|16| New

4K words, c'mon that deserves a vote doesn't it? Please please please vote and comment!  As most of you are aware, I've entered this story in the Watty's and I'll really need your help to stand a chance of winning!

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

  "Number one, cash is king... number two, communicate... number three, buy or bury the competition." 
Jack Welch

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IT'S NORMAL TO be afraid of change. I was afraid when my father left to work overseas. I was afraid when Allison left school. I was afraid that Kaden and I weren't going to be a quick fuck. That there was going to be more complications to it. 

But nothing could have prepared me to have seen what I saw in his eyes. It was enough for me to wonder what was I thinking about accepting Tassia's bet. I didn't expect this to come with it. In that brief moment when Kaden finished playing High Hopes, I'd been able to imagine us growing up together, me being there for him when his father died, helping him cope, joking, laughing with him. Kaden and I. Myself and Kaden.

I could see it.

I was very sure he could have to. Both of us could have been wondering, what if we had never fought and lost each other. What if things had happened differently. It hurt to want it. 

But things hadn't happened differently, Kaden was a ever calculative person, who lacked sincerity 99% of the time, the only 1% was when he was playing the drums. But when he did, God, I missed seeing him so unguarded, so uncalculated.

People never understood why I hated him. But they never knew the Kaden I did, they know the one who planned and has imagined the situation dozens of times before so he knew, almost instinctively, what to say and do that would leave you thinking about the charming brown haired boy. 

It wasn't the same as being sincere and charming, it was more colder, far less honest and honesty meant a lot to me. I left quickly after, I needed time away from him. As I all but ran to the door, Kaden's mum stopped me, "Hey, Amber, would you like to stay for dinner?"

I thought about all the dinners we've shared, with silence fraught with tension and sarcastic comments. Today, temptation surged through me to stay but I was in to deep, I could still hear him play so beautifully to Kodaline, and the wounds were so fresh for both of us. "Thank you so much-"

"You should join us for dinner," A distinctively male voice interrupted. I looked up to see Kaden halfway down the stairs, still shirtless with sweat running down his body. His mother turned to glance at him before turning to me, with an expectant smile on her face.

I was still going to have dinner with them next week when my father came home, but looking at Kaden's mum and recalling our brief moment I found it hard to turn down the offer. I smiled at them, "That'll be great."

Kaden's mum smiled, clasping her hands heading to the kitchen. I was going to follow her when Kaden said, "Hey, do you want to go back to my room? I could teach you something on the drums?"

A genuine grin crept up my features and I nodded, following the shirtless boy back to his room. True to his word, Kaden taught me a basic beat, and I was practising while Kaden meddled on his phone. Practising the beat Kaden taught me took up most of my time and focus. It wasn't easy, despite how easy Kaden made it seem. 

"Relax your fingers, princess."

I glanced up to look at him, who had returned back to his phone. "Who're you messaging now?"