Concubine's Greed (Revising)

By Ryokoki

At a young age Jiayang had always been told she was beautiful. She had gained everything that she has ever wa... More

One (Revised)
Three (Revising)
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty one
Author's Note

Two (Revised)

12.3K 410 22
By Ryokoki

"Jiayang don't be so reckless!"

Jianyu quickly grabbed my hand, jerking me back towards him. I snatched it away from as I turned to look at him, beads of sweat rolled down his face, his face was bleached white. He stared down at with his eyebrows furrowing. The guards that were with us a moment ago had vanished, probably noticing the absence of the rest of the role family.

"But our father is still inside, we have to go save him, he might-"

I was cut off at a wild screaming from the guards, as they came running back to us. I opened my mouth to address their coward behavior, but a large explosion followed, in the area of the emperor's room. Fire-stricken debris ran down from the skies, Loud audible gasp slipped from the guards, as they shielded us from any that flew out too far. I didn't feel anything after that, My heart sunk into my stomach. I felt Jianyu's hand slowly grab mine, All was silent between my brother and me, but our hands never let go.

***

"Jiayang it's time to wake up, Empress Meifeng wants to see you"

I was awakened by Ling, my personal maid. She gently cooed as she shook my back lightly. The blinds were already open, exposing the lush gardens of my personal palace. Songbirds and frogs brought about the sound of the lush life outdoors. Ling's face appeared in front of me, her hazel hair was neatly in a figure-eight coil on the sides of her head. Peonies and Chrysanthemums were pinned across her hairstyle, bringing in a fragrant smell. She wore a delicate mint and coral hanfu, with long sleeves that covered her small wrist. Ling had been with me since birth, she was assigned to me before I even knew her.

It was the morning after the long night, and the first day without an emperor. All my thoughts about the night came rushing back to me, I felt tears welling up in my eyes as I stared at the coral-print bedspread below me. All was silent in the room, the maids scuffled about, but trod lightly. I felt Ling's warm hand on my shoulder as she looked at me, a sorrowful smile placid on her lips. I sighed before I rose out of bed slowly, I was instantly swarmed by the maids. Ling backed away and returned with an achromatic Chang-ao. Silver dragons and crystallized tigers decorated the fabric. Its sleeves dropped slide across the floor, creating a trail of white cloth. I was sat down, as the maid pulled and tugged at my lengthy atramentous hair. Pulling it up into a Shan Yu fairy hairstyle, they decked it with silver combs, and intricate pins and silvery jewels, that dangled around my ears. I looked in the mirror that was presented in front of me, as beautiful as everything looked, I was in no mood to play dress-up with the maids, I shooed them away as we began to make our way to the main palace.

As soon as I opened the door the truth was evident, servants and guards were in a panic, they scurried frantically throughout the halls, scattered papers and documents flew from the attendant's arms as they rushed by, the palace was in complete disarray, no room for mourning. This palace did not have a ruler... At least not yet.

I quickly made my way to the Empress's chambers, which was very close to the Emperor's room. My father could not get enough of my mother and had their rooms close by to one another. We approached the main building, the royal builders were present everywhere, they were posted on the grounds, outside and on top of the main building, assessing the damage that had been dealt during the fire. Half of the building had been demolished into ash and piles of debris that littered the palace gateways to the main building. A worker, exposing much of his chest approached up casually.

"It's best that you go around your Highness."

He grumbled, not showing any sign of respect towards me, not even the smallest bow was made. I clenched my teeth, as I glared at the man in silence. Any ounce of my father's protection had been burned away by the fire, I was just seen as another daughter to the royal family, completely disposable. Ling approached from behind me, offering a respectful bow to the man, her eyes were on the floor as she spoke.

"Your concern is appreciated, but her highness wishes to see the Emperor's room."

She spoke calmly but loud enough for the man to hear. I stared at him as she merely scratched his head in discomfort with the situation, he sighed before moving aside for us to pass through. Ling bowed again, as she moved aside for me to pass. I fought the urge to snap at the man, but I felt my will draining from my very soul as we approached My father's room.

I inhaled calmly and did not let myself be emotional. As I passed the room, everything inside the emperor's room was scorched. The walls that separated the halls from his room were completely gone, and the inside of his room was able to see. The walls had been painted a dazzling gold paint with vermillion phoenix covering every inch of the wall. Now it was completely burnt off, the golden paint now drooped as it looked as it had been stripped from the walls by force. The large room seemed as if it had been thrown into the oven. His magnificent bed was completely ruined. The sheets were coated in ashen soot, and the golden bed frame was turned into a charcoal black. Wood from the ceiling dangled dangerously from the top of his bed. His golden dresser, shoes, clothing had all been ripped off their prestigious appearance and now looked like peasant clothing. I wiped a single tear from my eyes as I observed the once noble room of an Emperor, claim the status of nothing. I passed by it quickly not able to keep from legs from shaking.

I quickly arrived at the Empress's chambers, which were guarded heavily. The guards stood stone-faced as they watched me approach, they simply exchanged glances with one another before stepping aside to let me through. Though the Empress's room was supposed to compliment the Emperor's, my mother's room was the complete opposite, rather than fierce like the Vermillion Dragon, Her room represented a fragile bunny instead. Large windows let in a beautiful amount of light that made the room glow. Jade and sapphire jewels adorned the large bed that sat in front of me. The sheets were a pastel blue and blush pink. The walls were lightly painted with paintings of dragonflies, songbirds, and peacocks. As soon as the doors closed, I lost all formalities and ran up to my mother's bedside.

It was rare not to see the Empress up, and not attending to her daily chores, but with the current events, no one said anything to the Empress. As if overnight, all of Meifeng's beauty faded away as if it were some distant memory. Her skin became sickly pale, and her face was revealing my mother's true age, wrinkles covered her whole face and body. I stroked mother's head, causing her to wake.

"Jiayang I hadn't realized you came in."

She said weakly as she attempted to sit up. A light groan escaped her chest, I pushed her gently back in bed.

"No mother don't get up you are very weak, it is unsettling that you're getting sick so quickly."

I spoke concerned, I gently stroked her face, it was slightly moist she had been crying by herself. I fought back my own tears, and remained strong in front of her, a small grin plastered on my face. She looked at me for a moment, she opened and closed her mouth as if she were going to say something, but a cough followed instead.

"I suppose your right... Enough about me, I called you here for your brother's sake."

She muttered weakly, her hand remained over her mouth as she struggled to breathe. I searched frantically for my mother's attendants, but they were already on Meifeng's side. They sat her up slowly and offered her Longjing tea with jasmine petals. She sipped it slowly before exhaling.

"What about Jianyu?"

I resumed speaking after her coughing fit had settled down. The maids moved away and I positioned myself at her side.

"This is a difficult time for him... He's a bit on edge."

She stared down at her teacup, the scent of jasmine coating her breath and clothes. "Besides, he was the one who requested to see you, I simply wanted to see your beautiful face."

She gave me a weak smile as she touched my cheek, her hands were cold and pale. I sighed before I kissed her hand, before leaning in to kiss her cheek. I rested my head on her lap, as she moved to stroke my head. We sat in silence together, her gaze drifting to the window, her eyes watered at the brim.

***

"Jianyu, you wanted to see me."

I approached him respectively, with a slight shuffle and bowed head. My maids followed suit, knowing who he was about to become after the crowning ceremony. His handsome appearance looked strained as he looked up at me from his desk of paperwork. His once clear eyes filled with resolve and happiness only revealed an empty soul. Scattered documents lay crumpled on the floor as if they had been crushed and tossed aside. I snapped back to attention as he cleared his throat, and shifted in his chair rather uncomfortably.

"Sister... Sit.."

He muttered softly, there was a nervous look in his eyes, as his voice was shaky as well, I caught on the this immediately. One of the maids helped to my feet as I took a seat at his table across from him, as he continued to write. I looked at one of the papers and noticed that this was my first time, reading a court document. Ink ran and bled through of the papers making it illegible and most of the words I didn't quite understand, but some words seemed to pop out of the paper.

War.

I quickly looked up at my brother, who had been watching at me read. We made eye-contact with each other. He quietly studied my face, unaware I could understand what was written before me. A moment went passed before I spoke up.

"Who is trying to start a war with us?."

I snapped alarmed, I slammed my hands on the table, rocking it slightly. Jianyu kept it steady as he watched me, a slight frown forming in the corners of his mouth. He summoned an attendant who quickly removed the documents from the table, picking up the one that had fallen on the floor as well. A hand-maid brought out small tea cups filled with Camomile tea, I settled back down in my chair.

"The Jingdi kingdom, the same one that dad wanted you to go to."

He mumbled as he took a sip from his tea, he stared at me as he drank. I felt him hinting at something, I refused to make eye-contact and picked up my tea, before taking a small sip.

"Why are they trying to start a war?"

I asked feigning ignorance, I stared into my cup watching the chamomile flowers float around the top. There was a moment of silence from him before he placed his empty cup at the edge of the table, it was quickly refilled by the maids.

"Cut the crap, you know exactly what I'm talking about."

He declared taking a sip from his cup once more. I slammed my cup on the table, this time making direct eye contact with him. His eyes glared harshly at me, as the grip on his cup tightened.

"I refused to become a concubine, I am an imperial daughter why would I lower myself to a whores status?"

I yelled sharply, I shot up out of my chair as I stared at him. He looked away and back down at the table, he exhaled and placed his cup calmly on the table.

"I understand completely, that's why we have decided to keep you at your current status at their palace. You're the only option."

He replied with little emotion from my previous outburst, he crossed his leg over the other in a relaxed motion, pissing me off even more. My father's old concubines were sent back to their families, those who had nowhere to return to, they were allowed to live in the palace, but with low ranking status. All of my sisters were not offered because they were already engaged.

"Sister you are truly the only one who can make our kingdom safe again"

He said nervously as he stared down at my face. I felt anger and unfairness began to form themselves into words, and attempt to escape my mouth. But I held them down and took a breath. He rose from his chair, he crossed over to me grabbing both of my hands, taking them into his.

"If there was another option sister, I would take it... Please do not think I have forsaken you."

He muttered quietly, the grip on my hand tightening. His voice shook as he tried to smile weakly at me. I lowered my head, feeling completely defeated in a game I could never win. Not having the strength to speak, I gingerly nodded my head, my jewels chiming in my ears. Jianyu slowly pulled me into a hug, practically crushing me, before I could protest he spoke.

"Thank you Jiayang."

He sobbed, his voice shook and so did his body. I felt his tears fall onto my shoulder as he held me harder. For the first time, my brother was crying in front of me. I felt my own tears fall from my eyes, I buried my face into his shoulder, as we cried together.

"You have to leave very soon, sooner than I would like you too."

He mumbled with a sniff after we had our moment together. He pulled back from me looking down at me. His face was wet and red, I wiped his tears with my sleeve, not caring if it was ruined or not. He smiled at me again before it faltered again.

"A month from now, you will be wedded in another kingdom."

He spoke, the authority returning to his voice, but his face still remained uncertain and saddened. I felt my heart drop to my stomach, I felt sick even thinking about it. My father's funeral would take place in 3 months, long after I'm gone. My legs shook as I felt weak, my ears felt as if they were going to burst, I could barely look at my brother. Tears returned to his face as he watched me break down, He shook his head and turned away from me, hiding his face. I sobbed uncontrollably, as I dropped to my knees. Jianyu did not console me, he simply kept his back to me. His body shook as his hand returned to his face.

In just two days time, it felt as if my life were over.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 345 19
{Set in the Modern times}.Demon Sect Training School Master Teacher Yan Wushi has just come out of 10 year seclusion after a fatal defeat during a ba...
2.9K 43 10
(UPDATES INTERMITTENTLY) A regular guy gets transmigrated into a palace intrigue novel that he's been reading as a background character. Yes, you'v...
Rise of an Empress By ROAE

Historical Fiction

169K 6.4K 52
It's a story of a mighty emperor, who rules the land upto horizon... A story of an innocent lady from a noble family who gets involved in a political...
15.4M 729K 62
When Daiyu is summoned with dozens of other girls to be the Emperor's concubine, she doesn't think that she'll be chosen. Although beautiful and kind...