Lavivrus

By voif1d

When mankind woke up something they should not, they soon found themselves on the verge of extinction. Earth... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Final

Chapter 7

543 49 9
By voif1d

Pain shot up Shai's leg. He flinched.

"Hold still," Fabian told him, a bottle of disinfectant in his hands.

A large shard of glass lay beside the injured boy on the bunk where he sat. His outstretched leg was being doctored. Messy stitches held the previous hole together.

Near him Lake was pacing back and forth. "Why?" He repeated for what felt like the hundredth time to the listeners.

Mav was exploring the armory and other supplies within the bunker while Roanna was wordlessly doing the same beside him. Asumi was curled up on a bunk, her back turned to the others.

"So." Fabian looked up from where he had just placed gauze on Shai's leg. "When do we leave?"

Lake stopped pacing. "No. We should stay."

"No rescue will be coming," Mav spoke without turning from where he was handling a shotgun.

Shai watched as Lake stuck the gauze on with duct tape. It wasn't ideal, but their supplies were limited.

"If we go out there we will die." Lake jabbed a finger at the door. "It's just a matter of when."

"We already talked about this." Having completed his job, Fabian got to his feet. "Our best option is to make our way to the outpost at the harbor. Who knows, maybe we'll find a scavenging group along the way."

"Not likely." Roanna added her input. She picked up a fuel can and shook it only to be rewarded with a sloshing.

"On top of that, there're infected and infectors everywhere out there." Lake eyed the can.

"And if we stay here we'll run out of what rations we have. Not to mention power." Fabian shot a glance at the lights. "The batteries won't last much longer. Would you rather die here than at least give it a fight?"

"We can set up...wait until the bombers come back," Lake pointed out. "Besides, the outpost is too far! With the condition of the roads it'll take a week if we drive...and that's if we even have enough fuel..."

"What's wrong?" Roanna raised her eyebrows. "You don't have legs to walk on?"

Lake opened his mouth to reply but Shai beat him to it. "We'll face the problem when we get to it." He slowly got to his feet. Putting his weight down on his injured leg he winced.

"Heads up."

He caught the bottle Roanna tossed at him just in time. Turning it around he was pleasantly surprised to see it was painkillers. Shai nodded his thanks.

Mav let out a grunt. He clutched something in his hands as he walked over. He threw the object on the ground a proceeded to unroll a map.

"That'll be useful." Roanna leaned against the door that separated the weapons from the rest of the room.

Fabian and Shai walked over to take a closer look.

"We're around here." Mav pointed to a spot. "Our outpost is..." his finger traced along it until it came to the edge of land by an ocean. "Here."

Shai's eyes scanned the route as he unscrewed the bottle of meds.

"Quickest way is this..." Mav pointed it out, "But..."

"Lots of towns." Shai was quick to pick out the problem. He popped a pill in his mouth, swallowing it dry.

Mav nodded. He leaned back on his hunches. "Higher chances of hordes and infectors."

"But also fuel and supplies," Roanna voiced. "Also, we could get lucky and run across a scavenging team."

"And a 99.9% chance of death," Lake muttered as he leaned back against the wall.

"I would put it more around 72," Roanna told him. She gave him a sidelong glance. "Though maybe it's 99.9 for you."

Lake shot her a glare.

"We could go the longer route..." Fabian pointed it out. "More country, a few towns so some supplies..."

Shai shook his head. "And yet it would probably add another three days to our journey."

"More time for Infectors to find us," Roanna added. "I vote for the quicker one."

Mav nodded.

"I shouldn't have stayed behind," Lake complained.

"But we're mighty glad you did." Fabian clamped a hand on his shoulder. "Because if you hadn't, who would we have to listen to whining?"

Lake scowled while Fabian grinned at him cheekily.

Shai chuckled.

"Well, should we vote on the route?" Mav asked. He looked around. "Those in favor for the shorter route?"

Roanna's hand shot up.

Fabian sighed before following her lead. Shai nodded his agreement.

"Longer?" Mav asked.

Nothing.

Lake refused to vote and Asumi didn't move from where she lay. She looked asleep, yet Shai was sure that wasn't the case.

"Shorter it is." Mav rolled up the map. "I suggest we stock up and head out. That way we'll make good progress by dark." His eyes travelled to the curled up Asumi. "We're all going to have to be on high alert to make this work."

There was no movement from her end.

"Let's see if we can find some more fuel." Roanna headed back to the weapons.

"We're all going to die," Lake muttered.

"Stay if you want," Mav shot back.

"Psh." Fabian threw an arm around Lake's shoulder. "This one just likes to complain. He'll warm up to the idea once we're under way." He turned to face his friend. "Think of it as a road trip." He flashed a grin.

"What road trip has death waiting at every corner?"

"The fun ones." Fabian pulled Lake closer. "Besides, it's a good chance to see if all that survival training did you any good."

Lake muttered something under his breath.

Shai stopped watching the two to join Roanna in searching through more supplies. He was sure to find another rifle and some more ammo. However, he noticed that there were fewer guns than the last time they had been there. The soldiers must have taken some when going home. He grabbed a smaller revolver. Once bullets run out we'll have to get creative.

"How far do you think we'll make it?" Roanna has scooted up next to him. She had spoken softly enough so the others didn't hear.

Shai gave her a sidelong glance.

The girl turned to let her eyes meet his. "How far?" she repeated.

Shai looked behind. Lake swatted at Fabian who was teasing him about whining, and Mav was still looking at the map, as though planning their route. Asumi lay where she was, not moving a muscle. Shai turned back to throwing supplies into a duffle bag. He picked up a revolver and began to load it. "All the way."

Roanna let out a snort. She shook her head. "You know that's not likely..." she shot a glance behind before leaning in closer, "I bet the girl in mourning will be the first to go."

Loaded, the revolver was snapped shut. Shai turned to look right at Roanna. "If anyone made it, it would be her."

"Oh?" Roanna took a step back. Her voice was no longer kept low. "And why's that?"

Shai's lips twitched. He leaned closer. Roanna stiffened and he felt the girl hold her breath. He put his mouth right beside her ear. "That," he whispered. He felt the girl shiver. "You'll see." With that he turned, loaded revolver in one hand. He walked toward where Asumi was curled up.

"I'm going to start loading up the truck," Fabian announced.

"Don't get bit," Lake muttered.

Fabian grabbed a bag full of weapons and slung it over his shoulder. His other hand shot out and latched on to the other boy's ear. "That's why you're coming with me."

"Hey!" Lake yelped as he was dragged toward the door.

Ignoring them, Shai continued on his path. He came to a stand behind Asumi as the door opened and the other two boys disappeared out of it. Mav was rolling the map, eyes darting up briefly to where Shai was. Roanna had returned to sorting through supplies.

For a moment Shai stood in silence, gazing down at the form of the girl before him. Finally he reached out a hand. He put it on her shoulder. The girl went stiff.

"We're leaving soon," he began.

A hand reached up and slapped his away from her shoulder.

"I vote we leave her." Roanna spoke without turning around.

Mav grunted as he got to his feet.

Shai ignored them both. He checked the safety of the revolver was on and then tossed it. It landed on the side Asumi was facing.

"We don't have a lot of ammo. Headshots. Make it count. When we're out, your skills will be an asset." Asumi didn't move as he spoke and yet he continued. "Make them pay. Living is the only way you can do that." Still no movement. Done with what he had to say, Shai turned. He picked up a backpack and a fuel can. Without a word he walked to the door.

He exited just as Lake and Fabian returned. They brushed past each other. Shai trudged to the car, cold air nipping at his face. He found the bags the others had already placed in the back. Throwing his own in, he turned just as Roanna and Mav came up with more supplies.

"I wouldn't have given her a loaded weapon," Roanna informed him as she walked by.

Shai didn't reply. He headed back for the bunker. Behind him he hear thumps of more bags being added to the others. Feet padded and Roanna came up next to him.

"She'll either shoot her own brains out for go crazy on us."

Shai didn't even shoot her a glance. "She'll be fine."

Roanna lifted her hands in the air. "I'm just saying. She goes cray cray and you'll be taking responsibility."

Having come to the bunker, Shai paused. "You're worrying an awful lot about her." He reached for the door. A hand shot out and pressed against it so that he couldn't pull it open. Shai turned to look at the girl blocking his way.

"If we're going to make this, we need to work together," Roanna told him firmly. "We need to all be of sound mind."

Mav came up behind the two.

"If one breaks down it could be the end of the entire group." Roanna's eyes burned. "That girl in there worries me. She might be what gets me killed."

Mav watched the exchange in silence.

"That's why I'm worried," Roanna told him.

Shai held eye contact for a moment longer. Then, not saying anything, he pulled on the door. Roanna pressed down harder.

"If she doesn't pull it together, we all die," she said.

Mav chuckled. Seeming surprised, the girl's strength waned. Taking the chance, Shai pulled the door open.

"What's so funny?" he heard Roanna demand.

Still chuckling, Mav pushed his way past. He paused by the entrance as Shai walked in.

"That you have the order wrong." Mav walked after Shai. "See," he did little to keep his voice down. "We all died the moment our way out left." Another chuckle escaped. Reaching the middle of the room he whirled to face a confused-looking Roanna. "It's up to us to come back to life by making it out of this death pit in one piece."

Lake and Fabian both looked up from where they were grabbing more supplies.

"I don't mean to ruin the party, but I don't think the chances are very high," Lake muttered.

"Sure they are," Fabian slapped him across the back. "Just don't get bit." He paused, looking thoughtful. "Or mutilated," was added after a moment.

"Geeze, so many ways to go," Lake grumbled.

Roanna still stood by the door. Shai grabbed another two bags. He turned and walked for the door. By the time he reached the car four of the others were on their way out. Shai waited for them.

"That's the last of it," Fabian informed as he threw the blanket he had carried into the back.

The group looked at the contents in the back of the car.

"I would feel better if we had more firepower," Lake murmured.

"We could go back for one of the armored trucks," Roanna told him.

Lake's eyes widened. "You're joking."

"Half." Roanna turned to the bunker. "We're missing one."

Asumi still hadn't come out.

"Or..." The girl turned to the car. "This does solve the problem of having one too many for the inside..."

Fabian grabbed a hold of the back. With a smooth motion he swung himself up so that he was among the luggage. "Might as well take turns freezing." He grabbed the blanket and slid to the floor. "I'll take the first leg. Some fresh air might help keep my mind clear." He tapped his head. "I can be alert for any...surprises."

Mav eyed the space. "Two at a time might help you last longer...body heat."

Fabian raised an eyebrow. "You offering to cuddle?"

His reply was a snort.

"How about the complaining one joins?" Roanna asked. "That way we don't have to listen to it?"

Lake's eyes narrowed.

"Perfect!" Fabian patted the space next to himself. "Come here, boy," he teased.

His friend glared.

Shai reached out, getting reading to join his friend. The sound of a door slamming made him stop. All heads turned.

Asumi walked from the bunker. The revolved dangled from one hand as she marched forward, head lowered. She walked right past the group and without a word pulled herself up in the back. She settled next to Fabian, who responded by sharing the blanket.

"That works too," Roanna muttered.

"Guess it's decided." Mav turned to the front.

"Ah!" Roanna beat him to the driver's side. "I'll be driving if you don't mind."

The other boy responded by walking around and grabbing shotgun. The engine roared to life.

Lake jumped in behind and Shai opened the other door. He paused briefly to shoot a glance at the two in the back. Asumi sat, her head buried in her knees. The revolver lay next to her. Fabian had shifted over so that he was right next to her, the gun within arm's reach.

"You getting in?" Lake called.

Turning, Shai entered. It was still cold inside but comforting to know that it would soon warm up. No sooner did he slam the door shut than the car launched forward.

"You all ready to come back to life?" Roanna asked.

Lake grumbled something under his breath and neither Mav nor Shai replied.

"Such a lively bunch." Roanna turned the car onto the road.

As they headed off Shai leaned back. He gazed out the window at the rising sun. He tried not to dwell on the dangers of the journey ahead, and so turned his thoughts elsewhere. Instantly the thing nagging at the back of his mind came up.

She made it...right? Warm air blasted through the car. There's only one way to really find out. His eyes filled with determination. I have to survive. His eyes darted to the other three sitting in sight. He had a feeling that the task was going to be a lot harder than any of them thought.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

143 6 21
What happens when humanity's hope rests on the shoulder of a teenager? Caleb didn't come out of the zombie uprising unscathed. He's been scarred-bot...
7.2K 600 49
Ever thought surviving first period and facing her best friend's boyfriend - whom she recently kissed - was going to be the hardest part of her day...
210 16 16
In February of 2009, a man went to the hospital to be treated for a brain tumor. Upon further examination, another unknown virus in this man's brain...
9.3K 440 79
Hi I'm Sharyl and join me to the future time. 3050, there's a virus spread all over the world. Can teenagers like us can solve this? Can we fight aga...