A Lion in the Midst

By Dare2Dream9813

Charlotte was born a royal, a princess. A Lannister. Through the acts of thievery, she ends up in Winterfell... More

1| The Great Tragedy
2| Duty, Morals and Honor
3| Charlotte Stark
4| Kings and Queens
5| Scars of the Past
6| Birthright
7| Softened Hearts
8| Betrayals and Broken Things
9| Sibling Rivalry
10| A Mother's Love
11| Fatherly Surprises
12| Kingsroad
13| All is Fair with Love and War
14| Hands of a Lion
15| Common People
16| Blood Stained Bricks
17| How to Not Conquer the North
18| Reign of the Golden Princess
19| The Essence of Fire
20| Third Step
21| The Devil's Sword
22| Lion Blood
23| Tomorrow Never Comes, Fate Never Ends
24| Blood of Valyria
25| Intertwined Fates
26| Imprisonment of a Wolf
28| My Greatest Blessing
29| Submission
30| Mercy
31| Ashes in the Wind
32| Once a Stark, Always a Stark

27| Secret Motion of Things

4K 114 26
By Dare2Dream9813

"Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are likely to do next."

Charlotte's POV

An inkling of impending doom overtook my nerves as I stepped through the wavering sheets. Colors of red and gold blowing in the wind, and along with it came the smell of death. An eerie foreboding smell that hit my nostrils before I stepped foot into my grandfather's tent.

"Sebastian?"

My grandfather was standing above a body that much resembled my lover. The glow of life was slowly disappearing from his beautiful blue eyes, and all I could do was watch. "How could you?" I've lost so many people in my life. Accusation dominates my words, anger and resentment filling my once proud Lannister eyes.

"He was all I had left..."

The pain and heartache were sure to follow, a sign of my humanity I suppose. I fell to my knees beside Sebastian's chilling body, attempting to pull his head into my lap. "It's okay Sebastian... The Gods will welcome you into their embrace." I leaned down and momentarily kissed his forehead. "We will see each other again."

I gathered him in my arms as guards and knights began filing into the retched tent. "Charlotte, what happened..." Jaime was staring, his eyes scanning the scene that was about to unfold. "As if you didn't know?" I picked up the nearest item within reach, it being a golden chalice. "You're the reason he's dead!"

I threw it at Jaime's head, and missed by a measly inch. "You killed him! You all killed him!" I pulled Sebastian's body into the corner where I was cowering.

"Father, what is she talking about?" Jaime's eyes hold suspicion as he smelled poison in the air. Liquid that had previously been contained inside the chalice was now bleeding through the once magnificent tapestries that covered the ground.

Tywin's body language indicated that he knew exactly what happened. Shock, nor surprise shown anywhere on his face. "I did it to protect our family. He was a spy."

"A spy?!" I find myself standing just inches away from him, Sebastian's body hunched against the wall. I don't remember standing up. "He was just knighted! He is Ser Barristan's nephew, a most noble and honorable man. He was no spy!"

Jaime walks over behind me, and pulls me away from his father. "Charlotte, he will no longer have to suffer the cruel fate of this world. He was a great Knight, and will be remembered for his loyalty. This is all that you can hope for..." His mouth was inches away from my ear as he whispers those benevolent words. "I know you loved him..." The muscles in my shoulders tighten beyond unnatural belief. He knew. "We can never chose who we love. I don't blame you."

Minutes passed of lonely silence. Jaime keeps me in his arms as I watch two guards take away Sebastian's body. I had no tears to cry, only the blank stare in my eyes reflecting my lost love that would never return.

Had Sebastian really been a spy? Is that how the priestess found me in the Red Keep? Maybe he knew I was the missing princess before I had even known? Questions pile as lost thoughts in my head, as I attempt to filter through my life as a princess.

"You're going to send yourself to an early grave." Jaime was calmly standing behind me, apprehension lining the lines on his forehead. "Come... Let's take a walk... The fresh air will do you some good." He offers his arm, and I do not resist.

He slowly guides me out of the tent, and into the fresh air outside. The smell of dinner drifts through the air, smoked sausage and baked ham. Two of three small children run around, chasing what appears to be a stray dog. Everything was so normal. Yet, as I pass through the camp, normality ceased to exist. The children stopped to stare, and all those around bowed at my approaching stature.

Jaime redirects my attention, pointing to an old man who was standing hunched over. He was leaning against a standing pole that held the Lannister Flag. "This is Ser Aeron. He was a knight long before your mother and I were born. He even knew your grandmother. We both thought speaking with him would calm your mind. He tells the best stories throughout the seven kingdoms." He softly pulls me in the old man's direction.

Even from a distance, he smelled of the smokes of Casterly Rock. As though he spent most of his later years just sitting by a fire as he looked into the flames. However, as we continued to walk closer to the aged man, I realized that under two layers of cloaks, he was still wearing his armor. This man was probably eighty years old, and he was still wearing the armor that was bestowed to him in his earlier life. A vow taken for life.

"Ser Aeron, this is my niece, Cersei's daughter." Jaime pushes me into the last little bit of space that separated Ser Aeron from myself. Ser Aeron's armor creaks with instability, as though it would fall apart at any moment. "Cersei's daughter, yah say? Let me see er'."

I was in the direct path of Ser Aeron's gaze. At eighty years old, and his eyes are still a vibrant blue, proving the point that the skies encased within his eyes had never aged, the experiences and adventures had never left.

"What's yur name?"

I look at Jaime for reassurance, and he gives me a curt nod. "Charlotte, sir."

"Your fathar?"

"Robert Baratheon, sir."

Ser Aeron takes a step towards me, looking me directly in the eyes. "I can see the spirit stirring within your soul, young one. There is much power inside you." He glances over at Jaime. "Leave us, Kingslayer. I have much to discuss with Cersei's daughter." His voice changes from missing syllables to dignified words with annunciation within a matter of seconds.

Jaime leaves immediately, not even catching my glare as I watch him make his way back towards his father's tent. Why are you leaving me alone?

"So, I heard the knight that was poisoned was your lover?"

"Poisoned..." I looked up at Ser Aeron. "That's how he died?" Ser Aeron offers his hand. "Your mind is still so innocent, barely touched with the rages of war. I yearn to be back in that mindset." His hand is still offered to me, and I had yet to take it. Seeing my unease, Ser Aeron retreats to the nearest tent, and comes back moments later with a treat in his hand. "Apple pie? They were one of your mother's favorite sweets."

"I've never tried apple pie before..." I carefully take the plate, and smell the apple spices before placing it in my mouth. "I didn't know my mother liked apple pie." In contrast to everything that's happened within the past few weeks, I had never been given the chance to know her. I place a piece of the pie in my mouth, letting it melt and savoring the fresh pieces of apples and warm spices.

"She would beg the cooks to make them for her as a child." A soft smile fills his wrinkled face. "Cersei was a persistent child, and would always get what she wanted in the end. I imagine she's still like that."

Ser Aeron glances around the camp, focusing on two children playing with sticks. "An old man like me likes to look at the past and imagine how the future could've been made better. An old man knows things because he watches. The secret motion of things that play out, or could have played out changes everything."

He points to the ground nearest the fire softly glowing behind us. "Have a seat, Charlotte. There are some things I have to tell you about your brother." I nonchalantly stare at the ground at which he was pointing. "My brother?"

"Your mother secretly sent me a message when she knew you were safely in Casterly Rock. The ravens are being intercepted by your brother, so she was only able to send me this one." Ser Aeron pulls a note from his left pocket, and unfolds it in front of me. My mother's handwriting was already distinguishable from the distance between him and I.

After a long moment of staring, I willfully sit down beside the fire as though he was about to tell me a fantasy story about Kings and Queens who defeated dragons. However, none such words would come from his mouth. Joffrey is managing to ruin my life hundreds of miles away.

"Have you heard what Joffrey decreed in King's Landing three days prior?"

I look at him with daggers in my eyes. Even the mention of his name brings anger raging through my body. "No, sir. Quite frankly, I wish you didn't have to tell me. Joffrey may be my blood, but he will never be my brother. Anything that concerns him, I do not wish to be a part of."

"You don't have a choice in the matter of this one, miss."

I fiddled with the hem of my dress. You have no choice in the matter. "What has Joffrey done?" Utter disappointment and defeat rings in my voice. I lean my head on my hands as I continue to look at the ground. "He's rid your existence from King's Landing. If you ever step foot into the city, he will have you slaughtered. Hatred is a strong thing, and can fuel the lowest of men."

My eyes widen. My home. "I can never see my family again..." The concern for the crown was beyond me. All I could think of was the suffering that has befallen my family. "My mother wouldn't allow such things to happen?"

"She tried her best, Charlotte. Only she can do so much." Sympathy fills his eyes, the reflection of my face fitting perfectly into his pupils. Eyes of anger and sadness. "Why? Why is all of this happening now? Why not when I was in King's Landing? Why not allow me to return to the castle? Why?"

"You were under the protection of your family, many of which have left or disappeared. Robert, Ned... Jaime's here in Casterly Rock. There is none left to protect you anymore."

My breath left my body. Ned. "What happened to Eddard Stark?" The words that left my mouth were merely a whisper, almost lost in the wind as I try to keep my eyes open. He can't be dead. "What has my wicked brother done to him?"

"Treason against the King. He was imprisoned, and many of his men were captured and slaughtered. I'm so sorry... I know how much that man meant to you. He was your father for so long. He watched over you and raised you. No one will be able to replace him."

"You talk as though he's dead..." A linger of hope resides in my heart. He's not dead. I look off into the distance, a sigh of relief escaping from my mouth. The setting sun was reflecting off the mountains near Casterly Rock, leaving the sky in beautiful shades of orange, yellow, and pink. I could only stare in awe as this was only part of the day that I could rejoice and be glad in 

"I don't think you quite understanding what I'm trying to tell you." Ser Aeron kicks up dust below his feet, moving as though his next words brought great discomfort. "Eddard Stark is sentenced to die." He looks at me with solemn eyes. "He won't be alive for much longer."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81K 4.3K 55
Haezel Hightower fell in love with most unlikely man. Can she save him from his fate? Or will the wildflowers start growing over their decaying bones...
14.1K 428 20
Helaena Targaryen was the last Targaryen alive, or at least Jaime Lannister thought when he held the babe in his arms, telling his beloved sister of...
100K 3.8K 38
Maeve Targaryen was the bastard of the family. Living in the castle when Roberts rebellion took root. Instead of killing Maeve he forced her to Marry...
25.5K 1.2K 40
Rina Stark felt a darkness inside her. She couldnt stop it. Couldnt hone it in time save her family. Could she figure it out in time to save Westeros...