Only We Know

By WriteDreamInspire91

"I can tell you right now I'm not going," Lauryn rolled her eyes monotonously... Lauryn Trevors is being ship... More

Only We Know
Chapter One - Autumn Daze
Chapter Two - Our New (Dirty) Family
Chapter Four - Could've Had Everything
Chapter Five - Failed Friendship
Chapter Six - What Took You So Long
Chapter Seven - Loving You

Chapter Three - You're Never Going to Win

275 8 3
By WriteDreamInspire91

Chapter three everyone! Let me remind you again that this is unedited so please keep that in mind when commenting! I hope y'all like it and enjoy. Again, please don't comment saying for me to read your story. I really don't have time, when I do then I'll try but I can click on your user... THANKS! 

Jonah walked up past the main barn. It wasn’t daunting to Jonah, he quite liked being inside of its solid, wooden walls. He didn’t think of himself as vulnerable while being protected by it.

Though old, the barn’s charming, outward appearance was simple; beauty wasn’t important, or so it seemed. All of the secrets were on the inside and Jonah hoped it would stay that way.

He didn’t like when things were told out of spite, or vengeance against another. As dear, wise Pops always said to him, “What happens in my barn stays in my barn.” Jonah laughed to himself.

Pops wasn’t one to easily anger at things, but he did honor everyone’s right to secrecy and having minds of our own. Jonah especially liked when Pops asked him how his day was coming along, even is Pops’ wasn’t going accordingly.

Jonah was quite grateful for this; his past didn't correspond with what he'd wished happened and much that Jonah wanted to stay in that barn, needed to for the sake of others. He wondered if Pop's knew about those times, but then again, if Jonah asked him and Pop's truly didn't; where would he be then?

The bright paint was wearing off and a piece of bark which previously served as a swing was broken. One of Bret’s jobs was to paint it again for old Pops. The novelty of this didn’t surprise Jonah at all.

                “Of course he hasn’t done it yet,” Jonah muffled his words murderously under hot breathing. “Why would he when all of his time is spent on flirting?” The sarcasm wasn’t hidden from his tone. Jonah cursed profoundly, though barely above a whisper.

                “Hasn’t done what Jonah?” The tone was unmistakably prying. Jonah rolled his eyes so much they plausibly would have stuck like that if he’d continued any longer.

                “Absolutely nothing Zach,” Jonah gave in. “Why are you so annoying all the time?” Jonah despised Zachary, that boy shocked any decent man’s core. Jonah thought of him as deceitful and rude, but he was Jonah's best friend ever since they could remember. All in all, he wasn't going to let Zach make the same mistakes again; sometimes Jonah felt like he was a little harsh on Zach and suddenly grew a guilty pit in his stomach, but then other times it was as if they could've been brothers. 

                Zach scoffed and said, “You’re just jealous because I’ve got favor in Pops’ mind and y’all younglings here doesn’t. Experience is key in everything little Jonah, you just remember that while you’re picking daisies.” Zach chuckled slyly. Jonah rolled his eyes again. Jonah dully spoke, retorting proudly.

                “Well, at least I can keep a secret.” Jonah glared at him with an urge to murder. Zach froze.

                “Pops told you not to say nothing about… you know.” He stopped short. Jonah wondered why Zach was being so timorous about the subject. Jonah knew that what had ensued to them wasn’t good, but neither could ignore the inevitable.

                “I know that you aren’t going to let this go and what else are we supposed to do Zachary?” Jonah paused, deep in thought about which way to communicate this. “Everything that happened, it doesn’t affect us now. Bret is happily moving on and so should you.”

                “You don’t understand Jonah, that accident, everything that happened; I can’t let it go any longer.” Zach confessed. Jonah looked at his boots. He felt horrible for Zach, but at the same time, Jonah was torn between telling him to forget about it and move on or saying that it would all blow over in good time. Either one didn’t seem like a possible option to Jonah.

                “Zach, man, c’mon and listen to everyone. You have to let it go, you need to for the sake of everybody.” Jonah sighed. “Believe me, it wasn’t easy, heck, it still isn’t easy to ignore the feelings of regret and faults against people for the accident; but what’s done is done Zach.” Zach stared at him, probably in denial, Jonah observed.

Jonah watched Zach carefully until it seemed as if he came to an agreement with himself.

“All you can do is try Jonah, but I’ll do my best to not talk ‘bout this again.” Jonah nodded, he was joyous for his friend. Finally, after these many months which had left reminders of things yet to come, things only an horrid accident would bring, Jonah would at last be able to compose himself and evoke that winter didn’t last forever.

Only the howling wind was audible during their talking session. The breezes carried autumn leaves abroad and covered the ground with warm colors. It was beautiful, a condolence and prompt that the season would soon change to winter and bitter snow would then shield the earth.  

To Jonah, winter was cold and harsh; reminding him only of what had occurred before autumn, what he would retain always.

A mere “thank you” was Jonah’s response to Zach. He was utterly proud of him for keeping his word of courage. Jonah was sure that Zach would indeed follow his promises and ignore that sudden painful feeling when reminiscing about the accident.

“I reckon Pops is looking for you Zach, like you said, he favors you most.” Jonah smirked at him playfully.

“Yeah, yeah,” Zach said, smiling. Zach started to walk away and Jonah again watched him carefully. Before going out of sight, Zach yelled back, “thanks Jonah,” which was all Jonah needed to hear.

Jonah finally felt compulsory, like someone actually depended on him for once. Jonah liked this feeling the most, one he’d only had before befalling part of the accident last winter.

Jonah’s mentality didn’t exactly go with what he’d wished, but it was a bitter-sweet warmness inside of him that counted. Jonah smiled to himself soundlessly. He took deep breaths of mountain air and turned completely around, looking out into the open fields.

Grass slowly moved back and forth with the wind, capturing Jonah’s entire attention. A little figure was spotted near the large oak tree.

Jonah was quite fond of the tree. He loved going up to the tip and searching the land for intruders. It was a game to play which made passing the time easy as a child. He smiled again. All the times Bret, Zach, and he had adventures up there.

They’d all claimed to one day become cowboys that rode their trusty stallions through acres of ranchland, never looking back once.

Part of the dream came true for Jonah, even if he didn’t fully own the ranch. Jonah, every day, longed for when he would own a ranch and serve as an eminent cowboy for years, like Pops. Pops had made a living off of ten acres, a few stallions and mares, hard workers, and most importantly-a heart for everyone who stepped foot on his land.

"Now he has everything a man could want from the world," Jonah secretly hoped distinctly. 

Now, Pops’ dream was complete and Jonah would take his place eventually. Though no one would ever replace Pops, it felt nice to be needed like Zach needed him. Pops, Jonah thought.

He said aloud, “what would we do without you?”

“What would you do without whom, Jonah?” Jonah cringed at the curiosity in her voice, Lauryn’s voice.

“Nobody Lauryn,” Jonah’s retort was sharp and quick. He could bear thinking of it any more. Jonah knew exactly what he would do, not tell Lauryn anything more to get himself in trouble. He was obliged to keep the secret, not even Pops’ striking granddaughter would change his conviction.  “Absolutely nothing Lynn,”

Jonah figured Lauryn would anger at him for calling her Lynn, so he did this purposely. Ultimately, she would leave in a huff and again return to shout at him.

Jonah saw Lauryn’s ears turn pink, her face maddening by the second. You’re too predictable, Jonah remarked in his head. Evasively, Jonah grinned and said nothing.

“I told you not to call me that Jonah, ugh, why must you be such a pain in the-” Lauryn seethed when Jonah cut her sentence short, still grinning stupidly.

“Lynn, Lynn, Lynn, Lynn,” He repeated obviously too many times for Lauryn’s liking. “You know you like it Lauryn.” Jonah laughed at Lauryn’s beet-red facial expression. Ok, so you don’t like it Lauryn, Jonah thought.

Lauryn huffed off, leaving Jonah in a storm. Jonah was sure of one thing while he watched her abscond; no matter how long Lauryn stayed with Pops, no matter how many times Jonah opened up to her-they would always lose, which is precisely what Lauryn wanted. 

"Pops," Jonah's throat felt thick and battered. He couldn't help talking to himself; it wasn't as if he could say anything to someone else. “You got what you wanted Lynn,” Jonah whispered, his words trailing into the autumn oxygen to part with eternally.

Sooo, that's chapter three everyone! Hope you enjoyed, it took me a while longer than the previous two but my schedule is crazy!! What did y'all think of the secrets? Jonah's accident, Lauryn's strange nickname issue? I'd love to know what you think... 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.6K 734 26
Jonathan King is just finishing up a three year sentence for distribution; during his incarceration he finally started to get to know his father who...
11.3K 215 42
After Alex loses her dad, she moves from LA to Kentucky with her mom and twin brothers. There she meets this cowboy like boy, who is clear on being j...
15.6K 1K 38
All Ryder's life, he loved two girls with all his heart, mind, and soul. He cared about them so much that he would give the shirt off his back, if th...
370 96 23
When Chad's horse Lucy is injured during a competition, Chad is willing to do anything to save her. Fortunately the ranch owner Ray agrees to help hi...