Distance (Louis Tomlinson)

By horansnutella

"If hidden objects are to remain hidden, then what is there to find?" More

prologue
one
two
three
four

five

135 46 13
By horansnutella

Cassie Evans

How is it possible for someone to spend half an hour in the bathroom?

Louis, you seriously need to learn the best five-minute hairstyles, I reprimand him in my mind, picturing his defensive expression.

Well, what about you? He would reply snarkily. You take more time than I do.

Yes, but I'm a girl, I would argue back, smirking at him, is there something you're not telling us, Louis?

I smile at the thought of finally winning one of our arguments, but it slowly fades.

Where is that stupid medicine, anyways?

I groan, rummaging through my small cosmetics bag. But I soon figure out that I can't find that little pill package even if I tried.

Finally, I eye the package in a peculiar spot, on the top shelf.

I never would have put it there. The shelf is way too high out of my reach.

But it must be mine; I don't know anyone else with my condition.

I stand on the sink to get the container, instantly wishing I had Harry's height. Or, even Louis's would do; as he already probably figured out.

In victory, my palm grasps the box of pills in one hand and the solid marble in the other. Examining the required dosage on the back, I see yet another green stickytab.

I pull it off and examine the contents, only to find that it is not, indeed, mine.

A light green sticky tab is taped ever so carefully to the back and I don't hesitate to read a few words.

#8

You left me to fend for myself, Louis. Don't ever make the same mistake, with any girl. Ever.

- E

What the hell?

Louis Tomlinson

Green. Green. Green.

All I can see is that horrific color. It gives me a disgusting form of nausea.

But then again, I can't escape. I open my eyes to find myself trapped in a claustrophobic room with solid green walls, the exact shade of Eleanor's note.

I slam my leg against one wall, my arm against another. They are tough and hard, but not enough to hurt me.

But I can't give up.

I wasn't trained to just give up.

Suddenly, Niall's favorite color has turned into a nightmare in my eyes.

I continue to fight against the getting-smaller space, but I already know that my energy is being wasted.

"Now you know how I feel, Louis." Eleanor whispers from somewhere behind me.

"Eleanor!" I exclaim, reaching out to her gratefully.

Thank God she's here.

But as I wrap my arms around her to comfort the both of us, she won't budge.

Her figure is rather ghostly, pale and plain. She never was a fan of standing out, but this is different.

Scary, even.

"How are we going to get out of here?" I ask her, beginning to sense something out of place.

For example, where even are we?

"I don't know, Louis. You tell me."

I wake up shaking in a small pile on the floor and curse.

Really, Louis? Is this what you've come to, dreaming about your ex-girlfriend and yourself trapped in a box?

Isn't there anything else you can think of right now?

The answer? Naturally, no. Not now. Not after that.

I'm not gonna lie- the supposed note from Eleanor scared the shit out of me. But that's pretty low, considering that I don't even know if it's real or not.

Who am I kidding, it isn't real. It can't be.

Eleanor is fine. She's safe.

I think.

See, that's the scary part. I don't know.

But if this is just a fan playing a joke on me, I will seriously kill myself. And them, too.

But I know that writing, as much as I don't fancy admitting it.

Eleanor did write that note.

And she said there would be others.

Others.

Without thinking, I reach for my phone to dial Eleanor's number, only to realize I deleted it post-breakup.

Dammit. I need to see if she's okay, crazy as it sounds.

I check the electronic clock on the bedside table- it says it's about 12:15. Everyone should be asleep by now, because of the time difference.

I wonder what's keeping everyone up.

I search Zayn's bags in the corner of the small bedroom for his cell phone before realizing A: He probably has it with him, wherever he is and B: He probably doesn't have Eleanor's number either.

I have no choice but to show my face to the general public (also known as my closest friends), even if they will ask why I am in such a frantic, unnerved state.

Slowly, I creak open the door and peer out. Anna is sound asleep on the couch with Niall and Zayn, Liam, Cassie, and Molly are crowded around the bathroom.

The sight of these two women and some of my bandmates is comforting. It reminds me that, whatever happens, I will never be alone.

Even if I want to be, I won't be.

As I approach them, their expressions appear more concerned and confused. Cassie's beautiful grey eyes follow mine as I take another step forward into the bathroom, glancing at me skeptically.

"Louis, I believe this is yours," she whispers, holding me a green sticky note much like the one in my toiletry bag.

My stomach is in a big, knotted wad as I open it cautiously, slowly. I'm not even sure I want to know what it says, not after the first one...

I let the worlds engulf me, too weak to fight them. I try to digest Eleanor's message and what it could possibly mean over the course of the next five minutes; everyone staring at me intently.

I have no choice but to try and decode the meaning in my head; as reluctant as my stubborn plea for innocence is.

Left her? No way, I never left her side when she needed me.

Lie.

While you were on tour, you idiot.

While you were off having fun, traveling, making money, and meeting girls, your girlfriend might have needed your help more than ever and you might've never known it.

What hasn't Eleanor told me in the last couple of years?

Because I now realize that it isn't about what she said when she was with me.

It's about what she didn't.

She always told me she was fine, and I was stupid enough to believe her.

Hadn't I thought it suspicious when I always got the same response, day after day?

My throat slowly closes.

I guess I didn't. I was too oblivious.

I turn the sticky note over and over in my palm, driven into insanity.

Number 8.

That means that there are still 1-7 to discover, let alone if there is any more she had the decency to leave behind for me.

But. Number 8.

If it's number eight, what are 1-7?

Which one was I supposed to read first?

I try to process this in my head.

I was obviously supposed to find the note in my bag first... Right?

I didn't see any numbers on it... Were those the rules?

The instructions on how to play her game?

I'm sure number one was strategically placed; somewhere she knew I would look next.

But either way, I didn't find number eight.

Cassie did.

Does that mean we messed up her order?

Because if that is how her game works, whatever I was supposed to find first, I didn't.

"Shit." I mutter, folding up the note into one tiny square. "Anyone happen to still have El-Eleanor's number?"

Liam and Sophia exchange nervous glances with Zayn and Cassie, looking kind of scared.

"I do." Sophia offers slowly, reaching across the counter for her Samsung smartphone.

"Thank God." I rub my eyes, pulling out my own.

A couple of taps to her white iPhone later, her mouth drops open. "I could've sworn it was here."

So... What does that mean?

I rack my brain for any possible explanation. None come.

Sophia tries again, sliding her finger across her screen frantically. "Umm, Louis, it's not here... It must have been deleted or something."

It's not here.

It must have been deleted.

Or something.

Those words repeat in my head, over and over. They won't stop circling and circling; it's exactly like in my dream.

But this isn't just a dream. It's a fucking nightmare.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

206K 9.6K 31
Desperate for money to pay off your debts, you sign up for a program that allows you to sell your blood to vampires. At first, everything is fine, an...
1.3M 56.3K 103
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
1M 63.6K 119
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
193K 6.8K 96
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...