A Love Unveiled

By inkzerospace

To many he is known as Fallon 'The Fury' for he is relentless and formidable, known for his prowess in battle... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue

Chapter Thirty-Two

77.1K 3.6K 64
By inkzerospace

            “What?” Alana said in a shrilly, panicked voice. “The King has asked for my presence at supper?”
            Nettie paled considerably to her right.

            Matilda merely presented a staunch expression. “It would appear so, girl. Make yourself look presentable. You shan’t disappoint the King.”

            Alana swallowed back a tight knot in her throat. “I cannot-“

            “You don’t have a choice.” Matilda snapped, “The King has asked specifically for you-if you refuse to show, surely you’ll face dire consequences.” With that, the ample woman strolled from the room.

            “What am I to do, Nettie?”

            Some color returned to Nettie’s face and her cousin turned to fully face her. “You’ll go to dinner as requested.”

            Someone suddenly stormed into the room, startling both her and Nettie. Alana took a step back, somewhat frightened by the sheer anger contorting Curran’s face.

             “Leave.” He growled to Nettie.

            Her cousin hastened from the room but not before exchanging a worried look with Alana and she knew her cousin wouldn’t be far from the hall.

            “The King suddenly has an interest in you, why is that?” he demanded, stepping toward her.

            “I know naught.”

            “Surely you know-“

            “How should I know?” she snapped, “If I did, I certainly wouldn’t tell you.”

            His hand lashed out and he jerked her against him. “I should take you here and now and be done with it!”

            Alana felt a tremor run through her but she was determined not to show it. She had heard many a frightening things of Curran and though the thought deeply frightened her, she didn’t understand why Curran hesitated to act on his impulses.

            She was beginning to wonder if Fallon had been right about Curran. Did Curran truly have strong feelings for her?

            His silver eyes fell to her lips and she stiffened. If that were so, her feelings were not the same and she would fight Curran all the way.

            Slowly, he unfurled his hand from around her arm. “Dinner will prove to be interesting.”

            Alana dreaded supper. She hadn’t seen Fallon since that previous day and in that moment, she wished she had. Had Fallon said something to provoke the King? Why was he suddenly so interested in her? Was it simply because she was Saxon? Did he view her as a hindrance to Rosalind and Fallon’s supposed troth?

            She had heard that the Conqueror was a man of ruthless traits. She much doubted he would show her any consideration; he would mostly likely banish her from Linden than crack a smile.

            She prolonged and dallied as much as she could but it wasn’t long before a subtle knock sounded at her door, proclaiming dinner.

            Sighing heavily, she moved to open it and was seemingly startled to find a bristling Rosalind on the other side.

            Dark, sloe eyes narrowed angrily. “What have you said to the King?” she demanded.

            Alana blanched, “I have said nothing.”

            “Nonsense!” the woman shrieked in a harsh whisper, “You and Fallon have conspired against me-you have bewitched him! Come, I will have it, what did you say to him?”
            Alana raised her chin to level her with an impassive glare. “Whether I spoke with the King or not, I most certainly do not have to tell you.”

            Rosalind’s eyes glinted daggers, “Why you impertinent wench! I could have you flogged you know?”

            Alana met her fierce-some glare. “You can try.”

            A sudden glimmer of something evil brightened her ebony stare. “No need-“ Rosalind pursed her lips with a hint of a grin, “-once the King is through with you, I’ll have Fallon all to myself.”

            Alana stiffened and felt a fleeting alarm.

            Rosalind smirked as if she had already entangled Fallon and disappeared down the hall, leaving Alana dreading the evening all the more.

            Fallon shifted uneasily in his chair, though he attempted to conceal his worries from his King, it proved more difficult as his eyes continuously drew to the doors.

            It wouldn’t be long before Alana strolled through them, drawing every attention in the room, especially the shrewd, dark leer of William.

            He couldn’t fathom William’s motives. He didn’t know whether the King himself intended to take Alana from him, to simply take the problem from the equation, so to speak.

            Had Rosalind voiced her opinions?

            Even as his eyes scanned the hall, he couldn’t find his betrothed and he wondered suspiciously at her whereabouts. Rosalind was not to be trusted, especially when it concerned Alana. She viewed Alana as a threat and he believed Rosalind capable of troubling straits.

            “What have you enamored?” William’s heavy lilt drew him from his thoughts.

            Fallon peered at his King, uncertain if he had heard correctly. “My liege?”

            The room grew boisterous as hungry men settled at the table. Fallon’s men settled alongside him, while Curran’s men settled along the opposite. Fallon took keen notice to Curran’s absence.

            He drew his attention to his King, “I am not certain I understand you.”

            The two of them spoke quietly, only loud enough for their ears alone. “I wish to know what has you so enamored of this woman-aside from her beauty.”

            Fallon resisted a grin, “What makes you think she is beautiful?”

            William smirked, “I know you well enough to know that any woman you take to bed is of some exquisiteness.”

            When Fallon remained silent, William arched a brow at this. “You have yet to bed her?”
            Were his thoughts that transparent?

            “I do not wish to simply bed her.” Had he truly spoken the words aloud?

            His response seemed to surprise his King. “I had never thought you capable of love, Fury. Pray tell, how did you come by this woman?”

            Fallon bit down on his response. He was slightly taken aback that he and his King were speaking so casually of love but surprisingly it came naturally without hesitation. “She is Saxon.”

            William’s countenance darkened considerably, “I find it a bit disconcerting to think you have fallen for a Saxon maid.”

            “She saved my life.”
            William’s expression shifted to sheer surprise. “How so?”

            “The battle of Hastings-I was attacked and left for dead. She found me, restored me and in return, we attacked her village, killed her people.” He felt a swift pang of turmoil seize him, realizing for the first time how terribly painful that must have been for Alana. “Despite being her enemy, she risked much and healed my wounds.”

            William listened intently but something out of his peripheral drew his attention-he averted his eyes and was caught unexpectedly by a rush of intrigue as a woman with an incredible shade of red hair whisked into the hall.

            He grinned with aroused curiosity as the woman made her way to them. “Beautiful indeed, Fury.”

**********

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

211 98 42
Lady Emilea has only ever wanted to be accomplished like her siblings. Yet, no matter how much she studies politics and trains with the bow, she is l...
121K 3.3K 62
Fallon Crow, a strong-headed powerful assassin, who wants revenge. Also known as the bastard child of a lord. Raze Aeden, the king of a country he n...
331 54 26
Lyric. There was nothing extraordinary about her, at least not in her mind. She was nothing but a young servant in a wealthy farmer's house, picking...
75K 4.5K 42
Elle Fallon, a girl from a starving dystopian town, breaks the most absolute law to save her sister. The outraged, deadly king orders her to become o...