Heart and Home~ Edmund Pevens...

By the_metanoia

Fauns dancing around fires. Griffins soaring high. Unicorns galloping across wide fields and centaurs battlin... More

Chapter 1: New arrivals
Chapter 2: Hide and Seek
Chapter 3: Secrets of a wardrobe
Chapter 4: Siblings
Chapter 5: We told you so!
Chapter 6: Jadis... Queen of Narnia?
Chapter 7: The Beaver's house
Chapter 8: Tumnus and the witch
Chapter 9: Merry Witchmas
Chapter 10: The not-so-secret Army
Chapter 11: The Witch's Camp
Chapter 12: A Sudden Change
Chapter 13: The Cold Mother
Chapter 14: Aslan...
Chapter 15: Home
Chapter 16: Death and Life. Heart and Home.
Chapter 18: Darkest of Times
Chapter 19: Long Live the Kings and Queens
Chapter 20: Abandon
FAN ART
Cover Contest!
Winner!
Fate and Love
Chapter 1| The Message
Chapter 2| Prince Caspian
Chapter 3| Edmund
Chapter 4| Narnians
Chapter 5| Councils and Kisses
Chapter 6| Late Nights and Early Mornings
Chapter 7| A memoir of heartache
Chapter 8| Aslan's How
Chapter 9| Fire and Ice
Chapter 10| Torture
Chapter 11| Dead or Alive
Chapter 12| Negotiate
Chapter 13| King against King
Chapter 14| For King and Country
Chapter 15| The Call
Faith and Time
Chapter 1: Edmund
Chapter 2: The Tale of an Old Soul
Chapter 3: A glimpse of pain
Chapter 4: Ghost Town
Chapter 5: Do Not Go Gentle
Chapter 6: Unchained
Chapter 7: Awakening
Chapter 8: Island
Chapter 9: Voyage
Chapter 10: The Gold of Midas
Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 12: Liliandil
Chapter 13: Dulce est Decorrum est Pro patria mori
Chapter 14: Revelations
Epilogue

Chapter 17: On we must go...

10.8K 424 47
By the_metanoia

Amelia couldn't hear anything; not the Witch yelling out orders, the minotaur's roar or the crying of the two Pevensie girls. Amelia couldn't see anything; her vision became blurry as the tears rolled down her face. Her senses were dull; there was no touch, no smell and no taste of fresh air, however, her mind was racing.

"I trust you will lay down your life in courage to protect them..."

"I need to know that you will fight for them when I can't..."

"What do you feel?"

"Trust yourself..."

They waited for the Witch's army to clear out before they approached the stone table. Amelia walked, only able to focus on placing one foot in front of the other. It felt like a piece of Narnia was missing from the world; like she had lost an old friend. The spirit inside Amelia was mourning, she could feel it. As she walked, she imagined her power like she did with Aslan in the woods. It was no longer vibrant and full of movement, but it was small, stagnant and grey. Her heart could barely pump it into her veins.

As they got closer, Amelia could see the tuffs of hair on the floor. His hair. The lion lay before them, cold, still and never to wake. Lucy rushed to climb the stone steps before she sat beside him - a look of loss on her face. She started fiddling around, grabbing at her waist belt for something. She then pulled out a big vial filled with a honey coloured liquid. Amelia didn't know what it was, but Susan did.

"It's too late," she said, "He's gone..."

Those words pierced Amelia like a dagger to the heart. She wanted to cry, to let the tears fall in hope that they would release the agony inside, but she refused to release. Aslan told her to be strong and now that he was gone, she had to lead their people into battle. She had to protect them, and she would.

Susan joined Lucy on the stone table while Amelia stood before them. Amelia could see the turmoil they were both feeling; they had known the lion for far longer than she did.

"He must've known what he was doing," Susan attempted to comfort Lucy.

The young girl barely registered Susan's words before she broke down in tears. Her older sister joined her as they both lay on Aslan's body. Amelia had to close her eyes, concentrating on staying strong for her people like Aslan would want, but despite all her effort a lone tear managed to roll down her left cheek.

"I have to go," the words left Amelia's mouth before she could even think, "I have to tell the others... it's up to us now. I have to protect them," she looked at the two sisters, hoping they will join her, "The Narnians, they will want to see you. You both will help to ease the grief."

Susan shook her head and sniffled before she spoke through her tears, "Not yet. We'll come when we're ready."

Amelia sent a small smile her way in hopes of comforting the older Pevensie, "Okay," she looked into the trees and had a thought. It was a long shot, but perhaps she could...Silently, through the soil between her and the treeline, she focused on sending her thoughts to the great wood. Surprisingly, she received a reply. Only a hushed whisper, but it was there nonetheless. Turning to the two sisters, she spoke, "The trees. The moment you're ready, they'll guide you back to camp and if there is any news, they will bring it to me." She hugged the two girls, "See you later?"

Lucy answered, despite her tears and grief, "See you later."

As Amelia entered the treeline, she felt a sense of pride through her saddness. She used her power and had full control of it. That thought alone gave her hope... perhaps she was stronger than she knew. She refused to let Aslan down. He died for a reason and she knew that she would not let his death go to waste.

She walked over to a large Redwood tree that stood next the path. Gently, she placed her hand on its trunk and closed her eyes, imagining her power. It was still grey inside of her, but even though the Great Lion had left them only hours before, it was recovering. Slowly, a green hue started to take over the dullness as her power slowly starting growing, moving and changing. She felt the spirit sensing her thoughts of leading the Narnians to victory. Somehow, she knew that it wanted to defeat the witch... as revenge for the Narnians and for Aslan. Obeying her command, her power helped her speak to the tree, Send the news forward to camp. Tell Peter and Edmund to prepare for war and that I'm on my way to help.

A light breeze flowed through the forest and the leaves of the tree were blown away, her message with them. Amelia smiled as she watched them fly, she hoped she would only get stronger in time. Yes, speaking to trees and sensing the soil was helpful, but she needed to be stronger for battle. As this thought crossed her mind, there was a stirring inside her. Her power was preparing.

The walk back to the camp was a long one, but the moment she arrived – just before sunrise – she saw the Narnians preparing. They still held strength, Amelia could feel it. Silently, she walked through the camp towards Aslan's tent where she knew Peter and Edmund would be. Many Narnians passed by and offered their condolences, and she did the same to them. It seemed that everyone had lost someone dear to them, and everyone was being strong for each other.

Amelia neared the edge of the camp where a lone red and gold tent stood. Outside, Peter, Edmund and Orieus were standing by a table; figurines representing the Narnian army stood scattered all over the surface of the table on a large map of the battlefield. Amelia walked closer, the three not seeing her, but continuing their conversation.

"Then you'll have to lead us," Edmund said, "Peter, there's an army out there... and it's ready to follow you."

"I can't," Peter refused.

"Of course you can," Amelia suddenly spoke up from behind Peter, giving them all a fright. She joined them at the table; Edmund and Peter's eyes still wide from shock, "To be King doesn't mean sunshine and glory with no hard work. You need to earn your position, Peter, and the Narnians are ready to help you defeat the Witch and earn the title of King."

Edmund seemed to suddenly wake from a daze and jumped to help Amelia "Aslan believed you could, and so do I."

Peter and Amelia both looked at Edmund – Amelia in shock and admiration and Peter in realization and pride. It seemed that it wasn't just the fact that those words were said, it was because they were said by Edmund; the boy who always fought, defied and angered his older brother.

"The Witch's army is nearing, sire," Orieus spoke for the first time, "What are your orders?"

Like a well-oiled machine, Peter, Edmund and Amelia started moving the figurines. Together, they came up with a strategy, one they were sure would earn them victory.

In no time at all, they were marching. Peter, on his white unicorn, and Orieus lead the army at the head while Edmund and Amelia followed just after them on foot. Amelia was originally given some spare armor, however, she only kept the bare breast plate, dark leather pants and forearm guards. She needed movement when she used her power, and the full knight armor restricted her. A lady blacksmith – a centaur by the name of Jule – did agreed to 'jazz up' the armor for the Silvanus. The front of the breastplate and the forearm guards were now covered in a vine-like pattern with leaves like the one on the necklace hanging from her neck.

Her only weapons were her powers and the bow on her back. She was hesitant to take the bow – she had never shot one before and was worried that her inexperience may lead her to accidentally kill one of their own – but Edmund insisted that she not only rely on her powers. He knew her control over them was limited.

As they marched, Amelia could feel the restlessness among the Narnians and the nature. The trees were whispering relentlessly and the ground was anxious for blood to be spilled. The wind was calm, but every now and then a strong gust of air would blow her hair back; so many whispers.

"What was it like?" Edmund's voice suddenly dragged Amelia out of her thoughts.

"What was what like?" she asked.

"You know," he said, "Watching him as he died." He took a deep breath before continuing, clearly nervous, "I didn't know him as long as Peter and the girls, but he still sent that army to save us back at the camp. We didn't know him and yet he still risked his troops to get us out. When that dryad came into our tent this morning and told us that he was gone, it felt like there was debt to him that I still had to pay. It felt like I'd left things... unfinished."

Amelia sighed before placing a hand on his shoulder, "I don't know why he went to the Witch. I don't know why he sacrificed himself, but all I know is that Aslan was not a dumb lion. He knew what he was doing. There was a reason for his death, and there is no doubt in my mind that he is looking at us right now and giving us strength." She pulled him in slightly for a side hug before continuing, "I promised Aslan that I would lead his people if he could not do it himself, but I can't do that alone. The Narnians have Peter, they have Orieus and they have me, but they need you."

He gave her a small smile, one that held all the nervousness, the anxiousness and the worry. She returned it before they continued to march in silence.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.4K 32 15
1300 years after they are first called, the Pevensies are brought back to the land they once ruled over. A group of pirates who had journeyed throug...
4.5K 120 22
-{She who has received the roar, shall bring Magic to all where there was none before. }- Amy is whisked along to Narnia with the Pevensies where she...
3.5K 44 15
Isabel Pevensie, as the eldest of her siblings, has a responsibility to care for her brothers and sisters; especially the younger two. The five are...