✓ | Silent Shadows ⋆ Will Her...

By juIianblackthorn

❝Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time. ❞ After surviving and successfully escapin... More

SILENT SHADOWS
PROLOGUE
CHAPTER ONE: DETERIORATE
CHAPTER TWO: DISCOVER
CHAPTER THREE: SAVE
CHAPTER FOUR: AWAKE
CHAPTER SIX: ANGER
CHAPTER SEVEN: BALANCE
CHAPTER EIGHT: UNITE
CHAPTER NINE: ENCOUNTER
CHAPTER TEN: NEGOTIATE
CHAPTER ELEVEN: CHANGE
CHAPTER TWELVE: PLAN
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: ACT
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: MEET
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: ATTACK
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: LIE
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: WOUND
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: CHEER UP
CHAPTER NINETEEN: RECONCILE
CHAPTER TWENTY: HEAL
CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: HIDE
CHAPTER TWENTY TWO: UNVEIL
CHAPTER TWENTY THREE: TRICK
CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: DESTROY
CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: LOSE
CHAPTER TWENTY SIX: LIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN: MOURN
EPILOGUE
NEXT BOOK: HUSHED WHISPERS

CHAPTER FIVE: RECONNECT

6.6K 261 95
By juIianblackthorn

I promise to never let you out of my sight again. I promise to always be there for you ⎼ in the darkest hours of the night and in the first light of dawn. When you feel down and low, when you feel like there is no hope left and you wish to run away, when you want to laugh loudly and when you are happier than ever before ⎼ I will be there with you. I promise you that.◢

⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼⎼

CHAPTER FIVE: RECONNECT

THERE was an untamed electricity coursing through Marie's veins as her footsteps echoed the wide and narrow corridor of the London Institute. The young girl never really understood how Sophie and Agatha managed to keep the huge hallways so clean.

The familiar archaic smell penetrated her nostrils as it wandered through the night air. It made Marie feel like she was home again.

She was home again, safe and sound. The Dark Sisters weren't around anymore and therefore Marie was freed of their spine⎼shivering tortures.

Before she even became aware of it, Marie's feet reached the threshold of Will's chamber. The boy was nowhere in sight and that somehow put Marie's heart on edge. The reality had finally been catching up with her. She was about to see him again. Talk to him after all this dreadful time they've been apart.

She was scared. Somehow, the girl lost the feeling of closeness to one of her childhood friends. The separation made her forget how she was supposed to act around the boy. Months had passed and she wasn't sure they even shared the same mindset anymore.

Was he even going to look at her the way he did before she had been captured?

Her fragile heart was frightened and perhaps it was to be blamed for her sudden cowardness and turning away from Will's doorstep.

She needed a few moments to gather her thoughts, so the girl chose to approach the nearest window and enjoy the view of the outlines of London houses.

Dots of lights were dancing on the nightly canvas and Marie couldn't help but wonder about the way mundanes live their lives. Do they have more freedom and no sense of duty? Do they live in constant fear of getting hurt? Do they fear death and losing someone that is dear to them? Or do they just enjoy the endless gifts life offers them?

Marie wanted to be free to take pleasure in all the moments that were directed in her way. She wanted to live life without worries. But she couldn't. Not after the Dark Sisters.

Being taken captive and kept away from everything and everyone her heart loved, Marie had no choice but to build high, impenetrable walls around her soul. No one was allowed in or out. She was not going to be hurt again.

"Celine?"

The daze was broken quickly as pleasant shivers sneaked down Marie's spine. Her body was frozen.

The sound of William's voice was that powerful.

"Will?" Marie's whispering voice was barely audible as she spun around to take a good look of the obsidian⎼haired boy.

Hazel eyes met the ocean⎼blue ones and it almost felt as if earth and sky collided. The reunion was one that no one ever had witnessed. It was sweet and delicate and devastating and strong at the same time.

The pair just stared into each other's eyes, praying to succeed in recalling previous memories of them. There were so many emotions exchanged just by the sole encounter of their gazes. There was sadness mixed with sorrow and fear, happiness and love; they spoke louder than any words ever could.

The brunette girl wasn't sure why she had anticipated everything to be exactly the same as it were before she had gone missing. Even though it wasn't her fault, her absence had repeatedly hurt her Shadowhunter family; their hearts were drenched with pain and concern.

Things couldn't possibly just go back to the way they were before. Marie noticed that in the way Will hesitated to approach her. His movements were slow and confused, as if he didn't know what he was supposed to do ⎼ squeeze the life out of her or just stare at her as if she were an art piece ⎼ beautiful, but not to be touched.

The unfamiliar and quite bothering distance separated them and none of them knew how to overcome it.

Hoping to destroy the awkwardness that was lingering in the air around them, the girl took a single step toward the boy who she knew her entire life. Will, observing her move, got enough bravery to approach her with the speed of light. The boy embraced her tightly, wrapping his arms around Marie as if they were meant to protect her from the cruelty of the world. He lifted her in the air and spun her around.

She was finally here.

Unfortunately, instead of relaxing at Will's touch and letting out a warm laugh, Marie's eyebrows scrunched in pain and she cringed. Her wounds were still fresh and they hurt her greatly.

Will noticed her dolor expression and quickly returned her to the ground.

Marie's eyes were shut as she let out a deep exhale. "I am sorry."

William's heart shattered to million tiny pieces as he watched the girl who was known as one of the best female Shadowhunters in the world break in front of him. In his mind, Marie was painted as a strong woman, one that was almost as snarky and sarcastic as himself, always with a smile on her face.

But the girl that stood inches away from him had nothing in common with the warrior painted in his thoughts. The girl in front of him seemed far too broken and scared.

And that feared him.

"Marie, what's wrong? Did I do something?" Will's voice was testing waters as his hands hurried to capture her bruised face. Their eyes met once again.

As she lifted her gaze, Marie's lips twitched upward. "You did nothing. I promise you."

Will felt relieved, but deep down the boy knew there was something wrong with Marie and he was set on not letting her hide that away from him.

"Why did you let out a sound that implies nothing but that you are in pain then?"

"Will, I⎼I⎼" Marie attempted lying, giving it away by the simple act of avoiding eye contact with the boy.

"Look at me," William's hands gently turned Marie's face toward his. "I know you and I know that something is wrong. And you know me. You should be acquainted with the fact that I will not let this go easily."

Will was, of course, right. Marie knew that. He was always there, by her side ⎼ in good times and bad times. Therefore, he knew her better than anyone. She could run away from him, even if she tried.

"My wounds. They still hurt," Marie shared her secret sincerely.

"Do forgive me, Marie. I have forgotten. I⎼I just haven't seen you in such a long time that I couldn't resist it. Everyone kept on telling me that you're..."

Will stopped in the middle of his sentence, but that didn't prevent Marie from understanding what he tried saying.

"Dead?"

"Yes," he whispered. "But you have to know that I never believed them."

As quickly as they came to capture Marie's face, Will's hands dropped to the sides of his body, taking away the warmth with them. The boy took a step back, enlarging the distance between them.

"I knew that you wouldn't give up on me. I knew that out of all people, you wouldn't have, Will," Marie reached for his hands, squeezing them tightly.

"I tried to follow you. I tried to find you ⎼ so many times ⎼ even if no one supported me on my decisions. Jem and myself ⎼ we never gave up. You need to know that," Will stated.

"You did find me at the end. You saved me, Will," A shy smile appeared on the Herondale boy's pale face.

He did save her. It wasn't entirely his doing ⎼ he had help ⎼ but he was there when it mattered.

"I can't even imagine what you went through, Celine. I can only promise you that from now on ⎼ you will be safe. This won't happen again," Will's arms found their way around Marie's smaller figure once more. Only this time, the Shadowhunter made sure he didn't apply any pressure. He didn't want to risk hurting the girl. He wanted to protect her and he wanted her to believe that.

Marie was sure that William had meant these words, with his whole heart. However, she couldn't have quite believed his promise. Not because she didn't want to, but simply because the lives of Shadowhunters were never clear; they were never granted the satisfaction of feeling safe and protected from evil.

Each and every mission of theirs was dangerous. No matter how young they were, Shadowhunters met death on everyday basis. Therefore, no one could promise her something as big as not being hurt again or never experiencing pain ⎼ not even William Herondale.

"You cannot promise me something like that," Marie's voice was low and desperate in finding the way to make the words sound less harsh.

"But I want to⎼"

"And I know that, Will. Believe me, I do. But you can't just promise me that. No one knows what tomorrow can bring."

"Marie⎼"

"Will. You cannot know whether or not I will be hurt again, as I cannot know if you'll be hurt. Nobody knows that."

"Can I promise you then to always be there for you? I promise you with my body and soul that I will never let you go again," His voice was confident and it did make Marie believe him. There was a strange comfort and sincerity behind his words. They poured hope into her broken spirit and made her smile even when she didn't quite feel like smiling.

"Say it again, WIll," Marie's heart begged to hear those words again.

A bundle of brown locks was now leaning against Will's chest, listening to the steady pace of the male Shadowhunter's heart.

Marie was unable to see the boy's facial expression so Will used it to his advantage. He showed off his perfectly white teeth in a form of a wide grin.

"I promise to never let you out of my sight again. I promise to always be there for you ⎼ in the darkest hours of the night and in the first light of dawn. When you feel down and low, when you feel like there is no hope left and you wish to run away, when you want to laugh loudly and when you are happier than ever before ⎼ I will be there with you. I promise you that," Will whispered the words carefully into Marie's ear, lacing each word in brutal honesty.

"Thank you," Marie met his gaze, but before she succeeded in losing herself in the infinity of hope his divine eyes opened for her, a throat⎼clearing sound caused the pair to separate from their loving embrace.

Only a few feet away from them stood Charlotte Branwell. "Ah, just the two people I needed. Marie, William ⎼ it's dinner time and I want you both present."

"Of course, Charlotte," William nodded as the two young Shadowhunters made their way to dining room of the London Institute.

It looked exactly the same as Marie remembered it. The room was huge, lighted by an immense gasolier that hung from the high ceiling. It washed the room in warm yellow glow.

A long, expensive⎼looking wooden table was positioned in the middle of the room, awaiting at least twenty more guests. There were flowers along it, accompanied with a few china pieces.

However, out of so many places, only five or six were set for the meal and only one seat was occupied.

Marie needed no time to recognize a fair⎼haired beauty of her age. She was dressed in a shimmering low⎼necked gown and her flawless features were nicely highlighted by the most expensive French powder.

"Jessamine?"

Jessamine's head immediately turned toward the voice. As soon as the blonde noticed her missing brunette friend, she stood up from her seat and ran toward Marie, hugging her.

"I thought you would never come back," Jessamine murmured into Marie's shoulder.

The two girls separated and Marie took her time in examining Jessamine. Her friend was even prettier than she remembered her to be. With her fair hair gracefully fell upon her aristocratically held shoulders. Her warm brown eyes and creamy skin reminded Marie of features that a writer would use to describe a princess ⎼ an English Rose. She was that beautiful.

Marie loved Jessamine despite all the difficult times the Lovelace girl knew to give to everyone. However, sometimes ⎼ Marie tended to consider herself smaller than her friend. Somehow, Jessamine emitted magic with every step she took, capturing the attention of every male person who was in the same room as her.

Marie could never do that. She was plain and boring next to Jessamine Lovelace.

"Well, I am here now."

The brunette didn't know why she expected her friend to be happy with that fact. She knew Jessamine better to foresee that the girl would waste no time in examining her plain white dress. After all, she tended to put a value to a person according to the way they dressed and now ⎼ Marie wore a plain cotton⎼white dress ⎼ boring and with zero personality.

"God, we have to go and find you a new gown. I know you hate to dress up, but this is just screaming the word ugly and my mind cannot tolerate it."

Marie's soul saddened, but she let a nervous chuckle nonetheless.

"Jessamine, my dear. Do you ever shut that mouth of yours?" Will, who seemed to be invisible prior to that moment, asked Jessamine a question through his teeth. He didn't want the blonde spilling insults at everyone and everything she sees, especially not Marie.

She rolled her eyes and then returned to her previous seat. Marie and Will followed suit, just as Charlotte entered the dining room ⎼ alongside Tessa.

"Tess," Marie greeted her friend, relieved that the girl seemed to be in better spirits than when she woke up.

Tessa's eyes collided with Marie's, but quickly fell to scan the boy who sat next to the girl.

"Will," Charlotte said. "You remember Miss Gray?"

"My recollection of her," Will continued. "is most vivid indeed."

"And Jessamine ⎼ Jessie, do look up," Charlotte ordered. "Jessie, this is Miss Theresa Gray; Miss Gray, this is Miss Jessamine Lovelace."

When Marie noticed Jessamine being uninterested to even greet the girl, she kicked her swiftly under the table, earning a yelp of pain and a deadly glare from the blonde.

"So pleased to make your acquaintance," Jessamine murmured.

"Where's your benighted husband, then?" Will turned to the Branwell woman.

Charlotte took a seat, gesturing for Tessa to feel free to occupy the seat opposite Marie. "Henry is in his workroom. I've sent Tomas to fetch him. He'll be up in a moment."

"And Jem?" Marie asked, impatient to see the Carstairs boy again.

Charlotte's gaze sent a warning in Marie's direction. "Jem is unwell. He's having one of his days."

"He's always having one of his days," Jessamine's voice sounded disgusted at the thought.

Before Tessa was able to inquire as to who exactly Jem was, a slender woman entered the dining room. She possessed dark hair and eyes that could be described as luminous dark hazel. She was, like everyone else in the room, unique and nothing but beautiful in her own way. However, it was a shame she didn't see herself that way ⎼ she couldn't; not when a thick white scar spread from the left corner of her mouth all the way to her temple.

"Miss Wayland, it is so good to see you again," Sophia Collins said as she began to serve the food.

"You too Sophie."

"You know," Jessamine started, directing her attention to Tessa. "I don't believe I've ever seen a Warlock eat before. I suppose you needn't ever bant, do you? You can just use magic to make yourself slender."

"How can you assume that she is a Warlock so quickly? Not even the Silent Brothers know that," Marie scowled at the girl, but Jessamine seemed to be set on ignoring her.

"Is it dreadful, being so evil? Are you worried you'll go to Hell?" She leaned closer to Tessa, lowering her voice. "What do you think the Devil's like?"

Tessa set her fork down, resuming her meal. "Would you like to meet him? I could summon him up in a trice if you like. Being a Warlock, and all."

Marie and Will let out a whoop of laughter as Jessamine narrowed her eyes.

"There's no call to be rude⎼" the blonde spoke, but before she could finish her sentence, Charlotte let out an astonished shriek.

"Henry!"

A tall, ginger⎼haired man stood in the arched doorway of the dining room. He was dressed in a bright striped waistcoat and his trousers were covered in coal dust. However, it wasn't his appearance that shocked Charlotte, but the fact that his left arm was catching on fire.

"Charlotte, darling," Henry said to his wife whose mouth had been opened due to the horror she had been observing. "Sorry I'm late. You know, I think I might nearly have the Sensor working⎼"

Marie interrupted the man. "Henry, you do realize you're on fire, right?"

The man eagerly responded, watching the flames that climbed all the way to his shoulder. "Oh, yes Marie. I've been working the whole day. Charlotte, did you hear what I said about the Sensor?"

A palm that covered Charlotte's mouth suddenly dropped, as the woman shrieked. "Henry! Your arm!"

Henry glanced down his arm again and this time ⎼ his own mouth dropped open. "Bloody hell!"

Will was quick on his feet as he stood up from his seat and grabbed the nearest object that contained water ⎼ a vase filled with flowers ⎼ hurling its contents all over the ginger⎼haired man. In no time, the flames died leaving a soaking wet Henry frozen in his place. His strange clothes now had been damped, flowers strewn at his feet.

"You know what this means?"

"That you set yourself on fire and didn't even notice?" Marie joked.

"That the flame⎼retardant mixture I developed last week works!" Henry was proud. "This material must have been burning for a good ten minutes, and it isn't even half burned through! Perhaps I ought to set the other sleeve on fire and see how long⎼"

"Henry," Charlotte glared at her husband. "If you set yourself on fire deliberately, I will institute divorce proceedings. Now sit down and eat your supper. And say a proper hello to Marie and our guest."

Henry sat down, glancing across the table at Marie and than next to him at Tessa. The man blinked in surprise. "I know you ⎼ both of you!"

Charlotte shot her partner a despairing look. "Now, that all of us are present, we might as well talk about everything. What exactly happened at the Dark House?"

It was then that Marie finally realized her painful memories were not to be thrown underneath the carpet. Instead, she needed to read the book filled with torture and tormenting out loud. She needed to open up her soul and share what she had desperately tried to forget. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 2.6K 35
𝐼𝑓 𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑜𝑘 𝑐𝑙𝑜𝑠𝑒𝑙𝑦 𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑤𝑜𝑢𝑙𝑑 𝑏𝑒 𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 𝑡𝑜 𝑑𝑖𝑠𝑐𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ...
159K 4.5K 28
"She put a binding rune on the door. I can't get it open." "I'd say she doesn't want to see you." #1 in "magnus" Andina Wayland has grown up with...
77 8 4
Everlyn Carstairs is Jem Carstair's younger sister, they suffered a traumatic childhood together. What happens When Tessa comes to the institute and...
11.3K 296 9
Alexandra Jade McCall. Best friend to Clary Fray/Fairchild and Simon Lewis. Adopted sister of Scott McCall. The twin sister to Jace Wayland, not that...