Hidden Hearts

By 52Mila52

*This is a fan fiction based off of C. L. Stone's Ghost Bird series. Sang Sorenson is a very perceptive girl... More

Chapter 1. The beginning
Chapter 2. She who sees everything
Chapter 3. She who says it all
Chapter 4. She who hears everything
Chapter 5. Mr. Blackbourne
AN: Just a quick explanation...
Chapter 6. Gabriel
Chapter 7. Victor
Chapter 8. Kota
Chapter 9. And so it begins... or not?
Chapter 10. She who disappeared like a ghost
Chapter 11. Back to the beginning
Chapter 12. The half-naked girlfriend
Chapter 13. Dead meat
Chapter 14. Group hug!
Chapter 15. Silas
Chapter 16. Storm
Chapter 17. Nathan
Chapter 18. Dogs and bitches
Chapter 19. Grumpy bear
Chapter 20. Dreams and wishes
Chapter 21. First day
Chapter 22. First day part II
Chapter 23. What one does for family
Chapter 24. Sleepover
Chapter 25. First kiss
Chapter 26. Dominatrix?
Chapter 27. Missions and Retribution
Chapter 28. Moving
Chapter 29. Toasts
Author's Note
Chapter 30. The Academy - Aware
Chapter 31. Academy - Present
Chapter 32.
Chapter 33. Fire
Chapter 34. Family
Chapter 35. Bonding
Chapter 36. Academy - Request
Chapter 37. Academy - Inside
Chapter 38. Stalker
Chapter 39. Laying down the law
Chapter 40. When truths come to light
Chapter 41. Shortie!!
Chapter 42. Girls
Chapter 44. The end

Chapter 43. Boot camp

5.5K 315 44
By 52Mila52

Today is the big day...

Me and the boys are preparing our bags to head out to the boot camp so me and the girls can be introduced to the Academy, along with North, Silas and all the new recruits.

I was going in the jeep along with North, Silas, Luke and Gabriel.

Owen was taking Sean in his car and Victor was driving the rest of the boys.

The girls would meet us there since I had managed to introduce them to Phil and some other Academy members this past week after we had reunited.

They had been taken under Roxanne's and Charlene's wings, thankfully, the older ladies taking a liking to the girls immediately and the girls seeming to appreciate the presence of the eccentric duo.

It wasn't that I was not glad to see them, because I was, but their presence brought many unpleasant memories too.

I could see how the boys were worrying because of it and now they all seemed on edge. They were also being super sweet, which was a bonus.

"Sweetie," Kota's voice sounded soft and caring in my ear as he wrapped his arms around my waist from behind and kissed my cheek. "Are you ready?"

I was standing in the middle of mine and Nathans room, staring at my open suitcase. Gabriel had already filled it with all I would need but I was also adding some books for me to read at nighttime. There was nothing better than reading a good story before sleeping.

Well... except for cuddling with one of my boys.

Sigh... my boys. I really loved them.

"Almost, love." I told him as he nuzzled my neck and I felt a shiver run up my spine.

"Don't take too long, we are going to be late." he murmured against my skin without letting me go, his warm breath on my neck giving me goosebumps.

I smiled. "You know... you are not convincing me to move any faster. Actually, I feel like staying right where I am."

He raised his head from my neck and I turned my face to look at him.

The brat had a smug smile on his face. I laughed and turned around, resting my hands on his chest. "Stop being silly before you make the both of us late. Owen will give us hours."

He lowered his head until his nose touched mine in an eskimo's kiss. "Hummm... would be completely worth it." He said with a smile before kissing me briefly and letting go.

His kiss had been sweet and brief but I still felt a little dazed afterwards and the smile on his face along with the knowing look in his green eyes told me he was well aware of it.

I sent him a mock glare and turned back to my bag, choosing the books I wanted to take with me and putting them inside before closing it.

Kota stepped to my side and shooed me so he could take the suitcase and carry it to the car. I didn't bother with arguing with him, he was too much of a gentleman to allow me to carry my own bag, and I didn't really mind. It didn't make me less capable, just more loved.

Walking into the living room I saw that all my boys were there waiting. I smiled at them and made the rounds, hugging and kissing the cheeks of those who wouldn't be traveling with me.

Most of my boys were okay with my joining the academy, I knew, but one of them was still nervous about the whole process.

I glance at Luke to see he frowning much like his brother did.

Luke and Sean were the only ones who I hadn't managed to have any alone time with yet, and so I still hadn't told them how much I loved each of them.

I hoped to be able to do so in the camp. They needed those words as much as I needed to say them.

We pile into our cars and head out, me in the back seat between Luke and Gabriel with North driving and Silas in the passenger.

"So, are you sure you are ready for this, Sang baby?" North asked me, glancing at me through the car's rear view mirror. "You know we don't need to do this right now, these fuckers can wait until you are ready if you aren't sure."

I smiled at him, feeling Luke tense beside me. "I am sure, North Star. Don't worry."

North just nodded at me and focused back on the road.

I wasn't talking only with North. While I told him not to worry I took Luke's hand on mine and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

He relaxed a little beside me, his body leaning closer to me as if he didn't want to be away.

I wasn't sure about what it was that was worrying Luke so much. Glancing sideways at Gabriel I tried to catch his gaze and convey my doubts to him.

His bright blue eyes glanced at me and then at Luke before he focused back at me and gave a reassuring smile. He would help me.

I knew he would, Gabriel was my biggest support.

He was my breath of fresh air and gave me the strength I needed to face each new day.

......

I watch silently as the Blackbourne team arrives at the camp, their entourage of cars arriving one after the other and parking in the lot before the tree line. They are the biggest team in the academy, and by far one of the most talented.

Mrs. Rose and Mr. Duncan stand to each side of me, their faces bright and expectant. We had waited a lot of time to meet this bird personally.

The three of us are part of the Academy council and responsible for the boot camp and all the new recruits.

Seeing that the boys and the girl are getting out of their cars I run my hand down my black suit and fix my tie before taking my first step in their direction.

I and my colleagues had been hidden in the shadows of the trees, out of sight, but that single step into the light of the sun was all it took to warn the bird to our presence.

Her head snapped up and she turned around, green eyes finding mine unerringly and stopping me in my tracks.

God, she was good... And quite stunning, too. Those photos in her file didn't make her justice.

Her green eyes narrowed on me for a second before they flew to Mrs. Rose and Mr. Duncan who had step up next to me.

One of the boys saw her attention had diverted from their group and turned around to see what was distracting her.

His dark brown eyes caught sight of us and he frowned a little before relaxing and laying a calming hand at her back, making her look up at him in question.

By his dark clothing and frowning face I surmised he was Mr. North Taylor, another new addition to the Blackbourne team.

Owen Blackbourne turned around then and saw us. He exchanged a few words with his team before striding in our direction, his gray eyes and face completely emotionless, much like my own.

I had been one of Owen's teachers in the academy, and the boy was my pride and joy. He was much like a son to me.

"Mr. Bubble," He greeted, extending his hand in my direction for a handshake.

"Mr. Blackbourne." I greeted him, letting that pride show in my voice. He gave me a little smile before turning to Mrs. Rose and Mr. Duncan to greet them as well.

By then his team had finished removing their suitcases from the cars and were all standing behind him, the girl right in the middle, with Sean Green to her right and Dakota Lee to her left.

"I'd like to present you our newest members, Sang Sorenson, North Taylor and Silas Korba." Owen said, indicating the girl, the black clad boy and the tallest of the boys with a nod of his head.

We all greeted each other and the boys and girl moved on to their cabin, so they could drop their things and settle down for the week to come.

"How are things going, then, Mr. Blackbourne?" I asked him as we watched the group walk away.

"All is going well, Mr. Bubble." Owen answered with his face impassive. "The boys have finished their missions for this week, including the one of finding Mr. Hendricks."

"Aaah, yes. We are glad to hear that nasty business is solved." Mr. Duncan said. "Your team was the first one to arrive today, Owen."

The camp was mostly deserted in the moment, but soon it would be full with academy members and recruits.

Owen looked around at the row of wood cabins; they all looked the same except for their number painted in the door. "So I see, Mr. Duncan."

Mrs. Rose raised her hands and began signing, "When will the other girls arrive?"

Owen smiled at her while signing, "Very soon, Mrs. Rose. Mrs. Roxanne and Mrs. Charlene are bringing them."

I raised my eyebrow at him. "You refer to them by the first name, Mr. Blackbourne." I was shocked. That wasn't something he did even among family, much less with complete strangers.

The boy was very good at keeping his face blank, but I saw the little twitch of his lip before he said, "They didn't give me a surname to call them by, Mr. Bubble."

Mr. Duncan smirked at him, "You are losing your touch, Old boy. Being left behind by a pair of grandmas."

Owen glared at my fellow council member. "You've not met them yet since they are from the NY branch. Besides, I do believe they are the same age as you, Mr. Duncan."

Duncan just laughed at the young man, who fixed his tie with an almost annoyed expression on his face, his gray eyes shooting frozen daggers at laughing man.

"I can't wait for their arrival!" Mrs. Rose was signing, "There are some very interesting caverns around this place! Will little Sang be coming with us?"

Owen's left eye gave a little twitch before he turned his full attention at Mrs. Rose.

"I am sure the girls will love to accompany you on your adventure, Mrs. Rose. It is a pity, however, that Sang don't be able to do so. I predict that she will be busy keeping all my brothers in line during this camp."

I almost smiled at the young man's attempt in saving his bird from Rose's craziness.

Rose frowned at him before signing, "This camp is supposed to be her introduction to the academy, Owen. This is a place where she can meet new people and make her choice. You can't hog her."

Owen nodded his head in agreement, "Hogging her was never my intention," I almost laughed. The boy was lying through his teeth now. "I was merely following Miss Sorenson wishes. She has requested to stay with us during boot camp as she isn't comfortable with other females or strangers yet."

I frowned at him, "If she is having trouble, Mr. Blackbourne, so she should meet with a specialist."

He nodded at me, "She will. We are just waiting until she settle down a little more and finds her footing." The boy speared me with hard glance. "You do realize she spent years in a highly traumatic situation where she had close to no control, it will take time for her to start feeling like her life is her own. None of us want to push her into something she doesn't wish for."

Translating: don't meddle in our business.

I thought I should be surprised by how territorial and protective my old disciple was being of this bird. Being so emotional wasn't typical of Owen Blackbourne after all, but after taking a good look at the girl I could understand why he was being so unlike himself.

By reading her file one could tell that Sang Sorenson was smart, strong and capable. Not to mention very courageous and loyal.

Meeting her I was faced with a little girl with the face of an angel, looking small and frail. You wouldn't think she was the same girl mentioned in the file until you look in her eyes and see all that she is there, the shadows from past fear and pain still present for small amounts of time, her will as strong and resilient as steel, her kindness and her caring personality. You could see it all in her gaze.

"I understand, Mr. Blackbourne. I trust you, as liaison between your family and the Academy, to know what is best." I told him, observing as his shoulders and arms seemed to relax a little.

The boy gave us a last nod and went back to join his team, leaving the three of us alone in the tree line.

"Well... What do you think?" Duncan asked.

"I think that we could consider that one and the two new boys with her as official members of the Blackbourne team." Rose signed. "None of them looked out of place or uncomfortable in that family. Quite the contrary."

I nodded at her. "Indeed, the way they all moved to remove those bags and how they all stood together when facing us. They were a united front, seamless and closer to one another than they were in the past."

"It's all her, I'd bet." Rose commented.

"And I'd have to agree." I said.

"Me too." Duncan agreed, nodding his head.

Well, then, it seems to be decided...

......

I observed from our cabin's window as more teams arrived to the camp, trying to discretely open the Hershey bar in my hands without being caught.

The others were all behind me, spread through the living room, some standing against the walls, others in the couch, a few on the floor. Mr. Blackbourne was sitting in the armchair with Sang perched at the arm, leaning against his shoulder to look at something on his tablet.

I was still worried. What if the academy wanted Sang to joy another team? There were so many things that they could offer her.

What if they offered her a couple team? A normal life?

What if she decided she preferred to work with girls after all.

What if she didn't want to stay with us? Maybe we were asking too much from her, to love nine guys who were so different from each other.

Maybe it was too soon. Another team could steal her from us.

"Oy!" Gabe's shout right by my ear made me jump and drop my chocolate in the floor. Thankfully it was still in the packing.

I turned my head to glare at him before bending to pick it up, crooning at it, "There, there, my sweet. Papa is got you now and the bad man isn't going to eat you..." I told the chocolate.

Gabe rolled his eyes at me, "Oy, I've been trying to talk with you for the last three freaking minutes. Snap out of dream land already and listen to me, you fucker."

Turning my attention back to him I asked "What?" and took a bite out of my chocolate, seeing that North was too distracted speaking with Silas to notice.

"I need to talk with you," He said grabbing hold of my arm and tugging for me to follow him, "Come on."

I followed him out of the living room and to the room we would be sharing with Nathan.

Pulling me in he closed the door behind us before turning to face me with a serious expression on his face that made me instantly pay attention, "Okay, spill it." He said.

I blinked at him, "Spill what?" I asked him even thought I knew exactly what he was talking about.

Gabe frowned at me, "Don't you give me that bullshit now, Luke. It is about Sang so don't you dare to try and get out of this."

He was right, of course. One shouldn't play pretend games when it came to girl he and his brothers loved.

I sighed and spilled my fears and insecurities at his feet. I feared being left by Sang. The way my mother had left, my father had left, and even Uncle had left, many times, working for the Academy.

I knew my fears weren't completely rational, but I couldn't stop myself.

He heard me quietly, the way I knew he would before answering.

Snort... "You are such a fool sometimes." He deadpanned and I felt my mouth drop open.

"Excuse me?" I asked him incredulously.

"You heard me. You are a fool if you think that girl is going anywhere." Gabe said, a surety and assurance that I didn't see often in him showing in his face and body language. "She don't want to leave us, Luke. And she isn't going to change her mind because we are not going to allow her to. We are going to take care of her and love her enough that she will never wish to leave."

I swallowed thickly, my heart pounding in my chest in fear and hope. "Are you sure, man?" I asked him, but the glint in eyes already told me he was.

Gabriel didn't trust many things in life. As his brother and best friend I knew him, knew his insecurities. He was the more insecure of his brothers, so if he was sure that they would stay together, that they wouldn't lose Sang, I had no other choice except to believe.

"Of course I am fucking sure!" he told me with his typical flair for words.

I smiled at him, feeling my shoulders relax. Sang wasn't leaving them.

Suddenly I felt a soft hand on my lower back and I jumped, startled.

"Gabriel..." Said Sang's sweet voice from behind my back.

I spun around to find her there. How she managed to enter the room without my noticing I will never know.

Gabe nodded his head at her and left the room, closing the door behind him.

Sang turned her attention back to me after he left. Her beautiful green eyes were sparkling and she had a mischievous smile on her face that made me want to kiss her.

I felt my lips stretch in a smile that I reserved only for her. I was sure it was a dopey one, but didn't care.

She was so perfect for me. For all of us, really. She was our soulmate.

I knew some people would believe me stupid for my way of thinking. They would say there was no such thing as "soulmates".

And maybe there isn't for those who don't believe, but I do. And I found mine.

Looking at her I couldn't believe how lucky I was to have her in my life. Sang was incredible. She was smart, beautiful, shy, but sometimes mischievous and playful, and more importantly... She took me seriously.

I was the day-dreamer of the family, always had been, and as much as my brothers loved and supported me they never took my dreams and fantasies seriously.

Probably because I had so many of them, but still...

Sang always listened to me and took my words in consideration. She dreamed with me and she convinced me that if I wish I could make all my dreams into reality. She was the first person to ever believe in me completely.

"I have something for you." she said, her right hand hidden behind her back.

I smiled at her, my heart warming at the simple sight of her smile. I loved to see her happy.

"What?" I asked.

She pulled her hand from behind her back and showed me a chocolate Cupcake.

"See what I managed to get past North!" She exclaimed proudly.

I laughed and bent down, carefully wrapping my arms around her and carrying her to the bed where I sat with her sideways in my lap.

"So, do you want to share that cupcake, Cupcake?" I asked, watching as she looked at the little piece of chocolaty goodness and bit her lip.

I almost groaned at the sigh. Sang and chocolate was almost too much for a guy to handle.

"Okay," She said before taking a tiny bit of the cupcake and then turning it to me in offering.

I took her hand in mine, holding it steady and took a bite.

The sweet taste of chocolate exploded in my mouth as I stared into her happy, green eyes. I started chewing the sweet when I felt something hard in my mouth. Confused, I spit in my hand.

Laying on my palm was an aluminum ring, the words "Forever & Always" written on it. It was so small that I thought it would fit only in my little finger.

Raising my shocked eyes at hers I caught her smiling a little nervously at me.

"Sugar... are you proposing?" I asked, only half joking.

She giggled a little, "Marriage? No, I am not sure we will ever get around to that seeing as I have nine boyfriends, but... well..." she stumbled a little, her cheeks heating under my curious gaze. "I wanted us to make a promise." She finally said, taking the last bit of the cupcake and swallowing it.

I took in a deep breath. My heart was pounding against my chest and I felt like something life changing was about to happen between us.

"What promise?" I asked her, my voice sounding low and a little rough. I was nervous, I realized. Nervous and hopeful. Did this mean Gabriel was right? Was she about to ask me for something that I rarely dared to dream about, too afraid of it never becoming a reality.

She took a deep breath, as if bracing herself, and then laid her hands on each side of my face gently. Her fingers trembled a little as they touched my cheeks caressingly and I felt myself tremble as well. "I want to promise you, Luke, with this ring, that I will stay with you and our family for as long as you guys will have me."

Her voice had been firm and steady, but the doubt and vulnerability in her eyes made my heart squeeze. Doubt over my love for her was something I never wanted to see in this precious girl eyes.

Especially not when she gave me the promised I had not dared to dream of ever receiving from her.

I took her chin in my hand and bent down to brush my lips against hers lightly. "How about forever?" I asked against her mouth.

Her breath tickled my face when she smiled, "And always?" her voice sounded so hopeful and a little breathless. I could barely believe it.

"Are you sure, Sang?" I asked her, holding my breath. "You've not met the rest of the Academy yet. You might like them."

She peered into my eyes, her green ones flashing at me. "I have no doubt I might like them, Luke." Her voice was firm. "But you should know that I love you."

My breath caught in my throat. She loved me.

She freaking loved me!

I felt my lips stretch in the biggest and indubitably stupidest smile ever.

I cupped her face in my palms and laid a smacking kiss in her lips, "I love you too, Cupcake!" I told her before pulling back and slipping the ring in my little finger.

I, then, raised my finger to her, expectant.

She wrapped her pinkie around mine and together we said, "Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!"

After that we smiled at each other like two loons until Gabriel burst back into the room.

"Well!" He shouted. "Now that is settled let's go! We have a lot to do, Trouble! Chop, chop! Get that pretty ass in gear!"

We just laughed at him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 1.1K 62
A young girl named Sang Sorenson has had a rough life. Since she was very little, all she can remember is pain and suffering. She does not really rem...
25.1K 1.5K 31
Ghost Bird Series Fanfiction Sang Sorenson attends Ashley Waters High School. Or, as some people like to call it, Hell. To make it worse, most of the...
347K 20.8K 45
Two new obsessions have consumed the Blackbourne team: the beautiful new male student at Ashley Waters and the captivating feminine voice from the wo...
331K 16.6K 34
"I can't bear to see you in pain," I whispered to him, why couldn't he understand? "I have to protect you." "But who looks after you?" Mr. Blackbourn...