The Dragon Bond: Heirs of Lyra

By wilsonsoftball

Now that King Alan and Queen Ariana's three children are all grown up, it's time for them to make their own a... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Part 2:
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Part 3
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 103
Chapter 102
Chapter 101
Chapter 104
Chapter 105

Chapter 8

1.8K 174 14
By wilsonsoftball

The next morning, Henry's father stopped him as he was about to head down to the training grounds.

"Have you spoken with Princess Karolina yet?" King Alan asked.

"Not since yesterday," the prince admitted, shrugging his shoulders.

The king looked at his son. "Don't you think you should spend the day with her? Show her around the castle? Make her feel comfortable here, give her some company?"

Henry internally sighed. He had thought his job was done yesterday, he hadn't thought he would have to continue to entertain the princess. After all, her parents were still here, couldn't they spend time with her until their departure?

"Is she even up yet?" Henry could not hide the annoyance from his tone. He would much rather be training right now with Miles and working on his skills.

"Henry, the entire kingdom is always awake before you, of course she's up."

His father was always berating Henry for his inability to wake up earlier than noon. Regardless, Henry could never force himself to wake any sooner than he normally did. He enjoyed his sleep. His excuse was the vast amount of abuse his body took every day in training and exercising. He deserved to sleep in. 

"She's down stairs eating breakfast. She woke up shortly before you. Looks like you two have something in common," his father mused.

Henry rolled his eyes and hurried downstairs to find Princess Karolina. She was eating as his father had said she would be. Henry caught her at a humorous time, with a pastry shoved in her mouth.

She blushed and quickly swallowed the sweet, then wiped any crumbs from her mouth with a napkin. Her translator was by her side as always, making Henry feel both comforted and annoyed. He liked that there was someone else to ease any tension but yet he would also appreciate some alone time with the princess.

"Did you have any plans for today?" Henry asked, turning on his usual charm as he spoke. Though he was annoyed that he would not get to train today, his mood was instantly brightened once he caught sight of his beautiful bride to be.

"The princess has no plans for the day other than tonight when she must bid King Lemoine and Queen Rachel ado. They are retuning to Copia tonight after dinner."

"Well until then," Henry started, "why don't I give you the grande tour?"

Princess Karolina was more than eager to accept his offer. She left the remnants of her food and followed Prince Henry.

Henry first showed the Princess the kitchen, since it was closest. Sirey was working hard as always, preparing lunch already. When the young apprentice-chef caught sight of Henry, she groaned. Though the girl could not deny the prince's obvious attractiveness, she knew him too well to be swooned. He was far too much of a jerk to be attractive in the eyes of Sirey.

"I would appreciate it if you would kindly leave my workplace," Sirey said haughtily. "Me and the rest of the staff have a lot of work to do and you and your entourage are very much in the way."

Henry rolled his eyes. It seemed as though Sirey was always yelling at him for something. But he knew it was because she had a thing for Ralf. Why, he would never understand.

"I'm just showing Princess Karolina around. Besides," he added. "Last time I checked, this way my castle."

Sirey stopped her stirring and shot a glare at Henry. "Actually this is King Alan's castle."

Henry, not in the mood to argue with her, quickly showed Princess Karolina out of the kitchen and towards the library.

"I never come in here much myself," the prince admitted. "I'm more of a man of action than a man of words. I find the sword far more superior than any pen could ever be."

"Princess Karolina quite agrees with you," the translator said. "She hates her history lessons."

With an obvious disinterest of the library shown from both Henry and Princess Karolina, the young prince decided to show his fiancé something he knew she would enjoy.

After a short walk to the far left wing of the castle, Henry approached the heavily guarded double doors at the end of the hallway. With a nod from Henry, the guards stepped aside and opened the doors.

Princess Karolina's eyes lit up the moment she stepped in the room. All of the kingdom's Crown Jewels were displayed on shelves throughout the entire space.

Henry took the time to point out each crown and describe the ruler who had once worn it. He also explained how the different necklaces and other pieces of jewelry were obtained and how the styles had developed over the years. Though Henry did not enjoy history, he did enjoy money and riches, and so he found the topic of the Crown Jewels to be particularly interesting.

They spent a while in the room examining the fine pieces of jewelry before finally moving on to other parts of the castle. Henry showed her as much as he could, trying hard to keep his tour lengthy so as to waste the day away. He knew that once the tour was over he would be expected to continue to entertain her.

After finishing through the main level and the second and third levels, Henry showed her up the winding staircase that lead to the fourth level and towers. Those two levels were important for the safety and protection of the castle.

Henry explained to the princess the different defenses the castle provided on its towers. He demonstrated the positioning Lyran archers would take from the rooftop in the unlikely event of an attack.

Once the prince ceased to continue any further about the different techniques of the castle's defenses, the princess allowed herself to enjoy the moment of silence.

Henry shifted on his feet, feeling the weight of the now silent air. He needed something to show her, something to talk to her about.

"Did you notice the view?" He asked.

After a moment the princess shook her head. Henry took hold of her hand, taking note of how smooth her skin was against his, and led her up to the highest point.

She resisted once they reached the top and Henry noticed the look of worry in her eyes. She said something quickly to her translator.

While Henry waited to hear what she had said, he looked down at the view. It looked like the entire kingdom stretched out before him and for a moment Henry envied his brother. What magnificent views Ralf must see from his dragon's back. Secretly Henry had always wanted to know what it would be like to sit on top of a dragon and soar through the clouds, but he was much too proud to ask a favor of his younger and crippled brother. He didn't want to look weak.

"Princess Karolina is uneasy with the height, Sir. She wishes to return to lower ground."

Slight disappointment filled Henry's gut at her words. Princess Karolina didn't even get a chance to appreciate the view. What was she afraid of? There was no risk of falling, not unless she jumped over the walls that encompassed the area.

Reluctantly, Henry nodded and led the two girls back down to the fourth level.

"I suppose it's time to get ready for dinner now," Henry commented, eager to get some time to himself. He felt strange from not having any time to train with Miles. The day had been incredibly long and boring for him.

Once the young prince of Lyra and the princess of Copia said their goodbyes, Henry walked to his room and closed the doors behind him.

He walked over to his bed, yanked his boots off, and then fell back onto his mattress. He sighed and wondered how in the world he was supposed to entertain the princess tomorrow.

When the next morning came too quickly, Henry found himself at a loss for ideas. The beautiful princess was staring at him, adding to the pressure. Instead of thinking hard about what to do, he found himself getting caught up in her beauty. He wanted to please her, to impress her. But he had things to do, an army to train. He couldn't be idle any longer.

Her parents, the King Lemoine and Queen Rachel had left late last night after dinner. Henry could tell Princess Karolina already missed her parents, which was why he wanted to think of something to take her mind off of their absence. 

Then, the perfect idea popped into his head and his face lit up. "Princess Karolina," he started.

For once, the princess answered on her own. Though she spoke only a single, simple word, the accent was still thick on her tongue. "Yes?"

"How would you like to see a dragon?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 163 30
CAN BE READ AS A STANDALONE ● the prequel to Flames of Ember ● The land of Elysia has been ruled by its true rulers for centuries -- by the Elysians...
279 11 13
After seeing her brother meet his destiny, the young princess of Aeronia is set to find her own. When he finally returns, everything seems to be oka...
115 0 9
Princess Rowena has spent her entire life forging her own path. The last thing she wants to do is be forced into a loveless marriage for the sake of...
292K 16.6K 29
Set during the medieval times, dragons have become a rare sight. When the king's dragon lays an egg, King Nicholas orders the capture of its bond mat...