Tennessee Line to LA Lights (...

By jamiemac26

Stephanie Wright is headed to the bright lights of LA to start a new life. But will she be able to run away f... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12

Chapter 13

709 15 4
By jamiemac26

"Okay, I'm going to ask again but are you sure that it is going to make it onto the album?" Stephanie fidgeted with the knobs in front of her, adjusting the sound that flowed from the speakers.

"For the love of Pete, yes it will make it onto the album," Adrienne huffed and slumped down into the chair next to her friend. "I swear Steph, you are the most irritating artist that I've ever worked with. If you weren't my friend..."

"I only irritate you because I am your friend. If I were just some random artist, you'd be super sweet to me." She batted her long eyelashes at Adrienne, "Now, you're sure that..."

"If you ask me one more time if that fucking song is going to make it onto the album, I'm going to make a call and have it pulled... so stop! Also," Addy reached into her bag and pulled out a manila envelope, "I have the album sleeve, with the song on the track listing. Is that proof enough for you?"

Stephanie took the colored piece of paper into her hands, studying it carefully as a grin grew on her face. "This is beautiful and perfect. Thank you so much! Is everything ready for the party this weekend?"

Adrienne nodded, "Yes and before you ask, I've done everything in my power to make sure that Matthew doesn't realize that the party is actually for him. Does he suspect anything?"

"Nope, not that he's letting on to at least."

"And, you are going to relent to whatever I have planned for your actual album release party?"

Stephanie rolled her eyes, "I told you that I would."

"Good, because I have quite the shindig planned for you," Adrienne took the album cover back from Stephanie, placing it gently into it's protective covering.

"Don't get too ahead of yourself, there is no guarantee that anyone will want to come."

Adrienne smiled, "This is where I tell you that several more stations have requested access to the song and from the numbers that they have sent me, the requests for your song have gone up exponentially. There is plenty of interest in your music Steph, therefore, the great need to have one hell of a release party."

Stephanie chuckled, "You are the marketing guru, so I leave my fate in your hands my friend."

"Well it's about fucking time!" Adrienne pushed her chair back and stood up, "Don't spend too long in here, the album is done and you should get some rest before the craziness hits you upside the head."

"Thanks for the imagery, I will be be out of here soon enough." Stephanie turned the volume up as Adrienne slipped out the door. She had played this song over and over again, it had been a last minute addition to the EP and the first time she hadn't used her own lyrics, but the words that Matthew had written to her just needed to be turned into a song, so she had. It had taken her several tries lying down the track before she had been satisfied, but now, as she played it again, it was exactly as she had imagined it.

The music pulsed through the air, and Stephanie could feel the vibrations from down the street as her and Matthew approached the club.

"You realize that I know about the party, right?" Matthew reached down, taking her hand in his.

She nodded, "I figured it would be difficult to keep it a secret. I guess that's why it's a good thing the party isn't the only surprise that will happen tonight."

"You don't need to go all out for me. You know that I'm just fine with a quiet night at home or a small gathering of friends, right?"

"I know, but everyone deserves to be spoiled from time to time and lord knows that you spoil me all the time. I wanted to do this for you, so just shut up and pretend to be shocked."

Matthew laughed, holding the door open for them both as they slipped inside the darkened building. The pulsing increased in intensity and as they pushed back the heavy velvet curtain, revealing several of Matthew's friends, the shouts of 'surprise' echoed above the din of the music.

Stephanie slipped away, as the crowd that surrounded him grew. She made a beeline for the stage, weaving her way through the trong of people that occupied the large dance floor. This party was so over the top, she had to laugh at how much it wasn't like Matthew. She needed to remind herself not to let Adrienne plan another surprise party. She reached the backstage door and slipped through it. Her tuned guitar was propped up in the corner where she was told it would be and the studio musicians were beginning to gather, getting their own instruments ready. She was going to perform two songs, one she was ready for, the other, she wasn't quite sure. She walked up onto the stage, the curtain blocking her from the masses, and took her spot, right in the center. Her guitar was pressed into her back, and her heart pounded in her chest. This was the largest crowd, to date, that she would be standing in front of, and it was on a night when she was about to bear her soul to the man that she was undoubtedly in love with. The other musicians joined her, and she nodded to Adrienne when the woman stuck her head through the slip in the drapery.

"Ladies and gentlemen, and the birthday boy," Adrienne's voice boomed through the spacious club, "You are all entitled to quite the treat tonight. For only the second time on a live stage, let's hear it for Stephanie Wright."

The crowd erupted in applause and cheers of support and as the darkness gave way to a flood of lights, Stephanie took her guitar in her hands, strumming out the chords of the song that she'd created with Matthew's words.

She couldn't see his face, but from the reaction of the crowd, she had to guess that his face would match their excitement. Her breathing picked up and her heart pounded in her chest as she leaned into the microphone, "So, I have one more song to play for you all tonight. I've never been good with words unless I'm putting them down on paper and adding music to them, but I would like to say that this year has been a complete roller coaster. I've had some highs and some very ugly lows but I've had one person standing next to me through it all and I just want to say, Matthew...I wrote this for you..."

She took a deep breath, knowing that she needed to get her voice under control if she was going to get through it....

You never know when you're gonna meet someone

And your whole wide world in a moment comes undone

You're just walking around and suddenly

Everything that you thought that you knew about love is gone

You find out it's all been wrong

And all my scars don't seem to matter anymore

Cause they led me here to you

The last fifteen or so years that she had spent with Dustin were a fading memory. Here marriage was over and her life was on the path of new adventures. She knew that Matthew would be by her side through it all and she would be by his. She looked out into the audience and saw that he had moved through the crowd and was standing near the front of the stage.

I know that it's gonna take some time

I've got to admit that the thought has crossed my mind

This might end up like it should

And I'm gonna say what I need to say

And hope to god that it don't scare you away

Don't wanna be misunderstood

But I'm starting to believe that this could be the start of something good

A smile started to form as she sang. She couldn't help it. As she looked down into his hazel eyes, and he locked onto her, her heart burst with joy. Who knew that a year ago, as she was making that trek across the expanse of the U.S., that it would lead her on the journey that it did. That it would put her on the doorstep of the boy she had once loved.

Everyone knows life has its Ups and downs

One day you're on top of the world and one day you're the clown

Well I've been both enough to know

That you don't wanna get in the way when its working out

The way that it is right now

You see my heart i wear it on my sleeve

Cause I just can't hide it anymore

She could tell, from the way that he was looking at her, that he understood exactly what she was saying. Her smile grew. The man before her, the man that had held her hand through the messiness of the divorce. The man she had tried, unsuccessfully to push away. The man who had held firm and shown her just how much he cared for her. The boy she had once known had grown into the man she had only dreamed of. She loved him, she loved him so much and though she had yet to speak those three words out loud to him, she felt it. Her entire body felt it.

I know that it's gonna take some time

I've got to admit that the thought has crossed my mind

This might end up like it should

And I'm gonna say what I need to say

And hope to god that it don't scare you away

Don't wanna be misunderstood

But I'm starting to believe that this could be the start

The future was a vast unknown, but she wasn't scared of it. In fact, she was ready to embrace whatever it was that her future held. She knew that she wasn't alone. For once, she had friends by her side, friends who were willing to fight along with her. She wasn't sure where the chaos was going to take her, but she was ready to ride the wave and part of her craved the uncertainty of the future.

Cause I don't know where it's going

There's a part of me that loves not knowing

Just don't let it end before we begin

You never know when you're gonna meet someone

And your whole wide world in a moment comes undone

The venue grew quiet moments before it erupted in a thunderous applause. Her grin was beginning to hurt her cheeks, but she didn't care. She jumped down off the stage and allowed herself to be enveloped in Matthew's arms. His head dipped down, their lips meeting. His arms tightened around her and for a brief moment, they were the only two people in the expansive space. She felt instantly cold when his lips pulled away from hers, but his arms stayed protectively in their place.

"So, that song...interesting."

"Just interesting," Stephanie leaned in closer to his ear.

"I'm guessing that I'm going to have to be the one to say it...." Matthew pulled her closer.

"I love you Gubler," The words spilled from her mouth and she felt an instant relief. She'd been holding onto them for so long, for no reason other than fear, that it felt like a weight lifted to have them out in the open.

"And you stole my thunder," He giggled. His face grew serious and he leaned in even closer, "Thank you, for both songs. I know it wasn't easy for you to do that, in front of everyone, and I just want you to know that the effort of it isn't lost on me." He pressed his lips to hers once more, "I love you Stephanie, with everything in me."

I know that it's gonna take some time

I've got to admit that the thought has crossed my mind

This might end up like it should

And I'm gonna say what I need to say

And hope to god that it don't scare you away

Don't wanna be misunderstood

But I'm starting to believe

Oh I'm starting to believe that this could be the start of something good

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

94K 2K 58
A SPENCER REID LOVE STORY Spencer's POV: "There's something I have tell you all." Hotch wore an apprehensive look, but silenced, giving me the floo...
83.6K 3.3K 44
from the creator of Catch-22, comes the sequel, Front Lines.
60K 1.8K 39
★𝑺𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒕𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔 𝒂𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒉𝒐𝒓𝒓𝒊𝒇𝒊𝒄 𝒎𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒊𝒏 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒆, 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒒𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒊𝒇 𝒍𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒔...
289 38 21
Living a double life | Heather Jones leads 2 very different lives that are kept separated from each other, usually because one of them involves a sec...