The Explorer's Apprentice

By walkingsunshine

On an expedition to the famous wreck of 'Titanic', 16-year-old Marley Faulkner discovers a mysterious journal... More

Prologue
1: Years an Years After
2:Knives
3: Belle
4: Her Journal
5:The Girl in the Rainbow Sweater
6:Rose
7: Ship of Dreams
8:Dear Friend
9: Freedom
10:Years and Years Before
11:A Lovely Dream, Isn't It?
12: Alone
13: Jamie
14:Charlotte's Secret
15:Eli
16:The Lovely Wedding
17:Paper Cranes
18:Strange Isabelle
19: Invitation
20:A Whole New World
21:A Brush With Death and an Invitiation to Dinner
22:Abby's Regrets
23:Two of a Kind
24:You Wouldna' Jumped
26:A Rather Peculiar Lesson
27:Eleanor Brown Breaks the Rules
28:A Slight Quiver of Hope
29:To Making it Count
30:Something Beautiful
31:Abby Gets to Dance
32:And so...the Dangerous Revolution Begins....
33:Eleanor Opens a Resturaunt
34:Belle Witnesses a Secret
35:Grandmother's Advice
36:Abby's Argument
37:Little White Lies
38:Working For Mr.Mason
38 1/2:Being Strange
39:The Thing About Class....
40:Eleanor Brown Gives Advice
41:Max
42:Reason Number One
43:The Rich...the Poor...& Those Who Can't Tell the Difference
44:Abby's Views on Love
45:My Flying Machine
46: Words That Kill
47:Inhale....Exhale....
48:Only This
49:Butterfly Hairpins
50:Tearing Her Apart
51:The Most Fun Game of Tag
52:Because You Make me Certain
53:These Last Moments
54:An Endless Sleep
55:Irony
56:What the Captain Doesn't Say
57:DeRossi
58:Her Criminal
59:Belle Decides to Prove Herself
60:Metal Between Her Teeth
61:Mr. Andrew's Warning
62:An Hour to Live
63:Curing The Disease
64:A Rather Peculiar Escape
65:What Rose Wouldn't Do
66:Still The One
67:The Silver Key
68:Remembering Jamie
69:The Ax
70:A Differet Kind of Boat
71:Trust
72:Marley Takes a Swing
73:Gone
74:Ignorance
75: Witnessing Death
76:Open Gates
77:Wherever You Will Go
78:Turning Into a Monster
79:You Jump, I Jump...Remember?
80:Sweet Life
81:Ten Things
82:Last Goodbyes
83:Nearer My God to Thee
84:What Hurts the Most
85:Death of Titanic
86:Waiting
87:Never an Absolution
88:Fear
89:Never Let Go
90:Three Little Birds
91:A Life so Changed
92:Words Unheard
93:An Ocean of Memories
94:Unable to Stay, Unwilling to Leave
95:A Promise Kept
96:A Second Chance
97:My Heart Will Go On

25:Alison Lets Go

8.4K 41 3
By walkingsunshine

Alison Lovett

Alison sits in her bed, wrapped up in the gentle blankets like a cocoon. The bed is so new that it smells of nothing but her, and she smells of home. Her real home, in Miami Florida. But while this should be comforting, it’s nothing but painful.  It only serves as a reminder of all she’s lost. 

The walls of her clean, large bedrooms are brown, and the carpet is dark red with little golden splotches. There aren’t any windows, and the light is fake. Nothing about this dark, cold room can comfort her.

She digs her nails into the mattress. Little tears pinch the corners of her eyes. Her breathing is uneven, sometimes rapid, sometimes slow, and sweat stains her forehead. Oh God….she begs, a little gasp escaping from the corner of her throat. What on earth am I supposed to do now? She’s never felt so hopeless, so lost, so completely and utterly alone.

But of course I have. A tiny, strangely familiar voice whispers from the back of her subconscious. Of course I know what it’s like to feel lonely and helpless. Images, so clear it’s as if she only viewed them yesterday, begin to fill her mind. An old man with thin hair and wrinkles lining his skin. Except he really isn’t so old, just sick. Very sick. Daddy.

Alison shrugs the covers away, sits up suddenly and blinks, the bright light hurting her eyes. She runs a shaking hand through her frizzed curls. The man in her memory isn’t Daddy. It isn’t her father. Alison’s father is an explorer—strong and healthy and full of adventure. What’s going on?

I remember what life was like before Daddy got sick. He was so strong. He used to lift me up on his shoulders, and I’d be so high that I could taste clouds. Alison can smell summer air. She can feel sunlight dance across her skin. She remembers those shoulders, once strong and lean—shoulders of a man who she keeps thinking of as her father, but he isn’t. He can’t be.

I miss Daddy.

And then suddenly, just like that, Alison gets it. She slides out of bed, at last, and stands, rolling her hands into fists. Her nails dig into her palms, and leave bright red markings. The color is so brilliant, so real. Her toes are bare, and she curls them over the carpet beneath her. She can feel fuzz scratch against her skin. It feels real. The air smells of perfumes and salt. She can taste tears. She can hear the murmured laughter a few rooms down from her own. Real, real, real. Everything is real.

Too real.

She closes her eyes and thinks hard. Alison Lovett knows exactly what she’s going to do now. She takes a deep breath. You know what you’re doing here, don’t you?

Eleanor Brown is real. Eleanor Brown—the southern girl with a sick father and a dead mother who lives with her kind aunt and older cousin—the other Alison, doesn’t answer, but Alison isn’t surprised. I’ve been in bed all morning. She hears Eleanor think. Aunt Molly must be worried somethin’ terrible.

Good. Because I sure don’t. Alison thinks carefully. Do you think it would be best if I just let you do everything? I just keep messing up Eleanor…and this isn’t a dream, is it. A little tear flows down Alison’s cheek. Her skin feels very hot. But you, you know exactly what to do.

I wonder how late it is, Eleanor ponders. It’s not like I can tell, with this awful lack of windows.

And for the first time in two days, Alison smiles.

I should probably head to the dining hall, the other Alison concludes.

And that’s exactly what she does.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

48.5K 2.1K 50
Sit up straight. Cross your ankles. Cover your freckles. Only have straight A's. Don't speak unless spoken to. No internet. No friends. No fre...
17.2K 1.1K 28
[Wattys 2021 Shortlisted] [Wattpad Editor's Pick] [Featured on Wattpad's Fresh Reads List] *** When an asteroid crashes into the moon and pushes...
132K 4.6K 29
You just left your hometown in order to attend a university in London, England for an entire year. You can't wait for Europe and all the adventures t...
123K 8.3K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...