The Flower of King and Knights

By senseiseth

The Age of Arthur is over, for fifteen years the lands of Britannia have been subjected to wars, raids, and t... More

Disclaimer
A Foul Air Rising
Forged in Blood
Bloodlines
The Return Home
Ghosts of the Past
The Demon Returns
The Dead City
The Black Site
The Quest for Excalibur
The Isle of Avalon
The Ride of Sir Kay and Bedivere
The First Quest
Caliburn's Wrath
Rescue in the Dark
The Finer Points of Kingship
New Allies
The Arrival of the Faeire King
The Return of the Nordic Plague
The Sheathed Discovery
The Once and Future King
The Pieces Are Set
The Battle of the Three Kings
The Soul's Reprieve
THe Quest of Sir Bedivere and Sir Llewiquin
The Holy Demon
The Dull Feast
The Black Knight
The Feast's End
The Table Reunited
Old Scars
The Rise of Lady Catelin
The Tale of Sir Ulrich
End of the Old Ways
The King's Wrath
The Melee
Cool Down
The Proposition
A Moment of Reflection
Birth of the Traitor
Battle of Lord's Crossing
The Bloodied Soul
The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. I
The Second Battle of Camlann, Pt. II
The Duel of Destiny
Appendix I
Appendix II: Family Tree
An Update

The Questing Beast

27.8K 40 4
By senseiseth

The woman was scared as she pressed herself against the tree. “Please, please don’t killed me,” she pleaded as the tears rolled down her dirt covered cheeks.

“Ah sorry lass,” said one man, “But you’ve seen our faces, and we can’t have you going around threatening our living arrangements.” He stood next to several men with arrows ready on their bows, all aimed at her.

“Please, you’ve killed my husband and sons, jut spare me, please!” she pleaded.

“Well, you see, we know that someone kill you will just come back and get your little revenge on us. Come on, we’re not that dumb as you think.”

He turned to the other and with one hand gesture, ordered the arches to let loose their missiles. She gave a quick scream before the arrows hit their mark. One man went to see what trinkets she had when a wolf jumped out and bit his hand.

“Jesus Christ, where did that thing come from?” he cried out.

“Well don’t pet the damn thing, kill it.”

The man grabbed his bow and readied a bow, aiming it at the wolf, when he thought he heard a soft menacing cry come over his shoulder. He returned his attention to the wolf, now roaring and barking. He pulled back the arrow again when he heard the cry become a roar, it sounded human but there was something demonic about its sound.

It grew loud enough for him to notice the sound of horse hooves. He turned, screaming as a reddish blade cleaved into his head. The other men turned to find a horseman lifting the man into the air with the force of the strike. The wolf looked at the man with great curiosity. “What in the name of God!” cried one bandit.

“You’ll be needing more than him when I’m done with you, you fucking bastards! Now prepare to meet the king’s justice firsthand!” the horsemen said before charging the bandits. One pulled back on his bow when the wolf tackled him to the ground, ripping out his throat. Another bandit took aim at the rider, noticed the wolf, and then felt the icy touch of the rider’s blade slice his head in half.

The third bandit unsheathed his sword, the rider dismounting and meeting the man on foot. The two traded heavy blows, as the last bandit crept up to stab the rider in the back. Before he could strike, a red wraith jumped out of the sword and screamed with such force, the man’s temples bleed, causing him to fall to the ground dead.

The rider then with such fury in his heart, struck the murder down upon his head, cutting all the way through his body. He turned to find the leader riding away on a horse, the rider quickly mounting and beginning his pursuit. Within a short distance, the bandit leader was pulled off his horse and then flung in every direction by a creature unknown to the rider.

The beast’s body was made of many parts, its head was that of a snake, the body of a leopard, the ass of a lion, and the feet of a deer. The bandit screamed as the creature tore him to pieces. The rider simply watching, then as he recovered his senses, dismounted and smacked the horse so it could flee away from the coming fight.

The creature turned to the rider, noticing his sword unsheathed and ready for combat. With one leg the creature wiped the blood from its face, and then bowed to the man. As it rised its head it began to speak, “Lord Ector Pendragon, son of Arthur Pendragon, I presume.”

“You must be the Questing Beast,… I presume also,” Ector replied.

The Questing Beast laughed, “Yes, I am the one and only beast.”

“…So when did you start talking, I never heard anyone saying you were that much of a conversationalist?”

“I tend to try to maintain my privacy, and talking usually prevents that from happening.”

“Ah, I see.”

“But my lord Oberon has sent me here to see how you fared after your encounter with the giants. He sends his thanks for the rescue of his sister-daughter.”

“Really? I thought that’s why Llewiquin came to my court?”

The Beast chuckled again, “He came for his love for you as a brother. He spoke well of you saving his life, and then swore to your prowess in the cave.”

“Well I have to give much of that to Grendel, he saved from one of them.”

“Oh never you mind that, we have him in our court as a guest of high honor. He too spoke highly of your skills. You would make your father proud.”

Ector smiled lightly, “So what role does Oberon have you doing anyway. I doubt you go on long bout of running in the forest for nothing less the thrill of it?”

“Correct good king, I am the royal emissary with the natural world of these lands, all the creatures and wildlife answers to the great king through me. That wolf you see is a guardian charged with protecting this area. He was hunting these men and requested my aid in completing this task.”

“Oh, well thank you for the assistance, I and my retinue were charged with hunting these men down as well. Though now that I think about it, your position certainly make the hunting you thing become a potential problem in the diplomatic front, doesn’t it?”

“It does have its potential for lethal consequences, but I know these forests since they were first planted. No hunter can catch me.”

“Well then, fare thee well, Questing Beast.”

“And fare you well, King Ector.”

“A quick question though. DO you have a name outside of ‘questing beast’?”

“It’s Alexander,” the beast replied.

“…Uh, never would’ve thought of that. But good day to you nonetheless.”

The beast quickly bolted off into the forest as Ector noticed his men were catching up to him. He could hear the faint yelling of Sir Kay cursing him for again breaking off with the group. Ector chuckled as he mounted his horse and rejoined his party.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

522K 15.1K 129
When Merlin ventured back to Ealdor to help fight off Kanen, he returned to Camelot with someone else, his little sister, Miriam. With a fiery perso...
1.3K 178 22
|LONG LISTED IN THE OPEN NOVELLA CONTEST 2022| Blood. Peace. Betrayal. And Death comes knocking on Camelot, Londinium, and England's front door. A...
215K 2.8K 22
The King's Journey continues on in Another World (Book) For you shall see only but a dream... a dream one would have wished were to have come true...
4.9K 344 200
(Inspired by the hit BBC show Merlin) One thousand years have passed since humanity fell. From its ashes, the Faultless Kingdom rose. For many centur...