Life After Death (#1)

By SebJenkins

*HIGHEST #31 IN HORROR* FEATURED + WINNER OF NINETEEN AWARDS + NBR SPOTLIGHTED! Max is in his late thirties... More

Life After Death
Prologue (Flash Forward)
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Epilogue
Life, Death, Panic! - For Amazon Prime
Thank you
FIND ME HERE
SEQUELS

Chapter Twenty-Five

1.8K 245 37
By SebJenkins

"Looks like it's going to be chicken again tonight," Otto grumbled to the rest of the Brotherhood.

Max was still clutching his stomach in pain; his whole body felt like it was on fire. His eyes were starting to swell shut and he could still feel where the cold metal of the knife had been pressed against his tongue.

"What the fuck is the pit?" Max demanded with blood and saliva flying from his mouth.

"Well that, my friend, is for you to see," Otto sniggered back at him.

"Tie him back up with the girl, Otto wants them guarded all night. We'll take them to the pit in the morning," Otto announced to the crowd, who stood moaning and groaning at the loss of their feast.

"NOW!" Otto screeched at the top of his voice, scaring everyone into action.

Max's legs were re-tied and he was bundled next to Lizzie at the fountain once more. Like Lizzie they stuffed a cloth in his mouth, tying it tightly behind his head to gag him. Max looked at Lizzie, doing his best to comfort her with his eyes alone, but they both knew that the situation was pretty dire. They had avoided immediate danger, but the glint in Otto's eye when he mentioned the pit horrified Max.

He could only imagine that it would result in a slower and more painful end. He had to get them out of this, somehow. Lizzie was still kicking out, pulling at the ropes which bound her and cursing through her gag.

Max admired her spirit, but it would take smarter thinking and a lot of luck to get them out of this. For now he could feel his eyes drifting shut; he was exhausted, and soon enough he drifted into a deep sleep.

Max's eyes flicked open. He blinked himself awake and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. He wasn't in the shopping mall anymore; he didn't know where he was, actually. It was pitch black, freezing cold, and even though he was blind, he somehow knew that he was alone in the room. He felt alone. His hands drifted around him, slapping the floor in an attempt to get a bearing of his surroundings.

The floor was rough, concrete he thought, ice cold to touch. He pushed himself off the floor, scrambling to his feet and stretching his arms out in search for a wall. After stumbling around for a minute or two, Max was thrown back onto the floor as a burning white light filled his eyes.

A door had been thrown open from somewhere across the other side of the room. Max blinked and rubbed his eyes until they were partially used to the light, but his retinas were still stained white. White was all he could see. Max slowly began to crawl towards the source, stopping in his tracks as a blurred black figure appeared at the door. One sole silhouette in a sea of white light. The mysterious figure walked towards Max, their footsteps echoing around the room, pounding his eardrums.

Their face was impossible to make out, but they felt somehow familiar. Max strained to make out any distinguishing features, but there was no need as the figure began to run. They sprinted at Max, only stopping until they were inches in front of him. Max threw himself backwards, crawling away in sickening fear as he looked upon a face from the past. It was one of the first faces he ever recalled seeing, but not how he remembered it.

"John?" Max whispered in disbelief.

"Hello Maxie," John hissed back at him. "Long time no see!"

It was undeniably John, but his face was pale, and his skin was flaking across his cheeks. It almost looked like a snake shedding its skin. His eyes were bloodshot and dark, so dark. The dark pools of red and black were the most frightening thing. There's nothing more human than a person's eyes, but Max could see no life or humanity in these. What was left of John's teeth were yellowed and rotten.

"But...but you died," Max sobbed, unable to think of anything else to say.

John threw his head back in a fit of giggles.

"I died?! I died?! I think you mean you left me to die brother!" he cried, thrusting his face up against Max's.

"John I'm sor-" Max began to cry, tears running from his eyes and falling onto his brother's face.

"He's not the only one you've left for dead, is he Max?" a new voice boomed from behind John.

Max angled his head around his brother, staring at a new figure standing in the doorway. They carried on shouting as they walked calmly forward.

"Not the only one you've abandoned along the way," the voice continued.

The man stood over Max, shoulder to shoulder with John.

"Joey? Is that you?" Max whimpered.

Max knew that there was nothing left of the men he knew and loved. They were different. They were dead. Joey looked the same as John, the same as the men and women from the Brotherhood. Both men he had viewed as brothers just stood in silence, staring down at him with those dead, red eyes. They turned Max's blood to ice, as they began to click their teeth, perfectly synchronised with one another.

"Looks like everyone you get close to dies in the end ay Max?" said a whisper from the darkness. "How long before you kill me too?"

Suddenly Lizzie's face had joined the crowd, standing the other side of John.

"That's just what you do; you let the ones you love die," she murmured, her words choking Max.

Then, as quickly as they had appeared, they were all gone. Blackness and nothingness was restored. Max was alone.

"Lizzie?" he spoke to the darkness.

"Lizzie!" he yelled.

"LIZZIE!" Max screamed, jolting upright as his eyes flashed open.

Sweat dripped from his forehead and his was breathing heavy. He could feel his heart beating as if it was going to tear from his chest. He heard a slight mumble to his left, and turned to see Lizzie, still tied against the fountain. It had just been a dream, but it felt so real. All this guilt he had kept stored up since he had left John in his flat when this all began. After all, that's what he had done; he left his brother to die alone. Then he left Joey to die alone. He couldn't let the same happen to Lizzie. He wouldn't.

The member of the Brotherhood guarding Max and Lizzie had skipped over from his post. He tore the gag from Max's mouth, letting it hang loose around his neck.

"Aww, did somebody have a bad dream?" the man joked, grabbing a handful of Max's cheek, as you would a baby.

"Please just leave our gags off at least, she's just a kid man. She's petrified for fuck's sake!" Max pleaded.

The man thought for a second before pulling down Lizzie's gag too.

"If you wake up the others, I'll slit your throats long before they drag you down to the pit," he warned, his wide eyes making it clear he wasn't joking.

"Thank you," Max replied, slowly and carefully. He thought it best to tread lightly with these people.

"For the record, I'm not fucking scared; I'm just waiting for my chance to beat the shit out of every last one of you!" Lizzie said, clearly not on the same wavelength as Max.

The man locked eyes with her, then looked back at Max, then Lizzie again, before cracking a smile.

"I like her," he chuckled. "She has more balls than most men I've met."

"Yeah, you can say that again," Max agreed, shooting a cold stare Lizzie's way.

Her mouth was too big for her own good sometimes, but Max had to admit he admired her courage, and she was always entertaining.

"Shame. I'm sure she would have tasted good, too. Tender. Where to start though...breast, or leg?" the man giggled at his own joke, licking his lips as he did so.

"How about you start with my foot, up your fucking arse!" Lizzie spat back at him, kicking out with her feet.

The man moved back swiftly, avoiding the attack before slithering back over to his guarding perch, laughing all the way.

"She'll do well in the pit, that one," he called back over his shoulder as he walked away.

"What the fuck is this pit?" Lizzie whispered across at Max.

"I have no idea; but the way they all talk about it, I don't think it ends well for us," Max thought aloud.

"I'm guessing you've clocked the biting and lip licking too? What is this place, Max?" Lizzie asked, pleading for Max to have answers. She put up a good front, but she was scared. They both were.

"I have no idea kid. I think they're infected somehow. They must be. The disease just hasn't...taken hold yet? I'm not sure, but I don't want to hang around waiting for them to get worse," Max answered.

"Got a plan in mind?" Lizzie questioned hopefully.

"Not yet kid, not yet. We'll have to wait it out for now, make a move when they escort us to this pit. I have the feeling if we haven't escaped by then, we're dead," Max admitted, looking at Lizzie almost apologetically.

"This isn't your fault Max; if it wasn't for you I'd have been a walking human buffet long before now," Lizzie replied with a wry smile. "We'll think of something."

"We'd better do it soon kid," Max sighed.

Max began to scan the room once again, looking for anything he could use to fashion an escape. It all seemed pointless though; with his hands and feet tied, he could barely even move. If he could just find something sharp, maybe he could cut himself free.

As Max combed the room for such an object, a second member of the Brotherhood entered through a side door. She was a short, slight woman and although she too was dressed head to toe in camouflage, she was different from the others. She walked straight towards her fellow guard, in a straight line, and with purpose.

There were no spasms, no giggles, no licking of her lips. She was normal. Lizzie looked on from afar, with Max's mind still heavily set on finding a way out. The new guard walked up to her fellow Brotherhood member, Lizzie assumed to relieve him of his guard. Approaching the man from behind, the new guard reached out to tap him on the shoulder, but instead grabbed a chunk of his hair and aggressively yanked his head back.

She moved swiftly and silently; like a shadow. It was over too soon for the man to even react. Her eyes turned as cold as steel as she pressed a serrated blade to his windpipe, slitting his throat without even a slight hesitation. The man grasped desperately for his throat, now sliced open, but all he could do was drown in his own blood.

The man, who was only taunting Lizzie minutes before, writhed on the floor, quietly dying.

"What the fuck?!" Lizzie exclaimed, desperately trying to kick Max to get his attention.

"Quiet kid, I'm trying to think," Max replied, irritated by the distraction.

Max hadn't noticed that they had a new friend in the room, whose attention had suddenly turned to himself and Lizzie.

"Wake up Max, that ninja bitch just took down the guard!" Lizzie spurted out.

Max followed Lizzie's gaze towards the woman who was now walking towards the pair. Max looked past the approaching figure, seeing the man who was once guarding them bleeding out on the floor.

"Hey! Hey, hang on! Leave the kid, if you're going to eat anyone, take me!" Max urged desperately.

The woman didn't even break her stride, marching right up to Lizzie and brandishing the knife, still dripping with its past victims blood. She pushed Lizzie forward and swiped down with the knife.

"NO!" Max roared.

The knife was guided perfectly threw the air, slicing through the ropes binding Lizzie's hand in one simple swoop. The woman then knelt and freed Lizzie's feet too.

"Keep the noise down you idiot, or you'll wake the others!" the woman whispered urgently whilst moving on to Max's ropes.

"We need to get you two out of here, pronto!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.4K 649 43
"Besides, I don't like you. You know that." Sonic said. "We're just friends, that's all. There's nothing more than that--no strings attached--no feel...
28.4K 2.4K 24
Stella and Logan have reached the coast. Now, all that's left is to move up it's length and find Max, the man Stella has been desperate to reunite w...
3.4M 35K 175
The Earth is approaching the year 2200. It has been divided by four major powers who dwell in ceaseless war. Human pilots learn to drive massive mech...
56.7K 4.5K 39
BOOK TWO I can feel them getting closer. Their screeches haunting me at night, telling me to drop dead. I've never listened to them before. But it's...