All or Nothing at All (Steven...

Od Sarahbeth552002

It only took a handshake to turn Grace's life upside down. She was an all or nothing at all kind of girl and... Viac

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23 (The End)
Deleted Scene 1
Deleted Scene 2
Deleted Scene 3 (Part I of the original ending)
Deleted Scene 4 (Part II of the original ending)
Deleted Scene 5 (Part III of the original ending)
An Honest Kiss
Save The Last Dance
For Once In My Life
A Broken Promise
More of You
Dream
Love Me Sweet (Love Me book 1)
The Best Thing (Stevens Book 8)
Love Me Long
Let It Be Me (Triplets 1)
Hold You In My Arms (Stevens book 9)
Only You (Stevens Book 12)

Chapter 7

48.5K 2.3K 101
Od Sarahbeth552002

Grace, having been surrounded by memories that she had tried to forget, was still wide awake when the sun rose the next morning. She had thought she had buried the ones that left scars long ago, but they were always there, ready to float to the surface.

She always slept with a light on but last night had been an 'every light on' kind of night. She had wanted no shadows in the room.

She got out of bed and moved into the bathroom, groaning at the way she looked.  She was deathly pale, and the dark circles under her eyes were not going to be covered by makeup. She stripped and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water wash over her aching muscles caused by a night of tension.

Grace's brain told her to relax that there was a lock on the door and no one in this house wanted to cause her harm, but it was an ingrained fear, and it still amazed her that she could feel the fear so strong even after thirteen years.

She dressed in her boots, jeans, and old work shirt.  They would be digging today and, although she was exhausted, she welcomed the physical exercise that she knew would exhaust her even more, allowing her to sleep that night.

Grace had wondered in the wee hours of the morning, how a simple conversation with Bryce caused so much emotion, and she had figured out that the answer; she feared what he could make her feel.  He had the power to hurt her and she hadn't allowed anyone that power for the past thirteen years. She cared what he thought and this, coupled with her fear, was what had made sleep elude her.

When she entered the dining room a short time later the object of her thoughts was the only one there, and he looked up at her, frowning as he studied her.

Grace ignored him and walked over to the sideboard pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"I noticed you were up late last night,"  he said, setting down his fork.  "The light from your room was still on when I passed by on my way to bed."

"I must have fallen asleep with the lights on." She picked up one of the newspapers on the table and read the headlines as she sat down.

"You still sleep with the lights on?" Rainer asked, joining them.  He must have heard Bryce's comment as he entered.

"Something like that." She turned her attention back to the paper.

Rainer walked up to her and put his finger under her chin lifting her face. "You look awful Grace, aren't you hungry?"

"No, not this morning." He dropped a kiss on the top of her head then moved to make himself a plate. She felt Bryce looking at her, and she turned to meet his gaze head-on. She had expected judgment in his look, but if he was judging her, he hid it well behind his emotionless eyes.

Grace noted that he was dressed casually in a button-down shirt that was open at the collar showing his tan neck, but the rest of him was hidden under the table.

"Don't even try brother.  If my inquisitiveness and natural ability to draw people out has not worked on Grace I doubt you will fare any better," Rainer said, apparently able to read something in Bryce that she hadn't been able to read.

Bryce gave one of his heart-stopping grins and leaned back into his chair, which was not at all what Grace was expecting him to do. "You know me, brother. I like a good riddle." Rainer and Bryce exchanged a look that went way above Grace's head.

Grace decided to ignore them and focus on the paper.

A moment later Cybil and Alec entered together, something that Grace found very interesting.  Maybe she wasn't entirely off about a romance. Grace finished her coffee then stood up looking at her watch. 

We'll meet out front in about half an hour," she informed Alec and Cybil. The two nodded their agreement as they continued to shoot each other subdued glances.

Grace headed across the hall to Bryce's study to check her emails before they left, and she was in the middle of answering one when the door opened. She was expecting it to be Bryce, so she was surprised when it turned out to be Crystal.

"Good morning Crystal.  If you're looking for Bryce, he's across the hall having breakfast." Thinking that was all she wanted she turned back to her laptop.

"No, it was you I was looking for."

Grace's hair stood up on her neck. Her survival instinct had just kicked into hyperdrive.

"Oh, what can I help you with?" Grace asked with a soothing tone as she saw the look in Crystal's eyes. She was livid, and Grace's offer to help had made her even angrier.

"You listen to me you little bitch." She moved towards Grace as she rose from her seat.

Grace had been here before. Crystal felt threatened by her.  Grace had been placed in several foster homes where the family had genetic children that had resented her sudden presence.  She knew the look and the anger that came with that, and the pure meanness that came out in people when they felt threatened.

She kept her cool, straightening her spine and pushing her shoulders back. Cowering had never done any good. "I'm listening."

"I don't know what your game is, but Bryce and I have an understanding. I don't like the way you have come into this house and taken it over as if you were already the lady of the manor."

"I'm only here to work. I have no intention of getting in your way." Grace's attempt to sooth Crystal only seemed to anger her more.

"But you are getting in my way. I want you to leave today," she hissed moving into Grace's space.

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that. I have a job-"

Crystal gave what sounded like a muted scream in the back of her throat and then she pushed Grace hard. Grace had not been expecting it, and she flew backward hitting her back and head on the bookshelf behind her, causing a sizeable ceramic figurine to fall and hit Grace in the middle of the back then crash to the floor.

Grace let out a muted cry, tears of pain pricking her eyes.

The cry seemed to startle Crystal, who covered her mouth with her hands, shocked by what she had done.

The door flew open as Bryce and Rainer came surging in to see what had happened.

Crystal looked from Grace to the two men, her face bright red.

"What happened?" Bryce demanded, looking from one to the other then at the damaged figurine on the floor.

"I'm afraid I tripped on the rug and hit the shelf." Grace didn't know why she covered for Crystal; maybe it was because she looked genuinely shocked and remorseful for what she had done. All she knew for sure was that pointing a finger never did anyone any good.

She looked at the broken figurine scattered at her feet. "I'm sorry.  It wasn't expensive, was it? I will, of course, replace it." She bit her lip to stem the tears from the pain.  Her head was bleeding she could feel it trickling down her skull, and her back was pounding.

Bryce just waved his hand as if to say he didn't care about the figurine; it was the reason the figurine had fallen that was more of a concern.

"You're bleeding," Bryce said moving to take her arm and direct her towards a chair.

Grace sat down gratefully. She tried to lean back but jolted up right when her back meet the chair.

"Crystal, why don't you go and get your breakfast?" Bryce suggested, commanding the situation. "Rainer, would you please go and get the first aid box from Gertrude?"

The two left, and Grace reached up to try and stop the blood that was now moving down her cheek

"Lean forward," Bryce instructed her.  Grace who was still a bit dazed followed his instruction without question. She gave a little gasp when she felt her shirt being lifted exposing her back. She felt his finger brush her skin as he lifted her shirt and she arched away from his touch that was like a brand.

"What hit you?" he asked, ignoring her reaction to his touch.  Maybe he thought it was because of the pain.

"T-t-the figurine did." Grace looked over her shoulder at him.

He had a blank look on his face.  If Grace didn't know better, she would guess that he was furious.

"I am sorry about the figurine." She tried to apologize again.

"I don't give a damn about the figurine. I do care what happened. You're not a clumsy person Grace, and I'm not buying the 'you tripped' excuse for one minute. First, you would have fallen forward not backward, and second, Crystal looked very guilty."

Grace opened her mouth to deny it, but he cut her off.

"I have six younger siblings, and I practice law for a living, I know what a guilty person looks like." He lowered her shirt and reached up pulling the collar to the side so that he could see her shoulder, first one then the other.

She had two bright red spots where Crystal's hands had shoved her and Grace shivered at the look of coldness that entered his eyes as he looked at them.

Rainer entered as he was pulling her shirt back into place, and he sat on the edge of the desk with a thoughtful expression while he watched as Bryce examined the cut on her scalp. Having decided that it wasn't deep, he put some antiseptic on it making Grace wince at its sting.

As she watched Bryce put everything away in the first aid box, she noticed for the first time that he was wearing blue jeans and cowboy boots. Rainer was dressed the same way.

Bryce, who looked sexy in a suit, looked downright wicked in jeans and cowboy boots.  He looked even more masculine. The jeans were well worn and tight on him, hugging his behind and thighs and making his long legs look lean and powerful.

She looked over at Rainer who gave her a wink.  He must have seen her looking at Bryce's behind. "Suits don't work too well on horseback," Rainer said

Grace couldn't help the blush. Damn it; she was blushing again.

"Rainer," Bryce shoved the first aid box back at him, "I'll meet you out front."

Rainer gave Grace a wink and rose from his seat leaving the room.

"Do you want me to ask Crystal to leave?" Bryce turned his attention back to Grace.

"No, why would I?" Grace looked at him, challenging him to try to make her admit she was pushed.

He shook his head, taking in her pallor now that the blush had faded. "Stubborn woman."

She raised her chin a bit higher, and he walked over to her, taking her chin in his hand as Rainer had done earlier. Unlike Rainer, she felt a jolt at Bryce's touch. His thumb traced one of the dark circles under her eyes. She had no clue what he was thinking, his face and eyes were blank again.

Just when she thought he was going to turn and leave he bent down and gave her the gentlest kiss. She stopped breathing, closing her eyes as the kiss lingered long enough for her to begin to return it and then he pulled away.

When she opened her eyes the door to the study was closing and he was gone.

She gave a shaky sigh and rose.  She had a busy day ahead.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

1K 469 43
Meet *Mars*. Cheeky, simple, plain and at times a pain in the arse type of a lady. Just a recent graduate and yet still not in a rush to have any att...
The New Guy in Town Od alexis wessig

Tínedžerská beletria

183 3 21
Cora Grant was a quiet girl. She didn't like big crowds, bright colors, or leaving her only remaining family alone. Jasper Mikhall is from a family f...
3.4K 246 41
All is fair in love, war and Business. Is it though? Grace never had it easy when it came to life. First she had to deal with her parents trying rip...