Invade My Heart

By zabellerain

(Second book to “Marked by the Alpha”. It is highly recommended that you read MBTA prior to IMH.) I, Daniella... More

Blurb
Chapter 1 ✓
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Author's Note

Chapter 21

407K 16.2K 2.8K
By zabellerain

The representatives stood in a single filed line, stretched across the green field. We stood about half a foot apart, stiff and restless. The only sounds that could be heard were the shuffling of our feet and the rustling of leaves.

The cold September air bit at my skin, making it much more uncomfortable. I was paranoid. Every time I heard the rustling of leaves, I would snap my eyes to the area Weston had informed us where they’d be coming from.

My heart was racing furiously. I’d constantly wipe my clammy palms on my sweater. My eyes were constantly open and alert. I kept shifting my weight from one foot to the other.

All of us kept staring at each other, silently wishing the other good luck. I stared at every one of them with gratitude. They all played big roles in my life and had given me so much to remember.

I may not be as close to Charles, Alex, and Dustin currently. It saddened me to think that we used to be inseparable, but they let pack rivalries get in the way of everyone’s friendship. Nonetheless, I was thankful that they watched out for me the very first few months I moved to Huntstown. They protected me from a ruthless Weston.

Stacey’s sapphire eyes were panicked. I remembered that very same look approximately fifteen months earlier when she was chained to the wall suffering countless injuries. She had gone through a lot, especially with her mate. I admired her for the strength and maturity she had to get back on her two feet and live life without wallowing in self-pity. She was one of my best friends – almost my sister. She was loud, girly, and was really good at peer mediation. Every girl needed a friend like that and I was lucky to have her in my life.

Jet was stoic, hiding his emotions very well. It seemed like just yesterday when Eli and him raced to my table my first day at our high school. They were the dynamic duo and Jet was the clumsy and awkward comedian. Although he was mean at times, I admired him for his straight forwardness and honesty.

Elliot stood protectively next to his mate, arms crossed over his chest. Eli was a class clown, happy going, and down to earth man. Although he was Beta, he treated us all with respect. He may seem like a ditz at first glance, but he was actually very smart. I remember when he would vent to me about Abigail. I remember his jokes and the way he’d get excited over the smallest things. He was one to appreciate the smallest things in life.

Abigail was the very first person to inform me about the Crescent Pack and their arrogance. I’d always tease her about being mated to one of them, but that joke always back fired on me. She had a hard time leaving Charles, but she was in love with Eli. She was always the bubbly one in our group of female friends (Abigail, me, Jade, and Stacey) and she was the weirdest out of all of us. It was hard not to laugh when you were around her.

I remember Jade was the first person I met at our high school. She was part of the unofficial welcoming committee. She was kindhearted, shy, and logical. She would always remind us to think of the consequences before doing what we thought of doing. She was the older sister in the group. She was mature for her age. She always cared for other people even if she didn’t know them. I admired her for artistic skills behind the camera lens and the way she was friendly towards everyone she met.

My cousin, Beau, was someone I owed a whole lot too. Not only did he teach me majority about Healers, he took time off his schedule just so he could support me over here. He didn’t even need to stand here with us today, but he did. Beau was a great man with great ambitions. I remember when he’d tell me the lamest jokes when I was down or take me out to coffee when our training was over. He treated me like his little sister. He watched over me and protected me. Although Beau seemed like the perfect person with the perfect life, he was broken in the inside. His mom committed suicide a week after his father passed away from a terrible car accident. Although this traumatic event happened in his life, he searched for his mate. He would recite one of his favorite quotes. “It is better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all.” He will find his mate one day.

My best friend, Jarred, who was more like a brother to me than a friend. He deserved the best for everything great he has done in his life. I remember the very first time I met him. It always brought an amused smile on my face as I thought of the lame pick up lines he tried to use on me. He stood up in front of me when Weston was being a jerk. He told me the truth instead of sugar coating things. When I left, he made sure we stayed in touch. He drove down just to cheer me up when I felt my heart breaking to a million pieces. I told him everything and he told me a lot as well. He was a genuinely happy guy, but the people with the biggest smiles have the saddest stories. He never got along with his father or his mother. They always wanted him to be the perfect child with a planned life. Eventually, Jarred strayed away from them and hasn’t talked to them for two years. It was hard on him. I promised myself I would never leave him like he has never left me.

And finally, Weston Marshall – my soul mate. He wasn’t here at the moment, but my mind strayed to him and I wondered if he was doing fine. It has definitely been a bumpy road for us. Then again, what relationship is perfect? We were far from perfect and that’s the way I liked it. He’d been a jerk the first time I met him, but he became the man I loved. After all, what lasts won’t always come easy. There were many memories with him. The arguments we had taught us lessons and strengthened our relationship. We had inside jokes that nobody else would understand. His kisses and his embraces never failed to sway me. He was amazing and I was damn lucky to have him. He risked everything for everyone today and I couldn’t be more proud of him. He was injured both emotionally and physically because of me, but he never abandoned me. He frustrated me so many times and was a constant annoying bee, but I loved everything about him. I probably sound like an infatuated teenager right now. Sorry, I’m a hopeless romantic. I knew there were going to be many more bumps on the road, but I promised myself we will fix them and I will not run away like the last time. He meant too much to me to lose.

As I stood there, antsy, I thought back to my family too. It was hard to know that they were probably going crazy right now, worrying about me. It was harder when I didn’t know if I’d see them after this. I loved them and I couldn’t wish for a better family. They gave me things that I didn’t deserve. They molded me into the person I am today. This is the least I could do for all they have done for me.

‘Guys, get ready,’ I heard Weston in my mind. ‘We’re almost there.’

I gulped, clenching my trembling hands into small fists by my side. With one glance at everyone, we shot each other panicked looks. I could hear their frightened voices in my head, wishing each other good luck. We did not dare say goodbye to each other. We had a hard time.

 ‘Ells,’ Weston linked, but only to me this time. ‘I’m sorry for everything once again. If anything bad shall happen – ‘

‘Wes, don’t,’ I replied solemnly.

‘No, Danny, I want you to know. If anything bad shall happen, just know I’m sorry I failed to protect you. You’re the best thing that has ever happened in my life. Thank you for being you. I want you to know that. It sounds like something from a corny teen chick flick, but it’s the truth. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of saying this, but I love you.’

‘Wes, we’ll make it out alive,’ I reassured. ‘I have faith in us. Thank you for risking everything for us and doing everything you do. You’re an amazing alpha and an amazing mate. I couldn’t wish for better.  I love you too, Dot. Never forget that.’

I heard heavy footsteps and quiet muttering. It was easy to pick up when you had enhanced werewolf abilities. Once their footsteps grew louder, I knew the others could hear it too.

They stiffened, shuffling closer to each other involuntarily. I could practically hear everyone gulp nervously. I could feel the panic rolling off them in waves.

No doubt was I frightened as well.

‘We’re near,’ Weston warned. ‘We’ll be out in the clearing in less than ten seconds.’

My breath hitched and my blood ran cold when a string of thirty hunters followed behind Weston out onto the open field. I could smell werewolves lingering amongst the group. I could even pick them out. I watched every one of them with calculated eyes, prepared for the first shot. They stood in a cluttered group, holding their weapons in their dirty hands.

They were obviously surprised. They weren’t expecting us to show up here. In fact, Weston had told them that they were just crossing this land and they weren’t going to encounter us for another mile.

They cocked their guns and aimed their rifles at us. We crouched, growling at them as a warning. The rogues growled too, snatching the weapons out of each hunter’s hand with inhuman speed. Hunters groaned and screamed when they realized that their fellow “hunting pals” were really wolves.  The shot of a gun echoed in the empty field.

My eyes widened, observing the scene in front of me. A human hunter groaned in pain, hopping on one foot. I let out a relief breath to see that he accidently shot himself on the foot whilst grabbing his weapon back from a fiery red head. Once the rogues grabbed every weapon from their hands, the hunters shrunk back and were prepared to run.

However, Henry held up his hand and ordered, “Stay. We did not come here to run. If you run, they will chase you like dogs do.” We growled at him, but he glared at us with hate.

“What the hell is going on?”  Another hunter asked, retreating from a growling blonde-haired woman.

Weston walked out onto the open field. He stood beside Jarred who positioned himself in front of us.

“Weston?” Henry’s eyes widened. “Son, what are you doing?”

“I’m Alpha Weston of the Crescent Pack,” Weston growled, crossing his arms across his chest. “Looks like you guys weren’t so smart after all.”

“Kids?” Ron gasped, pointing a finger at Beau and me. I rolled my eyes.

“Looks like you can’t trust anybody,” Henry sneered.

“We’re not looking for danger,” Jarred said calmly.

One hunter scoffed, glaring at all of us. “Yeah right,” He spat. “You’re animals.”

“We’re humans,” Weston stated. “We’re just supernatural.”

The rogues had moved to go join us. In the middle of our groups was a big space. It was quiet as we stared each other down. Finally, Weston spoke again.

“We won’t harm you,” He said, ignoring the angry shouts from the hunters. “We just want to make an agreement.”

“An agreement?” Henry laughed. “Ha! That’s hilarious, boy! Why would we want to make an agreement with dogs?”

“What have we done to you?” Jarred snarled. The wolves agreed with him, growling at the hunters.

“You’ve killed and injured our citizens,” A hunter cried.

“We’ve killed or harmed them because they harmed us first,” Eli yelled. “We were using self defense.”

“By using your vicious animal side?” Another hunter scoffed.

“You were using weapons that could kill us,” Charles replied. “We’ve done nothing. We didn’t even start whatever war we are fighting. You humans have started this and I have to say, you people are more ruthless than us ‘dogs’ are.”

The hunters shouted nasty replies to that one. At every comment, we’d shout back at them. It was more of a debate than actual fighting.

“Enough,” Weston growled at all of us. It was so loud and intimidating that the hunters stopped too. Soon, they started their banter again.

“Stop,” Henry ordered calmly. He smiled menacingly at Weston. “Now, what agreement would you like to have?”

“Get rid of the weapons. We will not harm humans. It’s as easy as that. The weapons are the real problem here,” Weston stated.

“How do we know you will keep your end of the deal?” Henry barked. The hunters agreed. He didn’t give Weston a chance to reply. “That’s right, you won’t. You’ve lied to us once and we were fools to have trusted you. So why should we trust you again?”

“It –“ Weston was cut off when Henry took a gun out of his coat pocket. Soon after, the other hunters followed suit.

My eyes widened. Well, we didn’t expect that. We crouched down, growling at the brutal weapons in their hands.

“You didn’t expect that, huh?” Henry smirked. “We knew there was something fishy about these new hunters. We had to be careful just in case.”

‘How the fuck did I miss that?’ Weston linked us, walking backwards a bit. ‘I’m sorry I failed you guys.’

There were a thousand thoughts swarming in my head. I was too young to die. I promised my family that I would come back alive. My friends had families they were waiting for too. My life was over –

“Daddy,” A female yelled.

At the sound of the familiar voice, a growl rippled in my chest. Her presence angered my wolf more. I wasn’t the only one angry. The other wolves growled.

“Hayley,” Henry said, lowering his gun when Hayley stood in front of us. “What are you doing here?”

“Daddy, do not hurt them,” Hayley pleaded, placing her small hand on Weston’s bicep. Weston flinched away. My growl was low and menacing. Hayley watched him with wide eyes, but waved it off. “They’ve done nothing wrong.”

She wasn’t such a psycho freak after all. However, I still did not trust her. Although our new found dislike for this lady, we kept our mouths shut.

Hayley’s statement caused her father to laugh. He lowered his gun and so did the other hunters. “Hayley, honey, I know you’re in love with Weston,” Henry informed. “But they’re nothing but vicious wolves.”

“I know,” she muttered, scuffling her feet.

“You know?” Henry asked with anger. “You chose them over your own father? Hayley, move, this is going to get a little bit messy.”

“No, dad,” Hayley said sternly, looking at her father with her big brown eyes. “You promised to stop killing werewolves even if you didn’t find what you were looking for. Whatever happened to that? You only want one thing. I know they’ve betrayed you, but maybe they could help.”

“You’re right, Hay. Hunters lower down your weapons,” Henry gave in at his daughter’s words after a ten tense minutes of silence. His eyes were hard to read. “Weston, I know you know what I’m looking for –“

“No,” Weston snapped harshly, eyes blazing with anger. “Absolutely not. There is no way in hell that’s going to happen.”

The question that has been killing me was finally brought to the table. What was so important and so valuable that Weston did not want to hand over to the hunters? If he gave it now, this could end peacefully. I knew Weston had it in his possession because he didn’t say, “I don’t have it.” Instead, he refused to give it up.

“Weston, please,” Henry’s voice pleaded with hurt. He ran his hand through his hair. “Do you have a Healer amongst you?” He then looked at all of us. “If any of you are Healers or know of any, please help my wife. She’s a werewolf and she’s been suffering an illness for over two years now. She will die soon.”

What the hell was going on?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

611K 20K 53
Book one in the Legendary Lunas series. Completed. ****************************************** He moved as quickly as a bolt of lightning. Suddenly he...
902K 25.7K 28
"Slowly, little moon-- I'm not going anywhere." ***** Marked wolves were the only wolves that could conceive an A...
446 47 15
WEREWOLF MFM ROMANCE Gabriella had always known she was different from the other children. She was shipped from therapist to therapist, doctor to do...
4M 141K 70
(Update: 2/25/19- This story was original called Alphas Red. Noticing there is so much to be added to this novel. I've decided to make it into a seri...