The Big Five

By Ferealbum

Excerpt: I laughed with my best friend. Joey had slipped by stepping on a puddle of water. He rubbed the back... More

CAST
1. The Big Five
2. Favors, Sleepovers, and Shopping
3. Hating Pickles and Hiding Nicole
4. Spill the beans and eat the Ice-cream
6. Flirting, Hating, and the Death Whistle
7. Fisher's Treat
8. Overdue Books and Rainy Day Romances?
9. Cheater Cheater Lasagna Eater
10. Clumsy, nerdy, five-year-old artist
11. The Creep, the Jock, and the Quiet Girl
12. Onesies or Revealing Costumes
13. Halloween Dance Party
14. My hero is a cop
15. Happy Birthday, Joey
16. Die Twice, Live Twice
17. BFFs and the surprise guest
18. Big Brother's Mischief
19. Daddy Problems
20. The Flu
21. The Notebook
22. Stupid Fat Fingers and Exhausting Holidays
23. Curiosity killed the cat
24. Happy Holidays
25. Several Reasons Why
26. Chances
27. My Petty Problems
28. Besties
29. Darned Tripping Mechanism
30. Dances and Goodbye?
31. Confession
32. Emma's Valentine
33. End It
34. Dilemma
35. Make Up
36. No Problem
37. How to Relieve Stress
38. Final-ly
39. Closure
Epilogue

5. Mending Relationships....or Not

295 22 3
By Ferealbum

School became my own hell-hole. Joey and I became the school's latest topic, and everyone came to me to ask about Joey. I sighed now, looking at Sophie. She had a freaking notebook with her. What was she? A reporter?

"So, Nicole," Sophie said in a professional voice. "I want you to tell me all you know about Joey. What is his favorite color, favorite food? What kind of girls does he like? Does he like sexy girls, or the cute and innocent? Do you know if he....."

I walked away, leaving Sophie still reading off of her list. I sighed. Ever since that stupid boy announced it to the whole school, I became the center of attention.

Nothing much changed for Joey except for the fact that he gained more fangirls. They thought it was adorable that he apologized. I mean seriously? He was drunk.

"Hey, Nicole," Caroline came over to me.

"Please leave," I muttered. I ignored her and walked on.

"Hi, Nikki!" Mary waved.

"Not interested."

"You wanna sit with us at lunch?" Gloria asked.

"No."

"Let's be partners in our next project!" Tina suggested.

"I'm fine, thanks."

"Wanna have a sleepover?" Hannah asked.

"Not with you."

"Hi, bestie!" Claire said. "How are you doing?"

"Very terrible, non-bestie."

"So..." Wendy started.

I didn't even let her finish. "Goodbye, Wendy."

I sighed. The girls only wanted to be friends with me because they wanted to know more about Joey. I wished they would just leave me be.

I ran into my Calculus room. I bumped into something hard. I looked up and my grey eyes met Eric's dark ones. I gulped as he looked down at me.

"S-sorry," I murmured. I made my way around him. I saw Joey sitting at the back of the room. I walked up to him deliberately.

I put my hands on my hip and waited until he looked up. "We need to talk," I said sternly. "Meet me by the lockers after school. My locker."

With that, I turned on my heel and sat on my seat.

****

I looked at my watch and tapped my foot impatiently. What was taking him so long? Ugh. Joey. He must have stood me up. Where was he?

I saw Eric approach me. His hands were in his pockets and his bag was slung over one shoulder. I ignored him, thinking that he would just pass me. Instead he stopped in front of me.

"Joey's not coming," he said shortly. His voice was gruff and husky. It added on to his intimidating image.

"W-where is he?" I asked. Ugh. I could not talk to him without stuttering.

"Beats me," he replied. "He skipped after math."

"Ugh, Joey!" I muttered. I looked up at him. "Alright. Thanks. I gotta go!"

I waved and ran to the entrance. I got my bike and rode to Joey's house. I knocked on the door.

"Joey!" I yelled and pounded on the door. "Come on, Joe! You can't hide forever!"

The door opened. Mrs. Gordon seemed surprised to see me.

"What's wrong, dear?" She asked.

"Is Joey here?" I asked.

She shook her head. "He never came. Is something wrong?" She looked concerned.

"It's nothing serious," I smiled. "Goodbye, Mrs. Gordon!"

"See you again, sweetie."

I ran to my bike. "Okay," I said to myself. "If I were trying to avoid myself, where would I go? If I were Joey, where would I go?"

And then, the answer came. Joey was probably at a rooftop. He always liked being high up. It was quiet and peaceful. There was a rooftop at our school. He must have gone there.

I got on my bike and pedaled as fast as I could. Once I reached the school, I hopped off and ran into the building. There was no elevator, so I had to take the stairs. The door that led outside was unlocked. I opened it slightly.

"Joey?" I whispered. "You there?" I stepped outside. Cold wind met me. Brrr. It was freezing up here.

"Joey!" I called.

I found him sitting, leaning on the wall of the building. He was listening to music. I could hear it from several feet away. I walked over and sat down next to him. I pulled out one of his earphones.

"Joey?"

"Sup, Nick?" He asked.

"You messed up."

"I know."

"You shouldn't have told everyone."

"I know."

"No, you should have told them from the first time."

"I know."

"Why were you drunk?"

"Dunno."

I looked at him. "Joey. Look at me."

He turned his head.

"What's wrong?"

"I was tired of keeping secrets from my buddies," he sighed. "I got drunk because it was easier to talk that way."

"So, what happened?"

"They were mad at first, but they got over it."

"You weren't suspended?"

"They let me off the hook."

Silence.

"You wanna get some ice cream?" I asked.

"Sure. Why not?"

****

"Chocolate chips, please," Joey ordered.

"And plain vanilla."

We got our ice cream and took a seat near the window. We people-watched for a bit. As I suspected, Joey made me laugh hysterically. I knew this would be better than when I came here alone. And now that everyone knew, I could comfortably talk to him like he was my best friend again.

"How about a sleepover?" I suggested. "This Friday, your place. We can watch a movie."

"A sleepover?"

"Yeah, like before. Your parents aren't going to be home, anyway."

He shrugged. "Why not?"

****

I told Maggie and Emma about my plans on Friday so they didn't have anything planned for me. At first, Maggie looked excited and told me how jealous she was. Then I reminded her that I was having a sleepover with my old best friend. I told her that it might help our relationship.

She then went on to say that I should go because she loved me and wanted me to solve my problem. She also asked me to tell her everything. Typical Maggie.

I packed my things and wrote a note to my mom before going over to Joey's. He opened the door and let me in.

"What do we watch?" I asked as I made my way to the living room. I stopped when I saw the Big Five in the living room.

"Uh, Joey?" I turned around and jerked a thumb at them. "What are they doing here?"

Joey shrugged, but answered, "I told them we were having a sleepover and they wanted to know what my childhood friend was like, so they came over."

Great. I turned around to the rest of the boys and noticed their bags. They were here for a sleepover, too.

"Hi, I'm Nicole, and I was Joey's best friend. Now that you know, you can leave."

"Aww, she's chasing us out," Alex said. "Joey, do we have to leave?"

Joey shook his head and I glared at him. I sighed. I slung my bag off and dropped it on the ground.

"Fine," I said. "If your friends get to be here, my friends can come too." I took out my phone and dialed Maggie's number.

It rang twice before she picked up. "Hyellow," she said.

"Hey, Maggie," I said. "Pack your bags and get over here. Bring Emma with you. We're having a sleepover with the Big Five."

I heard a gasp then a squeal at the other end. "OMG, Nicole, really? I'll be right there."

She hung up and silence filled the room.

I looked at Joey. "So, what's happening?"

"So, Nicole," Sam studied me.

"Yeah," I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. "We worked on like ten World History projects. Now, what do you want to know?"

"We should get to know each other like normal people," Roger said. "While spending time together."

"Uh huh." I checked my phone, trying to ignore the boys' eyes on me. "What's taking them so long?"

Maggie and Emma finally made it. I almost yelled at them. They really took their time to make themselves look good. Really? What did that make me look like?

"Hey, guys," Maggie squeaked.

The guys mumbled their greetings. We sat around the couches and talked. They were pretty cool, and were surprisingly good company.

Except for Eric. He had a nonchalant bored look on his face. He only spoke when Maggie or Emma or one of his friends asked him a question directly. Otherwise, he tried to stay out of everything. We talked until we got bored.

"Who wants to watch a movie?" I asked enthusiastically.

Everyone agreed on watching one.

"Alright! Who's picking?"

When no one volunteered, I held up a rom com. "How 'bout this one?"

I earned a "Yes!" from Maggie and Emma and groans from the guys. My eyes narrowed at them.

"Then what do you want to watch?"

"A horror movie?" Joey suggested.

"No. You know I hate those." I said.

"Action?" Roger asked.

"Nah, too confusing."

"Thriller?" Sam asked.

"Too nerve-wracking."

"Sci fi?"

"It never makes sense."

"War?"

"Definitely not!"

When no more suggestions came through, I smirked triumphantly.

"Rom com it is!" Maggie and Emma squealed excitedly. I got the movie in. Joey handed out popcorn. Us, girls watched from the floor. The boys sat on the couch like the gentlemen they were. Note the sarcasm.

When the movie ended, Emma and Maggie were chatting excitedly. I looked back. The boys had fallen asleep. Except for Roger. He was actually engrossed in the film.

"They're sleeping like babies," Emma said affectionately.

"Yeah," I agreed. "They're actually better this way."

Maggie yawned. "So, where should we sleep?"

"The floor, I guess," I shrugged.

"Oh, great. Whatever. I'm too tired anyway."

I found blankets in a closet outside and put them over the guys. Roger had fallen asleep by this time. I got blankets and pillows for the girls, then settled down and fell asleep.

****

I woke up when I felt something really heavy on top of me.

"Wha....?" I looked down and saw Sam using me as a pillow. Ugh.

I gently got up, replacing myself with a cushion. I yawned and went to the kitchen.

I fixed the everyone some breakfast and ate my own. By the time everyone woke up, I was playing with my phone from boredom.

They sat around the table and chewed on their food. I looked at the time. I had homework and wanted to start on sketching cats, so I decided to leave early.

None of us really bothered to change to our pj's so I could leave immediately.

"Okay, guys," I said. "I need to go, so enjoy your stay and I'll be leaving!"

I got my bag and walked to the door. I closed it and went over to my bike. Okay. Time for homework.
____________________________

So, this was a slow chapter. I ran out of ideas, but I promise more exciting things will come next time.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to click that little star in the corner and comment! 😄

Thanks!
~Fere

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

34.4K 1.7K 38
Started in 2018 Hardcopy available on NotionPress and Amazon *Rank* 1 * in #boynextdoor *Rank* 1 * in #badboylovestory When shy yet sarcastic Daniel...
408K 10.5K 57
"Her troubled eyes held fire. The kind of fire that was capable of burning me to ash." ***** I grabbed her chin with my free hand, making her look at...
82.2K 1.2K 5
(Publishing 4/2. Leaving Wattpad 3/7) EXCERPT ONLY Being in love with your best friend is complicated. Being in love with him after your parents get...
17.9K 975 55
It's nothing like you imagine. Please give it a chance. ✷✷✷✷ She smacked my head. I smacked her head. She stuck out her tongue. I stuck out my tongue...