Wild Rogues (third in lone wo...

By conleyswifey

She's on the run... They have to have her... because with twins she'll have twice the protection, twice the s... More

Wild Rogues
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Seven

34.6K 1.7K 63
By conleyswifey

Chapter Thirty-Seven

“What is their story?” Abbey asked Dawn and Dawn’s daughter Emily the next morning as they cleaned the breakfast mess from the kitchen and Abbey saw Maggie staring longingly at a Hunter named Roland while he walked toward the barns, seemingly determined not to look in her direction.

Dawn shrugged, “No one really knows what’s going on between them and they don’t talk about it. They both came to us as children. Maggie nearly died so Grange had to change her even though that’s dangerous for a child because they cannot control the wolf nearly as well as an adult can. Roland was never truly a child other than in age because he had been rescued from the Hunter council and they didn’t allow them to have childhoods there. We thought they were mates but it’s been a century and a half and they still aren’t together.”

“Roland is strange,” Emily added as she dried off a plate that Abbey had just finished rinsing. “He doesn’t talk much at all to anyone, he wanders off all the time and stays gone for months without accounting for where he’s been and he sleeps in a barn instead of a house when he is around.”

“He’s from a different time, Emily. You’re young and the three decades you have been around have been a lot different from when Roland was a child. That Hunting Council did terrible things to those boys.”

Emily nodded, “I know that, mom. But look at Brendon, Gilliam and Carson. They aren’t like him.”

“Yes and no one in the world is like your uncle Trig!” Trig exclaimed as with a lopsided grin as he came into the room and planted big kisses on the cheeks of all three women. Dawn swatted him playfully, Emily laughed but Abbey froze.

She stared at him with wide-eyes and he shook his head, “Might as well get used to it,” he urged. “I’m a touchy feely type.”

“Good to know.” Julian said with amusement as he entered the room with Tanner on his hip and Audrey holding his hand. “They want to go play in the barn.” he said to Abbey.

“Okay, that’s fine.’ Abbey replied. “Just make sure they wear a coat.”

Julian smiled and kissed her lips gently, “I will.”

Abbey bit her lip and then walked into the hallway motioning for Julian to come with her. The kids looked at them both questioningly but said nothing, “Have you seen, Marcus?” Abbey questioned, that pain in her heart intensifying.

“No,” Julian replied and Abbey could see that Marcus’s absence was hurting him as well. “I can’t contact him either. He’s ignoring me.”

“Why’s daddy ignoring you?” Audrey asked with a frown.

“He’s just busy, baby girl,” Abbey assured her daughter quickly. “Sometimes when grown ups get busy they ignore everything else.”

“Papa, let’s go! I wanna go see the horses!” Tanner urged, bouncing up and down on Julian’s hip.

“Duty calls,” Julian kissed her gently one more time before putting his lips to Abbey’s ear, “Don’t worry, sweetheart. Everything will work itself out.”

Abbey watched Julian and the kids walk away and swallowed hard. Was this the right thing to do? She and Julian had talked long and hard this morning. They had both agreed that leaving was the choice to make. Abbey wanted a pack, wanted the female companionship, the family ties that came with a pack. She wanted her kids to have those things. She wanted to work in the bakery and see just how far she could go with her new found talent. She knew in her heart that going with the pack was the right choice…..

But Marcus was tearing her heart out. He hadn’t come home. No one had seen him. She knew that the pack suspected something but no one had asked so far. As a matter of fact no one had even spoken about leaving.

Letting out a long, slow breath and tugging on her shirt, Abbey reentered the kitchen. Trig was gone and she found herself one again alone with Emily and Dawn.

“Is everything okay?” Dawn asked with concern.

Abbey met the other woman’s green eyes and knew that she couldn’t lie. Not only was Dawn her friend but she was also her Alpha (and she had no doubt heard the conversation that Abbey had just had with Julian).

“Julian and I have decided to come with you all.”

Dawn and Emily shared a look and Dawn sighed, “Only you and Julian? Where is Marcus?”

Abbey felt tears fill her eyes though she tried desperately to blink them back, “We don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Dawn asked gently. “When did he leave?”

“Last night when I told him I wanted to leave with the pack.” Abbey’s breath hitched in a sob. “He got angry told me he couldn’t do this anymore and that I was impossible and he left.”

“Track him down! I’m sure you could sniff him out,” Emily urged herewith a shake of her head. “No mate of mine would just walk away from me like that.”

“Hush, Emily.” Dawn scolded as Abbey’s tears broke loose and began to stream down her face. “Abbey, I’m sure he was only upset about the thought of leaving his home… that and because my other half basically told him he couldn’t keep you safe. Grange didn’t mean it the way it sounded but he’s not known for being very sensitive with his words.”

Abbey swiped at her tears and Dawn dried her hands quickly before pulling her into her arms and hugging her tightly. Abbey stiffened at first unsure of what to make of the contact but then she began to cry harder and relaxed against Dawn.

“Shh… It’s okay, Abbey. He’ll come around. I can talk to Grange about staying longer…”

“No,’ Abbey shook her head, sniffled and pulled away. “No, Julian and I have talked and we’ve decided that we want to come with you all. We’ll have to hire a truck to bring our belongings but we’re coming. It’s what’s best for the pups and I want the pack. I want to work at the bakery. I want to have the life that I want for once….” Abbey squeezed her fists tight and swallowed hard. “I just wish that Marcus wanted to be a part of it.”

Dawn glanced over Abbey’s shoulder and smiled. Abbey had no idea what she would be smiling about. She sniffed through her stopped up nose and swiped at her eyes once more.

“He does.”

Abbey froze at the sound of that strong, deep voice behind her. She turned slowly and the whimper that left her at the sight of Marcus standing in the kitchen was filled with tears. She ran to him, unable to control her own actions as she leapt into his arms, wrapped her legs around his waist and clung to him with desperation.

She buried her face in his neck, nuzzling him and soaking the collar of his black t-shirt with tears.

“Shh..Abbey.. Don’t cry, please. I don’t do tears well.” he begged her.

“I love you, Marcus.”

“I love you, little minx.”

Abbey was aware that Marcus was carrying her but she was so busy clinging to him that she didn’t pay any attention to where they were going until the cold air blasted against her as they stepped outside.

“Where are we going?”

“I want to talk to you about something and I want privacy to do it,” Marcus replied, his grip on her tightening. They walked into the tiny shed beside the cabin and Abbey whimpered her displeasure as Marcus sat her down on her feet.

“Marcus…”

“Let me talk,” Marcus cut her off. “I’m sorry for last night. I’m sorry for the way I treated you.”

“I thought you were saying you didn’t want me anymore, Marcus. I’ve never felt pain like that in my entire life… I can’t believe I put you through that pain twice…”

Marcus covered her mouth with his rough calloused hand and his brow furrowed as he frowned deeply, “What the hell are you talking about, you thought I meant I didn’t want you? Why would you think that?”

Abbey took his wrist and moved his hand from her mouth, though she didn’t release her hold on him, instead she stroked his wrist with her thumb, “Because you said you couldn’t do this anymore and I was impossible and then you walked out. Julian tried to tell me that you didn’t really mean you were done with me but I was crying too hard to listen…”

“Goddammit, Abbey!” Marcus pulled her into his arms and held her so tightly she could scarcely draw a breath but she voiced no complaint. “I’m not like Julian, Abbey. I’m not the type to sit down and talk my feelings out or to be so fuckin’ understanding and calm all the time. Sometimes my temper gets the better of me and I have to leave, take a run, calm down and sort out my thoughts. It’s just the way I am.” Marcus moved her away and traced her jaw with his knuckles. “I love you, you damned foolish woman. I’m not going to leave you now, or ever, for any reason, so you might as well forget that fear right here and now. I’m sorry that you still doubt me.”

Abbey saw the pain in his eyes and she bit her lip before rising on her toes and kissing his jaw. Marcus ducked his head down and captured her lips beneath his own.

The fire this man always caused to rage inside of her flamed to life and Abbey threw her arms around his neck and pressed her body long against his. Marcus put his hands on her hips and lifted her, bringing her closer and never breaking the contact of their lips.

Abbey was disappointed when he sat her down and took a step back moments later. She could see the passion in his eyes and they were both breathing heavily. “I want you, Marcus,” she whispered, placing her fingers on the waistband of his jeans.

Marcus cursed and stepped back. “Fuck, Abbey! I want you to but we need to talk first.”

“Talk?” Abbey smiled. “You’d rather talk?”

“I’m trying to be a mature adult who can rationally discuss things, you little minx, and you’re not helping,” Marcus snapped, ramming his hand through his hair.

Abbey nodded, fought back her amusement and took a step away from him. She folded her hands in front of her and tilted her head to the side, “Talk.”

“I think it’s great that you’ve found something you love to do, Abbey. I think it’s a damn good thing that you’re learning who you are and what you want after so many years of being a prisoner to that bastard I won’t bother to name. I love you and the only thing in this world that I truly want or need is for you and those pups to be happy. I’m not selling the house because I want a place for all of us to be able to come and be alone from time to time but I have a man I trust to run the place and I already talked to him. And there are a few horses I am bringing with me because I’m attached but the cattle and the rest of the horses will fetch good money and we’ll be able to build a home near the pack, any kind of home you’d like.”

“Are you sure, Marcus? Because last night….”

“Last night was about me realizing I’m not invincible, Abbey. Last night was me taking a major blow to my pride and realizing that life doesn’t revolve around me and how tough I think I am. Last night had nothing to do with you and I shouldn’t have made you feel like it did. Are you going to make me apologize again?”

Abbey felt happiness bubbling up within her, “No. No I won’t make you apologize again,” she assured him as her lips curved in a smile.

Marcus returned the smile, his blue eyes sparkling with happiness, “But one more thing,” he said quickly.

“What?”

“Don’t assume the worst of me all the time, okay?”

“I didn’t…” Abbey quickly denied but he nodded.

“Yes you did.”

“Well you gave me good reason to think you were leaving for good last night with what you said,” Abbey insisted defensively.

“Okay,” Marcus took her hands. “New deal is that from now on you don’t assume the worst and I don’t give you a reason to. Does that work for you?”

“That works for me.”

Marcus gave her that toothy grin of his and ran his knuckles across her shoulder and then down her side, letting his touch linger against her breast, “Then get that sexy ass back over here and let’s continue where we left off a minute ago.”

Abbey was quick to throw herself into his arms. The man certainly didn’t have to tell her twice.

***

Julian stepped out of the barn with the pups and saw Marcus and Abbey stepping out of the shed. Abbey was readjusting her shirt and Julian couldn’t help but smile. It seemed they’d settled their differences just like Julian had known they would.

“Daddy!” Tanner and Audrey exclaimed in unison as they rushed over and leapt into Marcus’s arms.

“Where were you this morning?” Audrey asked with a pout. “I missed you at breakfast.”

Marcus gave her a small, guilty smile and kissed her brow, “I’m sorry you missed me. I was taking care of some things.”

“What things?” Julian asked.

“I was setting up a moving truck to haul our stuff to the town Grange lives close to up in Alaska and I was hiring a truck to take our favorite horses too. I had to talk to Ernest because he’s going to keep an eye on our house, oversee the sale of the rest of the horses and cattle and make sure this place doesn’t fall to the ground. I want us to still have this house and this land….”

“So you’re done throwing your temper?” Julian questioned.

Marcus glared at him, “It wasn’t a temper, Julian. We built this fuckin’ place from the ground up and worked our asses off to do it. And it wasn’t an easy to pill to swallow to learn that I need help from a pack to keep those I love safe. I’m not the calm, cool and collected brother, remember?”

“Yeah I remember,” Julian replied. <And if you ever make her sick and cry like that again I will forget all about being the calm, cool and collected brother and I will kick your hot-headed ass like you’ve never had it kicked before. Understood?>

<Shit… she got that upset?>

<Yeah you jackass.> Julian growled. <She got that upset.>

Marcus leaned over and kissed Abbey’s hair and Julian could smell his brother’s guilt and pain and it helped ease some of his own temper toward the idiot.

“So are we moving to ‘Laska?” Audrey questioned, grabbing Marcus’s ear and forcing him to turn his head to face her.

“Yes,” Marcus replied with a laugh. “Yes we’re gonna move to Alaska.”

“They got mooses there!” Tanner exclaimed happily. “Can I pet a moose?”

Julian laughed as he took Tanner from Marcus’s arms and the five of them made their way toward the house, “Sure, Tanner.”

“That’ll be our first priority,” Marcus added. “Finding Tanner a moose.”

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 105K 199
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
959K 23.1K 43
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
355K 10.7K 35
Alpha twins Helena and Heather have defined all odds. They were born healthy, they didn't have any growth problems, and they were just as mischievous...
234K 6.7K 31
Let me introduce myself: hello, I am Rue. And this is my life. I am alpha of my pack meaning I have control over everything, expect when one day I di...