I called out, my face beet red as I slammed the door shut.

Oh god, I’m scarred for life… 

I made a face as I rushed over to the other side of the floor, kicking the other bedroom door open.

“West!” I hissed loudly, storming into the vintage-looking bedroom which probably belonged to Adam's parents.

Both West and Kayla froze like deers that were caught in the headlights. I let out a quiet sigh of relief, my posture relaxing slightly as I realized that the pair of them weren’t doing anything inappropriate - at least not at the moment. Though it was pretty suspicious, seeing that they were both sitting on the king-sized bed. 

“Red, so you decided to come crash the party,” West finally said as he composed himself.

“Trust me, I didn’t want to,” I pressed my lips together so they were in a thin line, resisting the urge to punch West.

“Fancy seeing you here Ariel,” Kayla nodded coolly at me in her usual demeanor.

Ignoring her, I growled at West, “you better not have been cheating on Belle!”

“I wasn’t, red, alright?” West threw his hands up into the air, “for the millionth time, you’re being paranoid! Kay-kay’s just a friend. Right?” He turned to Kayla, who gave him a curt nod, though the right corner of her lips quirked upwards into a smirk.

“Then why hideout in a bedroom?” I crossed my arms, shooting him a skeptical look.

“‘Cause we had private matters to discuss,” it was Kayla who answered my question. 

“Private matters? Like what?” I arched an eyebrow at them.

God, I feel like some sort of interrogator…

“Wessie here, was just telling me that he liked me,” I frowned deeply as West’s eyes widened in horror, “and that he would date me if he wasn’t dating Belle,” Kayla finished off smugly. 

Oh, he did not just say that, I balled my hands into fists. 

“No no no, but I am dating Belle so the whole dating Kayla and cheating thing is not going to happen,” West quickly added, sounding genuinely worried for once.

“But you said that you liked her,” I spoke through my clenched teeth, my voice dangerously low.

“Yeah, but I like Belle even more. In fact, I love her,” West looked me in the eye, scanning my features as if looking for some sort of positive response. 

“Well you clearly don’t love her enough,” I shot him a deathly glare, “how could you West? How could you?” My voice grew progressively angrier at each word. 

“I didn’t cheat on Belle. I wouldn’t do that,” he defended, his voice softening at the last few words.

“But you will,” I retorted icily, “and when you do, you’ll just shatter my cousin’s heart and I do not want that to happen,” I took a threatening step forward, “so listen to me carefully Leonardo,” I resisted the urge to smile triumphantly as he flinched back at the use of his first name, “you either change your player ways or get the f*ck out of Belle’s life,” I glowered at him, "this is my final warning."

“I won’t change who I am for a girl, but I wouldn’t leave Belle for the world,” West met my gaze challengingly.

I let out a humorous chuckle, “that’s what you told me back in freshman year, and look where I am now?” I gestured to myself, “and even if you refuse to leave Belle, I will force her to dump you. So your relationship is a lost cause, one way or another.” 

“Stop being such a dramatic b!tch Agresti,” he spat my last name out as if it were venom, “and just stay out of my f*cking love life!”

“Oh I wish I could, but you seem to be forgetting the fact that you’re dating my cousin!” I roared at him, “you don’t love her West, you never did love anyone except for yourself,” I watched as West’s eyes darken at my words. 

Okay, that was a bit of a low blow… but whatever. 

“Shut the f*ck up!” West barked, his face flushing red, “you don’t know me Agresti, no one does, so stop telling me what to f*cking do!” 

“Fine then!” I threw my hands up in the air, exasperated, “I won’t tell what to do. I’ll just go tell Belle about your little meeting here with Kayla. She’s already insecure about your relationship, and she needs is a little nudge in the right direc-” 

I was cut off by West, “you wouldn’t,” he snarled at me.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kayla slip silently into the bedroom’s connected bathroom, before shutting the door quietly.

Smart girl, escaping the drama.

“Try me,” I raised both my brows at him before turning to leave the room.  

I felt a warm hand clasp around my wrist, “no, wait red, don’t,” I was taken aback by the genuine hurt in West’s voice for a moment. For just a moment.

Writhing out of his grip, I shook my head slowly, “you put yourself in this position West, if there’s anyone to blame, it’s you. Right now, you’re just delaying the inevitable.”

“Please.” 

“Goodbye West,” I opened the bedroom door.

“Fine, be that way!” West’s voice was soft but harsh, “I’m so glad that I broke up with you in freshman year Agresti. No one deserves to be with a psychotic, no-life b!tch like you.”

My eyes flared along with my temper. 

No one calls me a psychotic, no-life b!tch. No one. 

Taking in a deep breath, I managed to force myself to walk through the bedroom door (more like storm through), slamming it shut. Bolting down to the ground floor, I could feel tears of frustration welling up in my eyes.

My previous anger had dissipated and been replaced with an empty feeling.

“Hey babe, wanna have a go at it?” I could feel a hand on my a$$.

Gritting my teeth together, I whirled on the guy and punched him square in the face. Gasps and “oohs” echoed around the area, but I was in no mood for any of this drama or fighting. Ignoring the stinging pain from my knuckles, I raced out of the living room and into the front yard. I was about to leave Adam’s private property when I collided into something hard.

“Ow,” I rubbed my forehead. 

“Ariel? Is that you?”

 Sh!t, I mentally swore as I realized who I had crashed into. 

Trey.

“Uh, yeah, I was just about to leave,” I mumbled, attempting to sidestep him but he mimicked my movement, blocking me.

“Are you alright?” Trey asked, concern laced in his tone.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” once again, my attempt to shove past him was futile.

“What’s wrong Ari?” A heavy sigh escaped his lips as I didn’t offer him an answer, “come on,” he nudged me lightly.

“I’m just trying to be a good person by saving you from my rant,” I looked down at my fingers, “trust me, it’s pretty stupid.” 

“Hit me,” Trey placed his hands on my shoulders, “then I’ll decide just how stupid it is.”

I reluctantly raised my head to meet Trey’s scorching gaze, my shoulders slumping, “it’s just, we were arguing about Belle, ‘cause I caught him and Kayla alone in a bedroom. I sort of threatened to get Belle to dump him and he just blew up on me and called me a psychotic, no life b!tch,” my voice grew icy as I spat the last few words out.

I watched as Trey’s gaze hardened, his eyes narrowing, “that’s not a stupid thing to be mad over Ari. Not at all.”

I gave him a shrug in response.

"But you know how West is like," Trey gave me a sad smile, "he has a short fuse and constantly says things he doesn't mean. I'm not trying to defend him or anything, I'm just stating the facts," Trey added quickly as he caught sight of my expression.

"I know, and I usually just brush his insults aside, but I don't know what came over me today," I managed to will the tears to not fall.

"Maybe you just woke up on the wrong side of bed," Trey offered lightly.

"Perhaps," I gave him a weak grin, "or maybe it's just 'cause I'm on my period."

"Okay, I did not need to know that."

I let out a chuckle at Trey's horrified expression.

"I mean, I did call him a selfish b*stard who doesn't love anyone but himself, so I guess we're sort of even," I reasoned, not feeling all that mad anymore.

Sure, I was still angry for him for treating Belle like this, but the worst of it was over. 

Trey scrutinized the grass for a second before plopping down onto the ground. He patted the area beside him, gesturing for me to take a seat next to him.

“Sit,” he offered in a kind tone.

“No, I really don’t-”

“Sit,” he repeated.

My eyes went wide as I felt something warm on my hand. Glancing downwards, I realized that Trey had taken my hand and wrapped his fingers around my right palm.

“Uh… okay,” I replied awkwardly, slowly settling down beside him.

I glanced at Trey, waiting for him to say something, but he didn't.

For the next half an hour so, a comfortable silence had passed through us. The both of us had just sat there, enjoying the tingly feeling of grass beneath our palms and between our fingers whilst relishing the sound of music and laughter.

At one point, Mrs. Ferguson, a cranky, middle-aged and single ‘cat-lady’ (who was one of Adam’s neighbours) came to see what all the commotion was about. She had threatened to call the cops on us, but Adam some how convinced her that we were rehearsing for a school play. Mrs. Ferguson had worn a skeptical expression on her face until Adam said that our play was “The Great Gatsby.” The woman had then went gaga over the whole thing. “Is that a Gatsby party you’re currently having as a setting? Oh my, sounds really realistic,” she had giggled repeatedly. Thank god she had lost her hearing aid, if not, she would’ve heard the constant Nicki Minaj songs blaring from the speakers which were totally not the classy Hollywood party songs. I guess Adam does have his moments.

“So, what was the point of sitting down?” I raised both brows at Trey, finally breaking the silence.

“I had intended for it to be time for you to reflect and calm down, or imagine doing some terrible things to West,” Trey gave me one of his lopsided grins, “but it turned out to be front row tickets to the weirdest film ever.”

“I’ll say,” a genuine smile broke across my face.

Unfortunately, our touching little moment was disturbed by a scream of my name.

“Ariel!” I whipped my head around to see Garrett Walker, a fellow swim team member of Trey running towards us.

“Yeah?” I exchanged glances with Trey before reluctantly standing up. 

“You have to come with me,” Garrett stopped in front of the both of us, his face slick with sweat, “now,” he added, desperation laced in his tone.

“Why?” I questioned, narrowing my brows. 

“It’s West. He’s drunk off his a$$.”

“So? Why are you telling me this? I’m not his goddamn mother,” I crossed my arms, muttering angrily.

In fact, I don’t give a flying f*ck about him, I resisted the urge to add out loud.

“He’s asking for you,” Garrett hesitantly said, probably taken aback by my hostility.

“And I should go because…” 

“Please Ariel,” Garrett pleaded me with his infamous puppy dog eyes.

I looked away, not wanting to give in.

“Garrett, just tell West that Ariel doesn’t want to see him right now, okay?” Trey told the blond haired boy. 

“But-” Garrett had began to interject, but was cut off by a familiar voice.

“Red! There you are, I’ve been looking for you,” West slurred as he stumbled out of the front door, almost tumbling down the porch steps.

I resisted the urge to laugh at that. I would've, if I wasn't that mad at him.

“Okay, time to run,” I was about to bolt when Garrett put a hand on my shoulder to stop me.

“Garrett, lemme go,” I shook his hand off of my shoulder, glaring at him. 

“Red, d’ya mind bringing me home? I can’t seem to find my car,” West stalked towards the three of us, a faraway look in his eyes. 

“That’s ‘cause you didn’t drive one to the party dumba$$,” I retorted in an unfriendly tone, “and find your own way home.” 

“Why? I thought we were friends,” he dragged out the last word as he stopped beside Garrett, who took a step away from West as he stopped walking.

Wow, he's acting as if the fight we had just now never happened...

I snorted, “okay, you really are drunk.”

“So you’ll take me home?” West’s eyes seem to brighten at my words.

“No.”

 “Why?”

“‘Cause I don’t like you,” I said simply.

“But everyone does,” he protested before glancing at Garrett, “right Gavin?”

“Uh, it’s Garrett,” Garrett corrected, shifting uncomfortably.

“Haha, very funny Gavin,” he shot Garrett a lazy smile before turning back to me, “so you’ll take me home?” 

“She told you no West,” Trey spoke up from beside me.

“I didn’t ask you for your opinion Troy,” West gave Trey one of his looks, “go back to your basketball training Bolten.”

He’s just amazing with names…

“So it's a yes?” West urged, nodding his head at me. 

“I already said no West,” I stated firmly, “nothing you say is going to change my mind about that.”

“Oh really?” West attempted to raise a challenging eyebrow, but failed miserably. 

“Yes,” I sighed, exasperated, “now if all of you will excuse me, I’ll be leaving now. Bye Trey, bye Garrett,” I had turned to leave when West’s words stopped me. 

“If you bring me home, I’ll ignore Kayla for a full week.”

I froze in my tracks as his sentence registered into my brain.

Sure, the ten minute walk would be practically torture for me, but it’s worth it. You know, since I promised Belle that I’d help her. 

A week should get their relationship back on track, I unconsciously nodded to myself, then I could just stay out of West’s personal life for good. I mean, the Civics assignment will be over and the whole swim training thing is strictly professional. 

A grin spread across my face as I whirled to face the drunken teen. 

“You’ve got yourself a deal.”

Ooooh..... drunk confessions and random rants, what could go wrong in the next chapter? I wonder. And the deal about Kayla, I'm sure we all have doubts about West living up to that. Haha :P

Ariel's character was sort of confusing in this chapter, I know, but I'll sort of re-write this chapter if I ever go back to editing the story :P Speaking of, I'd be honored if I could have an editor for the story :D Just PM me and I'll decide who to pick :) I'm sort of looking for someone with exceptional grammar, spelling, phrasing...etc. and with maybe some ideas/opinions/suggestions for the story :D 

Oh and I might not updated for a while 'cause I have billions of assessments this week... like seriously, I wanna cry ;( I already have the next chapter palnned out though so yayy :) 

Thanks again for all the support guys and remember to VOTE COMMENT FAN AND SHARE :D

Love you all!

Eunia

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1 0 1
⭐서울&경기⭐O❶⓪-4⓶O일-74⓷삼❤️반포호텔출장후기❤️후불⭐#길동외국인출장안마후기,#상암러시아홈케어번호,#성남외국여성출장안마⭐서울&경기⭐O➀O-42⓪❶-74⓷⓷❤️둔촌동역베네수엘라여성출장마사지가격❤️후불⭐#은평구신사동출장샵추천,#가산모로코여성출장마사지,#강북칠례여...
8 1 2
تحدث قصتنا عن خمس فتبات حلمهم ان يصبحنا ايدول
12.3K 317 14
"Just because I'm blonde, doesn't mean I'm stupid. Just because I'm a cheerleader, doesn't make me a slut. Just because I'm nice, doesn't mean I won'...