Within the Walls

By Unoriginally_Red

Elle Fallon, a girl from a starving dystopian town, breaks the most absolute law to find a cure for her sick... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 27

4.8K 374 37
By Unoriginally_Red

Larissa rakes the comb through my curls, pulling out all the knots while I train my gaze outside the window. I can see the River from where I sit on a rickety wooden stool in the bedroom, I spent many nights in after Isabelle's death. The sun dips below the top of the wall, casting its burnt orange light across the city, painting the sky in an array of yellow, pink, and indigo. The colour reflects in the river and waterfall that are otherwise a steely grey.

"Did Lord Sneya tell you about the uprisings in the Convex Sector?" Larissa breaks up my thoughts.

"Oh, he told me. How did you know?"

"News spreads in the palace. Even though we're not allowed to watch the coverage on television."

"I didn't realise people were doing this," I say.

"I think it's been brewing for some time," she says.

"I don't think I've been so scared before," I say, voice shaky with panic. "I didn't mean everyone at the bar to die because of me."

"Hey now." She stops and steps in front of me, kneeling to my eye level. "It is not your fault he is cruel. People have endured too much. They needed someone like you. You've given people hope and they are brave enough to take a chance."

"I shouldn't have done it," I splutter, tears rolling down my cheeks. "Isabelle was right about the stupid River. It was too dangerous. I don't want this anymore."

"Elle!" She squeezes my shoulders. "You are braver than anyone I know. But this is beyond you now."

She stands up. Larissa's nimble fingers move again. She winds the locks together and ties the end of the braid with a band. She steps in front of me, her blue eyes peering into my own with an new determination. "Let's show them that Convex are bigger than some old man's power."

I wipe the tears away. "Okay, let's do it."

She grins back. Larissa then shuffles up to the narrow bed, picking up black cargo pants and a grey tunic. She turns around while I change out of the thin blue gown, stepping into the leggings, shrugging on the tunic. The movements tug at my bullet graze and I bite back a wince. As I turn back around, Larissa pulls out a synthetic leather belt and wraps it around my waist.

"One more thing," she says, bending down to her slight case. She dusts my face with powder, draws a line of black kohl under my eye and swipes my lashes with mascara. She steps back, narrowing her eyes as she peers at me. Her lips purse. Then she nods.

"Larissa, I'm having a duel with Sneya, not attending his evening meal. What was the point of that?" I ask.

"Come on, Elle." She shakes her head as if it is obvious. "You must look your best when facing Lord Sneya."

I cannot help but smile at that. "If I die today, please give my middle finger to Lord Sneya."

----

My stomach churns at the grand courtroom doors. They rise to a monumental height, engraved with wild animals from before the apocalypse. Lions, elephants, giraffes, rhinoceros. Two Tranquillity patrolmen stand rigidly right behind me. They each clutch a rifle, ready for use. I turn to Larissa, who waits with me. With my hands clenched at my sides, I swallow the lump in my throat. Behind the doors, the rumble of cheerful Concave chatter only curdles my insides. I hate myself for allowing Sneya to get to me like this, and I give my head a little shake, clearing the thoughts. I close my eyes for several beats, blowing out my lungs and inhaling. Then rumble in the courtroom quietens.

Lord Sneya's booming voice echoes across the room. "Good evening, my beloved Concave citizens! What a night for such an event. Tonight, I have invited the infamous Red Leaf to a duel. As you know, there are Convex citizens turning to her for courage. They want to take over my position and put everyone at risk of illness. She is a symbol of rebellion. Tonight, I'll reduce her to a shell to show them she is not worthy of such as a risk, as I am the only leader capable of keeping the city safe. We shall see how brave she is when faced with the point my sharpest of swords!"

There is an uproar of cheers and the unsettling roll of applause.

"Larissa," I say. "I'm scared."

"I know." She pulls me into a hug. "You're a storm, Elle. Show them thunder."

"And so, without further ado, let's welcome the Red Leaf herself into court: Elle Fallon!" Sneya bellows.

The doors let out a deep shuddering boom as they ease open, and the bright light of the courtroom engulfs me. I stand stock-still for a moment, my heart skipping a beat at the sheer sight of the magnificent room. As I walk into the middle of the room, I almost gawk. The floor is white with an intricately painted design at the centre and the ceiling is at least two stories above me. Bronze bleachers border both sides of the room. People dress in gowns and suits.

Lord Sneya stands in the centre of the courtroom. He wears polished armour. Plates protect his chest, arms, and shins. Sneya clutches a helmet with an intricate hawk-like design as if meant to terrify the enemy. With the point at the floor, and the hilt at his waist is my sword, despite himself, he has had it polished. Suddenly, I know I am underdressed. My cotton attire is no match against his steel armour. The realisation must make it to my face as he grins in triumph.

"Welcome, Elle," he booms, his green eyes glinting with malice in the light of the grand chandelier.

Despite my lack of height, I stand taller, puffing out my chest, raising my chin. "You must feel quite brave, Sneya," I muse walking further into the room, closer to him. "With your armour and cheering Concaves."

His jaw clenches. "I could say the same thing about you, Elle, with your... gift."

"The difference between you and me, Sneya, is that I don't use my advantage against the weak."

Sneya bursts out laughing, followed by an echo of laughter from the Concaves. I glare at them, sweeping my stony gaze around the room. I do not see Ruben among them.

Lord Sneya swings the sword around, laying the blade in his palms. He steps closer so I can see his polished face in all its detail. Someone has groomed his facial hair, and his jade eyes bore into mine. I grab my sword from him and he backs away. He knows I could kill him.

I spin the blade in a figure of eight, basking in the way it slices through the air. Sneya needs armour, but I just need my sword.

Lord Sneya pulls his helmet over his head, grips the hilt of the sword in the scabbard at his belt and slides it out. It has a narrow blade with garnets embedding the otherwise golden hilt. He swings the blade over his shoulder. I swing mine above my head; the point directed at him as I lower into a stance.

A herald then materialises between us, dressed in a white suit with a gold collar. "Ladies and gentlemen, I present Lord Sneya and the Red Leaf, Elle Fallon," he says to the crowd. "The rules of this duel are simple; disarm your opponent first, without killing them. Now, without further ado, let the duel begin!"

The crowd cheers before a hush sweeps around the room. Eyes and necks crane to see us. Sneya and I glare and circle one another. Each daring the other to strike first.

It is the snake that strikes first. He slashes the sword and I jump away, but not before the tip catches my arm. I bite back a cry. Recovering, I force my eyes to meet his and grin. I duck low and bring the blade to his calf, but the blade crash together. As I leap around him, the wound from the bullet screams in protest. I also notice the dark scruffy head of Ruben as he appears at the far end of the bleachers. Our eyes meet. In that moment of distraction, Sneya strikes in my direction, the edge catching on my healing bullet wound, reopening it in a fresh wave of agony. I let out a deep, guttural scream, doubling over. The crowd roars in triumph.

I draw in a deep, trembling breath and straighten up, hardening my gaze. I thrust the sword towards him, letting out a hiss as I strike higher, and he blocks it. We both push, pressing bodily against one another. I realise, just as it is too late, that he is stronger than me. I lose my grip on the sword and it skids across the marble floor. We pause, both registering. Sneya strikes again. The blade cuts into my forehead and I cry out. I leap back, using my peripheral vision to calculate how far away my sword is and begin making my way over.

Sneya slashes and jabs at me, each time missing with my now attuned and quickened reflexes. The Concaves shriek in protest as we near the bleachers and I grin. I duck, swinging my legs around, all the while risking the blade. My legs catch on Sneya's shins and he curses as he loses balance, toppling backwards and losing the grip of his sword. We both watch as the sword slides several feet away and we pause as we analyse the situation. But I am quicker. As I snatch it up and spin around, my boot connects with Sneya's chest, sending him sprawling back to the floor. I wipe the blood from my cheek, red smearing on my hand. I point his sword at his throat, grazing the delicate skin.

"Don't. Move, Sneya."

Then I register the deafening silence, save for my erratic breathing and the blood rushing past my ears.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

238K 4.8K 27
She was his world. Everyone in the lot saw that. They saw what the two had and didn't want to intervene. Maybe it was one of those summer romances th...
564K 38.9K 47
THE YEAR IS 2050. Human-like androids have become integrated into society and every household, becoming part of our daily lives. They look exactly li...
43.7K 1.6K 10
When Morgana captures Merlin in her hovel she curses him. Her plan is to make him kill Arthur, but when she realises who Merlin really is, her wishes...
102K 3.6K 20
COMPLETED ♡ miya atsumu x fem! reader UNI AU ↳ a short fic in which a schoolmate who is not on his phone much suddenly becomes great at texting...