Toys of a Dangerous Mind-{Win...

By chatt3rb0x

"You will never escape, Danielle. Never." The world is tainted. The world is shadowed. The world is cursed. ... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28

Chapter 19

6K 50 13
By chatt3rb0x

We had slept, Liam, Renae and I, together in Renae's bedroom, none of us wanting to go back and face our empty rooms. We needed eachother. As I woke, the sunlight streaming in through a chink in the curtains alighted on Liam's face, his blonde highlights coming out strongly. He looked so young, and innocent, his worries wiped clean away by the blissful ignorance of sleep. Renae, looked peaceful. her messy, brown hair, falling everywhere, strands of hair cutting through the view of her face.

I realized, that our hands: Liam's, Renae's and mine, were interlocked, our fingers grasped tightly to eachother. Even through sleep, we fought to stay together. My eyes drifting carelessly around, I happened to glance down at my arms. The scars disgusted me, an obvious display of my lack of self-control. What had I been thinking? I hated to think that not so long ago, perhaps days, I had cut myself and relished the pain, thinking I was helping myself get through the emotion running wild in my head. Looking further along, I noticed the R branded forever onto my skin. Such an ugly symbol, conveying an uglier concept. With or without this mark, I knew we were all Raxis's property. He held all the power, which we had once so gullibly gave him. And, with his powers, he created the Games.

The Games! How could I have been so forgetful? The Fourth Stage was on today! And, I had forgotten to tell my friends as well. To help them prepare- to get them into the right mental mode needed to survive this brutal Game. There were only ten of us left now, and a further five would die today. I hoped to God that my friends would be spared. It felt selfish, thinking only of my friends. But, this was my reality. For the three of us to survive, others needed to die. And, there was nothing i could do about it. The only thing I could do to prevent more death past the Fourth Stage, was the escape plan. The escape plan, which came from a story, a made-up story. Doubt, like an experienced soldier, breached the wall inside my mind, the wall which I let no negative emotion pass. What if I was wrong? What if the story was just that, a story with no truth, no facts? I couldn't bear to see the faces of my fellow Competitiors, the one who had made that leap of faith, only to find there was no place for them to land.

And, the damage it would do to me? It would be massive. For, if we couldn't escape, if there was no escape, then only one of us would survive. Even if I survived, I would have to go on without my best friend and my boyfriend. Without the two people who would understand what I was going through and why. If I couldn't have them right beside me, and if I survived, then truthfully, I don't know if I would have the strength to endure the Mercy Game for a second time. For each test, each painful test, that I had to go through, there had always been a strong reason behind it. With the Mercy Game, I was under the belief that Raxis would heal Liam- a belief which was shaken and destroyed. With the reliving of my memories, I had Liam back at this point, and when I finished, I knew I would see him again. All these relentless, brutal Games? I don't know, but I might have given up by now, if it wasn't for the fact that I couldn't do that to Liam and Renae, and I needed to get those five Competitiors, whoever they will be, out of here. I held the directions, I was the one who had started this. And, I had to be the one to end this.

Another worry tugged at my mind- Zalia's dagger. I would need to return it to her, but the only way to achieve that goal, was for Raxis to lead the way. But, there was no reason for me to return, no acceptable excuse for me to go back. Raxis would see right through me and through some means, retrieve the dagger, and punish me. And I would have broken my promise to Zalia, the one who had brought me back Liam. If I could not fulfil our deal, I knew I would regret it. I felt that with this dagger, Zalia would somehow, escape, back to Heaven where she truly belonged. Without it, she would remain in that dank room, the floor streaked with her blood, and be tortured day after day, by Raxis, and eternal life of pain. She would long for death, long for her family. But she would never be granted with her wish, never be rescued. I remembered the torture I had endured, the never-ending pain, the fire that seared through me.....I struggled to even comprehend what she was going through.

All these worries battled in my mind, another after another. I decided to write down the directions needed for the maze, they were vague and hazy, but the best thing I could do. I was thinking all these things- writing down the directions, when the paper sliced my finger. Damn it, I thought, as a few beads of blood appeared. I hate papercuts. It was then that Liam sighed, sighed deeply, and breathed heavily. A golden mist seemed to come out of his mouth towards my finger, enveloping it. I watched in amazement, having absolutely no idea what was happening. As the golden mist scattered, my finger, I saw, had healed. There was no scar there, not even the blood which had been there just a few seconds ago. Glancing across to Liam, he smiled in his sleep. Did Liam really just heal me? It would actually make sense- Liam had been brought back to life by Zalia, and powers weren't supposed to be out of the norm. Well, it wasn't really normal, at all. Then a brainwave struck- now I had an excuse to go see Zalia! I could say I needed to see her, to ask about Liam's possible developing powers!

I felt the urgent need to get out and about, before Renae and Liam awoke. Today was the day to return Zalia's dagger- I couldn't put her through even more pain, and I wanted to do it before her faith in me was lost. Also, I actually did want to know about powers that Liam may posess. So, I dressed myself quietly,-hiding the dagger in my jacket, stepping delicately over Renae and Liam, tiptoing to the door and closing it quietly behind me. I had included the directions in my jeans, as I did not want them getting lost in my room- that was the last thing I needed.

Turning around, I let out a shriek as I faced a man, his face lingering closely to mine. He rolled his eyes at the noise, and simply held out a message for me, and as soon as I had enclosed my fingers around it, he marched back down the corridor, without a single word. Well, he was chatty.

Opening the crisp, perfect white square, Ryan's spiked, italic writing met my eye.

Meet me at my room at seven. I have a surprise for you.

I shivered at the thought of the "surprise". I had been hoping for a peaceful night, one, perhaps, with Liam and Renae by my side. But, it was not to be. Sighing, I walked softly to the breakfast area. It was deserted, the chairs all tucked in, the tables, empty, without their usual plates, forks, cups, bowls- everything. Each table was meticulously wiped down, the floor mopped to an inch of its life. The kitchen cooks were chatting, their eyes flicking questioningly to me every now and then. They were probably wondering why I was up at- I looked up at the large clock dominating the back wall- 6:30 in the morning. Walking up to the group of cooks, I asked,

"Could I please have breakfast now?" They hesitated, unsure on how to proceed as my request was breach of procedure. Normally, everyone came down at the strict time- seven. One of them shrugged and served up a bowl of what I presumed was Cornflakes. To me, it looked like orange mush drowned by milk. Tasty. I made a quick meal out of it, I had things to do, people to see. Did Zalia count as people? Maybe not.

After my breakfast, I handed the bowl back to the kitchen staff, and travelled determinedly to Raxis's quarter. Fear beat in my heart, as I drew closer and closer to Raxis's domain. I always hated going near him. He made me feel scared, and made all my sadness, anger and all the other negative emotions come out full-force, which made it even harder to rein in.

And, all too soon, I was standing in front of Raxis's door, not wanting to go in at all. If the dagger was found before I could return it to Zalia...And even if I did return it, Raxis would....do something incredibly bad to me! Like torture. Grow up, I told myself fiercely. Taking a deep breath and mustering all my courage- I opened the door.

Raxis was sitting calmly in the armchair, staring into space. I entered, my footsteps muffled slightly by the carpet, but still sounding uncomfortably loud- penetrating the silence of the room. He turned, and smiled, a thin, spidery smile, beckoning for me to sit down. Ignoring his hand, I stood and quickly said before I lost my courage-

"I need to see Zalia again. I wanted to ask about Liam, having powers and all, and what he would have because he looks like he might have some but I'm not sure and well....yeah."

I drifted off, realizing I was blabbing a lot. I was obviously not going to be an actress. Raxis nodded his head, and replied, saying,

"As you wish." He seemed complying, getting up immediately, and walking to the door. I followed behind, confused and surprised. There were no questions, no rebuffs? It was like....he knew I was going to ask. But, he couldn't, could he? No, I was just being stupid. I mean it was a perfectly, natural request and all.

I zoned out as we travelled to Zalia, wondering about Liam's powers and Raxis's sudden acqueisous nature. I also tried to hide the slight bulge in my jacket, attempting to inconspicously drape my arm in the spot. It didn't work. I nearly had a heart attack as Raxis looked over, eyebrows raised at my curious arm position. Thankfully, we were there- and I lose no time in going inside. I made sure I didn't step in any puddles of angel blood, and walked straight to Zalia. I stopped, sickened and horrified by what I saw. Zalia had been tortured even more severly in my absence.

Her arm lay at a impossible angle- Raxis must have used some sort of demonic magic to stop her healing herself. Covering her leg was a series of gashes and cuts- a pool of silver blood lying beside her. At my entrance, she turned her head slightly. Her eyes were clouded in pain, but as she me, they lightened instantly.

Do you have it? Zalia spoke to my mind. Do you have my dagger?

Yes, it is in my jacket. But, how will I give it to you without Raxis noticing?

Wait one moment. I will provide a distraction.

Almost five seconds later, an alarm rang shrilly. Raxis lazily got to his feet and left, to find the cause of the alarm, no doubt. I ran forward, and gave the dagger to Zalia. The dagger glowed as soon as it made contact with Zalia's hand, and brightened to an impossible level. I averted my eyes from the white light, and as it dimmed down, glanced back again. She was drawing a strange shape on the floor with the knife, the tip digging easily into it.

A forgotten thought tugged at my mind. Liam!

"What will happen to Liam? I think he's getting powers of some sort," I quickly blurted out.

She looked up, her serious look abandoned for a moment.

"He will receive healing powers and will be able to re-call spirits of the dead, but, only to talk, perhaps to deliver final messages." As she finished talking, she looked expectantly at the shape. Soon, a brilliant, white light burst from me surrounding Zalia. As the light forced me to look away, once more, I waited until the light receded. When I looked back, Zalia had gone. She had found her escape.

***************

When Raxis returned, I felt apprehensive, and dread washed through me at the sight of him. What would he do to me? But, there was nothing. Only a raised eyebrow at Zalia's disappearance and a smirk. The only words he spoke to me were:

"Ready to go back?"

I nodded slowly, was this a trick- part of his mind games? But it seemed not. He led me down to my room, where Renae and Liam were there, waiting for me to tell them the mystery of my early rising. I swiftly told them of what had transpired and also Liam's powers. As I told him, his expression changed to confused and unsure.

"I'm getting powers? Angelic powers?"

I also reluctantly told both, about my impending visit to Ryan and the Fourth Stage which was due today. At the first subject, Liam's face darkened considerably and I knew he was restraining himself from begging me to stay with him. Renae just looked sad at the prospect of Ryan and I. At the second subject, both were thunderstruck, mouths gaping open and open fear creeping quietly onto their faces.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the Fourth Stage earlier, but with what happened to Jeremy-" I stopped myself when I reached Jeremy's name, Liam having instantly turning away and hastily wiping his eyes.

"It's okay," Renae assured me, laying a comforting hand on my shoulder. A knock sounded at the door, interrupting our discussion. Walking over, I opened the door, revealing the same dead-panned man from earlier this morning. A knot of dread shifted in my stomach- why was he here?

"My master wishes you to come earlier due to the Fourth Stage of the Games, having been moved to today," the servant announced in a bored tone. I froze at his words. It was too soon, too early, I hadn't prepared myself. Recovering my composure, I replied,

"Tell your master I will be down directly. Due to the change of time, I must prepare myself." The servant nodded, turned on his heel and walked away. I closed the door slowly, and breathed in to calm myself. And, out. God, why now? Why now? Why did Ryan always have to have things his way? I had no idea where my surge of anger was coming from, but it overcame me- my hatred for Ryan becoming stronger. Screw him, I thought, glancing over to the pile of dresses, that I wore for my visits to Ryan. I wasn't going to prepare for him.

"I've got to go," I breathed, looking at Renae and Liam. Renae nodded and Liam hugged me. I smelt his comforting "Liam" scent and wished I could stay in his arms forever. Too soon, I withdrew out of his embrace, and turned away. As I opened the door, I glanced back one more time taking strength from my Renae and Liam.

"Bye," I whispered softly, as I looked away. Time to go to Ryan.

****************

Ryan had prepared an early meal for us, glasses of champagne sitting on the table. Maybe I should tell him I was underage, I thought, distracted. I turned eighteen next year.

Ryan was dressed in a tuxedo, and it looked as if it exactly fitted him. He glanced disparagingly at my jacket and jeans, turning up his nose at my casual attire. Whatever. He could live with it.

I sat down, and Ryan took my jacket, trying to act like the gentlemen he wasn't He hung it on a clothes hook, and sat down facing me, his chair scraping harshly against the floor.

"You look beautiful, Danielle," he complimented me. I politely smiled at him.

"You are too kind, Ryan," I thanked him, keeping up the fake smile. I just wished I was with Liam. I sighed slightly and Ryan asked,

"Is something bothering you, babe?" Damn, he had noticed. And babe? I hated that name, I hated all endearments that passed for Ryan's lips to my unwilling ears. Only Liam could do that. Only the one that I loved could call me "darling", "babe" and every other name he termed me. Because Liam meant it.

"Just a bit tired," I lied, smiling apologetically at Ryan. He seemed appeased by my falsehood, and we settled down to lunch. The food was of top quality, or so Ryan boasted. To me, it tasted like cardboard, and for the first time I wished for the mush of food they gave us in the Food Hall- just because I would be near Liam. After a while, Ryan grew restless, and moved towards me. He was drunk- having imbibed probably a bottle of champagne. He kissed me roughly on my neck, leading a trail of kisses up to my lips.

I felt like I was going to cry, like I was going to burst out in tears any moment. But, I couldn't. I could never endanger Ryan's co-operation with the Fifth Stage. He had already switched it, and all that was needed was a few more days, perhaps a week, of me upholding our deal. I had to do this....

I nearly sighed in relief as Ryan stopped, his lips leaving my skin, his eyes attracted to the floor. I stood there, puzzled, as he bent down and seemed to pick something up. My heart froze as I saw he held in his hand a small, seemingly insignificant piece of paper. Except it wasn't so insignificant.

The directions. The freaking directions. Ryan now held them in his hands, his brow furrowed in confusion. How had they got here? How?!

It was in my jacket all this time. I had stowed the directions in my jacket this morning, thinking I would lose them. And Ryan had taken my jacket when I had gotten here, it must have fallen out...

Now all that mattered now was to convince Ryan it was nothing.

"What have you got there, darling?" I asked in a light hearted tone whereas I was practically screaming for control inside my head.

"Do you know what this is?" He said, slowly, shoving the piece of paper in front of my face. The words that I had written seemed to taunt me as they danced up and down inches away.

"Directions, I presume," I shrugged, trying to act nonchalant. "Some sort of planning thing of yours, right?"

And in seconds, Ryan's face was right next to mine, having shoved me to the wall. I gasped in pain as he yelled,

"What the hell is this, Danielle? What are you playing at?"

"I d-d-on't know!" I cried. His hand was at my throat, and squeezing- couldn't breathe, air, need air, couldn't breathe, help me, save me, Liam I need you, help me, save m-

My frantic thoughts were cut off as Ryan removed his hand, and I slid to the floor, utterly exhausted.

"These directions are not mine," Ryan leered at me. "And, these directions are writing about specific landmarks in the maze, stuff no one knows about except me and other planners. So-"

Ryan's ranting was cut short, as the alarm sounded and the loudspeaker was turned on.

"All competitiors to the Starting Room! All competitors to the Starting Room!"

I was never do glad to hear the call of the start of a Game. I rushed out of Ryan's room, while he stood there, motionless.

Time to play the Game.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

862K 13.2K 40
Sweet, caring Robyn doesn't know what's in store for her when she meets the three possessive businessmen Stephan James, Dominic Fitzgerald, and Edwar...
26.6K 2K 54
Life has itself set in stone for Remmy, or at least the stone she has carved her life into. But when she meets the Aldric, a charming man shunned by...
639K 13.9K 61
Charisma White , your typical bookworm beautiful girl no one really expected that one day she will get the eyes of Adam Hills bad yet dangerous guy...
40.6M 1.1M 42
When Arianna marries billionaire Zach Price to save her family, she doesn't expect to fall in love with a man who'd always consider her a second choi...