44:Abby's Views on Love

I only own Abby.

Abby Bronte

Abby stands still, overlooking the ocean.  She finds this the safest place for her; where she feels she belongs.  The salty air calms her, and wipes any lingering scents away.  It’s like starting new, standing here by the edge.  When she concentrates her gaze on the crashing waves, always changing yet somehow remaining the same, she can almost tune out the sounds.  It’s like a daydream, and she like it like that.  No thoughts, every once in a while, can be helpful.

                        But, no matter how forcefully Abby concentrates on the sea, she can’t ignore it when someone brushes against her side.  It startles her into reality.

                        When Abby spots Rose walking hastily past her, barely giving her a glance, Abby blushes.  She can’t help but recall the overheard conversation, and her near discovery.  Those few minutes of silence had been some of the most intense in Abby’s life.  Never before had she been so afraid to breathe.

                        Thankfully, for the brief moment Rose’s gray eyes meet Abby’s, they aren’t full of suspicion, or anger, or even the slightest bit of recognition.  More, they’re filled with tears and regret.

                        She gave up.

                        Abby’s not sure if she’d rather be accused of breaking and entering, or know that Rose has stopped trying.  It’s terrible—like a fairytale without a happily ever after.  Abby begs for her assumption to be false; that Rose didn’t give up on her love for some meaningless, infatuated girl.  But she can see it in her eyes.  They’re nearly dead—and that can only mean one thing.

                        Before Abby can give her a meaningful smile, or a simple ‘Are you okay?’ Rose has passed and continues walking along the side.

                        She can’t let her go, not again.  Abby has already left Rose alone once, and she won’t do it again.  No matter how much Charlotte resists, Abby needs to tell this girl what she already knows, but won’t admit to herself.  It’s her responsibility.  Perhaps that’s why fate put her in the room with the two women during the conversation—she may be the only one with the courage to tell her the honest truth.

                        Abby chases after her.

                        “Rose!” she calls.  She quickly approaches her side, and Abby can see the few tears splayed on her face before Rose hastily wipes them off.  Rose forces a smile.

                        “I’m sorry—have we met?”

                        “Yes,” Abby lies with a smile.  “I was at the dinner the other night.  It’s perfectly alright if you don’t remember me.”

                        “Ah,” Rose says.  Abby sees her eyes begin to glaze over as she stares ahead, clearly without interest.  Abby doubts she’s even looked at her; what with her ratty dress and greasy hair, she could never be in first class.  Not that she’s going to point it out.

                        “I need to talk to you,” Abby begins.  The look in Rose’s eyes remains bored, staring straight ahead at nothing.  Abby wonders if she’s even listening.  “About Jack.”

                        “What about him?” Rose asks, clearly feigning disinterest.  She frantically looks about the boat, as if looking for something interesting to stare at.  Anything but meeting Abby’s gaze and admitting how much she cares for the boy.

                        “You need to go to him.  I don’t care if you’re married, or if your best friend in the entire world likes him, or if every single person in the world wants you to be apart.  You deserve him.  And he doesn’t deserve to be left.”

                        Rose stares at her in disbelief.

                        “I know love,” Abby says with certainty.  “And I know that you two have it.  Love isn’t something that can be ignored, or left in a drawer for another day.  You can’t just shut away your emotions, Rose.  It’s obvious in the way you look at him, how you seem alive when you’re with him.  You’re going to love Jack forever, whether you want to or not.  It may be wrong, and against everything you live for, but its love.  Love can’t be changed or revoked.  You need to be with him.  I don’t care how much Belle claims she loves him.  You two…you’re meant to be.”

                        They stop in their tracks, and Rose just stares at her.  Her eyes are wide with disbelief, and her lips are parted ever so slightly in awe.

                        “Go,” Abby commands.  “Get him back.”