Criminal

De AurrieEls

"Love...it's often found in the most unlikely places." What happens when a pristine girl meets the low-life... Mai multe

Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter One

1.3K 16 3
De AurrieEls

Chapter One 

Have you ever had the moment of realization that you absolutely didn’t belong somewhere?

I looked around, the familiar sweep of my long hair against my neck gone as it was pulled up into a sock bun. I was uncomfortable in the tight gold dress with a million little embellishments plastered all over it, but I wore it for him. My fiancé, Cole. The man who, currently, was blabbing his mouth about something that ruled his world since his birth. Politics. I was tuned out, looking around the room. 

We were at a party, one for the fancy people that I had no business being around. I was uncomfortable because I didn’t belong, watching as women with scowls on their faces were led my their dapper, stuck-up husbands around the room, patrolling the area for a good controversial topic. Fine china littered the tables with expensive white cloths draped over them, men in white tux’s skirting around the crowd with trays of De Blanc. I felt the corners of my mouth tip down into a frown, my mood stooping lower and lower. 

I felt a sharp pain my elbow, and I was pivoted around to face my seething fiance. His blue eyes were cold and hard, something I’d noticed over the past few months. His pearly whites gleamed as he gave me a sneer, some of his gelled black hair falling in his eyes. “Would it hurt you to actually pay attention once in a while. Wipe that terrible little scowl off your face and look like you’re happy to be here.” He spat, nearly foaming by his mouth. Though I was used to the blow-ups, I still gave a gasp of surprise and felt the tears prick my eyes. I snatched my arm back, mumbling something about going to the rest room. 

I made my way out of the giant room, walking into another grand room-the hallway. I darted past the new-comers and into the bathroom, shutting myself inside. This place would easily fit ten of my little flats, and I was overwhelmed. I wanted to go home, and I wanted to get away. Cole and I were over, I could pretty much tell you that, but I just didn’t know how to tell him. 

I looked in the giant mirror and wiped away the one tear that managed its way out. I wouldn’t cry, not over this. I was building up my courage to storm out and tell him just exactly how I felt when there was a banging on the door. I took a deep breath and made my way over, opening it. An angry old woman was on the other side, and she sneered at me before pushing past. Shaking my head, I walked back into the other room. 

I was shocked at the first thing I saw. Cole was towering over a giggling blonde, her long, model-esque body scantily clad in a red number. I scoffed, feeling my blood start to boil. How dare he cheat on me, and I was in the other room! 

I composed myself, holding my chin up and making my way over to them. “You aren’t working the street corner tonight?” I said hotly, narrowing my eyes at the girl. I really didn’t care-she could have him after two minutes, but this was just blatant disrespect. Her mouth dropped open, and I clenched my fists by my sides. Cole’s face contorted into shock, then anger. He grabbed me by my upper arm, and I let out a sound of protest. “Sorry about this.” He said to the girl, flashing her a flirtatious smile. 

He hauled me out the back doors, pushing me forward. My sight was obscured, as it was dark and I was now staring at gravel a foot below my face. I felt the pain in my hands and knees, but I could only focus on it for a second before I was dragged up again. “Get. Off. Me!” I shouted, struggling to break free. “Oh, no, bitch. I’m not done with you yet.” He said, and I spat in his face, scared to death. He gave me an incredulous look, and then there was a stinging pain in the side of my face. I fell to the ground, holding my cheek as the tears sprang to my eyes. Then I heard a grunt of protest, so I turned my head to look. 

I saw a boy with a head full of nearly-tamed curls on top of Cole, punching him ruthlessly. I could see the rippling muscles beneath the white t-shirt of this man’s shirt, pulled taunt as he straddled Cole and raised his fist to throw another punch. Cole shouted out as it made contact with his face, and a few more were added. I stood helplessly to the side, too terrified and captivated to do anything but stare. 

Cole was out three punches later, and this mystery guy rose to his feet, wiping his hand on the apron tied around his waist. I took in his stature-athletic build, long legs, easily over six-foot, black motorcycle boots and dark jeans. He turned around and pinned me the most dangerous eyes I’d ever seen. 

They were a crystal emerald that I could make out even in the dim light of the torches along the building. Then I saw his plump pink lips, my eyes roaming around his tanned, almost Italian-like face. I scanned him, taking in his tattoos and his rings, appreciating the way he stood….

No. This guy was a stranger. A dangerous one at that. There was no way in hell I was even thinking he was attractive. He could kill me with a flick of his wrist, more than likely. But the way he looked at me…I doubted it. “Are you alright?” He asked, his voice deep and morbid and sending a desire ricocheting through me. I choked on my spit, but managed a nod, though my cheek stung and my hand was clamped around my upper arm. He lifted one perfect, dark brow, stepping closer. He inclined his head, a gesture that stated May I? All I could do was give a curt nod, and pull my hand away. 

The tall stranger stepped right in front of me, placing his rough hand on my arm. He was so close that I could smell him-a cross between something a little sweet and something spicy. His hands were calloused, and his brow furrowed as he studied the bruise. “You’re going to have a nasty bruise for the next few days. How is your face?” He asked, his fingers tilting my chin to the side. 

I pushed his hands away, blushing and feeling a bit violated and vulnerable. “It’s fine. Did you see what happened?” Something flashed in his eyes, and he took one small step back. “I did. That’s why I kicked his ass.” He grumbled, and I nodded, my heart fluttering. “Thank you. I’m Claire.” I said, holding my hand out for him to shake. I thought I saw a flicker of a smile, but it was gone before I could even think about it. “I’m Harry. Was that your boyfriend?” He asked, flicking his head in the direction of the unconscious Cole, his eyes never leaving me. He crossed his arms over his chest, his muscles bulging. “Fiance. Ex-fiance.” I tacked on at the end, glaring at him. Thinking about that fact, I grabbed the ring on my left hand and twisted it off, throwing it at him. It landed on his chest, where it would stay. Tears blurred my vision, but I swiped at them angrily. 

“You alright?” Harry’s voice was soft as he asked the question again, and I nodded. “He’s just an asshole, that’s all. He dragged me here even though I don’t belong. I don’t know what I ever saw in him! He was just using me as a charity case! He cheated on me tonight, and I know he’s done it before! God, I’m so stupid!” I unloaded on him, finally exploding. I hadn’t had anyone to talk to for the past year and a half, since Cole severed all my ties with my friends. Harry watched me as I paced, his expression unreadable. I spoke a few more venomous words before I finished with a huff. He made sure I done before he spoke. “Was that the first time he’s laid a hand on you?” I didn’t know why he was concerned, but I held his gaze as I nodded. “Yes. It was.” 

Harry nodded, then looked over at Cole. “Do you have any way to get home? I know you probably don’t want to stay.” I blanched at the idea that he was offering, if he even was, but I wasn’t going to lie. I was stranded. We’d been picked up in a limo, and it would take a cab a good thirty minutes to get here. “No, I don’t.” I said, my eyes flicking to the gravel before going back to his face. I thought I saw a flicker of something in them, but I couldn’t tell. “Would you like me to drive? I just got off.” He said, hooking a thumb over his shoulder in the direction of the kitchen exit. That would explain the apron. 

“I don’t know…” I said, not really fond of the idea of getting a ride with a stranger that could obviously take advantage of me. “You think I’d take advantage of you, Angel?” He asked, cocking his head to the side. I hugged my middle. “Well, yes, sort of. You just knocked him out and you don’t have a scratch!” I started, then locked my eyes on him. “Wait a minute, did you just call me Angel?” I demanded. “I won’t hurt you, promise. Scout’s Honor.” He said, and I glared. “I don’t like that. Don’t call me that.” I honestly didn’t mind nicknames, but the way he said it….I was blushing in the dark. He wiped a hand down his mouth to rid it of the grin, but it was too late. “It stays. My offer for the ride is still on the table.” He said, and bent down to retrieve a leather jacket I hadn’t noticed before. He shook the dust off, shooting me a look that said Well? I sighed, knowing I’d rather him than a snotty little brat do it. Truth was, I was skeptical, and that’s why I was scared. He shrugged into the jacket, then untied the apron around his waist. Sighing, I let out a small nod. “Yes, I would appreciate that.” I said, and he gave me a glimpse of a grin. 

He led the way around the side of the building, and then swung himself onto a gleaming black and silver motorcycle. I stopped dead, my eyes widening as he looked at me, holding a helmet out for me to take. “Uhhhh…” I said, images of crashing and dying flashing through my mind. He lifted his eyebrows, pushing the helmet at me. “What are you waiting for?” He asked, and my mouth went dry. “Um, is this, um, is it dangerous?” I asked, finally accepting the helmet. “If you’re asking if I can drive it, then yes.” He said, patting the seat behind him. Feeling the color drain from my face, I grabbed the band securing my hair. I let it fan down my shoulders, unaware of the fact that Harry’s pink tongue darted out to wet his lips as he watched me. I strapped the helmet on, swinging on behind him and becoming increasingly away of how close I was to him. I was also away of how my dress was inching higher and higher up my thigh. He steadied the bike, kicking up the stand and starting it. I jumped, clutching him around his chest from behind as I only had an inch of fabric between my fingers to start with. My thighs tightened around him, and I blushed, but I wasn’t letting up anytime soon. “Where do you live?” He asked, the rumble of his voice passing through my chest that was against his back. “Willowdale! Don’t you need a helmet?” I yelled over the roar of the bike. His head turned slightly, a smirk touching his mouth. “Better me than you, Angel.” He said back, and then we shot off into the dark. 

*****

Thirty minutes later we pulled up in front of my apartment building, and Harry guided the bike into a spot by the doors. He swung off first, and then helped me. I stood in front of him, wobbling slightly on my heels as I tugged at the chin strap. He watched me amusedly, and I finally got it off. I shoved it at his chest a little harder than necessary, blowing out a sharp breath. “That thing is a death trap.” I huffed, and he chuckled. “But you made it here alive, right?” He contradicted, and I narrowed my eyes at him. 

I made my way to the front of the building, pulling out my little clutch that I hadn’t let out of sight all night. I pulled my key card out, rounding on Harry. He watched me with his pretty eyes that I could see better in the lobby light, his hands shoved in his pockets. “Thank you, Harry.” I said, Cole’s face flashing through my mind. Harry nodded, wetting his lips. “Got everything?” He asked, and I nodded, sticking the key-card in the door and pushing it open. I turned when I was over the threshold, eyeing Harry. “Why did you defend me?” I asked bluntly, voicing the question that had haunted me on the ride over. He thought about the question a moment, then gave me a lazy look. “Because he hit you. And I don’t like that, Angel.” His voice sent a shiver down my spine. “Oh, right.” I said it so softly, it almost came out as a whisper. Harry nodded curtly, then turned to walk away. “Thanks again, Harry!” I called out, and he stopped and looked at me. “You’re welcome, Claire.” “Um, drive safe.” I added, sounding as awkward as I felt. I got that almost-smile again, and he nodded before making the rest of the walk to the bike. 

I didn’t go back inside until he’d made it out on the highway. I walked up to the elevator, feeling slightly light-headed. What a night. I rode all the way up to my floor, then went inside my apartment. I locked my door before kicking off my heels and setting my clutch down. I went through tonight, and surprisingly, I felt no loss for Cole. My life had revolved around him for nearly two years, and now I had it back. I was mine. I was relieved.

And then my thoughts were captured by Harry. Immediately I found myself wondering over everything that I didn’t know about him. Everything that I found myself wanting to know about him. A complete stranger, in one night, had more impact on me than most people my whole life. When we were on the bike, and I was pressed against him, there was an undeniable electricity racing through me that had nothing to do with the engine. 

My apartment was sort of small, but moderate sized. I lived on the second to top floor, in one of the larger flats. It had one bedroom, a huge living room and kitchen, a study, and two bathrooms. I'd decorated it with darker wood, painted the walls red, and just gave it a homey feel. Candles were almost always burning, and I liked it that way. The place was nice. It was mine. 

I walked past the kitchen and down the hall to my room. I flipped on the lights, sighing. I pulled the earrings out of my ears and shrugged out of the dress, pulling out pajamas. I went to the bathroom that was attatched to my room on the east wall, across from the windows on the wall over-looking the city, cleaning the make-up off of my face and brushing through my hair. I slid my glasses onto my face, then climbed into bed. I grabbed my book off the nightstand even though I knew I was going to get nowhere with this stupid thing. All I could think about was my bizarre night, so I gave up on focusing and clicked off the light. I laid down, evening out my breathing. 

But every time I closed my eyes, Harry’s face flashed across my eyelids. 

Continuă lectura

O să-ți placă și

11.3K 235 19
Three killers. Three girls. Will any survive?
1.1K 26 17
What happens when Elise meets the biggest boy band in the world but things soon go wrong when the bad boy wanted turn up !! Will Harry styles be the...
331K 7.5K 47
[COMPLETED] It is well known that the world isn't a nice place. There are too many people and not enough humanity. Emma learns this very quickly when...
9.5K 93 17
Amber's heart is broken. To the point where she is almost beyond repair. Harry Styles meets Amber, and imeadiatly is attracted to her. But can Amber...