DEATH'S HEART

By ThoughtsOnPaper

Do you really want to see me? Do you want to know how I look? What I am like? Are yo... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Important Announcement as "Death's Heart" is embarking on a new journey
Chapter 4 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 5 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 6 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 7 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 8 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 9 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 10 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 12 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 13 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 14 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 15 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 16 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 17 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 18 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 19 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 20 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 21 (Radish Fiction Version)
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Updated 09 January 2016: PERSONAL MESSAGE & ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
Are You Ready for My Return?
Warn Everyone of My Coming
I Have Arrived
Chapter 20 (Radish Fiction Version)

Chapter 11 (Radish Fiction Version)

920 66 5
By ThoughtsOnPaper

Aimlessly, Asha followed her steps through the crevices between car bumpers and pedestrians until she safely joined the sidewalk crowd. Even in the cruelty of winter, it had never stopped people from celebrating the evening. The strips of cafes, pubs and restaurants were buzzing with activity. Patrons spilled out of their doors, with some waiting for hours to get in. She could feel the bass of the cluttered music vibrating beneath her heels. The lights and sounds were enough to overwhelm the senses. She looked up. The edifice of glass and steel that towered from behind establishments in front of her landmarked the central business district. It was a relief for her to know that she wasn't far from the city. I'm not so lost after all. Being lost was the least of her concern though. She just wanted to find the source of the intoxicating fragrance, and who the hell was breathing in her ear. Or what? The curiosity pumped fear into her bloodstream. The scent and the voice became stronger. A normal person would run away from it, but she continued to search for it like she was destined to do so.

Her pace slowed down as the crowd got thicker ahead of her until she had to stop. "Ummm...excuse me," she requested. No one was moving. She tried to squeeze herself through, but failed to find an opening where she could even put her leg through. "Please, I need to get past." She stretched her neck to find a way to get around.

"Hey there," someone said to her.

She raised her head to the young man who was gleaming at her. Asha squinted her eyes, while her body stiffened defensively. "Yes?"

"Sorry to bother you, but I was wondering if I could invite you for a drink or coffee."

He was polite. Judging by his appearance, he looked like a decent guy–clean shaven, hair nicely groomed and spiked with gel, excellent choice of clothes that consisted of a clean pair of blue denim pants, white and grey striped, collared shirt, a casual suit jacket and finished off with a pair of black leather shoes. She didn't know why, but his request irritated her. "Sorry, but I'm in a rush," she declined.

She was about to walk around him when he sidestepped to block her path. "Sorry to have just come on to you like this. Just that, I saw you and I thought I'd like to get to know you." He extended his had. "I'm–"

"Apology accepted, but I have to go," she cut him off hurriedly, taking a sidestep around him. She attempted to squeeze through the crowd again; no one would budge. What the hell is going on? She noticed a blue and red light hovering shining on the crowd's faces. Only then was she aware of the sirens coming from police cars. The crowd's attention was drawn towards the intersection–the reason behind the jam. She couldn't see past the sea of heads. Frustrated, she decided that if she can't get through the stubborn bodies, she'd go around them. Not wasting anymore time, she lumbered around and stepped onto the road.

There was a man pacing around the centre of the intersection. He was filthy, in distress and obviously under the influence of alcohol. She wasn't surprised if he was on drugs as well. She grimaced as she could already imagine the stench on him. Cautiously, Asha walked around the frontline of the crowd, and stopped midway. The scent that she was following like a hound dog was still pungent. She wanted to move forward but she remained where she was. Her attention remained fixated on this man.

Two police officers got out of the car. Carefully and slowly, they approached him, but still kept their distance. "Mate," one of them began. "What seems to be the problem?"

Kurt glared at him. "Shut the goddamn lights off!" he screamed, his eyes squinting at the glare of lights beaming at him from all directions. He advanced towards the officer as if he was ready to attack him, then stopped. The officer stepped back with a jerk. Pleased with the cops' reaction, Kurt smiled. "Not so tough in your uniforms, ya fucking cunts!"

The other cop raised her hands in front of her. "Just relax," she told him in her trained and calm tone. "No one is going to hurt you. We just want to have a chat." Her hand gestured towards the side, leading his attention towards their vehicle. "Let's just get out of the road and let these motorists pass. Let's have a chat."

Just like that, his face softened. He was ready to surrender. He took a couple of steps forward. "O-Okay..."

"That's right, everything will be fine," the woman in uniform lulled.

After another step, Kurt's expression contorted in anger once again. "Bullshit!" he snapped. " Ya don't want a chat! You're here to take me away."

Another officer got out of another car. He approached him the left side, but also keeping a safe distance. "Come on, mate," he pleaded. "Let's just calm down. Come with us peacefully and let's talk about what's troubling you."

Without warning or provocation, the man charged towards the officer and pushed him to the ground. A united gasp and scream came from the crowd as they witnessed the assault.

"Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Kurt punched him in the rhythm of his words. The other officers ran to their colleague's aid and took the opportunity to grab the man by the coat while he was preoccupied. His legs raked across the rough concrete as he was dragged away, causing his soiled pants to rip. "Let me go!" He thrashed violently, making them lose their grip on him. "Stay away from me!" he screamed as he struggled to get back on his feet.

"Come on, mate! It doesn't have to be like this. You're not thinking clearly. Why don't you come with us peacefully and–"

"No! No! No!" he yelled. "You are not taking me!" He noticed the female officer take a step closer towards him. He pulled out a switchblade from the pocket of his jacket.

She retreated at the threat of the silver knife. "Just relax. No one doesn't need to get hurt." She took a quick glance at her surrounding. An unmarked patrol car has just pulled in and the security from the pubs were controlling the crowd. "What's your name, mate?"

"None of your business, bitch!" he hissed.

"There's no need for that. We're trying to help."

"I–" His face contorted painfully and wailed.

"Are you all right? Are you in pain?"

"She's coming to get me!" he cried.

"Who's coming to get you?"

A sharp chill crawled up his spine. A warning that demanded his silence. "She's h-here!" he whispered. His whole body trembled as he slowly turned around. His knees buckled at the sight of of her alluring face. Her expression was vacant as she stared at him. "I need more time," he pleaded. "Please! I need more time!"

Who's he talking to? Asha wondered while she stood still at the front of the crowd. What a whacko! She followed his line of sight, and gasped. There she was, standing by the traffic lights, watching him. Her long, crimson hair billowed gracefully in the air. Asha looked around her; no one else seemed to notice the girl. It's impossible! If it weren't for her cascading hair, she would have been fully exposed. Am I the only one seeing this? Asha wrapped herself in her arms, keeping herself from quivering. She had never felt this frightened in her life. Was she a ghost? She watched the lady walk slowly towards the man. She was like a predator who was ready to pounce on its prey. Asha's heart thumped even louder. What is she? Who is she? She looked so tender and delicate, but how could she possibly inflict so much fear onto this man? And me?

"Please! I need more time," he sobbed. She was just an arm's reach away from him. He stepped back, keeping the knife in front of him. "Please, I need more time!" She was about to touch him, but she stopped. Has she changed her mind? The thought of a second chance gave him relief. "I'll make it right this time." Her eyes strayed away from him. She wasn't even listening. "You have to give me another–" She rested her soft fingers on his dry, cracked lips, demanding for his silence. His whole body stiffened at the sensation of the sharp iciness of her touch.

Asha found herself face-to-face with this...this...being. Now the cold was more daunting. She rubbed her hands on her bare arms. A cloud of fog escaped her lips as if a mist of her soul was being taken from her. All colour drained from her face. How could one female bring about so much terror? She didn't know who she was, or what she was...Or did she? The scent that she had been searching for penetrated her senses, lining every nerve and vein in her body. The scent! It's coming from her! She saw the lady's pink lips move. She was speaking to her. No sound came out but Asha heard the word loud and clear.

Why?

Why? I repeated silently as I looked upon this girl. So innocent. So weak. I could hear her heartbeat. Loud and strong. Why can she see me? It should not be! No one was meant to see me unless it was time for them to meet me! No one should lay their eyes on Death unless they are due to die! It was forbidden, even for those who were holy, blessed, or have fallen from grace.

I whispered in the air, "Who are you?" Her whole body shook like a leaf in autumn. I channeled my mind into her thoughts. Confusion and fear–nothing new...But, there was a familiarity hidden deep within her subconsciousness that startled me. I had existed for as long as life's eternity and I have been a witness to everything. Nothing should ever surprise me. I felt her gasp as she realised our connection. My eyes narrowed as I stared at her disdainfully. I refused to acknowledge that there was a link between us–a link that was beyond the day I took her parents.

Anger stirred violently within me as I lost my chain of consciousness. All my attention was drawn by this human girl. Because of this girl, no one will be weeping over a loss. An extension for time was promising. Pain and suffering needed more tolerance. No one will die tonight!

I detached myself from Kurt. I promised to return for him another day. I stepped closer to this human. Without a blink, in spite of her fear, she met my gaze. I could feel the warmth of her breath. I could hear the rush of blood through her veins. Her heartbeat. Her heartbeat–I could almost touch it. I stood before her, our eyes leveled to each other. Again, that memory that dared to disturb me from earlier came knocking at the back of my head.

"Do you even know the value of what you're taking?"

I reached out to touch her pale cheeks, hoping that the feel of her skin would connect me to answers that I lacked patience to search for. The moment my finger tips touched the coldness of her velvety complexion, a memory as deep-seethed as ten lifetimes freed itself. I stepped away from her and she from me.

A sudden blur whipped across my vision. My last memory of that evening was a pair of strong hands, covered in filth and grime, pulling her away from the crowd...Pulling her away from me. I saw the world spin in a concoction of light and rough concrete. Or was it her vision that I was seeing? Red trickled in front of me. I thought I was going to implode. I stepped back, trying to regain my bearing. I saw her on the ground, blood streaming down her face. The same blood that had left stains across the hood of a grey car. She was still conscious, but I knew that everything around her was whirling.

Them I heard voices of a young lady and a young man. They were calling her name. What is her name? I heard officers yelling, and threatening to shoot if Kurt refuses to surrender. Kurt. I repeated his name with molten heat under my breath, but a promise for vengeance needed to wait.

Her consciousness was fading. So was my vision. With her dwindling strength, she managed to maintain eye contact with me. Even behind a layer of film, I could see her eyes. It was my turn to tremble. Those eyes! They matched mine.

I remember. This girl...She was challenge accepted from many, many lifetimes ago. It was a challenge forgotten.

Until tonight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

503K 2.2K 11
This book is in the process of being removed from Wattpad. Early chapters have been unpublished, so if you start reading now, you will be very confus...