The Art Of Seduction ✓

By AntagonistPains

(Highest in TF #15) Meet Kaden Nowell; he's the head of the football team, smart, cunning and the boy who ne... More

The Art Of Seduction
|01| The Bet
|02| Punish
|03| Thunder
|04| Slip
|05| Stakes
|06| Consent
|07| Enemy
|08| Ignore
|09| Longing
|10| Drink
|11| Shift
|12| Accidents
|13| Drum
|14| Tango
|15| Secrets
|17| For Him
|18| Fall
|19| Home
|20| Sunday Dinner
|21| Unsteady
|22| Cheer
|23| Apologise
|24| Flunk
|25| Run
|26| Bitter
|27| Forgiven
|28| Mother
|29| Mask
|30| Storm before Silence
|31| 1st December
|32| Anger
|33| Warning
|34| Birthday
|35| Bet
|36| Sober
|37| Why
|38| Numb
|39| Forget
|40| Unrequited
|41| Christmas
|42| January
|43| Valentines Day
|44| The First Game
|45| Growl
|46| Football Season
|47| The Last Time
Epilogue
Playlist
BONUS: Attention | Kaden + Amber
BONUS: Birthday
BONUS: New Beginnings

|16| New

19.8K 840 276
By AntagonistPains

4K words, c'mon that deserves a vote doesn't it? Please please please vote and comment!  As most of you are aware, I've entered this story in the Watty's and I'll really need your help to stand a chance of winning!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

  "Number one, cash is king... number two, communicate... number three, buy or bury the competition." 
Jack Welch

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT'S NORMAL TO be afraid of change. I was afraid when my father left to work overseas. I was afraid when Allison left school. I was afraid that Kaden and I weren't going to be a quick fuck. That there was going to be more complications to it. 

But nothing could have prepared me to have seen what I saw in his eyes. It was enough for me to wonder what was I thinking about accepting Tassia's bet. I didn't expect this to come with it. In that brief moment when Kaden finished playing High Hopes, I'd been able to imagine us growing up together, me being there for him when his father died, helping him cope, joking, laughing with him. Kaden and I. Myself and Kaden.

I could see it.

I was very sure he could have to. Both of us could have been wondering, what if we had never fought and lost each other. What if things had happened differently. It hurt to want it. 

But things hadn't happened differently, Kaden was a ever calculative person, who lacked sincerity 99% of the time, the only 1% was when he was playing the drums. But when he did, God, I missed seeing him so unguarded, so uncalculated.

People never understood why I hated him. But they never knew the Kaden I did, they know the one who planned and has imagined the situation dozens of times before so he knew, almost instinctively, what to say and do that would leave you thinking about the charming brown haired boy. 

It wasn't the same as being sincere and charming, it was more colder, far less honest and honesty meant a lot to me. I left quickly after, I needed time away from him. As I all but ran to the door, Kaden's mum stopped me, "Hey, Amber, would you like to stay for dinner?"

I thought about all the dinners we've shared, with silence fraught with tension and sarcastic comments. Today, temptation surged through me to stay but I was in to deep, I could still hear him play so beautifully to Kodaline, and the wounds were so fresh for both of us. "Thank you so much-"

"You should join us for dinner," A distinctively male voice interrupted. I looked up to see Kaden halfway down the stairs, still shirtless with sweat running down his body. His mother turned to glance at him before turning to me, with an expectant smile on her face.

I was still going to have dinner with them next week when my father came home, but looking at Kaden's mum and recalling our brief moment I found it hard to turn down the offer. I smiled at them, "That'll be great."

Kaden's mum smiled, clasping her hands heading to the kitchen. I was going to follow her when Kaden said, "Hey, do you want to go back to my room? I could teach you something on the drums?"

A genuine grin crept up my features and I nodded, following the shirtless boy back to his room. True to his word, Kaden taught me a basic beat, and I was practising while Kaden meddled on his phone. Practising the beat Kaden taught me took up most of my time and focus. It wasn't easy, despite how easy Kaden made it seem. 

"Relax your fingers, princess."

I glanced up to look at him, who had returned back to his phone. "Who're you messaging now?"

He smirked, "Does it bother you?"

"Why would it?"

I hit the clash loudly, then tried to do the beat, counting in my head to four. "You're fingers aren't relaxed Princess."

I tried to relax them, then I tried the same beat.

Kaden groaned moving towards me. It should have hit me then what he was going to do but it didn't even register till I felt his shirtless chest behind me, his fingers held my fingers. Instead of relaxing, I tensed. The room was warm, but he was warmer, drenched in sweat. Having actively participated in sports, I wasn't a stranger to sweat but I still found it repulsive. "You're sweaty," I said nose scrunched up.

Deliberately he moved nearer, our backs touching and his sweat rubbing off on my shirt, I scowled, trying to move away. 

"Are you hitting on me?"

"You do realise the world isn't into you, Lewitt."

"You're one to talk," I said defiantly, noting how he stopped calling me princess.

"Well, have fun playing without my help," Kaden growled slumping back into the bed, texting on the phone. 

I ignored him, playing with his drum set.(Frankly, I was slaughtering the beat.) We stayed in silence, none of us breaking it till his mother knocked his door, before opening it. "Dinner's ready you two," She said grinning, oblivious to the sullen mood we both fell into. 

Kaden got out of the bed, grabbing a towel as he wiped off his sweat and put on a shirt. I moved to go outside of his room. I helped his mother set up the table, Kaden came down wearing a lose black muscle tank and the same shorts from earlier. He sat in his spot. I waited for Kaden's mum to sit down, before taking the free seat on the rectangle wooden table beside his mum, across Kaden. The evening was quiet, with Kaden's mother trying to start a conversation rolling but fumbling. 

It would have been far better if I hadn't stayed over.

One step forward and two steps back. It felt more like Kaden and I were doing the real tango compared to Joey and I. If both of us were to dance, I could see Kaden promptly refusing to look at me, eyes cast away the whole time but we'd be able to move in perfect sync because we'd know the other's movements. Joey and I were not suited for that dance, which was perfectly fine with me, because I liked guessing his movements, I liked how he looked at me even though he didn't need to. I liked how he held me easily and effortlessly.

I didn't know Joey as long as I knew Kaden, nor did I love him the way I love James, but I could see myself with him. Which was something I couldn't see myself doing with the other boys.

When it came to reality, love wasn't enough to save James and I. I looked at the Sheperds Pie, Kaden's mum graciously gave me. James favourite food. My heart ached as I thought of him. His smile, his laugh, his everything.

I loved James.

But love wasn't enough. I didn't know what the following morning would bring for the two of us, nor the days that followed after. In my mind, I always felt that James and I would be together, properly after high school. I felt that somehow our feelings for each other would last the test of time. 

I was, unfortunately wrong.

We wouldn't last the test of time, but I didn't expect my feelings to be crushed so soon.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

MONDAY MORNING STARTED with me standing grumpily alone at my locker. Sure, I promised Rekha I'd help her babysit the new girl, but it was pretty exhausting waiting for her at my locker. People flocked to talk to me, asking me questions that ranged from cheerleading to Winters ball to Kaden. I tried to be civil, but it was hard when you were absolutely bored with it.

When Rekha finally came with the new girl in tow, I was relieved. Like Rekha had promised, the new girl was without a doubt pretty. She had blonde hair curled at the edges in large gentle curls, her eyes were a vivid blue and her features looked very symmetrical. She wore a blue crop top, revealing a strong abdomen and a black skirt that didn't make her look pale but seemed to highlight her tan. In her arms she carried a white jacket more suited for the cold weather than her attire.

I'd like to think students turned to glance at her because of her tan, because in this English weather a real tan was few and far between, but I was quiet certain it was also for the way she looked. She smiled, a perfectly (artificial) white smile at me. Rekha led her to me, the girls who flocked to me, took a step back, smiling at Rekha. "Hey Amber, this is Grace Chambers, Grace, this is Amber." 

I shook her hand, smiling at the girl, noting how firm her fingers were. "It's nice to see you here Grace," I said cheerily, "I'm sure you'll love it."

Rekha smiled at me approvingly, before she turned apologetically to the girl, "I've got some student council duties to attend to, so I hope you won't mind Amber showing you around."

Grace returned Rekha's smile, "I'm sure I won't." Her accent was prominent but it didn't seem as thick, perhaps she'd been here for longer than I thought. Rekha bid us farewell, before leaving. I turned to look at the girl, smiling a smile that I hoped suggested that I was willing for us to become best friends. 

"Do you have your schedule with you?" I asked kindly.

She pulled it out, easily, her eyes scanning the crowds of students walking around. We were both here pretty early, so there were more students that flocked the hallways. I scanned her classes, noting she was in two of my classes, English and Chemistry. I looked up at the blonde girl, envying her hair before I said, "We've two classes together."

"Which?" She asked, interested.

"Chemistry and English," I smiled at her, "You'll like English," I said because while I loved chemistry, the chemistry teacher was a bit of a bore. "He's the engaging sort of teacher."

"Sounds pleasant," She said smiling back at me. Her eyes glanced to my hair before meeting my eyes. I knew what she was going to ask before she asked, "Is your hair naturally that colour?"

"Yep," I said cheerily.

"Wow, it's so bright." Envy filled her features, which surprised me, "I wish I had hair like that."

"Trust me, you don't," I responded, "Let's go."

She followed my strides, I could see easily she was a flier, she had the body and balance for it. "Well, I do want that colour, no matter what you say. It's really eye-catching."

My lips curled, "Thanks, most people wouldn't really want that colour."

Grace scoffed, "You clearly haven't been to New York, everyone there dyes their hair red at some point or the other."

I grinned at her, "Have you tried?"

She nodded, "Twice, the colour didn't stay. The first time it made my hair strawberry blonde and the second brownish." She let out a sigh, "I really wish the colour would stay, can you imagine me in red hair?"

I glanced at the blue eyed blonde again, I lied, "Yeah, I can. You're right, you'd look fantastic with red hair." The last part wasn't a lie, because of her tanned skin, I was positive she'd suit the colour. 

Throughout the brief tour I gave her, she seemed engaged, intrigued and fascinated. She didn't pull out any English stereotypes either. Which I was undeniably grateful for. The best part about Grace Chambers? Well, she really wanted us to be friends. Which made my job of pacifying the competition far more easier. 

When I led her to our table at lunch, I noticed the other three girls approving eyes on me. 

  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬  

IT WAS RAINING cats and dogs. I pulled the warm blanket over my head, so I could stop the lightning flashes and could try to sleep. I tried to stifle the sobs. I was absolutely alone, Allison left earlier for a party and was very unlikely to come back with rain this bad and my mum hadn't come back from work. 

It wouldn't be the first time, I wished my mother was around. I wanted to go downstairs but I knew I'd have a clear view of the lightning flashes from the multitude of windows downstairs. I pushed the blanket away, unable to stand the anticipation of thunder each bright flash of lightning brought me. 

In a brave attempt, I dashed to the light switch turning it on, before heading back in my bed. I pulled out my phone, trying to drown myself in social media, an easy distraction, but the sound of the storm brewing outside frightened me badly. 

Thirty minutes later, the storm was still as strong as it was before, the phone in my hand vibrated. I answered the phone, grateful. "Couldn't sleep?" The familiar teasing voice came through.

"Yeah," I said weakly, but grateful for his voice, it was the closest I could get to a living human being.

"Neither could I," He said, "This will sound strange, but I'm outside your house and I'm getting drenched by the storm, it'll be great if you could open up."

The phone slipped from my fingers slightly, but I held it up, "Pardon?"

He sighed, "Just open your front door."

Disbelief coursed through me, but curiosity won over, I went to the window, peeking in Kaden's room, noting it was dark, not a light shone through. Then turning on all the lights as I moved, I went downstairs to the door.

My fingers grasped the handle, turning the cold handle to reveal a bright flash of lightning and a brown haired, green eyed boy holding a dark umbrella at my doorstep. He walked in, quickly shutting the door as the thunder rumbled into the house. 

Even with Kaden inside my house, it didn't make sense why he was here.

He knew I was afraid of thunder, but that didn't mean he would come over, to keep me company. "I've never actually rendered a girl speechless in all my years of winning girls over," Kaden commented as he put his umbrella in the stand. He took several strides towards the stairs, "Come on, I need a change of clothes, I don't fancy getting sick."

He turned around glancing at me, then his fingers hesitantly wrapped around my wrists, pulling me up gently. He headed towards my room, opening the door and pulling me in.

"Why are you here?" I whispered when we're in my room.

Kaden shrugged, "I didn't like the idea of you alone at home in the storm, when I saw your lights on, I knew you were awake."

"How'd you know I was alone?" I wrapped my arms around myself, standing awkwardly in my room, in my nightgown, not wearing a bra and looking at the wet dark haired boy. It occurred to me, I should get him a towel or something to dry up in, but I was still in shock at seeing the handsome dark haired boy in my room. 

He let out a breath, "Well, your mum's car isn't at home and I saw Allison leave earlier."

That was when I noticed him shivering. It spurred me to move, grabbing my towel and tossing it to Kaden. I went to heater dial turning making it warmer, not as warm as his room but quiet close. "You uh," I didn't have spare clothes for the wet boy, I flushed. "Can take off your shirt."

Kaden does, taking off the damp shirt. That's when I glanced down noticing he wasn't wearing pants. Instead he wore dark blue boxer shorts that reached mid thigh. "Is this your way of getting me to sleep with you?" He teased as another flash of lightning lit my room up. He held the damp shirt in his hands, unsure where to keep it. I took it from him, putting it in the bathroom Allison and I shared. I hung it up, letting it dry.

I jumped when I heard the sound of thunder in the bathroom. My breathing came out faster and I tried to focus on the half naked boy who stood at the edge of my bathroom door. He took several steps in, and touched my shoulder lightly. "Hey Princess," he said softly, "it's just a little sound."

I nodded, opening my eyes and moving back to my room. "If you keep acting like this, I might dare think we're friends," I said softly, more to myself than Kaden.

Kaden responded, "I've my own selfish reasons for being here, just like how all this thunder makes it hard for me to practice." He mimicked drumming while sounding like he was making drum beats and then mimicked the sound of thunder while pretending to be perplexed. 

Perhaps because I was so frightened earlier, so alone that the way Kaden acted became so funny, and the relief I felt at having him here was enough for me to let out a laugh. An honest, real laugh that lasted for minutes before, I felt tears in my eyes as I looked at him.

Kaden didn't say something witty or silly, instead he hugged me. "Hey, I'm here." He was still slightly wet, and water from his hair dripped on me, but my fingers went around his bare body all the same because he was here. That was enough for now. Eventually, I moved away, very conscious again of how little clothing we both were wearing. Kaden didn't seem to notice as he glanced curious at my room. 

"I've never been here," He admitted, looking at the blue coloured room, "It's strange seeing it on the inside."

Lightning flashed again, and he turned glancing at me, "Hey, are you up for a game of monopoly?" He turned on the radio, letting it blare out some random pop song. He looked around my room, curious.

"Two people would be boring."

"Not if one of them is me," Kaden said confidently.

Midway through the game, we heard the sound of my mum coming home. Kaden stayed silent, green eyes meeting mine, as he waited. This was the time, I chased him away, lest my mum find us. Instead of saying anything. I moved to the switch that lit my room up and turned it off, taking my phone, I lit the torchlight up and sat back across the board as I glanced at our pieces, waiting for him to say anything.

He rolled the dice and said, "I'm buying."

I felt the grin creep up my cheeks. We played till long after the storm passed. When Kaden, did eventually leave, the sun was rising up and school would soon start. I tried to sleep for a bit but I couldn't stop the grin that was glued on my face and the nostalgia of how familiar Kaden felt like before. 

  ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬    

SHE EASILY FIT in with us. It was clear that she was used to it. To being popular. She enjoyed conversing with everyone, she knew how to dress, how to flirt and easily fell into our routines. She's laughing with Tallah and Tassia on Wednesday when I came in. 

Grace turned to me, eyes bright, "Hey Amber!" She greeted enthusiastically. 

I smiled back, waving at her, as I crossed the distance. "I love your top," I said looking at the white top that went flawlessly with her tan skin. It hung low, revealing her cleverage but with long sleeves, it looked warm. She matched the top with blue skinny jeans and black boots. Ideal for the cold near winter weather. 

"I love yours. Green looks fantastic on you!" She said generously, "The girls just told me Kaden is your neighbour." 

I looked at the twins, who shrugged, before turning back to the blonde, "Well, he is..."

"Why didn't you mention it? He's such a heartthrob." 

I frowned, Kaden had come up to our table yesterday at lunch, he had also tried to engage Grace in a conversation which Grace had followed but she didn't have the standard flustered look most girls had in Kaden's presence. I'd go as far to say that Kaden had looked slightly flustered. 

Which didn't explain why she was so excited at the news that Kaden was my neighbour. "He isn't, not when you stay next to him."

Tallah and Tassia don't notice anything a miss, Tassia said, "I told you Amber would say that. She's possibly the only girl in this school who can't stand him."

"Why?" Grace turned to look at me.

I made a face, "He's revolting." Grace made a face, that suggested the devil himself should be around, her fingers subtly moved to point behind me.

I felt his arm just as I turned, "Talking about me, Princess?"

My heart jumped slightly, "You'd like that, wouldn't you?" I met his familiar green eyes, looking at the tousled hair, and slight stubble. I raised an eyebrow, "So do what do we owe the pleasure?"

He glanced to Grace briefly, before grinning at me, "Just wanted to tell Grace," He glanced at the blonde, "that she looked absolutely beautiful today."

Annoyance filled me. "Glad you could finally stop looking at your mirror," I said pleasantly.

"Told you," Tassia said.

I turned to glare at her, but she was looking at Grace who laughed at her comment. Grace had a bubbly kind of laugh, the kind that most people wished they had. Thanks to Kaden's arm on my shoulder, I could feel him freeze slightly. When I glanced at Kaden from the corner of my eye, he looked flushed. "I'll spare you the heartache," He said to me, "and leave you ladies alone." His eyes met Grace's before he left.

Grace watched him leave, a small smile on her face. She turned to me, "He likes you." She said.

"That's impossible!" Tassia commented. "They've been at each others neck for as long as I could recall."

Tallah nodded. 

Grace shrugged, "I don't know, I can just tell." Her blue eyes met mine. She looked so sincere and truthful. Grace was from New York, and I wondered briefly if there were truth to her words. She had told us about the city and it's people who were far more secretive and strange compared to that from here.

"I'd like to see the day Kaden and Amber like each other," Tassia mulled over. The bell rang and Tallah and Tassia walked together to their class, while Grace and I went to ours. Along the way, I spotted Joey, who glanced at me the same time. I saw him briefly let a smile slip on to his face. Before I could return the smile, he looked down again. 

Grace asked me, "You like him too, don't you?"

"Who?" I asked, startled. Panic filled me. The only people who knew about Joey and I were in fact Joey and I. With the exception of Kaden, who knew I went out with Joey. While I could see Joey and I being the next golden couple, I didn't want to hurt James since Joey and I did happen at Joey's party. 

"Kaden," Grace said. 

Relief filled me, "No, I don't," I said which was partially true.

Grace shook her head, "Then why did he come up to you under the false impression of him flirting with me?"

I frowned, "What?"

Grace shook her head, "You can't tell me you've never suspected it before." She fiddled with the edges of her white sleeves looking at me, expectantly.

I shrugged, "Well, we're never on the best of terms."

Her eyes squinted for a bit. "You know more than you're letting on, don't you?"

The classroom was already packed with students and our teacher when we reached. Which saved me, momentarily from Grace's ever watchful eyes.

She was far too observant, far to smart. I could see the gears in her head spinning as she tried to piece together what had transpired between Kaden and I. All of which scared me at times, because we could go back, back to where things were.

Yet, Kaden and I stubbornly played this game, where we pretended the other didn't exist, pretended to hate each other if our evenings were any indication. Because some parts of Kaden and I have shifted and I found it becoming harder and harder to hate the dark haired boy.

How do you hate someone, who lets you talk about your shitty ex? Someone who calls you in the middle of the night when there's thunder? Someone who's seen you in your far less glamorous moments.

I needed to find a book on how to hate someone who hates you but his actions seemed to beg to differ.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

82.6K 3K 26
"Ashton, I know I'm not the usual type of pretty cheerleader you usually hang out with. I'm not sexy, I'm not attractive, and I'm absolutely no fun...
85.3K 1.9K 28
Kylie Jacobs is the head cheerleader at her high school, Ridgewood High. She is popular and is considered the hottest girl in school. Except, she isn...
330K 8.9K 38
He smirks ][ I smile He drinks beer][ I drink water He fights][ I shop He parties][ I read He doesn't love][ I don't love What will happen...
5M 192K 43
Arielle Tesfaye's senior year immediately turns upside down the second she finds out about her switch to another swim team. Although the problem with...