Safety

By sparkybark17

BOOK 2 OF RECOVERY SERIES After coming home from Osprey Point, Grace finds it difficult to return to her prev... More

Safety
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue - 6 Months Later

Chapter 14

4.5K 209 65
By sparkybark17

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Skyscraper - Demi Lovato
As the smoke clears I awaken
And untangle you from me

Everything Has Changed - Taylor Swift
All I know is we said hello
So dust off your highest hopes
All I know is pouring rain
And everything has changed

***

Days turn into weeks, and I become a fixture at the Waters' ranch.

I spend every available moment with Alice, just grooming and tending to her leg at first. As she begins to heal, however, I start to lunge her around the round ring. Walking, mostly, but she's surprised me once or twice with an adorably bouncy trot.

I've also taken to walking her around the property on foot, letting her get used to the different stimuli on the trail. I find that while she, unlike Rhett, has no qualm with squirrels, she is not fond of plastic bags. Luckily, there are not too many of them around the ranch.

Squirrels, on the other hand, make their homes all over the property. I learned this the hard way, unfortunately.

A little over a week ago, Tilly and I went out on a trail- her on Amethyst, me on Rhett. We decided to gallop through one of the larger fields, when a squirrel ran up a tree in front of our path. Rhett promptly threw his legs out in different directions, and I flew over his shoulder. 

Luckily, I managed to get off with only a few bruises.

Aside from spending time with Alice, I've also been helping with barn work and getting acquainted with the ten horses who live here. Along with Alice, Rhett, Scarlett, Amethyst, and Galileo, I find myself becoming fond of Hercules, a buckskin yearling whose half Arabian and half mutt. Tyler tells me he was orphaned when his mother died in labor, and that his grandfather raised the foal.

Hercules reminds me of a large puppy in his behavior. Anytime I wander into the paddock, he'll trail closely behind me, nuzzling my pockets for treats. If I don't have any on me, he'll shamelessly beg to be pet.

When turned out with the herd, he seems to stick close to Lavender, Marilyn's black and white Rocky Mountain mare. I'm told she was once a broodmare, and still clings to her innate maternal instinct.

Paul's gelding, Nero, is a white Friesian, which up until now I thought did not exist. When I made the mistake of voicing this doubt, I was given a passionate history lesson by Paul. Luckily, I managed to hold Tilly and Tyler hostage during a rant I'm sure they've heard a thousand times.

Apparently, about a century ago, black Friesians were all the rage. As such, people employed the idea of selective breeding to achieve the beautiful onyx horses that equestrians love to gawk at today.

Along with being a living legend, Nero also seems to be involved in a delightful bromance with Fiddle, a bay Hackney horse with a bit of a kicking problem.

I've noticed that Levi is particularly fond of a doe-eyed, bay Paso Fino mare, appropriately named Bambi. He takes extra time in his grooming her, and picks her for a trail ride nine times out of ten.

Unfortunately, that isn't the only thing I've noticed about Levi.

His cocky attitude reminds me of someone I'd like to forget, and though I know it's just me projecting my feelings for Avery onto him, I can't help but gravitate towards him. Even this way he speaks sometimes takes me back to memories of summer and heartbreak.

It doesn't help that he's made no attempt to hide the fact that he's attracted to me. The constant flirting is making me crazy, and I hate myself for it.

Tyler, on the other hand, is very subtle in any shows of affection for me. We get along great, and I find myself seeking him out at both the barn and school, but at any sign of being more than friends, I completely panic.

In one corner, I have a good guy who, for reasons beyond my knowledge, I feel a pull towards. But when I'm around him, I can't trust my mouth to stay quiet. I tell him things I don't mean to, and suddenly he has pieces of me in his hands. And although the lack of control makes my pulse race in fear, it also offers me a strange sense of peace- like I don't have to carry the weight on my own. Tyler always knows what to say to make me feel safe, and I find myself craving that safety whenever he's not around.

My attraction to Levi is of a different breed, based purely on lust and far-off longing for a man I no longer know and can't ever have. For whatever reason, my mind can't seem to separate my feelings for Avery from my attraction to Levi.

I just hope to God that I can figure it out before I find myself too invested in either one of them.

My comic relief at the barn is Tilly.

The girl has no shame, and does not shy away from inappropriate jokes or making an awkward situation even more awkward. She's also fun to trail ride with, and she's the only one here who doesn't treat me like I'm made of glass.

My third visit to the ranch, I fell from Fiddle in the arena. It was a very mild fall, as I had only been riding at a trot and I basically landed on my feet. Tyler, however, melodramatically responded as if I'd hit my head or something, oozing concern.

When I fell from Rhett on my trail ride with Tilly, her response was: "You know he's scared of squirrels, right?" followed by a round of crazy laughter and offering me a leg up to, in her words,  "Get my ass back in that saddle."

I have to say, I much prefer her response.

***

"Have you started to put in your college applications?"

I tilt my head to the side, shooting Jace a curious glance. We're at lunch, and he has Trinity nestled into his side. It's almost nauseating how in love they are, but I have to admit that she's good for him. He's been happier since they've started dating than I've ever seen him before.

"I've sent in a few,"  I respond. "You?"

"Oh, he's sent in at least five at this point," Trinity chuckles. "But what he really wanted to ask you was if you're planning on staying in California."

"Trinity," Jace whines, elbowing her lightly in the side.

"What, you weren't going to ask her. You boys-" she gestures between Tyler and Jace "-all walk on eggshells around the girl."

I grin widely at her, amused by their banter.

"She has a point," Tilly pipes, matching my grin with her own.  Her phone buzzes in her lap, and she quickly snatches it up, tapping away at the screen, the smile falling from her face.

In the back of my mind, I make a note to talk to Tyler about it. I know I tease her about texting a boyfriend, but I'm actually starting to worry that there's some truth to the sentiment. While there's nothing wrong with her dating, I'm a little concerned about why she might feel the need to hide a relationship. Perhaps I'm still paranoid from Chey and her hellish dating history, but I can't shake a feeling of unease every time Tilly gets a text.

"To answer your question, I've been applying all over. Some in California," I say. "I really like Liberty University."

Jace furrows his eyebrow. "Liberty University? Isn't that in Virginia?"

I glance down at my lap.

"They have a great Social Work program," I defend. "And Criminal Justice."

"Criminal Justice?" Tyler questions, ignoring the tension between Jace and I.

"I'm not sure what exactly I want to do yet," I explain. "But I know I want to work with victims of domestic abuse, in one way or another."

"Why would you want to do that?" Tilly asks innocently. Moments later, she yelps, and I assume Tyler stomped on her foot under the table.

"Its fine," I assure, glancing between the two. "I had a friend a while back whose boyfriend used to beat on her pretty badly."

"That's horrible," Tilly replies, her voice dripping with sympathy. "Is she okay now?"

Both Tyler and Jace stomp on her feet this time.

"She died last year," I say bluntly.

My eyes stay trained on my lunch tray, and I suddenly realize I've lost my appetite completely.

"Grace-"

"I'm fine," I reply, standing to my feet and glancing around the table. "Really, I'm fine. I just remembered something I have to do."

Once I determine they aren't going to follow me, I turn and leave.

As I'm walking away, I hear Jace say softly "Tilly, Don't beat yourself up. We just don't talk about Chey."

A/N

Did I update quickly or what?

I realize this is a short chapter and also a filler chapter, but it was necessary and stuff will start picking up soon.

Next chapter is pretty intense tbh.

Actually, this was the last filler chapter for the rest of the book, except for maybe Chapter 22.

Oh, I cast Tilly! Check out the cast list.

Random Quote: "And like the moon, she had a side of her so dark, that even the stars couldn't shine on it. She had a side of her so cold, that even the sun couldn't burn on it."

My new theme-quote.

Is that even a word?

So the rest of this week is pretty busy for me and I'm not sure how much time I'll have to write. I'll try to keep up though.

Also, I find it very adorable when you guys ask me if Avery and Trigger are coming back. It's so cute that you guys think I'd spill my secrets!!!! I seriously adore you guys.

Hope you're having a great summer so far! If you're doing anything interesting, comment below.

Also, if any of you were affected by the Orlando shooting, I'm so, so sorry and I'm keeping you in my prayers. I'm an Orlando girl myself, but as I've said, I'm currently out of town. Luckily no one I know was at the club that night, but I have friends who regularly go there and that's terrifying. The thing I always find amazing about these senseless acts of terror is how the community comes together afterwards. Everyone in Orlando and surrounding areas is staying so strong and keeping the faith right now. I'm so proud of my city.

I love you all so much and want you to stay safe always, okay? I'm sending my love to you all.

Goodnight My Lovelies!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

253 11 27
Horse trainer, Jacey Montgomery, loves working with the so called broken horses, the horses nobody wants anymore. Just as she comes to enter her last...
136K 7.3K 35
A fatal mistake and a dead horse sink Era into depression, and she vows never to ride again. But when her mother sends her to her father's ranch to '...
731 37 38
Original Content in 2015. Revise and edit in 2021. Most original context will still be here. Summary for Caroline's story: Caroline is a farm girl wh...
41 1 21
A girl who's put between two guys and has to figure out the right way to go in life but she gets put through many things but she figured out what was...