Castle Cay

By leeagain2

"When her best friend is murdered, Julie O'Hara, a body language expert, packs up her suspicion and flies to... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74

Chapter 25

76 9 0
By leeagain2

Given that she was still alive and breathing, Julie decided not to press her luck by asking God for a parking space. She left the new rental - a Camry - at the Marriott, and walked up State Street for her one-thirty appointment with Matt Castle.

Entering the lobby of the building, Julie noticed that the law firm was the only occupant of the top floor. She took the elevator up and stepped out into a large reception area. It was designed to impress: large oriental carpets atop highly polished hardwood floors and Old English mahogany furniture. There was a gold sign on the wall facing the elevator:

CONNOR, CASTLE & MANN

A dignified older woman sat at a desk to the right. She smiled as Julie approached. "Good afternoon. May I help you?"

"Yes. I'm Julie O'Hara. I'm here to see Mr. Castle. I have an appointment."

The woman glanced at her computer.

"Oh, yes, Ms. O'Hara," she said. "Mr. Castle is expecting you. Would you have a seat? I'll let him know that you're here. Please help yourself to the coffee over there."

Julie passed on the coffee; she was jittery enough from her 'accident' in Salem.

Matt Castle came out to meet her almost immediately, and she remembered him from the funeral. He was a tall man in a dark gray pinstriped suit with an impeccable shirt and tie. His hair was turning gray at the temples which gave him a solid, patrician air. He welcomed her warmly.

"Ms. O'Hara?" he said, extending his hand. "I'm Matthew Castle. Please call me Matt. It's a pleasure to finally meet Marc's best friend, Merlin. He never ceased bragging about you."

"Please, call me Julie," she said, shaking his hand. "Marc was becoming so well known that I was the one bragging about being his friend. I know he cared a great deal for you, too, Matt. He spoke of you many times. I'm so sorry for your loss."

"Thank you," he said. "Come, let's go to my office."

Julie followed him down a hallway past smaller offices to a large, windowed corner suite. The overall impression was English Hunt Club: crimson leather on polished dark wood, oil landscapes and hunting prints. The walls were filled with law books and accreditation, family photos artfully interspersed.

Rather than sitting opposite her at his desk, he led her to a pair of club chairs.

"Julie. I'm going to be frank with you," he said, unbuttoning his suit jacket and taking a seat. "I'm deeply suspicious about my nephew's death. Marc was not at all suicidal."

Julie's impression of Matt Castle as an ally was all but confirmed with those words.

"No, he wasn't," said Julie. "Marc and I discussed the subject once. He was emphatic about suicide being cowardly. He specifically said that it was cruel to loved ones who were left behind. He would never have taken his own life."

"Do you think it could have been an accident?" asked Matt. "Did you know it was an injection?"

"I just learned that," said Julie, "but I don't know what it was."

"They told me it was oxycodone."

"Oxycodone? There's no way this was an accident! I think Marc was murdered."

"Yes," said Matt, "so do I."

They were quiet for a moment, the enormity of that sinking in.

"There's something else, Matt. Someone tried to kill me this morning."

His eyes widened in shock and concern.

Julie recounted her close call, in all its harrowing detail.

"Someone tampered with your brakes?"

"Yes. I'm certain of it. It was a new car; the brake pedal was high, tight. I drove the car for three days and the brakes worked fine."

"Did you report it to the police?"

"Just an accident report, when the police showed up on the road. I didn't see the brake fluid in front of Pete's house until later."

"Who do you think...?"

Aghast, his unfinished question hung in the air.

"It had to be someone who knew I was suspicious. Someone who knew exactly where I was staying, who knew where the Soldanos live in Salem. Someone who knew they had to act fast, because I wouldn't be there long." Julie paused, looking at Matt. "Let's just say that Avram Solomon is at the top of my short list."

"Why Avram?"

"Because I saw through his act and I think he knows it. I know he lies all the time, because he's smooth. It takes practice to be a good liar. But there are always leaks: tiny facial movements, a gesture, the pitch of one's voice, their pattern of speech. No one can control them all. Avram certainly wasn't grieving, Matt. What's more, I believe he's hiding something."

"Well, he's capable of anything, in my opinion," said Matt. "But as for Marc's death...I know for a fact that Avram was here in Boston when it happened. It was the first thing I verified, Julie."

She nodded.

"I know Marc hated him."

She remembered her earlier conversation with Joan. "I was wondering about Castle Cay, Matt. Who owns the island?"

"Marc did. He inherited it from my sister, Miriam. He never used it. Since my sister died there in 1993, none of us have."

He tilted his head in sympathy.

"I was sorry to hear about your husband, Julie."

"Thank you. I was sorry about Miriam, too. I think that place is cursed."

He nodded, and continued.

"Marc did, too. In fact, he wanted to sell it. He called me a few weeks ago and said he'd had a good offer from Holiday Cruise Lines for it. "

"What? He was seeking your advice about a sale? Of Castle Cay?"

"Yes. It was a large amount of money."

"Can you tell me any more about it?" asked Julie. "It would help me if I knew what questions he had and what you advised him."

Matt thought about it for a moment.

"I don't see why not," he said.

"Holiday offered $40 million for Castle Cay. Avram had called Marc to tell him. And, as you know, Marc never trusted Avram about anything. So, he called me. He said that Avram seemed very eager for him to sell, and he wondered why. I said that perhaps Avram was sick of managing the property, or he might have felt the money would be better invested elsewhere."

"Do you know who the listing agent was?"

"Yes, I do. Wait a minute..."

He got up, went to his desk, and pulled out a piece of paper that was tucked under the clear mat.

"It was listed with Island World Realty. They're in Miami. Marc said they specialized in islands and waterfront properties."

"How did he find them?"

"I don't think he did. I think Avram probably listed it."

"But you said that Marc wanted to sell?"

"Yes. But, keep in mind, Marc hadn't been there for years. He was thinking that perhaps he should go there again before deciding. On the other hand, he didn't want to delay and lose the buyer. So that was the quandary."

"What did you advise him?"

"It was a low offer. I told him not to rush into it! I said that if he felt he should go there first, then that's what he should do. I don't know if he went or not, though."

"Have you talked to Avram Solomon about any of this?"

"No, I haven't," he said. "But I received a letter from him about Marc's trust fund. It was to inform me that Avram, as trustee, was completing an inventory and that the trust would be 'liquidated as soon as possible'. He said that when it was ready to close, he would 'make distributions to all the beneficiaries'."

"Who is the primary beneficiary?"

"I am," he said, simply.

Surprised, Julie instantly assessed his body language. He had shrugged slightly and opened his hands toward her. There was no inconsistency in any of it. Matt Castle was an honest man, and one who was already quite wealthy.

"Any idea why Avram wanted the island sold?" she asked.

"No. But I'm a lot more suspicious about it now than I was."

"There's one last thing I want to ask you, Matt. It's personal. I'll understand if you'd rather not answer. Is it possible that Milton Solomon was not Marc's father?"

Matt shifted and sighed. He leaned back in his chair. "There's no point in keeping that secret any longer, I guess. My partner, Tom Connor, is...was...Marc's father. God knows he wanted to tell him! But he promised my sister years ago that he wouldn't. The hell of it is, we had talked recently and he was planning to tell him. Now he'll never have the chance.

"It was all because of my sister's delusion about her sons bonding. Of course, Miriam never recognized Avram's duplicity. She didn't want to see it. No, it was her goal for them to be close. She thought it would only separate them more to know they had different fathers."

"Joan Soldano mentioned that Miriam left everything to Marc?"

"Oh, no," said Matt. "Miriam left an equal amount of money to her sons. The island was an additional bequest in Marc's trust. And that was fair. At the time, you see, Milton was clearly putting Solomon Chrysler into Avram's hands.

"Miriam saw Marc as being on 'her side' of the family. I don't think she thought about the monetary value of Castle Cay at all. I don't think she ever imagined the island being sold; her intent was simply to keep it in the Castle family.

"As for Marc's trust fund, Miriam's reasoning was that Avram was an accountant and he cared about the family money... where Marc clearly didn't. In her mind, she was protecting Marc by appointing Avram trustee.

"It was a terrible idea. I tried to talk her out of it, but she wouldn't listen to a word I said. In the end, she and Milton went to another firm to draw up their estate plans. Of course, after Miriam died, we lost all of their business...but that was years ago."

"Why was that?"

"Avram chose Cardenas and Shaw."

"Where have I seen that name?"

"In the newspapers, perhaps. No doubt you've heard of their clients? The Tambini family here in Boston?"

Shit, thought Julie.

Up to my ankles.

Julie called the airport as she hurried back to the Marriott, reserving a seat on the eight o'clock flight to Miami. She also made a reservation there at the Holiday Inn. Then she went to her room, threw everything into her carry-on and headed for the door.

Wait...

She picked up the hotel phone and recorded some misdirection:

"Sorry I missed you! I'll be back later."

One more stop and I'm out of here!

* * * * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

455 24 38
"Dear Giles, I'm sure you already know what this note is going to say. Please, do find solace in this as it once again means your life is spared, but...
231K 2.1K 67
"Why can't we be together?" "Because then i'll have to kill you." - Cassie lived with her big sister Ariene, She never really knew her parents, Cassi...
720 78 16
How does it feel to be trapped with a murderer? Or worse yet, How does it feel to know that the only way out is locked and the only way it'll open is...