The Starlight Sentinels: The...

Od JGrayDingler

A man, a woman, a boy, a girl, a demon, and an alien, all walk into a bar... THEY FIGHT CRIME! The Starlight... Viac

Prologue: First Impressions
Chapter 1: Snipe Hunt
Chapter 3: Mary Misfortune
Chapter 4: The Haunting Visage of Vyn Lon
Chapter 5: Master May I?
Chapter 6: The Lynch Man
To Be Continued...

Chapter 2: Hostile Takeover

204 5 2
Od JGrayDingler

Eric squirmed impatiently in his seat. Looking over to the driver's side, he saw his father, Joseph, focused on the road. The concentration chiseled on his dad's face remained unchanged even as the wind blew through his long dark hair. Unable to summon such patience himself, Eric sighed and stuck his head out the window.

"Son, sit down. You worry me when you do that."

"Everything I do and this is what worries you?"

"Who says I'm not worried when you're on the job?"

"Please, let's not have this talk again. I'll be fine."

"It's dangerous work. Something could happen to you."

"It's important work. Something could happen to a lot of other people if I weren't—hey!" Eric leaned further out the window. "Did you see that? That guy just cut us off."

"I saw it," assured Joseph.

"And that doesn't bother you?"

"It's fine son."

"If I were on duty I'd so pull that guy over," mumbled Eric as he sat down in his seat and crossed his arms.

"And you wonder why I don't ever let you drive."

"Once my learner permit becomes a driver's license you won't have a choice."

"So you keep reminding me." Joseph sighed. "I just wish you had waited until after you finished high school before doing this superhero thing."

"Why? Did one of my teachers say something about me not applying myself or something again? Because I'm still getting passing grades, and that was the deal."

"No, it's just that you're so young."

"So? I've been doing this for years now. I did ride alongs with the police when I was eleven years old."

"Yeah, about once a month. Ever since you teamed up with Daryl you're out on patrol almost every other night."

"I thought you trusted Daryl?"

"I do, but now you're saying you're part of a sponsored superhero team and you'll be working nearly every night now."

"We're expanding, it's a good thing. And more heroes means I'll be safer than before. You've got less to worry about than—what is this guy waiting for? The light's green moron!"

"Eric..."

"We're gonna get stuck at another red light and—there it is, now we're stuck waiting for another light, all because the guy at the front didn't know green means go."

"I suppose if you were on-duty you'd just run the light?" asked Joseph.

"No, because the chief of police won't sign off on us using emergency lights and sirens. Superheroes who get caught in traffic, it's so stupid."

"Just try to be patient son, we're going to be there soon."

"Hard to be patient when I could have run there on foot by now."

"You shouldn't be in such a hurry all the time Eric."

"Why? Does me being in a hurry worry you too?"

"Honestly, yes. You're so eager to grow up you're going to miss out on some of the best years of your life. It's great you want to save the world, but you should enjoy your life too."

"Being a hero is what I enjoy. I make a difference, and I enjoy that. It's school that's killing me. It's what's causing me to miss out on life."

"Don't be like that. What about that girl you started seeing?"

"She called it off."

"Already? Didn't you just go on your first date?"

"Had to skip it for work. Daryl thought he found a big drug deal we could bust. Turned out it was just a rave."

"You see, that's what I mean when I say you're missing out on things."

"Missing what? A date with a chick who doesn't understand I have to work? Besides, there's this older girl who's trying out for the Sentinels who's got super strength. She's way cooler than any girl at my school. Just wish Daryl would hire her already." Eric watched eagerly as they rounded a corner and the firehouse came into view. "Almost there." The boy smiled as he leaned over the dashboard for a better look.

"I just wish you'd call home more often."

"Is that what this is about? When I'm on patrol, I've gotta pay attention to what I'm doing. I can't be calling you all the time."

"You don't have to call all the time, just every now and then would be fine."

"Sometimes I'm out past midnight. Do you really want me to wake you up just to let you know I'm okay?"

"I would. Waking me up is a small price to pay because I'll be able to sleep easier after that. I mean, you tell me things like you were chasing a demon last week and I start thinking the worst when I don't hear from you."

"She's a friendly demon. You could come in and even meet her if you want." Eric's father slowed the truck to a stop in front of the firehouse. "Thanks for the ride." Eric leapt out of the vehicle.

"Hang on, I'll come in with you," said Joseph as he got out of the truck.

"What? Why?"

"You said I could I meet this demon person. I can also meet your other teammates and talk to Daryl."

"Oh come on Dad. I've gotta work with these people. I don't need you embarrassing me in front of them."

"I'm not going to embarrass you. I just want to say hi to Daryl and meet your new friends, then I'll leave."

Eric sighed. "Fine, whatever." Eric led his father past the trio of massive garage doors and around the corner into a small side alley. "Oh, and don't mention the rave thing to Daryl, he's still kinda sore about that." Eric pulled open a metal door with a dent and led his father inside.

"You've got a lot of room in here," noted Joseph as he surveyed the area.

"Yeah, even after bringing the furniture in it's still pretty open on the first floor," said Eric. "Which makes it all the more annoying the only bathroom is on the second."

"Eric, you're here." The pair turned to find Daryl hunched over a small desk pushed up against the wall. He looked away from his computer and stood up to greet the pair. "And Joseph, it's good to see you again."

"Nice to see you too," said Joseph as he shook Daryl's hand.

"Dad wanted to meet our new pet demon," informed Eric.

"She's not a pet." Eric turned to find Olivia and Angela sitting on a long sofa facing a big TV mounted on the wall.

"Oh, Olivia, I didn't see you there." Eric darted over to the firehouse's newly designated living room. "I was just kidding about the pet thing. You know that, right Angela?"

"No," answered Angela in a quiet voice.

"Don't even joke about stuff like that. Her master used to tell her that she was less than a person all the time," explained Olivia.

"Oh, my bad."

"You must be the girl my son was talking about," noted Joseph.

"I'm Olivia. You're Eric's father?"

"Joseph. My son seems to have taken a liking to you."

"Dad!"

"And who is this?" Angela shied away from Joseph, hiding her face in her cloak.

"This is the demon I was telling you about. She's staying here until the Order sends her back home," explained Eric.

"She gets nervous around people she doesn't know," added Olivia.

"She doesn't have to worry about freaking my dad out. Other than worrying about me, he's one of the most laid-back people you'll ever meet."

Angela turned to Olivia. "It'll be okay," said Olivia. "Just don't act too surprised, she's sensitive about the way she looks."

"I won't make a fuss." Angela looked at Joseph, then slowly lowered the hood on her cloak, revealing her face. Joseph gasped, then started smiling again. "You don't look that much different from us."

"Thank you," answered a surprised Angela.

"See, told you he'd be cool," said Eric.

"Hey boss," mumbled a half asleep Sam as she wandered down the spiral staircase. "How long until our next patrol?"

"About an hour from now," answered Daryl. "I'm mapping out a route through some trouble areas the police want us to check on."

"Oh good, I got time to shower then." Sam turned to move back upstairs, but then she caught sight of Joseph. "Hello, who do we have here?"

"I'm Eric's father, Joseph Proudfoot," he said.

"Samantha T. Rodriguez," said Sam as she moved off the stairs. "You said you're Eric's father?" asked Sam as she shook Joseph's hand.

"I am."

"Wow, I don't envy you. I have a hard enough time working with him. Can't imagine having to live with him."

"Hey!" shouted Eric.

"Yeah, he can be quite a handful," said Joseph.

"Dad!"

"But it's only because he tries so hard," added Joseph.

"If you don't mind me asking, are you Indian, I mean, Native American?"

"My mother was a full-blooded Cherokee," answered Joseph.

"Okay, see I kept wondering if the kid was part something or if he just had a tan."

"Probably both, he spends a lot of time outdoors," reasoned Joseph.

"Yeah, but mostly at night," added Eric.

"So Proudfoot is an Indian name?" asked Sam.

"Actually it's Scottish, I got it from my father, not my mother," corrected Joseph. "So, you're a superhero too?"

"She's trying out for a spot on the team," informed Eric.

"Speaking of which, Daryl, are you getting close to making a decision on which one of us you want?" asked Sam. "Because if it's not me, I need to start making plans. There's this superhero team out west that's having open tryouts in about a week."

"I'll decide by the time we finish our patrol tonight, I swear," answered Daryl without looking up from the computer.

"Don't I get any kinda say in this?" asked Eric.

"Of course you do, it's just..."

"It just might not matter because Nick put you in charge and you get the final say on everything," bemoaned Eric.

"Why can't you just hire both of us?" asked Olivia.

"The Starlight Sentinels' sponsor only wants one more hero," said Daryl.

"Why do we have a sponsor?" asked Olivia.

"Well, Mr. Tetra's company, TetraStan, supports us so that we can better serve the public. He's the one who bought this old firehouse from the city and fixed it up for us. He also pays our salaries," explained Daryl.

"Salary? We get paid to be heroes?" asked Olivia.

"Well, we do, because we're sponsored."

"By a cell phone company," grumbled Eric.

"Mr. Tetra is allowed to write off anything he gives to our team as charitable contributions."

"It's the only reason he sponsors us," said Eric.

"Well, can't you talk to him? Ask him to hire us both?" Eric scoffed at Olivia's question. "Daryl?"

"Nick's not really—"

"Nick's not really what?" Everyone turned to find a short older man in an expensive looking suit standing in front of the door. He had slicked-back graying hair, dark eyes, and an annoyed expression on his leathery face.

"Mr. Tetra, I thought you wouldn't be back until tomorrow morning," spoke a nervous Daryl.

"No Cirque du Soleil this week, so I flew back early. Figured I'd swing by here on my way back to the office," explained Nick as he put a cigarette in his mouth. "See exactly how you were wasting my money."

"Well Mr. Tetra, we're right in the middle of something. So maybe—"

"Who the hell are all these people?" asked Nick as looked at the crowd gathered around the couch.

"I'm Joseph Proudfoot, I'm—"

"Yeah, you're Eric's father, wasn't talking about you. What's with the girls' club?" Nick caught sight of Angela's face. "And what is that?"

"Her name is Angela," informed Olivia.

"Daryl, explain."

"Well, you remember before I left I told you we were going to have an audition to expand the team?"

"Yeah, and I wanted a trio. But I guess I should have said I wanted you to turn the current team into a trio, not recruit a trio. Oh wait, I did say that!"

"And I heard you. Angela is a demon we encountered last week. She's just being held here until the Order decides what to do with her."

"You're a demon?" Angela nodded at Nick. "Okay, but why is it here? Doesn't your do-gooder clubhouse have somewhere they stick demons?"

"They told me to keep her in custody here until they can send someone to retrieve her."

"And that was a week ago?" Daryl nodded at Nick. "Wonderful, nice to know where your Order's priorities are."

"I apologize for what I am," spoke Angela.

"You speak English?" Angela nodded at Nick. "Okay. In that case, keep your claws off the furniture; I just paid for most of it."

"I will." Angela pulled her hands up to her chest.

"So you're stuck with her for now, fine. What's with the Amazon and the emo-looking chick?" asked Nick as he sized up Sam and Olivia.

"They're both trying out for a spot on the team," explained Daryl.

"Daryl, can you count? I said I wanted one more person."

"I know, but since they both would make great additions, I decided to hold an extended audition, to see which one is a better fit for our team."

"And? Which one did you pick?"

"Well, I was going to wait until the end of the day to decide."

Nick groaned loudly. "You know what, don't bother. I'll decide. You." Nick pointed at Olivia. "Name?"

"Um, Olivia."

"And your code name?"

"Puffin."

"So what, you can fly and swim?"

"No, I have super strength, and... well that's about it. I mean, technically I have some form of invulnerability, but I think it only protects me from my own strength."

"Okay... where ya from?"

"Gary."

"Gary?"

"Gary, Indiana."

"And why do you want to join the Sentinels?"

"Well, um, I was cursed by this guy, and at first nothing happened. Then I was in this car accident, and I found out I had super strength. And—"

"Okay, enough." Nick turned to Sam. "Name?"

"Samantha T. Rodriguez."

"Code name?"

"G.I. Genocide."

"Catchy. Where ya from?"

"Las Vegas."

"Really?"

"Born and raised."

"I visit Las Vegas about once a month."

"Gambling fan?"

"Gambling is for saps. I'm a fan of the shows though; that and legal prostitution. Anyways, what are your superpowers?"

"Don't have any."

"I don't suppose you pilot a mech suit or some other ludicrously over-engineered piece of technology?"

"Nope."

"Then I'm guessing you're an ex-Marine turned superhero? Like the Punisher?"

"Ex-Army, and I've never heard of a Punisher."

"The Punisher, from Marvel Comics. He was a Vietnam vet who lost his family to the mob, decided the best way to cope was to gun down crooks."

"Never heard of him, but I probably won't be gunning anyone down, seeing as I don't carry a gun."

"You don't have superpowers or a gun? What do you have?"

"Taser, pepper spray, knives—"

"Everything but a gun in other words. Is that why you were kicked out of the Army?"

"No. I used guns when I was a soldier."

"But not anymore?"

"No."

Nick tapped his foot impatiently. "Let's say there's some guy a hundred feet away from you who's about to—I don't know—blow up the world or something and all you had was a gun; what would you do?"

"Shoot him."

"In the knees?"

"At that distance I'd aim at his chest."

"So you don't object to using lethal force when necessary?"

"No."

"Or using guns when necessary?"

"No."

"But you won't carry one, why?"

Sam paused before answering. "Personal preference."

Nick grumbled something to himself, then turned back towards Olivia. "How strong are you?" he asked the girl.

"What do you mean?" asked Olivia.

"Like if you had to measure it? Are you closer to say, godly Hulk-like strength or just above top tier humans, like Spider-Man?"

"She's a lot stronger than me or Sam," said Eric.

"Not asking you."

"Well, I've broken down some doors and I can knock holes through walls. And I pulled a car back onto a bridge once."

"And how easily can you do these things?"

"Well, it takes effort. I sorta have to build up to using my strength. Like, psychologically speaking."

Nick looked at Daryl. "You can't decide because they're both so good?"

"Mr. Tetra, if you just—"

"Save it." Nick eyed Sam and Olivia. "You." Nick pointed at Sam. "Welcome aboard. You." Nick pointed at Olivia. "Better luck next time."

"That's it?" asked Eric.

"Yeah. The big one seems to have it together more than the little one. Plus, she's a twofer minority. Easier to promote a team with some diversity." Nick turned towards the door.

"Wait. You can't march in here and tell us who's on our team," said Eric.

"Yes, I can. I just did in fact."

"It's okay," said Olivia. "I don't think I'm much of a hero anyway."

"Why, because he said so? He doesn't know anything about being a hero. He didn't even ask that many questions."

"Eric, stop," pleaded Daryl. "Mr. Tetra, is there any chance we can just hire them both?"

"Honestly, I'm reconsidering hiring anyone after seeing these two."

"Well just give me to the end of the day and I'll make a decision then."

"You already had a week to do that."

"Yeah, well we've been busy all week doing our job!" argued Eric.

"You mean breaking up raves?" asked Nick.

"You heard about that?" Daryl blushed.

"If you want, you can always give up your spot on the team for them."

Eric was taken aback by this suggestion. "You know what? That sounds fine to me. I quit!" Eric stormed out the door in a hurry.

"Eric wait!" Daryl and Joseph rushed out the door and down the alley to find the boy already back in his dad's truck, putting his seat belt on.

"Take me home," Eric ordered his dad.

"Eric, stop. Just think about what you're doing," insisted Daryl.

"Son, just come back inside and we'll talk this out," said Joseph.

"There is nothing to talk about. I'd rather quit than keep working for that asshole!"

"Eric! Language!" scolded his father.

"He is. I was doing better before, without him."

"Eric, please," said Daryl. "I know you're angry—"

"And I was doing better without you."

"Eric!" scolded Joseph.

"You really feel that way?" Looking at Daryl, Eric was surprised to see just how hurt the man appeared.

"Daryl..." Eric sighed. "Daryl, you're a good guy and you're a decent hero. And I think we worked well together before, but that... jerk, is the worst. And since you seem to think we need him, I don't think I can keep working with you." Joseph led Daryl away from the truck and into the alley.

"I'll go home and talk to him," whispered Joseph. "He just needs some time to cool off."

"Yeah, that might be for the best," sighed Daryl. "Just be sure to call me if he wants to talk about this."

"He's had fits like this before. He'll get over it." A loud honk came from the street. The pair stepped out of the alley and saw Eric impatiently leaning against the truck's horn. "I'll call you later." Joseph climbed into his truck. Daryl watched as the vehicle pulled out into the road and out of sight, then he slowly walked back into the firehouse, alone.

"He not coming back?" asked Nick, not sounding all that concerned.

"Probably not anytime soon," answered Daryl.

"Oh well. Hey you," Nick motioned to Olivia. "It's your lucky day, you're hired."

"You can't just replace Eric like that," objected Daryl.

"Why not? He quit, you're a man short, we've got her lined up right here. Seems like a no-brainer."

"He was just angry, he didn't mean what he said."

"He shouldn't have said it then; I don't play games."

"What am I'm supposed to tell him if he wants to come back?"

"Position's filled. If he wants, I can have someone write him a letter of recommendation." Nick headed for the door.

"You're really just going to let him go like that?"

"He's the one who quit. Besides, I'm late for another appointment. Decided to move up finalizing the takeover of Asymmetric Applications. I'm finally moving my company beyond consumer electronics and into the realm of super science.

"Maybe I'll get them to build a robot to replace Eric, or all of you," chuckled Nick as he left the building. The group stood dumbfounded, quietly staring at the door in disbelief for a few seconds.

"Wow," awed Sam. "What an asshole."

"Nick's not the easiest person to deal with," spoke a weary Daryl.

"I thought you were the leader of this group," said Olivia. "Why does he get to decide who's going to be on the team?"

"Part of his deal as corporate sponsor for our team is he gets some say in managing the team."

"Some say? Seems like he's got a lot more than that," said Sam. "He just hired me to fill out the team's diversity quotient."

"Look, Nick's a pain, but he's just our benefactor. So don't let him get under your skin. I'm still in charge of this team, and we've got a job to do. I want you both ready for action in half an hour."

"Right. I'll go shower and change," said Sam as she headed for the stairs.

"Is Eric really off the team?" asked Olivia.

"Nick's probably cranky from jet lag and Eric's father acted like he's done this before. I'll work this out with them after they've cooled off."

"Well, if I have to leave the team so he can come back, I'd understand."

"I appreciate that. But I'm still holding out hope I can persuade Mr. Tetra to accept a four-man team," Daryl returned to his desk, sat down, and sighed. "Somehow..."

*   *   *

"Mr. Tetra." Nick stepped out of his car and found himself greeted a by a thin young man wearing glasses and an attentive look on his face. "Did you have a pleasant flight?"

"I forgot my Xanax and was awake for the whole thing, so no." Nick stretched his back, gazing up at the skyscraper towering in front of him. He studied the curved windows that formed a glass tower obscuring the front of the establishment, then grimaced. "It's like someone crashed a modern art project into the side of an office building."

"Mr. Tetra, I suggest we hurry," urged the young man.

"Right, walk and talk with me Hernán." The pair hurried past the front doors. "Ugh, this looks more like a Starbucks than a place of business," said Nick as he scowled at the lobby's modern contemporary decor. "Any chance we can change it, before we're infested with stray guitarists and amateur writers?"

"I'll look into it sir," said Hernán. "I'm not familiar with the owner's policy on tenants changing public areas."

"Tell them I'll pay for it. If that doesn't work, ask them how much they want for the whole building."

"You'd buy the entire building just to redecorate the lobby?"

"If it's cheap enough." The pair stepped into an elevator and Hernán hit the button for the thirty-fifth floor. "This is TetraStan's new headquarters, I'll probably end up buying this building eventually."

"About that, you have an investors' meeting next week and—"

"And they'll complain about me moving our home office, not doing stupid things that wouldn't actually make us more money, spending money on things that will make us more money, and it'll end with me reminding them I'm still majority shareholder. That about the size of things?"

"Generally. However, I thought it worth mentioning that when you factor in the long-term costs of the move, this deal will cost us—"

"Trust me, we're gonna make it all back. I went to China last week to see our new line of phones before they went into production. With Asymmetric Applications' contributions, they'll be the hottest things on the market."

"It's good to hear your partnership has been fruitful. However, wouldn't it be sensible to continue partnering with Asymmetric instead of buying them out? Their organization's debts are quite substantial." The elevator came to a stop and the doors slid open. Nick paused for a moment to replace his cigarette, then walked with Hernán down the hall.

"Hernán, let me give you some advice my father gave me once. 'Money is only a means, not an end.' Now my father was a drunk who would say that anytime he spent grocery money on booze, but he was still right, if not in the way he thought he was.

"I've already got more than enough money to retire comfortably on and as proud as I am of TetraStan, it's still just a business, not a passion. So really all of this is just a means to get the things I actually want."

"Which is what, sir?"

Nick smirked at his curious assistant. "My mother said dreams don't come true if you tell someone." The pair stopped in front of a large double door. "Although, I'm confident I can get what I want and make money too."

"But of course sir." Nick and Hernán stepped into an elegant boardroom. They walked down the length of the massive meeting table facing a wall of windows offering a breathtaking view of the city for anyone who was sitting across from it. On one side of the table was an eager-looking young man with glasses and seated on the other side was an elderly man in a drab gray suit with an annoyed look on his face, which he directed right at Nick.

"Nice of you to finally show up, Mr. Tetra," groused the old man.

"I apologize for the delay Straum. The superhero team I'm managing needed a little leadership," explained Nick as he took a seat.

"How tragic for you. One gross misuse of the company's resources is detracting from your ability to create another gross misuse of the company's resources."

"You forget, it's my company to misuse." Nick turned to the man sitting across from him. "Let's make this quick. Dr. Burton?" Nick motioned to the younger man in glasses. "Your lawyers and my lawyers have been in talks for months now and we're all in agreement about you selling Asymmetric Applications to TetraStan, right? So—"

"Actually," said Dr. Burton. "My lawyer was wondering if we could maybe renegotiate our conditions?"

"Um, let me see—no. My company met all the requirements you've listed, including moving my corporate headquarters to this city."

"At great personal expense to us," added Straum.

"It's just, Dalton Conglomerated is offering us a similar deal that would allow us to maintain a greater degree of control over our organization."

"Dalton? Let me guess, he offered to cover all the breach of contract fees you'd incur if you broke off your deal with me."

"Yes, and my lawyer said—"

"Your lawyer probably stands to make a nice fee from Dalton if he talks you into it. Sell to Dalton and he will use your group for leverage to get money from bank loans and investors. Then sometime later he'll declare you bankrupt and keep everything he can by using your group as collateral.

"But it's your group. By all means, trust your shortsighted attorney and make a deal with a Donald Trump wannabe who'll gut everything you've built to make himself a little richer."

"Please, Mr. Tetra, I meant no disrespect," assured an apologetic Burton. "I really do want to deal with you. It was my lawyer's idea, he thought we could use Dalton's proposal as leverage to get a better deal."

"Then you should've let him do the talking," said Nick. "Telling me you want to deal with me kinda guarantees this ploy won't work."

"Again, I apologize," said Burton. "He said—"

"Lawyers are supposed to work for you, consider that some free business advice," said Nick. "And that's just one minor fringe benefit of working for me. Speaking of which, now that we're all ready to sign—"

"Actually," everyone turned to see a man standing in the far corner of the boardroom, staring out the window. "I have some major concerns about your company gaining control of such cuttin' edge technological advances."

"This your lawyer?" Nick watched as the man approached the table. He was a very tall and very muscular man with broad shoulders, a chiseled jaw and a neatly trimmed brown mustache that complimented his crew cut. He towered over everyone else in the room and his arms looked like they were ready to burst out of the cheap suit he was wearing at a moment's notice. "I can see why you might listen to what he has to say."

"That's not my lawyer," said Burton. "He said he was your bodyguard."

"What?" said Straum. "He told me he was your bodyguard."

"Okay, just the who the hell are you?" asked Nick.

"Mr. Tetra," the man's deep voice didn't ease Nick's concerns. "I'ma concerned private citizen seekin' a discussion with you."

"Security!" Nick pressed a button on the phone mounted on the desk.

"I went to great lengths to assure we wouldn't be disturbed."

"Hello? Anyone?" Nick let go of the phone on the desk and fished his cellphone out of his pocket, which prompted the man with the mustache to pull something out of his coat.

"I'd greatly appreciate it if y'all behaved yourselves." Nick froze at the sight of a small pistol being aimed at him. Without warning, a pair of armed men in gray uniforms burst into the room.

"Now, if you just put your phones and anything else you folks may be carrying on the table real slow like, no one will have to get hurt." Nick and the others did as ordered, slowly emptying their pockets. The two armed men walked down the ends of the table, confiscating anything electronic.

"Now if y'all just keep your hands on the table where I can see them, we won't have no trouble." Everyone set their hands on the table as ordered. "Thank you kindly. Gentlemen, would you be so kind to lock the door on your way out?" The two men in gray left the room.

"Like I said, I went to great lengths to assure we wouldn't be disturbed." The man slid the gun back into his coat and sat down in front of Nick. "So please, get comfortable. We got an awful lot to discuss."

*   *   *

"So, you're leaving again?" asked Angela.

"Yeah, I gotta work. Is there anything you need before I go?" said Olivia.

"No. I will just wait in my room."

"All right, when I get back I'll play my guitar for you again."

Angela smiled. "I'd like that." She nodded politely and quickly took her leave.

"I feel bad about always leaving Angela here," Olivia told Daryl. "Is there any chance we can take her out sometime?"

"I don't like keeping her cooped up here either," said Daryl. "But it's important Angela stays isolated until the Order examines her. I don't think most people would react well if they were to see a demon."

"I just wish we could give her something to do while I'm gone."

"I thought you leant her your laptop?"

"I did. She's never used a computer, but I showed her how to listen to music with it. I don't think she uses it when we're gone though."

"She doesn't always eat all the food I bring her either. I've been meaning to ask her if she has a preference but when I talk to her she always seems..."

"Nervous?" Daryl nodded. "It's like she thinks she'll get in trouble if she asks us for anything. It worries me." Olivia sighed.

"I don't know what to tell you," said Daryl. "I never met a demon before I became a superhero. So your guess is as good as mine."

"How long have you been a superhero?"

"Three years now, two of which I was a sidekick."

"Have you ever fought a super villain?"

"Super criminal."

"Huh?"

"The Order prefers we call them super criminals instead of villains, so as not to glorify their actions," clarified Daryl.

"Okay. So have you ever fought a super criminal?"

"Not personally, no. I watched Taurus Borealis fight one once, although it wasn't much of a fight. Super criminals tend to avoid the authorities like any other criminal, so they rarely come to us."

"What about Eric? He said he fought a super villain once."

"Super criminal, and yes, he did."

"Who'd he fight?"

"I forget his name. It happened before I met Eric, so you would have to ask him for the details. I wouldn't worry about super criminals, we're more like beat cops. We patrol the city, help people who need it and fight crime where we see it. Super crimes tend to be handled more directly by the Order itself. If we encounter a super criminal in our jurisdiction, we do have a responsibility to apprehend them. But our jurisdiction is just this one city."

An alarm started ringing throughout the building, prompting Daryl to rush to the computer.

"Please don't tell me that means a super villain is attacking."

"Criminal, and it means we're needed for an emergency."

"What's going on?" asked Sam as she rushed down the stairs, hurriedly putting the rest of her costume on.

"There's a hostage situation in the business district at..." Daryl stopped suddenly.

"Well?" asked Sam.

"The Scripps Center," spoke Daryl. "That's where Mr. Tetra was going."

"Cranky old guy from earlier?" asked Sam.

"Yeah." Daryl stood up. "Sentinels Mobilize!"

*   *   *

"Mr. Tetra, I'm Colonel Irongate of the Neo-Confederacy," announced the mustached man.

"Ohh... kay. Can I be General Wooldoor of the Techno-Union?"

"You can be Niko Tatopoulos, if you prefer we use our real names."

Nick scowled. "Fine, Irongate is it? What do you want?" Nick reached for something on the table, prompting Irongate to pull his gun. "I'm just getting a cigarette." Nick lit a cigarette and Irongate put the gun away.

"Mr. Tetra, I'm here today to represent my organization."

"The Neo-Confederacy? So, you're here to, what? Segregate my water fountains and force my employees to pick cotton?"

"Your simplistic views of the American Civil War are disappointing. You do know it was fought for more than slavery? It was a war against a corrupt overreaching government for, as Jefferson Davis said, to be left alone."

"Yeah, left alone, to keep slavery. Jefferson Davis's Vice President said whites being superior to blacks was the natural order. And the Confederate states put slavery in their declarations of succession as the reason."

"An unfortunate truth, much like how northern mill workers were strong-armed into indentured servitude."

"And we treated the Irish like shit. And we put the asshole responsible for the Trail of Tears on the twenty-dollar bill. Nineteenth-century America sucked for everyone who wasn't the right kind of rich white man. What's your point?"

Irongate chuckled at Nick. "You know your history. I suppose you're almost as smart as you think you are. Your attitude on the other hand—"

"I'm a busy man, so unless someone has something worthwhile to say, I tend to tune out," asserted Nick. "Plus, I don't think you're really in a place to lecture me about attitudes."

"Fair enough. Mr. Tetra, I'll level with you; I couldn't care less about defending Southern pride. I just figured I'd have some fun with you first."

"So this Neo-Confederacy is what, some kind of bad joke?" asked Nick.

"Not in itself, no. We don't have any romanticized delusions about the actual American Confederacy, but we are dedicated to the founding fathers' right of revolution. Specifically, when a government becomes destructive to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and institute a new, better government."

"If you want to oppose the government, why are you here?"

"Because America and much of the world has become a corporatocracy. In addition to corrupt governments, we have multinational conglomerates, such as yours, who wield enormous unchecked power with no responsibility to anyone."

"What power? I make cell phones. And as for responsibility, do you have any idea how much time I spend arguing with regulatory agencies? I'm just as much a victim of the government as anyone else."

"You're a billionaire about to buy a major scientific research firm and have an entire division of lawyers to subvert any law that would hinder your exploits."

"Would you prefer I subvert the law at gunpoint like you're doing?"

"My mere single act of aggression is nothing compared to the destruction people such as yourself can unleash. Companies like this one have willfully created worldwide economic collapses for profit, blown up mountains for coal mining and sabotaged the country's power grids to create price hikes."

"Cry me a river. That all pales in comparison to actual governments, who can and often do start actual wars."

"Wars that benefit oil companies, no-bid contractors and private armies of mercenaries. The only people not paid well are the soldiers they send to fight those wars." Irongate scowled at Nick. "Believe me, Mr. Tetra, I have no love for our government. In fact, almost no one does. What I can't figure out is why most people don't seem to have the same mistrust for faceless corporate empires as well."

"Probably because you have to obey the government. People can choose which companies they want to support."

"Provided said companies don't already have a monopoly, collude with each other, or pay lobbying firms to rewrite the laws so that the government serves them instead of the people. Otherwise, big business lets you choose between going quietly, or kickin' and screamin'."

"Sorta like how you forced me to have this conversation with you?" Irongate glowered at Nick. "By the way, if I had known you were going to be so preachy, I would have picked kicking and screaming."

A frustrated Irongate stared at Nick, who impatiently tapped his fingers on the desk. The rest of the boardroom just watched quietly as the two men continued to study each other until a distant gunshot broke the silence.

"What happened?" asked Irongate as he removed a radio from his waist.

"I found a woman on the phone with the police," reported a man.

"I was hoping to avoid unnecessary conflict, but we planned for this eventuality," said Irongate. "Proceed as scheduled, and be quick." Irongate put his radio away. "Get settled, we're going to be here for a little while."

*   *   *

A row of flashing police cars and roadblocks had completely shut down the street leading in front of the Scripps Center. Undeterred, Daryl skidded his motorcycle to a sudden stop in front of the police barricade and rushed towards the nearest officer.

"Step away sir, we have a situation," ordered the officer.

"I'm Count Nutus of the Starlight Sentinels," he announced.

"Who?"

"He's from our resident superhero team," informed Sergeant Frost as he approached the first officer.

"Our city has a superhero team?" asked the officer.

"Unfortunately," said Frost.

"What's the situation?" inquired Daryl.

"So, am I supposed to tell him what's happening?" asked the officer.

"Clear a path!" A short woman forced herself past the blockade.

"Chief Izuna?" The first officer quickly saluted the stone-faced, silver-haired, elderly woman in uniform. "What are you doing here?"

"Not sitting at a desk during a major terrorist attack. Nelson, brief me."

"Yes ma'am. About twenty minutes ago we got a call from a woman who said she saw at least two armed men storming an office on the thirty-fifth floor of the Scripps Center. She wasn't initially seen by the suspects and hid in her office. She spoke to the police for several minutes before being cut off by gunfire.

"The first officers on the scene arrived to find the building's main entrance barricaded and several people claiming to have been forced out of the building by three gunmen in the lobby. Since then we've got a barrage of confused calls from people inside using their cellphones. One of the calls was from someone claiming to be amongst the attackers.

"He said his group has taken control of the building's security system, barricaded all the exits and shut down the elevators. He also said they killed the woman who called the police and will execute more hostages if they detect any kind of entry or even hear a helicopter approach the building."

"The Deputy Chief told me about the helicopter thing. I was personally calling the local news stations before I came here. I told them they'd be an accessory to murder if they brought a news copter anywhere near here. What are their demands?"

"Other than warning us to stay away, they haven't issued any demands."

"What do we have to work with so far?"

"We've got two sniper teams setting up to watch for any activity through the windows. The Scripps Center is taller than everything else in the area, so they can't see much on the higher floors, and obviously we can't use a helicopter.

"We're also debriefing the few dozen people who fled the building during the initial take over. Amongst them was a security officer who was on break at the time of the attack. Between him and a floor plan of the lobby, we've got something for the SWAT team to work with once they get here."

"Alright, in the meantime I want our roadblock extended. Officer Nelson, get on that, then call emergency dispatch to find out which numbers those calls came from. We need to establish a line of communication between us and the suspects. Daniel?"

"Yeah," answered Frost.

"Find our crisis negotiator and send him my way. Then round up our best men to join the SWAT team. Building this big is going to take all the people they can get."

"What about us?" Izuna turned to Daryl, Sam and Olivia standing right behind her.

"What are you doing here?" asked Chief Izuna.

"We're here to help with the crisis," answered Daryl.

"Captain Washington! Has anyone seen Washington!" called Izuna.

"Right here," said Washington as he approached Izuna.

"You handle the costume crowd. Have them direct traffic or something. I don't care what, just so long as it's away from me."

"Right, come on." Washington motioned for the team to follow him.

"So does everyone in this city hate us?" asked Sam as they moved out of earshot of Chief Izuna.

"I can't speak for everyone, but the chief generally doesn't like anyone," assured Washington. "Where's Eric?"

"He's... not available today," answered Daryl.

"Why not?"

"Well, he..."

"He's out of town with his dad," lied Sam.

"Really? He's going to hate missing this."

*   *   *

"Why me?" asked Nick. "You're talking about corporate boogie men raping the Earth and stepping on people, but what makes me so bad?"

"Why do you think I'm here?" asked Irongate.

"I don't know, that's why I'm asking you!" retorted Nick. "I've gone out of my way to hold TetraStan to high professional standards."

"Spare me the sales pitch Mr. Tetra. Despite your claims of standards, TetraStan only does the bare minimum to make that technically true," said Irongate. "Sadly the minimal amount you do to maintain your company's 'standards' is still a lot more than most people in your position have done."

"So I'm... what? The least evil CEO?" asked a confused Nick.

"Could be. You do give a lot more money to charities than most CEO's."

"Tax write-offs. If I have to give up some money every year, I might as well choose where it goes."

"You could easily set up offshore accounts and defer income indefinitely to keep more of your money."

"I have enough bad PR as it is."

"You don't strike me as the kind of man who concerns himself with PR."

"Then just what kind of man do I strike you as?"

"I think, you're someone who does a little more good than harm."

"If you feel that way about me, why the holdup?"

"Because even though you do more than most, it's not nearly enough."

"Okay, this is getting weird... er. Why don't you just tell me what it is you actually want?"

"I wanna make an example out of you. If you were to embrace your more altruistic endeavors, you could become a model of corporate philanthropy."

Nick laughed. "You're ordering me to be a better person or you'll kill me? You know, you should have went with the crazy Confederate out for revenge against the North angle, that would make more sense than what you're proposing."

"Is it really so hard for you to want to help your fellow man?"

"No. It's the fact that you think you can convince assholes to stop being assholes with the business end of a gun and an annoying lecture," chuckled Nick. "And as far as I'm concerned, I already do more than enough good as a well-meaning jackass, and most people still don't think well of me. Just ask the superhero team I'm sponsoring when they get here."

*   *   *

"A'ight, let's go!" Sam diligently waved a lane of traffic around the police roadblock. "Can't believe I got all suited up for this."

"Sam!" She looked up to see Daryl floating above her.

"Sup Boss?" she asked as he landed next to her.

"I got Olivia working the other side of the roadblock. Are you okay?"

"Uh, yeah, just fine. The hostage situation in the building behind me isn't affecting my ability to direct traffic in the slightest," quipped Sam.

"Look, I know you're annoyed—"

"Ya think?"

"I'm not happy either, but we have to cooperate with the police."

"Even when they use us as traffic cops?"

Daryl sighed. "What would you have me do? We can't just barge in there behind their backs."

"We should at least be allowed to barge in there with them. I hate to think when danger calls, we hang around outside and do pointless bitch work." A car beeped its horn. "Wait your turn!" shouted Sam.

"Wait, isn't that Joseph's truck?" Daryl watched as Eric leapt out of the truck nearest the front of the intersection.

"Guess that answers that," said Sam.

"See ya at home." Eric waved to his dad and raced towards where Daryl and Sam were standing.

"Eric—" Eric raced past Daryl. "Hey, wait a minute." Daryl put his hand on Eric's shoulder, who immediately swatted it away.

"Hands off, I don't work for you anymore, remember?"

"Then what are you doing here? You're not licensed as a solo hero."

"I'll work with the police, like I did before I met you."

"Good luck with that. They don't seem to want us around," mumbled Sam as she went back to directing traffic.

"Maybe not you guys. I've worked with them a lot longer though."

"I don't think that matters to the Chief," commented Captain Washington as he approached the group. "Nice to see you're back in town though K.A."

"In town?" repeated Eric. "Jack, what's going on?"

"Izuna is on a real tear; got us running around doing whatever she thinks we're supposed to be doing in a situation like this."

"Izuna? She's here?" Eric groaned.

"Yeah. She wants to be the big hero who saves the day, instead of you guys."

"She can't just sideline us. Can't we talk to her or something?"

"I don't think she's in the mood to listen after that whole rave debacle."

"She already read my incident report?" asked a sheepish Daryl.

"No, but the morning news wasn't kind to your group," said Washington. "They said, and I quote 'Not content with claiming the city's most popular bar, our local superheroes have moved onto crashing raves and—"

"We didn't crash it, we were investigating a disturbance," said Daryl.

"And we didn't claim crap," added Eric. "That firehouse hasn't been a bar in like almost a year."

"I know, I told Izuna all that earlier, but it didn't make any difference to her," said Washington.

"So I guess we're stuck directing traffic then," said Sam.

"Actually, I can take over here for a while." Captain Washington moved towards Sam and took her place signaling traffic. "I can tell a street cop to take over for your new recruit as well."

"Thank you Captain. I wish we could do more," said Daryl.

"You know, I was talking with the security guard we found, specifically the one leaning over that squad car with the laptop on the hood, and he was telling me someone could easily avoid the building's security system if they could just come in through the roof, where there are no cameras.

"He even showed me an easy to remember route to the security room from there. If only there were a way to fly a squad up there without making enough noise to alert the perps."

"Daryl could probably do that if we weren't ordered to play traffic cop," griped Sam.

"Well, technically, she said she doesn't care what you do, just so long as it's away from her," smiled Washington.

"Wait, are you telling us to—"

"I'm just making small talk. I can probably cover the traffic if you guys want to take off somewhere. You've probably got more important things to do anyway."

"Thanks Jack," smiled Eric.

"For what?" smirked Washington.

*   *   *

"You're insane," said Nick. "I mean besides the violent behavior and the delusions of grandeur. Even if I became a paragon of corporate compassion, no one would follow my example."

"We don't know that. Has anyone in your position ever tried to persuade power-hungry tycoons to act more civil?"

"I'm pretty sure Bill Gates did something like this. Tried to convince a bunch of billionaires to be more generous and care about curing diseases."

"Really? The fella who made his fortune running a company constantly accused of illegal monopolistic practices and sellin' defective products tried to inspire generosity in like-minded corporate moguls? How'd that work out for him?"

Nick shrugged. "Probably not well. Gates has been doing the charity thing for a while now and I don't think any CEO's are following his lead. No one is really going to care about what I do unless it's directly threatening their bottom line."

"Well then, why don't you do exactly that?"

"What?"

"You could use your company's resources for the public good and advertise such acts as the reason for people to invest in your company instead of the competition. Employ your social conscience as a weapon against those without one."

"Okay, this is at least interesting crazy talk. Keep going."

"You already make the claim that your products are superior as a selling point. Why not also sell people on being a morally superior company as well? Consumers would be more willing to buy from a company that demonstrates regular acts of altruism."

"Well, you've finally got my interest at least. Do tell how I would go about being a charitable businessman who crushes his enemies."

*   *   *

"I hate flying!" yelled Sam as she clung to Daryl, too horrified to even look down at the abyss of empty space between her and the ground.

"Don't be such a baby," said Eric as he clung to Daryl's back. "Daryl, can't you fly any faster?"

"No, I'm having a hard enough time keeping my concentration while carrying three people as it is."

"Then why are we flying so much higher than the actual building we're aiming for!" asked Sam as she closed her eyes.

"We don't know if anyone is on the roof or not. Better to play it safe and keep out of sight," explained Daryl.

"Plus the police won't see us this high up," added Eric.

"Wait, why don't we want the police to see us?" asked Olivia.

"Because we're not supposed to be doing this," said Sam.

"Hey, Washington said the chief doesn't care what we do as long as it's away from her," said Eric. "This is like as 'away' as we could be from her."

"Yeah, I'm sure that'll hold up in court," grumbled Sam.

"Alright, we're getting close now. Sam, you've got a pair of binoculars, right?" asked Daryl.

"Yeah, why?"

"I need you to scout out the roof, see if there's anyone down there."

"Really? I was kind of hoping I could just keep my eyes closed until we landed somewhere." Sam started fumbling through her vest. She pulled out some small binoculars and quickly put them up to her face. "Yeah, the roof looks mostly empty."

"Mostly?" asked Daryl.

"It's a huge ass multilayered roof, I can't see everything from this angle. Just land in that center part," pleaded Sam.

"All right. I'm going down. Once we're there, everyone remain quiet and keep low until we secure the roof." Daryl landed the group with a soft thud. Eric let go of Daryl, who released Sam and Olivia.

Large machinery and thick pipes canvassed the area. Eric immediately charged forward while Daryl flew off to the far side of the area. Sam pulled her taser and moved up, Olivia nervously tiptoeing behind her. The bulky machinery's loud mechanical humming made it difficult to hear.

Olivia found her heart was beating faster as they moved along, terrified they'd be attacked without even knowing it. Sam stopped near a corner and signaled for Olivia to fall in behind her. She watched Sam use a mirror to look around the corner, then burst forward with her taser out in front of her. Olivia rushed after the woman, expecting an enemy platoon waiting for them, but all she found was an elevator door.

"See anything?" asked Daryl as he landed beside the pair.

"Nothing," reported Sam.

"It looks all clear," added Eric as he joined the group.

"Good. Olivia, pry the elevator open. Sam, cover her." Olivia forced her fingers in-between the cracks and quickly pried the doors open, revealing an empty elevator shaft.

"Okay, I'll fly us down to the first floor. From there we'll follow the route the guard laid out to the security room."

"Do we all have to go to the security room? Maybe I could start clearing the other floors," suggested Eric.

"We need to stay together. We don't know how many attackers there are or where they're stationed. Splitting up will increase our chances of alerting them to our presence."

"They wouldn't see or hear me coming. I can—"

"No Eric. Washington just wanted us to reach the security room. We're already treading thin ice as it is, we don't need to take unnecessary risks."

"You know, I'm not actually on this team anymore, so I don't have to take orders from you." Daryl gave Eric a disappointed look, who sighed in response. "Fine, but I consider this a personal favor to you," said Eric as he climbed on Daryl's back.

"How gracious of you." Sam clipped a flashlight to her vest while Daryl carefully grabbed hold of her and Olivia. Slowly the group descended through the dark elevator shaft, Daryl counting the doors until they reached the ground floor. Slowly he maneuvered Olivia closer to the exit so she could force it open. Daryl flew past the opening and landed the team in an empty hall.

"Eric, take point. Sam, cover him." Sam pulled her taser while Eric moved to the end of the hallway. Daryl watched as Olivia closed the door to the elevator shaft, then joined the rest of the group. The sound of the team's soft footsteps echoed throughout the otherwise eerie silence that had fallen over the building. Signs of panic littered the floor in the form of scattered papers and personal effects.

Everyone briefly stopped while Sam examined an open door. She swiftly darted into the room, only to emerge a few seconds later. She signaled it was clear and the team continued down the hall, closing in on the door to the security office.

Daryl motioned towards Sam and Olivia, prompting the pair to move to the door. Olivia pressed her back against the wall and positioned herself so that her right leg was close enough to make contact with the door. Sam counted down with her fingers, then signaled Olivia, who kicked the entrance to the security room, breaking the lock and flinging the door open.

Sam charged inside and found a man sitting in front of a bank of computer monitors. He spun around, reaching for something, when Sam fired her taser, striking the man in the chest. He collapsed onto the floor, shouting in pain. Sam handcuffed him while Eric rushed into the room.

"Watch the door," Daryl ordered Olivia as he entered the room. Sam started searching the man's pockets while Eric came running back to Daryl.

"Room's clear," reported Eric.

"What did you find?" Daryl asked Sam.

"A radio, a ring of keys and this." Sam handed a wallet to Daryl.

"Herman Calloway," Daryl read from a driver's license.

"Not too bright carrying that around during something like this, speaking of which." Sam removed a gun from Herman's belt.

"Good thing you shot first."

"Not quite." Sam removed the magazine from the pistol and handed it to Daryl. "It's a BB gun." Herman started moaning as he struggled to move.

"Let's talk to him." Sam picked the man off the floor and dumped him in a chair. He was young, had dark hair, and was wearing a security guard's uniform that looked ill-fitting on him, like a kid playing dress up. His small stature made him look more like a hall monitor than a terrorist.

"Can you hear me?" The man just moaned in response to Daryl.

"I zapped him pretty good," said Sam as she ejected her taser's cartridge. "But I think I know how to wake him up." Sam moved closer to the man and wrapped her fingers around the taser prongs embedded in his chest. With a quick jerk, she yanked them out, causing him to yelp in pain. "That should do it."

"What happened? Who are you people?" mumbled the man.

"We're the Starlight Sentinels, and you're under arrest. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law. You have the right to an attorney. If you can't afford an attorney one will be appointed for you. Do you understand these rights as they've been read to you?" explained Daryl.

"Screw you!" said the man.

"I'll take that as a yes."

"I'm not telling you assholes anything!"

"You're dead wrong about that." The man quivered in fear as Sam pulled a knife from her belt and approached him.

"Genocide, stop." Daryl held out his arm to halt Sam, then approached the man in the chair. "Now Herman—"

"How do you know my name?" Daryl held up Herman's wallet.

"Oh shit. I knew I forgot something. Or, forgot to forget something."

"Herman, judging from this and the fact that you're armed with only a pellet gun, I'm gonna wager you didn't intend to kill anyone today. Right?"

"This is a protest against corporate greed, we're not here to kill anyone."

"So you wouldn't want to be an accessory to murder then?"

"What?"

"Someone amongst your group has claimed they've killed the person who contacted the police, and would kill more hostages if anyone intruded."

"That's just a bluff, we're not going to kill anyone. Irongate just wants to send a message to all the megalomaniacal controlling interests out there; they're not beyond the people's grasp."

"And you think BB guns are enough to carry that message?" asked Sam.

"What is Irongate?" asked Daryl.

"He's the leader of our group, the Neo-Confederacy."

"Neo-Confederacy? Well, I'm going to enjoy kicking your racist friends' asses then," smiled Sam.

"We're not like that. We rebel against any and all corrupt institutions that control the world."

"Herman, how well do you actually know this Irongate man?"

"Well, I've talked to him over the phone a few times and he sent me some emails. He said me and my friends were the kind of people he needed for this operation."

"Friends?"

"Couple of the guys I go to college with, they're guarding the lobby." Herman flinched. "Why did I just say that?"

"Let me ask you something," said Sam. "What's this Irongate guy's plan for getting out of here?"

"I'm not telling you."

"He didn't tell you, did he?"

Herman didn't answer.

"Is this guy paying you or anything?" asked Eric.

"No."

"Did he offer you anything?" asked Daryl.

"He said there might be more work for me if I did well."

"More unpaid, criminal, life-threatening work?" asked Sam.

"I also mentioned that he could maybe help pay down my student loans," added a sheepish Herman. "He never did get back to me on that one." The group just stared at Herman, almost pitying him.

"Lobby to security. Everything normal," spoke a voice from the radio Sam had taken from Herman.

"Are they expecting you to report back?" asked Daryl.

"Yeah," answered Herman.

"Repeat. Lobby to security. What's the situation?" Daryl took the radio from Sam and held it up to Herman's face.

"Tell them everything's fine, and nothing else. G.I. Genocide is the type to hold grudges, and thanks to your driver's license, she knows where you live." Sam flashed a wicked smile while brandishing her knife in front of a nervous Herman. "Are you going to cooperate?" Herman nodded.

"Security? What's going on?" Daryl held the radio's talk button.

"Security here. Everything's fine," spoke Herman in a calm voice. "There's going to be two more calls," he told Daryl after the man released the talk button on the radio.

"Thirty-third-floor. Nothing to report," crackled the radio before Daryl held the talk button again.

"Security. Copy that."

"What happens if you don't report in?" asked Daryl.

"Irongate said he's planned for intrusions," said Herman.

"What exactly?"

"I don't know. He just said he's got it covered."

"Twenty-eighth-floor reporting. Everything's under control."

"Security. Copy." Herman breathed a sigh of relief as Daryl set the radio down.

"You said your friends are guarding the lobby. Who are the other people on the other floors?" asked Daryl.

"I never met them. They work for Irongate I guess," answered Herman.

"Is it just one man per floor?"

"It should be. Only the lobby was supposed to have more than one."

"And where's Irongate?"

"He's on the thirty-fifth floor. Said he wanted to talk to the head of TetraStan."

"Nick," realized Daryl. "What does he want with Nick Tetra?"

"I don't know. He said something about scaring him straight."

"What does that mean!"

"I don't know! He said I was on a need to know basis and that I didn't need to know. He told me this was all going to be based on just the threat of force. He said no one was going to get hurt," sobbed Herman.

"So this guy demands there'd be no helicopters in the air and then holds up near the roof? He must be planning to leave with his own chopper and just ditch you and your friends," concluded Sam.

"He... he wouldn't do that. I provided him with the building's layout and keys to the other floors. I was the one who cut the elevators and phones," rationalized an uneasy Herman.

"Wake up," said Eric. "The police have this place surrounded and you're on the ground floor. He already got what he needs from you. So now you're just here to slow the cops down when they break in."

"Even if that wasn't the case, you've already told us almost everything you know. I doubt anyone is coming to save you.

Herman slumped down in his seat. "My parents are going to kill me."

"Wow," awed Sam as she watched the meek example of a man do his best not to cry. "This is just sad." Sam approached Herman, still holding her knife.

"What are you doing?"

"Just taking care of you." Sam cut Herman's shirt where the taser had struck him until she could see the wound. She put the knife away and removed some medical tape from her vest.

"Herman, do your friends have guns?" asked Daryl.

"No. They're using blank guns. They said they'd get one for me, but—"

"Have they taken any hostages?" interrupted Daryl.

"I don't think so. We had specific instructions to vacate the first floor and lock all the entrances and stairwells."

"And how long until your next report?"

"Probably another twenty minutes."

"Okay, Sam, finish bandaging Herman, then secure him to that table and gag him. Eric, message Captain Washington, bring him up to speed." Eric started typing on his phone while Sam pulled Herman out of his chair.

"Hey, is this necessary?" asked Herman as Sam cuffed his hands behind the table leg. "I've been really helpful, haven't I? Can't you just let me go?"

"No, we can't let you go," said Daryl as Sam pulled out her medical tape.

"Seriously, if my mom hears about this she'll—" Sam wrapped the tape around Herman's mouth until he could only mumble in response.

"You're young," said Daryl. "You'll likely get a reduced sentence." The group headed outside and Daryl closed the door to the security room.

"What'd I miss?" asked Olivia.

"Daryl and Sam played good cop, bad cop," said Eric.

"Really?"

"Sorta," answered Daryl.

"A knife and a scary name go a long way," smirked Sam.

"Eric, any word from Captain Washington?" Daryl asked Eric.

"Yeah, hang on." Eric checked his phone. "Okay, Izuna is pissed at him and us, nothing new there. She's going to send a SWAT team inside in the next thirty minutes or so and wants us to stay in the security room."

"With the elevators still out it'll take them forever to get to the upper floors, and the longer this takes the more likely Irongate will realize what's happening," concluded Daryl.

"Whatta ya thinking?" asked Eric.

"Everyone, back to the elevators." The team started racing back the way they came.

"What's the plan?" asked Eric.

"We split up. I'll drop you and Sam on the twenty-eighth floor while Olivia and I head to thirty-three. We find the people holding hostages and subdue them."

"Weren't we ordered to stay in the security room?" asked Sam.

"I never actually saw that message," reasoned Daryl in a smug tone.

"And I may of misread it anyways. Too bad I don't have time to check," smiled Eric.

"Plausible deniability. This is starting to remind me of my Army days," mumbled Sam. "What about the lobby and the thirty-fifth floor?"

"The SWAT team can handle the lobby. Once we capture the men on twenty-eight and thirty-three, we'll regroup and rescue Mr. Tetra. Someone wouldn't have gone to this much trouble if they just wanted to kill him, but I hate to think what they are doing to him."

*   *   *

"I just don't think 'not abusing as many tax loopholes' is marketable," Nick told Irongate. "People expect giant companies to do shady things."

"What about the charity angle?" asked Irongate. "Surely you can push that. Tell people the money they spend on you also goes to a good cause."

"It's hard to make that a central selling point though. That's typically the kind of thing you tack on after the fact, like those breast cancer ribbons you see everywhere. I think promotional giveaways are more effective. People respond to free things and a good product generates good word of mouth."

"Good word of mouth for you, as well more market penetration. Duttin' help anyone but yourself though."

"Unless I did it as part of a cross-promotion with something else."

"Those'd be fairly isolated events. Not the kind of consistent change I'm lookin' for. What about some sort of rebranding instead? Just start from scratch?"

"I spent a lot of time and effort building up my company's name. I don't like the idea of destroying all that for the sake of rebranding, especially when I haven't been caught doing anything particularly unforgivable yet."

Irongate sighed. "Mr. Tetra, if we're gonna get anywhere, you're gonna have to concede something here."

"I understand that, but so far everything you've proposed wouldn't work for what you want. Straum, Dr. Burton, you agree right?" The two men just looked sheepishly at Irongate, then at Nick. "You see? They agree."

"They didn't say anything," noted Irongate.

"Exactly, they're too afraid to say anything because they agree with me instead of you," reasoned Nick. "Hernán, you're not afraid to say I'm right, right?"

Irongate glared at Nick's personal assistant. "Well?" he asked.

"Um... well... generally speaking—"

"A simple yes or no will do," dictated Irongate.

"Yes, I agree with Mr. Tetra," answered Hernán in one quick breath. "I don't think these proposals will yield your desired outcomes."

Irongate rubbed his head for a moment. "Perhaps we're goin' about this the wrong way. Instead of focusing on how to apply your current business in a way to better mankind, maybe we should be looking to your future with Asymmetric Applications," suggested Irongate as he turned to Dr. Burton, who trembled in fear at the sight of the man.

"Assuming I have a future," said Nick as he lit another cigarette.

*   *   *

The team moved out of the elevator shaft, prompting Sam and Eric to immediately check the nearby hallways.

"Stay alert. There are people trapped on this floor," whispered Daryl. "Contact me as soon as you catch your man. We'll regroup here as soon as possible and then head for the top floor." Daryl carried Olivia into the elevator shaft and out of sight while Sam pulled her taser.

"Let's go." The pair started moving through the offices as quietly as they could. They crept through the building, checking every opening carefully. It was dead quiet, and the pair made sure to move slowly so as to keep it that way. Reaching a corner, Sam removed a small mirror from her vest and surveyed the next hallway. After confirming there was no one in sight, she motioned for Eric to keep moving.

The pair continued through a series of office cubicles, seeing more signs of a panic with office supplies scattered across the ground and overturned chairs. Reaching an intersection bordering the cubicles, Sam employed her mirror again, then motioned for Eric to back up. The pair moved away from the intersection and back into the cubicles.

"One man, at the end of a long hallway," whispered Sam.

"How long?" asked Eric.

"Twenty feet, give or take."

"Did you see any other way around?"

"No."

Eric examined his surroundings. They were standing in an open office area connected to a narrow corridor that led to the intersection where the guard was stationed.

"Okay, I got a plan." Eric led Sam to a corner of the office. "Wait here, I'll lure him into the open."

"How are—" Eric shushed Sam, then ran back towards the corridor. Sam readied her taser, unsure what Eric's next move was.

"Mommy! Mommy where are you?" cried Eric in the most pathetic voice he could muster. "Mommy!" Listening carefully, Eric could hear footsteps of someone approaching.

The guard was walking slowly, trying to avoid detection, but Eric could still hear him. The boy waited until he heard those soft footsteps close in on the intersection, then bolted into the open office. Eric quickly moved to the corner opposite where Sam was hiding and took cover behind a desk.

"Mommy!" Eric's pursuer burst into the office and aimed his gun in the area where the boy hero was hiding. Sam fired at the man just as he was turning back in her direction. She held the trigger down, shocking the man for a few seconds before letting him fall onto the floor. Sam raced towards where the man had fallen, wasting no time cuffing the man's hands.

"He didn't buy it," mumbled Eric.

"Didn't buy what?" asked Sam.

"My lost kid act. He didn't buy it."

"He believed it enough not to call for help."

"Yeah, but when I was younger and I did that, crooks would always drop their guard. Now that my voice has changed it doesn't really work." Eric removed something from his pocket and pulled the man's legs together.

"What are you doing?" asked Sam.

"Tying this guy up." Eric looped a twist tie around the man's ankles and pulled it tight.

"With that?"

"Holds up to two-hundred pounds, cheaper and easier than handcuffs. By the way, the cops never give those back."

"Really? You're gonna have to tell me where you get those then. I just used my last pair of cuffs on this guy." Sam examined the gun the man was carrying.

"Another BB gun?"

"Nine millimeter." Sam briefly removed the magazine before replacing it. She flipped the safety on and tucked the gun into her belt.

"You're keeping it? I thought you didn't like guns."

"I don't. But it's better than leaving it with him. Besides, I might need it. I'm out of taser shots, so it's only useful as a melee weapon now."

"Really? You only used it twice."

"Three times. I used it when we were chasing Angie."

"That was a week ago. You haven't got any more since then?"

"I'm a crime fighter on a budget with no income at the moment. Cut me some slack." Sam rolled the stunned man over onto his stomach. He was considerably older and bigger than Herman. Searching the man, Sam found another magazine, a large knife, a couple of keys and another radio. "This guy definitely wasn't playing around."

"Irongate to twenty-eight. Begin evac procedure," crackled the radio.

"Evac? Shit, are we too late?" Sam asked Eric.

"Not if I can help it." Eric grabbed the keys. "Check on the hostages. I'll head for the thirty-fifth floor." Eric took off running.

"Daryl ordered us to wait here for him!" yelled Sam.

"Ordered you. I quit the team, remember?"

*   *   *

"Irongate to floor thirty-three. Begin evac procedure," said Irongate into his radio as he examined his watch.

"You're leaving?" asked Nick.

"I had always planned on taking my leave at a certain time, but we got about ten minutes before then." Irongate put his radio away. "Now, we were talking about what you could do with Asymmetric Applications."

"I can do tons with them. The whole reason I'm buying them is they're sitting on a mountain of scientific breakthroughs just waiting to happen. Long range resonant induction, high fidelity holograms, and they're making big strides towards creating a working teleporter," bragged Nick.

"Really?" Irongate asked Dr. Burton.

"Theoretically," spoke the nervous doctor. "We have hit a wall with the power requirements."

"Which is why your group was looking into cold fusion," said Nick.

"Well not cold fusion itself, the Fleischmann and Pons debacle mostly killed that, but we've been experimenting with new techniques to produce fusion reactions with a better energy output than what's currently known."

"All very interesting, but this just takes me back to my original point; I'm not comfortable with someone such as yourself dictating the availability of such technological marvels."

Nick groaned loudly. "Fine, I'll give them away."

*   *   *

Eric unlocked the door to the thirty-fifth floor and pocketed the keys he took from Sam. Swiftly but silently, he searched the area, checking every room he passed and methodically moving from one area to the next. Each time he expected to encounter Irongate, just waiting for his arrival. But each time it was just more empty offices.

Eric burst into a break room, anticipating a squad of Neo-Confederates ready for a fight, but only found people's half-eaten meals and a couple of spills that needed cleaning up. The boy headed for the exit when his phone started buzzing. He hastily reached into his pocket and turned it off, then listened closely for any movement. Confident no one had heard him, Eric resumed his sweep of the area.

Darting from one empty office to another, Eric suddenly heard someone speaking softly in the distance. He wasn't sure what was being said, but he was fairly certain which office the noise was coming from. The swift young hero carefully approached the door, readying himself for the fight of his life. Gently he grasped the doorknob, then flung the door open and charged forward, leaping onto a desk and terrifying whoever was sitting at it.

"What the hell do you want?" exclaimed a woman.

"Keep your voice down," warned Eric.

"What do you want?" she asked quietly.

"I'm trying to find Nick Tetra," informed Eric.

"Are you with that guy in gray?"

"No, I'm Kid Astounding, and I'm here to stop him."

"I've heard of you. You're that boy superhero."

"Yeah, tell me what happened."

"Okay, I was just sitting here when somebody in the next office started shooting a gun. I screamed, and this guy in a gray uniform barged into my office. He said he'd kill me if I made any more noise.

"Then he leaves, and I hear other people running around for a while. I just stayed here, too afraid to move. Eventually, when things started to quiet down, I left my office. I tried the stairs, but the door was locked. Then I went to the elevators but they didn't work. So I came back here and tried to call someone, but the phones—"

"I get the idea. Do you know where Nick Tetra's office is?"

"Um, let me think. Is he that crabby older guy? The one who always smells like cigarettes?"

"Wears an expensive suit and acts like he owns the place?" added Eric.

"Yeah!"

"That's Nick."

"God, I hate him. He moved into this floor like a month ago. He's been nothing but a pain in the ass and—"

"I know, believe me, but right now I need to know where his office is."

"Right, sorry. Okay, um, he's in the big office at the very back. Just take a right out of my office and follow the hall all the way to the end."

"Okay, stay out of sight." Eric headed to the door.

"Wait!"

"What?"

"I just remembered, he went to a meeting today."

"Where?"

"Let's see, follow the same hall, take the second right you see, and follow that to the end. He always in the big boardroom with the great view."

"Got it." Eric turned for the door.

"Wait!"

"What!"

"Could you check the office next to mine?" spoke the woman, suddenly sounding very concerned. "I meant to earlier, but..."

"I'll handle it." Eric left the woman's office and moved towards the adjacent door. Stepping inside, he found a splatter of fresh blood staining the back wall of the wrecked office. Reluctantly the boy looked behind the desk, where he discovered an overturned chair and another blood stain on the floor. As Eric leaned in to check under the desk, a powerful hand landed on the boy's shoulder. He spun around in a flash, broke his attacker's grip and pulled his fists back.

"It's me!" informed Sam.

"What are you doing here? I thought you were going to check on the hostages?"

"I did. Thanks for stealing those keys by the way, I had to pry the door open with a..." Sam stopped speaking and looked closely behind the desk in front of Eric. "Jesus, what happened?" Eric marched out of the office.

"Wait." Sam chased after Eric. "Daryl wants us to wait for him by the elevators."

"Then go wait for him if you want," suggested Eric.

"Where are you going?"

"To stop Irongate." Eric looked back at Sam. "Coming?"

*   *   *

"You heard me. I will release my ownership of every patent I acquire from Asymmetric Applications," said Nick.

"That wasn't part of our agreement!" argued Dr. Burton.

"Quiet. The adults are talking," dictated Nick. "I won't be the owner of Asymmetric Applications's inventions, everyone will."

"That'd be a start, but you're only acting passively," noted Irongate.

"Okay, how about this? Instead of giving away the rights to Asymmetric Applications's inventions, I give away the actual inventions."

Irongate raised an eyebrow. "I'm listenin."

"I'll use TetraStan's finances and Asymmetric Applications's research to create a nonprofit organization that works for the common good. My very own charity that creates new technologies for the public."

"You're serious?" asked Irongate.

"Very. I'll set up a grant program to attract people to the organization's cause and offer rewards to other charities and companies that contribute."

"You can't be serious," groused Straum.

"Shut up Straum. I told you earlier that this is my company. I was already sinking nearly half a billion into a debt-ridden research group. What's a little more for something else worthwhile? Besides, it's a relatively small price to pay for my life."

"And you're confident you can accomplish all this?" asked Irongate.

"I'm confident I can accomplish anything. I've already got a name and motto picked out. Future Proof: Creating solutions that last for generations. I'm working out the press release in my head as we speak," assured Nick.

"And I have your word that you'll do everything you've proposed here today?"

"As Hernán, these idiots, and to a lesser extent, God, as my witnesses." Nick stretched out his hand towards Irongate, who remained still with an unsure look on his face. He examined Nick, who was wearing a fairly smug smile, then moved his hand towards the businessman, only to pull it back.

"No, this is too good to be true," realized Irongate. "You been whistling Dixie ever since I gave the evac order, just telling me what I want to hear."

"Of course I am you fucking idiot," said Nick in an oddly cheerful tone. Irongate groaned loudly while a familiar glower returned to Nick's face.

"Like I said, you're insane. How the hell did you plan to actually hold me to anything I said today?"

"And here I was thinking there might be a shred of decency in you," growled Irongate. "Guess I was wrong."

"What's wrong is you thinking you can just force some massive change with a holdup. I didn't build this company overnight by robbing a bank and you weren't changing shit today."

"Oh, you're dead wrong about that. I planned to make an example of you." Irongate drew his gun "And I will, one way or another."

"You think killing me is going scare borderline sociopathic CEOs into being altruistic? You're just convincing them to hire more security."

"One high-profile assassination may not be enough to sway nefarious minds. However, I don't plan to stop at one." Nick started laughing. "You finding this funny?"

"You can kill as many corporate leaders as you want. There will always be a dozen more greedy pricks literally dying to take their places, like this asshole." Nick pointed to Straum. "Not that it matters if you kill me. You'll have so many people out for your blood you won't be able to poke your head out without someone trying to lop it off," chuckled Nick.

"For someone so cynical you seem to have an abnormal amount of faith in the police and the government."

"I don't have faith in anything but human greed. That's why I set aside fifty-million dollars as a bounty in the event of my murder."

Irongate raised an eyebrow. "You're lyin'," he accused.

"He's not, actually," interjected Hernán. "In fact, it's not even the craziest thing he's asked me to add to his will. Although, it was certainly the hardest to transcribe in a legally binding manner."

"Certainly hope those two goons you came in here with are loyal because you're going to have a hard enough time getting around without constantly worrying about being stabbed in the back as well." Nick flashed a devious smile at Irongate. "Of course, that's assuming the Order doesn't just put out a hit on you themselves."

"Order?" asked Irongate.

"The not entirely secret superhero agency. Assuming you're not torn to shreds on your way out of here, you'll have escaped from an actual team of superheroes who failed to protect the person who sponsored them. Basically, a huge embarrassment to the superhero community. You know, the kind of embarrassment they'll want eliminated."

"Is that supposed to scare me? Your 'superhero' team couldn't save you today."

"No kidding, but the Order doesn't use failures like them for things they consider important. I'm not privy to how they handle these situations, but from my limited understanding, the capes they send out to buddy up with cops are mostly for good PR. The rest of their organization functions more like covert special forces, quietly getting rid of problems in a swift and orderly fashion."

"Enough!" growled Irongate. "I'm sick of listening to you!"

"You're the one who wanted a conversation. Not my fault you don't think anything through. Speaking of which, you shouldn't have broadcasted when you were leaving, dumbass."

Irongate gritted his teeth as he raised his pistol. "Any final words?" Nick tried to think of anything to say that might stop Irongate from pulling that trigger, but nothing came to mind. "I guess words fail you, Mr. Tetra."

Nick forced his eyes shut just in time to hear a loud click. He expected a gunshot to follow, but there wasn't one. Slowly opening his eyes, he noticed Irongate was looking at the door.

"Robert? Jackson?" Irongate slowly pulled his radio from his belt with his free hand.

"What's going on?" Nick whispered to Hernán.

"I think there's someone at—" The door burst open and G.I. Genocide and Kid Astounding barged into the room. Everyone ran for their lives as Irongate leapt across the table. He grabbed Nick before he could flee and forced the man into a headlock.

"Stay back or he dies!" Irongate planted his gun against the businessman's forehead. "Evac, prepare for forcible extraction!" Irongate dropped his radio and tightened his hold on Nick.

"Kill him and there's nothing standing between you and us!" warned Sam as she aimed her gun at Irongate and Nick.

"Shoot him!" choked Nick as Irongate used him as a human shield.

"Last warning. Lower the gun and back away before I try my luck and see how many shots I can get off before you pull that trigger." Irongate jammed his gun into Nick's face and tightened his grip on the trigger.

"Okay." Sam lowered her gun.

"Throw it away! Right now!" Irongate forced the barrels of his gun into Nick's cheek, causing Nick to grimace in pain. "Last warning!" Sam flicked her gun's safety on and reluctantly tossed the gun out of the room.

"You might as well give up. You've got nowhere to go," said Sam.

"Then I'll just get comfortable standing right here." Irongate pointed his gun at Eric, who was trying to inch in closer from his left. "That's enough! Back off!"

Eric watched as Irongate's hand began to tremble. Very slowly, Irongate aimed away from Eric and towards the windows, seemingly grunting in pain as he did. Eric looked at the windows and saw Daryl floating outside, trying to wrest Irongate's gun away with his power.

Noticing what Eric was looking at, Irongate stopped resisting the force pulling on his gun, allowing his arm to swing around far enough so that he was aiming at Daryl. Irongate fired and felt Daryl's grip on him disappear as the man fell out of sight.

The man then swung around to shoot Eric, but a throwing knife struck his arm. Eric used Sam's attack to his advantage and planted his foot on Irongate's face before he could recover. The man stumbled backwards while his gun and Nick fell to the floor.

Eric swung his fist at Irongate, but the man caught his arm mid-blow. Eric then tried to kick Irongate's face, but the man grabbed his leg mid-swing and threw the boy across the boardroom table.

Sam charged at Irongate with her knife, cutting his side as he dodged out of the way. Sam blocked a punch only to get kicked in the chest, knocking her backwards onto the ground. Irongate then scooped his gun off the floor, took aim at a still stunned Nick and fired, only to shoot Sam in the chest as she darted in front of Nick.

Before Irongate could shoot again, Eric kicked his gun away and drove his fist into Irongate's stomach, who staggered away in pain. Eric tried to charge, but Irongate swung a knife at the boy's head, forcing him backwards and into a defensive stance.

"What the hell are you? Some sort of child soldier?" Before Eric could answer a mechanical whirring came into earshot. It quickly grew louder as a large helicopter flew near the boardroom windows. "About damn time." Eric watched as the helicopter pivoted in place, revealing someone inside it, who was holding a rifle.

"Everyone take cover!" ordered Eric as he dove under the boardroom table. A wounded Sam pulled Nick onto the ground as the helicopter's shooter started firing into the building. The deafening sound of rifle shots and glass shattering filled the office. Irongate scanned the area as bullets tore through the boardroom, sending bits of wood flying into the air like confetti.

As the gunfire stopped, Irongate moved to retrieve his pistol, but suddenly was knocked backwards as the nearby wall exploded. He looked up in disbelief as a small young woman wearing black emerged from the dust that used to be a wall a few seconds ago.

She grasped Irongate's arm as he tried to stand up, prompting Irongate to swing his free hand at the young woman. She caught his arm, and Irongate found himself shocked that someone half his size was overpowering him. The woman leaned in close as she forced Irongate to his knees. Irongate responded by smashing his forehead into her face.

The woman reeled back as Irongate struggled to his feet. He looked out at the helicopter and noticed his comrade had finished reloading and was ready to fire, only to be tackled by a flying man in a cape. The flying man carried his comrade out of the helicopter, through the broken windows, and into the boardroom where they crashed into the table.

Sensing an opportunity to escape, Irongate sprinted across the boardroom and leapt right out the window. He soared through the air and collided with the chopper's landing skid. He barely managed to grip the metal and had to use every ounce of strength he had to pull himself into the cabin before the vehicle veered away from the skyscraper.

Daryl tried to stand up, only to immediately be jabbed in the stomach by someone's fist. He fell to the ground, gasping for air as the man he had taken from the helicopter was standing right above him, pulling a knife from his belt.

The man pulled his hand back, ready to strike, then Sam drove her taser into his neck. The man collapsed onto the floor and Sam knelt down to shock him again for good measure. Daryl caught his breath and cuffed the man's hands behind his back, then looked over at Sam, who was clutching her chest in pain.

"Sam? What's wrong?"

"I was shot." Daryl helped Sam off the floor and onto the table. "Help me get this off." Daryl removed Sam's vest, revealing the body armor she was wearing underneath. "I don't think it went through, I think he just knocked the wind out of me," she said in a weak voice.

"What happened?" asked Eric as he ran back into the room.

"Where were you?" asked a frustrated Daryl.

"I told him to get Tetra out of the room," mumbled Sam as she removed her body armor. "When they were shooting up the area."

"Where's Irongate?" asked Eric.

"I don't know," answered Daryl.

"He got away." Olivia staggered over to the group, blood running out of her nose and down her face. "I saw him jump onto the helicopter before it flew off."

"Dammit!" Eric pounded his fist on the table.

"What were you thinking running off like that?" Daryl asked Eric.

"I had to find Irongate before he escaped. I didn't have time to wait on you. I had a whole floor to search."

"I know where Nick holds his meetings. I had it planned out where all four of us would storm the room before he knew what hit him," explained Daryl, raising his voice.

"How was I supposed to know about your plan?"

"I was trying to call you to tell you, but you wouldn't answer!"

"There was no time, I don't take orders from you anyway!"

"Dammit Eric, grow up!"

"Hey," called Sam in a weak voice. "I think I need to go to the hospital." Daryl spun around and looked at Sam, spotting a bloody and bruised mark on her abdomen. "I think some of my ribs are broken."

"I'll fly you down and get you some medical assistance." Daryl helped Sam to her feet and moved towards the window. "Olivia, come on. We can get you checked out as well. And we'll turn him over to the police."

Daryl motioned to the handcuffed man on the floor. Olivia pulled the cuffed man off the floor and Daryl groaned a little as he stretched his arm out to take hold of Olivia. A tear in his jacket revealed a small wound on his right arm. Eric looked at his wounded teammates and grimaced.

"Are you okay?" asked Olivia.

"I got nicked when I was outside the window, but I'll be alright. Just hold on tight." Daryl turned to Eric. "Stay right here." Daryl carried Sam, Olivia and the shooter past the window and out of sight. Now alone, Eric kicked over a chair in frustration, then sat down at the ruined desk.

"Is it over?" Eric turned to find Nick nervously peering into the room.

"Yeah, it's over."

"Thank God!" Nick marched back into the room and collected what remained of his cigarettes from the desk. "What a mess. I can't imagine how many work comp claims this will create." Nick retrieved his lighter and walked over to Eric. "What happened to that Irongate asshole?"

"He got away." Eric lowered his head in shame.

"What? How?"

"He leapt onto the helicopter."

"Now when you say onto, does that mean the helicopter blades?"

"No."

"Pity." Nick sat down near Eric. "Flinging himself at a helicopter and being diced into pieces would have been a fitting end for that moron." Nick lit his cigarette. "So, I guess this means I'll have to hire you back onto the team." Nick took a drag off the cigarette, then exhaled a small cloud of smoke. "And your little girlfriend can be on the team too."

"What made you change your mind?" mumbled Eric.

"The fact it took all four of you idiots to save my ass."

Eric just laid his head on the desk. "I'm not coming back to the team."

"You're still not angry from earlier, are you? Trust me, grudges do you more harm than whoever you hold them against."

"Daryl won't take me back."

"Why not?"

"It was my fault Irongate got away."

"I'll put you on reduced pay for a while. Feel better?"

"Sir!" called Hernán as he ran into the room. "Sir, are you okay?"

"I've got rug burn, my ears are still ringing from gunfire, and I think there's broken glass in my hair. So not really."

"Glad to see you're well enough to complain, sir," quipped Hernán.

"Everyone else still in one piece?" asked Nick.

"Yes sir. They're all taking shelter in your office."

"Good, let's reschedule to finish the deal somewhere safer. And while we're on the subject, find out who is in charge of security of this building and have them fired."

"You don't own this building sir."

"Right, threaten to sue whoever does own the building if they don't fire whoever is in charge. Also, is there any way we can actually amend my will to place a bounty on someone if they killed me? Because after today, I'm thinking it might be a good idea to make that more than a bluff."

"Probably not literally as a bounty, but I might be able to find a way to leave funds as part of a trust or something similar," suggested Hernán.

"Good man." Nick stood up and stretched. "Well, I'm going to lie down in my office until the cops get here. Come on Hernán, I want you to see Straum's face when I tell him my wasteful spending just saved everyone's lives today." Nick and Hernán headed for the exit.

"Oh, and Eric." Eric looked up. "Mistakes happen. The important thing is how you deal with them, especially your own."

Eric watched Nick leave, then laid his head back on the desk. He waited there, stirring in his seat, dreading what Daryl was going to say. He clenched his fists and started grinding his teeth in frustration, then felt his stomach sink as he heard something approach from the window. Eric looked up from the desk and saw Daryl standing in front of him.

"Well, what happened?" he asked, making no effort to hide his irritation. "Explain to me why you went off on your own."

"I... I..." Eric suddenly found it hard to breathe.

"Eric!"

"I'm sorry!" Eric buried his head in his arms, hiding the tears welling up in his eyes. "I screwed up! Okay? I thought I could take him and I couldn't and he got away!" Eric looked up at Daryl. "Because of me!" Daryl stood there, stunned as he watched Eric try his hardest not to cry.

"Eric..."

"If I was just a little bigger or stronger, I could of stopped him. But I'm still just a dumb kid who can't do anything right!"

Daryl sighed, then sat down next to the boy. "You made a mistake. But you're not a dumb kid."

"Irongate wouldn't of gotten away if I hadn't messed up your plan."

"We don't know that for sure."

"You're just trying to make me feel better. This was a disaster."

"Maybe, but you blaming yourself for this doesn't help, so I feel like I should try to even you out a bit," smirked Daryl. "As for today, we defused a high-risk hostage situation without any causalities and caught four bad guys. Between them, the ones SWAT caught and the police following Irongate's helicopter, we did okay."

Eric wiped his face with his sleeve. "Are Sam and Olivia okay?"

"Olivia's got a busted nose, but otherwise she's fine. Sam's vest stopped the bullet and she told me she's survived worse."

"What about you?" asked Eric as he noticed Daryl's bandaged arm.

"Just a graze. Medic said I was incredibly lucky it wasn't any worse." Daryl placed his hand on Eric's shoulder. "You're not on your own anymore. If we're going to keep working together, we need to be able to trust each other. Get it?"

"Yeah, I do." Eric looked at Daryl. "I'm sorry I ran off like that."

"We got lucky this time. Next time we might not. Understand?"

"Yeah, I understand."

"I'm sorry I yelled." Daryl let go of Eric. "Do you feel well enough to keep working? Washington says we can help the police finish securing the building and evacuate the remaining civilians."

"You don't have to stay with me. I can mop up while you rest."

"I want to stay with you. It gives me an excuse to avoid Izuna for a few hours. Hopefully she'll have her blood pressure under control by then."

Eric let out a small laugh. "Okay. Let's go."

"But before we get started, I need you to do something."

"What?" asked Eric, eager to redeem himself in Daryl's eyes.

"Call your dad. He's got to be worried sick about you by now."

"Oh." Eric fished his phone out of his pocket and tried to dial, then sighed when he remembered he had turned it off.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

135K 7K 37
**A Wattpad Featured Story** Kenna Jones isn't a Superhero, and she wants to keep it that way. Though her brother, Sebastien, is a star member of the...
1.1K 139 29
It's no secret that some people use their unique gifts to do good, and some use them to do evil. Your classic heroes and villains, if you will. But w...
254K 12.7K 34
When you're a teenage undercover as a part-time superhero you have three options: You can pull on the nerd/geek high schooler or a bad boy/outcast ty...
333K 28.2K 35
[THIS IS AN OLD DRAFT. Please read the rewrite that is currently up on my profile] ............ "Look, man, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to rob the...