Sickly, Sweet - Book One

Від HannahPatrixia

~ Complete~ You can spend decades trying to find your purpose and identity and never find it. I didn't know w... Більше

Sickly, Sweet
Ch. 1 - Winter Dance
Ch. 2 - Lovebites
Ch. 3 - Double Agent
Ch. 4 - Dead End
Ch. 5 - Chained
Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun
Ch. 7 - Monsters
Ch. 8 - Impossible
Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can
Ch. 10 - Falling
Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats
Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass
Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?
Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal
Ch. 15 - Temptations
Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand
Ch. 17 - Innocent Victims
Ch. 19 - Half-Alive
Ch. 20 - Written in Bone
Ch. 21 - Reborn
Ch. 22 - Heartless
Ch. 23 - Breathless
Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far
Ch. 25 - The Truth
Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis
Ch. 27 - Raise the Dead
Ch. 28 - Starving
Ch. 29 - Typical
Ch. 30 - Captive
Ch. 31 - Bound
Ch. 32 - Lust
Ch. 33 - Tick Tock
Ch. 34 - Never Leave
Ch. 35 - Power
Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons
Ch. 37 - Kitten
Ch. 38 - Fire
Ch. 39 - Life and Death
Ch. 40 - Secrets
Ch. 41 - Thick
Authors Note + Cover Sneak Peek ;)
Ch. 42 - The Faces of War
Ch. 43 - Dare
Ch. 44 - Hard To Believe
Ch. 45 - Revival
Ch. 46 - It's Not Over
Bittersweet - Teaser
RATH FANS(ANNOUNCEMENT)

Ch. 18 - Barely Human

39.4K 1.5K 302
Від HannahPatrixia

'Funny, you're the broken one but I'm the only one who needed saving.'
Stay by Rihanna

***

I had to hinder myself from reacting immaturely and violently at his offer. The words from his mouth passed through my eardrums like wind - quick and cool. It was enough to raise hairs on my skin. It took a momentous exchange of words to get me to agree.

We arrive at the best restaurant in town. It was a stark contrast from the rest of the dilapidated town. From here, I could smell the sweet nectar fresh from the veins of poor humans. Only the wealthy incarcerated creatures could afford such lavish dining in Talmira. Again, eyes were set on me, but once they noticed the vampire by my side their expressions change. They respect him.

A striking hostess approaches us and Valentine leans in to whisper something in her ear. She nods once and bids us to follow. The restaurant was dimly lit and comfortable. From my observation, we were heading towards a private section of the restaurant, intended for intimacy. I look down at my clothing and somehow feel underdressed. I suggested to change but Valentine claimed this would suffice.

"Just what shall we call this...lovely affair?" I say while sitting down across from him. Candles light his face with a warm glow, supposedly giving us an unnecessary romantic ambiance.

"We can call it anything you want," his voice was low and husky and I wondered if dining with him was the right decision.

I rest my elbows on the table and weave my fingers together. "Well, it's not a date, that much I know."

He counters my actions with his own by leaning forward, over the table, barely grazing the flames with his hand. His gaze locks firmly with mine. Specks of gold dance in his irises as he comes closer. "Then, it isn't a date," he says softly. His gaze slowly falls to my lips. "Just a simple dinner between two civilized vampires."

"I think 'civilized' is an improper term for our relationship."

He raises a brow and tilts his head. "By all means, sweetheart, enlighten me."

"An accurate term would be discord or dissonance, whatever is more despicable," I enunciate each consonant in vain, hoping to emphasize my aversion to our estranged relationship. He smiles and flashes his sharp fangs at my hatred towards our assembly.

"I beg to differ," he smirks. "I think we are more than acquainted."

I scoff. "We're complete opposites, Valentine, we're nowhere near friends."

"Haven't you heard? They say opposites attract." He gives me a smug smile and gives me a wink. It's inevitable, the way people with stark differences are drawn to each other in immense ways. Yet, somehow, when they become one, they become similar.

My heart beat elevates and warmth circulates my body. I could smell the mint rolling off him mixed with the tang of blood. Our banter was interrupted when a waiter comes in with a glasses of wine and blood. My mouth waters suddenly and I feel the pang of my hunger and thirst. I retract my body to give way for the precious liquid.

I lift a glass and Valentine watches me closely as if I were to do something out of the ordinary. But what is ordinary? He takes the blood and mixes it with his wine. I use the moment to commence a different conversation with him.

"You look at me as if you know something I don't," I say while twisting the goblet in my hand.

"I was just admiring you, it's quite captivating," his voice was deep and penetrating making my heart pound harder against my chest.

I sigh and lick my lips. "I know that's not the sole reason," I say. "You are full of secrets, Valentine, and I intend to know all of them."

"How, do you suppose, to accomplish your feat?" He leans closer. Our faces only a breaths width away.

"By being completely honest with me. In turn, I will keep my end of the bargain to help you in this bloody charade. I might even consider staying alive."

He stares longingly into my eyes and for a moment I am lost in his. It was a concrete connection between us, one if interrupted, could never be duplicated. Of course, it had to be broken to allow a little amusement. He narrow his eyes. "Are you trying to blackmail me?"

"I don't know, is it working?" I smirk.

"Slightly." He didn't even have to tell me for me to know that he was being honest, his expression gave it quite clearly. There are things, though, that can't be expressed through actions. "You know, all things between us don't have to be based on an agreement."

I take a sip of wine and savor the taste on my tongue. Where is he going with this? "So, you're saying you'd be honest with me even without negotiation?"

"I have been honest with you, Saphira," he hums. "All you need to do is ask the right questions."

I inhale deeply through my nostrils. "How will I know if you're telling the truth?"

"You're a human lie detector, sweetheart. You'll know." He sits comfortably on his chair crosses his arms. His muscles flex and I avert my eyes to keep my head straight. "Although, I will take your offer of you staying alive. Why the sudden change of heart?"

Every waking moment is a new adventure with Valentine. I have begun to see things in a different much clearer perspective. Most of all, I have seen him in ways I never thought I would with a man. You only live once, so, why have I blindly turned my back on what life had to offer? What about us? Should I be honest about my feelings and lift us somewhere higher?

"Let's just say I was influenced to change my views. Maybe living in this world isn't so bad. Why so keen on me staying alive?" Was now the right time to ask these questions? Will I be satisfied with what he has to say?

"I would like to spend more time with you, sweetheart. You have captured me in ways I cannot fathom. Believe it or not, I like having you by my side. I'm afraid there is more to this story, but I am not the one to tell you it will have to come from...someone else." His tone was lulling and smooth as silk. My heart drops at his comment and my hands start to shake. I didn't have to put effort to know that he was speaking from his heart. "Is that honest enough for you?"

We were hitting each other with striking and painful questions - always in battle, never claiming peace.

A waiter comes in and sets a plate brimming with a favorite dish of mine, which made me realize how much I missed it. I give him a suspicious glance. Only one person alive knows the food I like, and she's captive in Valentine's basement. "A little too honest, I admit, but it's appreciated."

"Now I'm being too honest?" Valentine scoffs. He had a playful look on his face. One that I want to see laugh and smile.

I narrow my eyes at him. This could last forever. A conversation on this subject could never end as long as we're both sitting here, which I am growing to like. The fleeting thought of having a life with him prods me for acceptance. I don't know if I am capable of loving as I have before.

"I'm pretty sure your infatuation with me is because of our 'bond,' as you say. Some things are not real," I stuffed a rare piece of meat in my mouth and savored the delicious taste.

"I could show you proof, if that will please you," he offers. Valentine exposes his wrist and punctures it. His blood hits me like a freight train and I almost cave - it's pungent smell made my instincts take over. He was willing to let me feel and see him through his blood - which glistened with the tale of unspoken truth. I turn my head to break the onslaught of sweet blood against my thirst and hunger. The longer his wrist ran red the more it became harder to resist. From my peripherals, red spots stain the tablecloth where the royal liquid drips. He notices my discomfort and wipes the blood away with a napkin.

Valentine places his hand on the table and continues to stare at me. His searing gaze lingered on my skin and swallowed me whole. The warmth that spread on my skin felt like his own hands were slowly stroking and running down my limbs. I take a sharp intake of breath and shiver when if feel a brush of fingers against my cheek. I try my best to ignore the crackling heat building under my skin for the remainder of the so-called date.

Once we were finished, we were out of the door in seconds. Valentine, with a hand on my lower back, directs me past his car as we walk. I give him a confused glance and he leans into my ear. "I want to show you something," he whispers and I shudder lightly when his breath licks the edge of my ears.

Valentine was leading me toward the mountainside. I didn't know where he has been taking me and lately, it has been just that. I merely expect two outcomes - to show me what I have been missing or introduce me to a strand of his past, however small. It's a dark and gloomy night - the clouds covering all sight of the mysterious heavens, which I like. The air, a breezy temperature that lightly tickles my skin, sweeps past us and collides with the unearthly trees by the canyon. A cove is easily identifiable as we come closer and my curiosity rises a few notches. This was how the town received it's name.

As we continue, trees become larger and compact and the ground starts to turn a luminous color with ever step we take. A delightful ambiance hits me with force and a smile curves on my lips. This is different - very peaceful and radiant. I blink my eyes to make sure I was witnessing everything correctly and that I was not imagining all of this.

"Am I dreaming?" I say, incredulously.

A pair of warm hands stop me mid-stride and I inhale sharply as Valentine gently pulls me against him. Taken by surprise, my heart drops dramatically at his rhythmic voice as we stop in the middle of the clearing surrounded by trees. "Keep your eyes open, wouldn't want to miss anything," he whispers and then speaks in a different language. His request was hard to follow due to the beautiful and unintelligible words that flow out of his mouth.

The sound of rushing waters mingle with his voice and the trees rustle with their own song. It was beautifully bizarre - a mix of various sounds and voices so sweet and still. Valentine's chant stops and sprites emerge from the shadows providing blue and silver light. My attention deviates as water flows from multiple points and meet together in the middle of the clearing creating pool of silver water.

"What is this place?" I ask as I look up into the canopy of trees. Strong magic and incantations held the place together, keeping it sacred and hollow.

"Lavare Immortalis - a place where all kingdoms of the underworld come together. The waters run from each kingdom, representing both our differences and similarities," he explains with his arms still around me. Goosebumps riddle my bare skin. I was quite content with the way we were at the moment and I had to wonder why.

"Why am I feeling like this?" He glances down at me, knowing exactly what feelings I was referring to.

He turns my body to face him. "We are one here, all creatures are at peace once they step foot within its walls. Differences are set aside and only feelings of friendship are felt, even love."

"Love," I step closer to touch my leg against his. "Is a strong word." He slightly raises his brow at the unexpected closeness of our bodies, especially from me. I lean close to whisper in his ear and I feel the hairs on his cheek brush against my face. "But in my world, it does not exist."

He grabs my wrist and warm, tingling feeling erupts in my palms and in the soles of my feet. Valentine's warm fingers trail down my palm and he presses his own against mine. I feel the satisfying sensation of my heart drumming against my chest and throat. "Then come into mine. I could show you how to love again."

"Did you take me here to seduce me, Valentine?"

"I don't know, is it working?" He reciprocates the same answer I gave him earlier. He grins and I feel the rumble of a chuckle deep in his chest.

"A little, but it may just be the air." I smirk and bite my lip. I feel so light, so happy. I haven't felt this in over a hundred years. Should I thank the amiable atmosphere or Valentine's surprising kindness? "So, tell me, what makes the Pool of Immortals special?"

"Well, why don't we find out?" He guides me toward the body of water that reflects the glowing stars and sprites on the surface. Water from seven points trickle down like liquid metal and into a dip in the earth. He crouches down to dip his hand in the water. "The grand council consists of royals from each monarchy, acting as an advocate for their people. With great power, the first council agreed to a treaty to keep peace and balance with all inhabitants. This pool is the source of all life and order in the underworld, without it there is no peace and there is no us."

I follow his actions and squat down to see my own sullen expression in the water. I frown at my depthless eyes and continue to take his words in, no matter how sacred they were. The Kingdoms of the Underworld include Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Fairyfolk, Merfolk, Nephilim and Demons. They are make up the strongest world that is parallel to human existence. Each Kingdom is adjacent to one another with barriers in between to keep balance and order.

"The treaty is renewed once every century. Each council member gathers here to make a harmonious covenant which has been kept for over a millennia. A vote must be unanimous - once a member deviates from the agreement, the council must reconsider new terms, which means the underworld will be under one dominion until a new law is established," he pauses to look at me. "They say only those with a righteous purpose can find this sanctuary. Those who seek without direction are turned away and are left with no memory of their search."

I turn to him and raise a brow. "I'm surprised we were granted access unless you consider this 'date' a righteous purpose."

He laughs lightly and I do the same. "They must like us then, otherwise we'd be walking back with no recollection of what happened."

"Well, then, we should leave a lasting impression." My head felt light as Valentine assists me in rising from the crouched position. Here, I feel alive. For the first time, I feel almost human. It's as if the beautiful garden was allowing me to experience what I need, even for a small moment.

I must admit, since meeting Valentine I have discovered more about myself than I ever knew. But of all this time, and all these words, I still don't know who Valentine is and it may take more than badgering questions and sly moves to figure him out. Maybe he'll allow me into his mind when all of this is over.

The rush of a thousand winds knock me off of my feet and I give a small yelp as my feet are no longer touching the ground. He's taking advantage of my good mood and stellar attitude. "What's happening?"

Valentine smiles through his and takes my hand in his. "I'm going to take you out of here." A sensation of fluttering wings surges through my body starting from my cheeks, making me shiver in delight. He pulls me toward him as we rise a few feet above the ground. "Close your eyes," he says lowly. His hands were on my waist and my feet on his as we pull higher into the air.

A small breeze scratches my skin and leaves a trail of goosebumps from the chill. I breathe deeply and inhale Valentine's delicious scent as his arms tighten around me. One more second and everything comes to a still. There is a dead silence in the air as we levitate and I see nothing but the back of my own eyelids. He places his warm hands on either side of my face and I take that as a sign for me to open my eyes.

I slowly lift my eyes and my vision falls on a pair of beautifully dark eyes rimmed with a ring of light. My heart attempts to break through my bones to collide with his but a vampire's heart cannot be brought back to life - it remains as frozen as their creed.

"You can fly," I comment plainly, trying to conceal my uneasiness with the stomach clenching height. I am usually not one to cringe but when I'm standing on nothing but air, I can't help but grind my teeth in anxiety.

Nevertheless, I marvel at the beauty below me. "It's beautiful." The majestic garden holds an ethereal glow from each of the rivers flowing to the center. One from each kingdom, seven thrones under the watch of millions of shining eyes.

He smirks. "I can levitate," he corrects. "And you hate heights," he speaks, saying exactly what is on my mind.

"I'm not particularly fond of it," I reply and wanted to say, 'but I feel safe with you.'

"Then let's get you down."

I nod. "Good idea." I'm not one to show my weaknesses but I've noticed a slight change. There is nothing to hide when it comes to Valentine. He knows me more than anyone and as to how I've no clue.

With no warning, not even a single syllable, I drop freely in the air. His arms are no longer around me and the world turns up. My stomach rises to my heart and chills race up my spine making me shake with fear. I want to curse out loud but struggle to speak due to shock. My arms flail aimlessly around me and I manage to utter a few words. That no-good bastard. "Valentine, where the hell are you?"

Seconds pass and I near the ground at a blazing speed. In my ears, I hear what sounds like the roars I would soon direct at Valentine when I get my hands around his neck. My lungs fill with frost and bitterness during my descent and I gulp hard to moisten my dry throat. "This is not funny, Valentine. Stop this now," I shout, but my voice reaches only my own ears. My eyes widen as I am only a few stories from the solid earth.

I exhale a shaky breath and then I am caught. "No need to scream, sweetheart, I hear you quite clearly." He gives out a deep and amused laugh and I scowl. My fangs escape from their fleshy cage and I snarl with frustration. My mouth was near his neck and I prepare to bite.

"Ah, ah, ah," he dodges my deadly kiss. "Better save that for later, we have one more destination."

I thrash in his arms. "I'm not going anywhere with you, you savage beast."

We are now on the ground and I rejoice silently. Falling was never a favorite of mine. It's thrilling, yes, but not over solid ground.

"Oh? Is that what you call a savior these days?" He mocks with a teasing gaze.

"Savior," I snicker. "Don't you mean traitor? I don't recall saviors trying to kill their own dates."

"Who said I was trying to kill you?"

I tighten my jaw and level my eyes with his. "I'm not going with you." I enunciate each word with pressure.

"Yes, you are, remember the last time you ran?" He points out.

I narrow my eyes at him. I don't necessarily want a repeat of that dreadful night. "No need to remind me," I mutter casually and dig my nails into his forearms. "Where are we going?"

He glances down at me with fire in his eyes. "We're going to take a bath."

***

Thank you for reading what goes on in my insane mind.

You are the best and you make writing worthwhile.

Leave me a comment. :)

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

Act Right Від BossyBe92

Сучасна проза

90K 3.7K 74
Act right or get left.
6.6K 629 69
Not every book has a hero And not every Fairytale has a prince I am a person just like you Not some force that cannot be hurt My heart can be broke...
76 6 16
You were created during a time of struggles. You managed to escape or be set free. You know nothing about your past. Only your name is the true hint...
Call of the Sinners Від cinycesum

Паранормальні явища

20 0 2
when you realize that you are immortal and your crimes goes unpunished... you become unhinged and borderline insane