The Mask Man In The Woods

By shadow_girl16

Who knew going to the woods could change an innocent girl's life entirely with a flip of a coin? Who knew the... More

Prologue
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
Author's Note

11.

5.3K 272 89
By shadow_girl16

CHAPTER | ELEVEN

"He didn't do anything else?" Belle asked, her voice just above a whisper as another nurse walked by much slower than the others.

I shook my head and wiped my nose with the back of my hand. "No, he just grabbed me."

Belle clicked her tongue and ran her hand through her hair. I chewed on my lower lip and grabbed her hand with both of mine.

"I'm sorry, Belle. I didn't mean to dump all my worries and problems on you. I-I just don't have anyone to talk to and I feel like I'm going nuts."

Belle rubbed my hands and then cupped my cheek, wiping away my tears I hadn't known were there. "What did I said? Don't be sorry. Everything will be okay. You'll see. Why don't you just move back to the city?"

I sniffled. "I can't move back. I wasted so much money and energy rebuilding that house, and I like it there. It's peaceful and—"

"Full of evil ghosts and killer homeless people?" Belle cut in, pulling her hands back and neatly folding them together.

I gave her a deadpanned stare. "No. I just... like it there. I forgot what it felt like to live in silence and near..." I trailed off as my mind wondered back to Tristian.

I hadn't spoken or seen him since he stormed off. I wanted to hunt him down when I got back from dropping Drakon at school but quickly decided against it. He probably needed space and I didn't want to present myself as pushy or too needy.

"Near what?" Belle asked.

I pulled myself out of my thoughts and rubbed the side of my neck. "I miss being near the woods. I had so many good memories there."

Belle hummed and I frowned. "What?"

"What, what?"

"What was the hmmm about?"

Belle shrugged and grabbed a napkin. "Nothing. It's just..." Belle paused and her eyes searched my face and she sighed. I sat up and crossed my arms over the table.

"What are hiding, Belle?" I asked.

Belle sighed again and averted her eyes. "He is a nice fella. He's just a little hot headed sometimes. Give him a day or two and he'll come back."

I felt my heart start to race. "Who are you talking about?" I knew what she was talking about, but I needed to hear it.

Belle tucked her messy hair behind her ear, her fingers fiddling with the napkin. "Tristian hasn't been the same eleven years ago."

"You know him?" I whispered, feeling relief or dread, I couldn't tell, wash over me.

Belle nodded and her lips parted when another nurse passed by, but this time, she touched Belle's shoulders, earning our attention.

"I'm sorry, but it's time she takes her medicine and a nap. Can we wrap this up?" She asked, a forced smile on her dry lips.

Belle lightly shrugged her off and we stood up. I came around the long table and hugged her tightly, burying my face in her neck.

"I... I'm scared." I admitted to her, feeling myself well up again.

Belle rubbed my back. "If that man does anything again, run. Grab your kid and run."

I pulled away and nodded. "I'll come back when I can. Take care, okay?"

Belle smiled and was ushered away with the nurse.

I sighed and headed out towards the exit, still feeling the creepy vibes from this place. I thanked the security woman for showing me the way out and headed towards the gate. I kept my hands in my pockets and noticed not one soul was wandering around outside.

I exhaled loudly and went out through the gates, nodding to the security officers, who lingered around the open gate. I started walking down a long, empty sidewalk and peered over my shoulder for a taxi, but found none.

I stopped at the corner of a busy street and whipped out my phone when someone ran into me.

"Oh! I'm so sorry!" I apologized, watching coffee go all over his white t-shirt.

The man stumbled back and his face twisted into anger. "Hey, what the fuck is—" He started to say when he looked at me and clamped his lips shut before slapping on a smile. "It's fine."

"A-Are you sure? I can totally buy you a new coffee or something." I said, hoping to even things out.

The man raised an eyebrow. "Is that a date?"

My brows furrowed together in confusion and before I could rephrase myself, someone grabbed my elbow.

"Is this man bothering you, babe?" Javon asked, his voice tight as his eyes roamed up and down at the man.

My body tensed up and I noticed we started to create a scene and I quickly shook my head. "N-No. I offered to buy him coffee since I bumped into him and ruined his nice shirt."

Javon rudely scoffed and took out his wallet, pulling out two twenties and throwing it at the man. "Disgusting idiot." He mumbled under his breath and pulled me away from the scene.

When we were a block or so away, I pulled my arm out of his grasp. "What is wrong with you? I was just offering to buy him coffee."

Javon scoffed and grabbed my elbow again. He roughly pulled me to his side, arm around my waist. When I tried to push him away, he pinched my hip. I winced and Javon shot me a warning glare. We went around a corner and I spotted his car.

"Get in and don't make me force you inside." He threatened and let me go.

My body felt hot as my anger boiled. I wanted so badly to slap him. I wanted to turn around and run, but Javon has always been faster than me. I rolled my eyes and got in the backseat instead of the front.

Javon turned in his seat and I shrugged my shoulders. "What? You wanted me to get in. I'm in."

Javon seethed and sped off. I gripped the seat as cars honked, but Javon couldn't care less as he drove back to our house.

I shifted in my seat uncomfortably as silence filled the car and I wished he turned on the radio like he usually did. I inhaled deeply and sat back as Javon drove and I glanced at the clock.

It was only eleven. I still had to wait three more hours until I had to pick Drakon from school.

That left me three hours alone with Javon.

Fear started rising again and it hit me. I never felt fear from Javon. There were times I feared for Javon when he tried to do dangerous stunts, like when rode his bike over a cliff and land in the lake back in highschool.

But I never was scared of Javon. We got along perfectly, even when we were friends or girlfriend and boyfriend. We had our share fair of fights like every couple, but he never physically hurt me.

My vision blurred and I sneaked a glance at Javon.

What happened to him? Why did he suddenly turn aggressive and jealous? Since when did he become a liar and a cheater?

I swallowed the lump down and sniffled. I turned to look at the window, but my eyes couldn't focus on the blurred trees and bushes.

My mind started to wonder and I shook my head.

Stop thinking. You'll make things worse than they appear.

I shaky exhaled long when Javon pulled up into the driveway and I unlocked the car before he was completely done parking. I slammed the door shut and hurried to the house.

I closed the door and locked it before Javon got out of his car. I went to the kitchen and paused at the doorway.

No. It was probably a smart idea to hide somewhere where there were no sharp objects. I bolted upstairs and turned to the right when the front door slammed shut.

My heart jumped to my throat and I quietly went to the bathroom, closing the door gently to not make a sound. I hid my bag under the sink and sat on the edge of the tub.

I buried my face in my hands and felt my temples throb in pain. I winced and rubbed my temples when Javon banged against the door. I jumped and quickly composed myself.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"We need to talk." Javon responded, twisting the knob.

I stood up and flushed the toilet to pretend I was using the bathroom. I unlocked the door wide enough to see him. I placed my foot on the other side of the door and kept my hand on the door just in case.

"Talk then." I said, putting my hand on my fist. I wanted to show him I wasn't afraid, but my heart raced and I felt fidgety as the adrenaline kicked in.

Javon lifted his head, and for a split second, his eyes were completely black except for two small white pupils. I froze in my spot, feeling the cold.

"What were you doing in the city?" He asked, crossing his arms over his shoulders.

My tongue felt heavy and I couldn't say anything. I couldn't help but just stare.

Javon raised an eyebrow and stepped closer. "Well?!" He yelled, his patience already worn out.

I snapped myself out of it and I slowly shook my head. "I-I went to visit Mrs. Steven at the hospital. Do you remember her?"

Javon had an "ah" moment and nodded. "Why did you visit her?"

I titled my head to the side. "What's it to you? You're going to forbid me to visit my friend or something?"

Javon scoffed and started to walk away. I lowered my eyes to the floor and heard the front door slammed shut. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding in and slid to the floor. I cupped my forehead, my hair tangling with my fingers as I stared at the floor with wide eyes.

So it was true. I am going nuts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

195 27 27
A group of friends go on a camping trip in the woods after Demi nearly a year before got pushed off a cliff by a masked man who has still not got cau...
20.2K 1.8K 21
Two months after finding out that they have magical abilities, Quinn is still struggling to come to terms with the fact that they're a witch. It beco...
4.1K 162 13
Updates | Random Book one || A fan fiction on immj2 ✎ In a world cloaked in shadows, Mayura is ensnared in a labyrinth of deceit and intrigue. With V...
3.1K 1.4K 41
Book 1 of 3 [completed] [18+ mature content] Recovering from her near-death experience by the hands of her classmate, Aiden Sullivan, Adriana Anderso...