Cupidity (Sequel to Cupid's D...

Av Megan_JS

After the Senior Year from hell, Isabelle Conway's life seems to be coming together. Finally. Scholarship to... Mer

Chapter One~ Caterpillars on Fleek
Chapter 2~ Ghost of JC's Past
Chapter 3~ The Girl from that Article Thingo
Chapter 4~ The Offer
Chapter 5~ I'll Take My Secret to the Grave and You With Me
Chapter 6~ No Turning Back Now. Literally.
Chapter 7~ Face the Consequences... Or Don't. Whatever.
Chapter 8~ LA Baby
Chapter 9~ Unexpected.
Chapter 10~ The Mile Cry Club
Chapter 11~ I Am the Coffee Girl, At Your Service
Chapter 12~ Why Do I Feel So Guilty if I'm Innocent?
Chapter 13~ I'm Not A Celebrity Don't Get Me Out of Here.
Chapter 14~ Just Like Cinderella.
Chapter 15~ Miracle on Starbucks Street
Chapter 16~ Iced Skinny Hazelnut Macchiato Sugar-Free on Soy
Chapter 17~ Jumping Ship but About to Sink
Chapter 18~ Not Enough.
Chapter 20~ Home is Wherever You Aren't.
Chapter 21~ My Ex-Boyfriend's Best Friend's Mom Has Got It Going On
Chapter 22~ A Big, Fat, Sticky Label for Us
Chapter 23~ Sunday December 4, 7:34pm
Chapter 24~All Things Must Come to An End
Chapter 25~ The Bitch is Back
Chapter 26~ Do I have a Target on My Back Reading 'Drop Bombshells Here'?
Chapter 27~ Apparently I'm a Guy Magnet Now.
Chapter 28~ Crossroads.
Chapter 29~ I Kind of Got My Happily Ever After
Epilogue

Chapter 19~ 200 Cupcakes and 1000 More Tears

1.4K 89 10
Av Megan_JS

"Hey beautiful, any plans for tonight?" Ethan asked as I shoved the last of my filing-- well, at least, the last of that pile of filing-- back into the cabinet.

"Not really." I admitted, running a hand through my loose, unkempt hair. "Probably just staying in bed with plenty of ice-cream, chocolates and DVDs." After my conversation with Noah last night I'd been unable to fall asleep again, and all I wanted to do was get through this day so I could hibernate in my bed and wallow in my own misery. Ethan had found me laying in a puddle of my own tears when he'd woken up this morning, and he'd all but threatened me into telling him what was wrong.

"Oh really?" Ethan asked me as he closed the door of my office behind him. "You really think I'm going to let you have a pity party tonight?"

I sighed. I had a feeling he'd say that. "I mean, I was hoping you would."

Ethan rolled his eyes and pulled his phone from his pocket, scrolling through something that I couldn't see. "How about an actual party instead?" He questioned with a smirk, continuing to tap away on his phone.

"I don't know, Ethan. After what happened last night I--"

"--Need a distraction. And some fun." Ethan cut me off, finally looking up from the screen. "Look, break ups suck, I get it, but you can't just stop living."

Hearing someone else state the idea that my relationship with Noah was over only made me feel more depressed, and I slunk down into my chair miserably. I wanted to cry and yell and scream all at once, but the only socially acceptable thing I could do at the moment was frown. "When did you become such a smart alec." I muttered under my breath, crossing my arms.

Ethan chuckled. "What if I told you the party tonight is my birthday party?"

I dropped my pen on the table and looked up at Ethan, suddenly forgetting my woes. "It's your birthday today? Why didn't you tell me, idiot!"

Ethan raised his hands in surrender, a smile curling on his lips. "It never came up. Now please, to make up for not wishing me a happy birthday, will you come to the party tonight?"

Ice-cream, DVDs and heartbreak would just have to wait. I rolled my eyes. "Of course I will, you doofus, I wouldn't miss it for the world. Happy birthday Ethan."

He grinned and thanked me just as Tina yelled out for another coffee run. I pushed the chair out from behind the desk and stood up, giving Ethan a salute as he opened the door for me. "Duty calls." I murmured, rushing to each office to take orders.

Fifteen minutes later I returned with fifteen coffees, all from Kerri's now instead of Starbucks since it gave her more business and I got an employee discount, and two-hundred red velvet cupcakes from a little bakery Google maps had helped me locate a few blocks away.

I pushed open the door to the conference room where I knew Ethan would be, balancing the tray of cupcakes in one hand. Each cupcake held a single lit candle. Sure, it was a little lame, but it was the best I could do on short notice.

I plastered a fake smile onto my face and stared down at the cakes, being careful not to drop any as I started to sing. "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Eth-- oh."

I stopped singing immediately. The conference room was filled with at least twenty businessmen, who were each equipped with eyeglasses, briefcases and notepads. A man who was giving some sort of presentation to the group turned to stare at me, and everyone sat around the table followed soon after. There was a silence as my cheeks flamed red, and I stood shocked like a dear in the headlights.

Mr Manolis gave me an unreadable look.

I glanced over at Ethan, who was covering his mouth with one hand in an attempt not to laugh. I felt my face grow hotter as everyone continued to stare at me.

"I'll just... uh... leave these here." I mumbled embarrassedly, popping half of the cupcakes on the table and practically throwing myself out of the door.

I spun to my left and ran, making it about ten steps before I collapsed against the wall. I curled my knees into my chest and buried my face in my hands, not even caring that my skirt had shifted and I was probably flashing everyone.

Why couldn't I go a single day without embarrassing myself or messing something up?

I felt movement beside me, and someone landed on the floor beside me.

"Please... not now... Ethan." I said in between sobs, not in the mood for someone to try and cheer me up.

"Whilst we are both shockingly handsome, it's not Ethan, my dear."

I looked up and gasped, wiping my nose and eyes on my sleeve. "Mr. Manolis?"

Mr. Manolis smiled warmly and squeezed my shoulder gently. He stared out of the window for a moment, his eyes wandering. "Am I correct in assuming that these tears aren't about the cupcakes?"

I tried to laugh, but it just came out as a pathetic, croaky sound. "That would be correct, yes. But I am sorry, I shouldn't have barged in like that."

Mr. Manolis' mouth twitched, as if fighting a smile. "I've been interrupted for lesser reason than someone being kind to my son. And besides, they're all in there enjoying your cakes right now."

I crossed my legs out in front of me and sighed, not sure what to say.

"Ethan told me that you moved in with him." Mr. Manolis said conversationally, continuing to stare out of the window.

Once again, I was reminded of how much I owed this man-- of everything he'd done for me. "I did, a few days ago. Thank you, by the way, for allowing me to live in your home for such a good price."

"What?" Mr. Manolis looked genuinely surprised at my sentiment, finally turning away from the window to look at me.

"Your apartment that Ethan lives in? Thank you for allowing me to stay with him." I repeated, hoping I'd clarified a little better.

Mr. Manolis shook his head in amusement. "Oh no dear, the apartment belongs to Ethan alone. His mother and I have done everything in our power to ensure that nothing is handed to him on a silver platter. Everything he owns he has bought himself, and everything he has become he has built by himself. He was in your shoes not that long ago, you know."

"How do you mean?"

"I gave him only an internship with my company, much as I have given you. He worked his way up to becoming managing editor from the bottom. Had there been anyone better than him for the job, they would have been hired. I do not care much for celebrity status, Isabelle. People must earn their title here."

I blinked, and my admiration of both Mr. Manolis and Ethan grew by 100% in an instant.

"I did, however," Mr. Manolis continued, "give him that internship as a leg up. The people we love are important, and the ones who return that love are even more important."

Mr. Manolis gave me a sly wink, and suddenly I knew that we weren't talking so much about him and Ethan anymore.

"Ethan told you about Noah and I." I stated glumly, feeling my cheeks heat up in embarrassment.

Mr. Manolis shook his head. "I overheard him telling Tina to go easy on you as you were going through a tough time at the moment. I wasn't aware that it regarded you and Noah."

I didn't reply for a moment, not sure how to. It wasn't everyday you talked about relationship drama with your boss and roommate's father.

"Perhaps you should make a trip home this weekend." Mr. Manolis suggested. "Being with your family often tends to make things clearer."

I considered this for a moment. Could I really go back to Connecticut for the weekend? I had just enough saved to pay for the flights, and seeing my dad and Sam again sounded like a dream come true.

"You know what, Mr. Manolis? I think a couple of days back in Connecticut is exactly what I need."

Fortsett å les

You'll Also Like

13.7K 384 53
WARNING: THIS BOOK IS IN NEED OF EDITING. READ ABOUT CLICHE EVENTS AND EXPERIENCE PLOT HOLES AT YOUR OWN RISK "The kiss that started everything yeste...
193 3 14
What Clarissa didn't expect in her life was to find her home open to multiple criminals. Her parents playing saviour to juvenile delinquents meant he...
2.1M 61.5K 56
''There is only one thing crossing my mind right now. If he hates me so much, then why the hell is he kissing me back?'' ----------------------- Emma...
Dear Cupid Av Ari

Ungdomsfiksjon

266K 9.2K 27
"DREW!" I shouted at the top of my lungs as I sprinted through the crowd of many passerbys walking through the streets of New York. I could see him i...