The Werewolf Genre Polls

By WerewolfLibrary

Do you want to write a werewolf story but have absolutely no idea where to begin? Do you wish to know what re... More

Information
Werewolf Stories Readers on Wattpad Likes
ROGUES: Are they being treated fairly?
ALPHAS: Are they overdone? Why so popular?
THE WOLF INSIDE: What's happening?
BETAS AND MALE POSSESSIVENESS

LUNAS: The Term, Their Role and Pack Structure

18.3K 82 68
By WerewolfLibrary

Hello everyone, Morterra (Lia) is here again to post the next topic for the Werewolf Genre Polls. This time the discussion will be ALPHA FEMALES and more specifically the term ‘LUNA.’ We all know that on wattpad, Lunas are mates of the Alpha. But is that the accurate term? Who give such title to the ‘ALPHA FEMALE? What are their [Alpha Females] roles in nature? Are they accurately portrayed on wattpad? This discussion will also include vital information about wolf pack structure.

The Werewolf Library will like to give SPECIAL THANKS TO THESE MARVELOUS INDIVIDUALS: @DouglasAllanSteel and @MrsGboys4ever . THIS CHAPTER IS DEDICATED TO THEM!

The library will also like to thank these amazing people for their participation:

@Arch_AlphaSirius ,  @shadowcrossing and @splashmonster

__________

Disclaimer: This discussion is not to discredit any stories involving Luna, Alpha Female and Pack Structure and Life. This is merely to provide vital and important information to the werewolf community on wattpad.

****

ALPHA FEMALE AND LUNA

ONE:

I have never heard the term "Luna" used outside of Wattpad to portray any ranking within a wolf Hierarchy. However it seems that most people use it as a title for a Female Alpha – that would be the Female leader of the Pack.

This is where things get tricky between wolves and werewolves, within a Wolf pack the "Luna" or Matriarch to give its more recognized title actually holds more power than any other wolf in the Pack. She is the only female allowed to breed (since wolf packs are usually family groups that also make her the mother, so there is natural progression from mother to daughter; however in captivity it is more complicated). This means that she will pick the Male who is genetically the best for the survival of her pack to be her "mate".

Her main job is to look out for the pack, the packs survival is her greatest interest, and her Chosen Alpha will assist her in doing this. But they will not get involved in internal affairs that the Matriarch will leave to the Beta to deal with.

Wattpad werewolves on the other hand, the "Luna" is still the female Alpha, but her role is much simpler, she is the Female leader of the pack, and the Alpha's chosen mate (The more Human side of the werewolf showing through I assume). But since werewolf packs work using a mix of both Wolf and Human social dynamics her tasks are more comparable to that of a Queen or Empress, she rules the roost alongside the Alpha.

These are of course my understandings, the Wolf version is the one I understand better, with the Wattpad one being more obscure to me sorry if I get some details wrong.

ALPHA, PACK STRUCTURE, ALPHA FEMALE, LUNA, BETA…

TWO:

I actually researched this quite a bit I agree with what [was] said above. Essentially they are the Alpha Female, however they are known as Lunas not just in the wattpad community. For example I found a famous comic book writer who has a series about the Luna, who he calls The Alpha Female. It is also a name given by researchers of wolf behavior to the Alpha Female of a certain pack they researched, so from there it may have grown as well.

Though in real wolf packs the Alpha female is the only one aloud to breed, it is actually the Alpha couple, though sometimes the Beta as well. It just depends on the dominance of the Alpha couple.

Here is some information from actual websites like Discovery.com and other wolf pack research groups.

Alpha Male: The alpha male is the boss. He eats first, has his pick of mates, and leads the pack during hunts and when dealing with threats to survival. An alpha male typically will select a mate from within the pack to whom he remains paired, although he may elect to separate from his mate and mate with a different female. The alpha male rarely has cause for aggression or violence toward subordinate wolves, instead asserting his dominance through a series of ritualized gestures, such as the alpha roll, scruff shaking and staring. When challenged for top position by a young pretender, the alpha male either will concede immediately or fight to retain his position, depending on his age and health. When the alpha male dies or is driven from the pack, the next most dominant male assumes his position.

Alpha Female: The alpha female may not be the most dominant female in the pack to begin with. Her seniority is achieved through her association with the alpha male. If the alpha male and the most dominant female are related closely, the alpha male typically bypasses her and selects a mate from lower in the pack. This mate then becomes part of the alpha pair and is given due deference from the rest of the pack.

Beta Wolves: Some packs, particularly large ones, have a “second-in-command” that is from outside of the alpha pair. This role typically is assumed by a male, but it also can be a female wolf. In smaller packs, there is no distinct beta, just the alpha pair, their subordinates who establish seniority among themselves, and the runt.

The pack is led by the alpha male and/or female. The term "alpha" was coined in 1974 by Rudolph Schenkel, a Swiss animal behaviorist. Control of the males is generally the duty of the male alpha, and the females by the alpha female, although either leader may dominate the subordinates of either gender. Alpha Wolves maintain their rank by simple respect; which is granted by their ability to dominate other members of the pack in ritual combat. When one Wolf seeks to dominate another challenge is made and if the challenged Wolf does not submit a fight may result to determine which Wolf is superior. Repeatedly winning these contests results in a reputation within the pack, making the dominating Wolf the pack leader.

The leaders of an established pack retain the right to mate, not through title, but through the ability to keep other Wolves of their gender from copulating with others during the mating season. The alpha male usually accepts the strongest female to mate with; and this tends to be the same bitch year after year unless she is deposed. The alphas are the first Wolves to feed at the site of a pack kill. They generally mate for life. It's neat because it is actually called a mate.

Also packs structures vary around the world. Some are just small packs consisting of parents and kids, while many others are bigger consisting of a variety.

Lunas or Alpha Females should be portrayed as having just as much say as the male Alpha. I find that most stories do show the Luna having some control in the pack and makes them mostly equal with the male Alpha.

Wanted to add the whole Alpha pair only breeding is mostly due to resources and food the Alpha generally hunts down to helps feed the pack. Though in some packs anyone can breed, it all depends again on the dominance of the Alpha pair.

*Note*: Most of the information above came from research on sites such as discover and other sites that have researched pack life and social structure of wolves around the world.

THE TERM [LUNA]

THREE:

I dislike when people say it's the official term [Luna] when it is not. In short, it's just a fictitious term that people (mainly misinformed teenaged girls) use here on wattpad. They believe it's the correct term but if we think about it, you have alpha, beta, and omega which all relate to a numerical order [Greek alphabet]. The [term] Luna is just Spanish for moon and totally disrupts the numerical concept. Thus it really doesn't fit.

FOUR:

 I think Luna's should be taken a lot more seriously than they are. There Alpha mates seem to not want them to really do anything. I understand they are very protective but I think Luna's should contribute more to the pack. In actual wolf packs the Alpha female or Luna is just as much in charge as the Alpha Male but this doesn't really seem to be portrayed in stories on wattpad.

***

IMPORTANT: Parts of this discussion was researched so if you want to use the information, please do your own research to make sure you credit the Authors.

Want to refute or support any point that was made? Have a topic you want us to do for next time poll? LEAVE A COMMENT.

-Peace out: Morterra

Continue Reading