Durga | ✓

By likhitha9

[Added to Historical/General Fiction reading list of @ProjectWomanUp] #ProjectWomanUp She didn't know martial... More

Prologue and Author's Note
01. A New Start
02. Good Devas and Bad Asuras
03. Nightmare
04. Kamakhya Temple
06. The Interview
07. Ten Avatars Of Vishnu
08. Trust Broken
09. Job Woes
10. Regionalism
11. Light Diffraction Temple
12. Blessing In Disguise
13. Strange Dreams And Bluffing
14. Where She Faints
15. Musical Divide
16. A Box!?
17. Agathiyar?
18. Dye Troubles
19. Silambam
20. When The Limit Breaks
21. Taj Mahal
22. Legends of Siddhar
23. Siddha Medicine
24. Trapped!
25. Madras II
26. Past And Future
27. Nadi Astrology
28. Black Thread
29. Symbols
30. He Has Arrived
31. His Confession
32. Her Worries
33. Her Confession and Trouble
34. The Solution
35. Wives Of Bachelor God
36. Valli and Karthikeya
37. Indumati and Aja
38. Alakshmi
39. Devis Don't Need Devas
40. The Everlasting Flame
41. The Yakshas Potbelly
42. Daivi Astras
43. Her Dark Past
44. Honour Shattered
45. Happy Ending
46. Happy Anniversary
Epilogue
Sequel

05. Revenge

3.1K 275 100
By likhitha9

Durga tried to draw support from the wall and continued to cry till she drifted into sleep. Where she saw another incident from her past.

Five months ago...

"Doctor please tell me what happened to my father?" asked Durga. She was nearly in tears.

The doctor spoke in a detached manner, which they do when they break terrible news. "Your father died due to multiple organ failure."

Durga stood still. Indrajeet was beside her tried to comfort her. Durga tried to shrug off from his grip. She couldn't release herself from his iron strong grip. The tears which had dwelled up in her eyes had suddenly dried up.

The doctor looked at her, aghast. Indrajeet too was shocked. Durga looked at the room, where her father had died. She kept staring at room. One thought revolved in her mind, I know Appa you didn't die. You were killed. Once I get a proof Indrajeet will go behind the bar.

After four months...

" Durga! Your father cheated on me." barked Indrajeet.

Durga looked at him, with no expression. Yet she couldn't bear the thought if someone insults her father. "What is the matter?"

"What is the matter? Durga your father cheated me. He left all the property in your name."

Durga was initially surprised. But she knew her father. Even when he left the world he had ensured some financial security to her. "You know what Indrajeet, my Appa has left the property on my name because I am his daughter."

"Daughter? But you were married to me, isn't it? Yet he left the property in your name. Disgusting."

Durga glared at him for the first time in four months, "Don't you dare call my father disgusting. He never differentiated between a boy and a girl. You are disgusting. Your thoughts are narrow minded."

Indrajeet looked at her with raw fury. He pulled Durga by her braid and pushed her into the room. He locked the door and went to other room. Durga, inside the room, was caged in her thoughts.

I waited in Bengaluru for Appa's death certificate. Now with these certificate and property papers I will give Indrajeet divorce. Indrajeet! I trusted you. You broke my trust. I will see to it that you sign the divorce papers. But the reason for Appa's death is still not discovered. No I can't give him divorce until I find out the reason.

After a week...

Durga took out some powder and mixed it in his tea. She handed over him the tea. He snatched it from her and sipped slowly. Durga watched him with hawk eyes. Indrajeet held his head. Durga took out her phone and started recording. She slapped him lightly on his cheek and asked, "Indrajeet Rao tell me how did my father die?"

" Your father? Ah yes! That Akshad Rao? He was told by doctors that he had sugar problem. So in the hospital, I added a ball of saccharine in his tea. He died."

Durga looked at him. By Devi Shakti, saccharine is 550 times sweeter than sugar, thought Durga.

She held Indrajeet by his collar and asked, "Why did you do this?" forgetting that her phone was there in her hand.

"I asked your father to tell you to stop behaving like an idiot. Going out and studying. Writing stupid articles. He said he won't. He said he will support his daughter until he dies. So he had to die."

Durga left his collar. She looked at him for some minutes and said, "Why?"

"Because of your father you had mustered lots of courage. When the support system is lost what will you do?" said Indrajeet with an evil laugh.

Durga turned away when she felt her phone was snatched. She saw her empty hand, then she heard a sound. Her mobile phone was shattered into pieces. She looked at Indrajeet.

Indrajeet came near her and asked, "You decided to drug me, record my statements and put me behind bars? No Durga. You were mistaken. I am an alcohol addict. This is nothing."

"What have I? Why do you torture me like this?" asked Durga. Today she needed answers.

"You want to know? Then listen. Because of the accident, you can never bear a child."

"What?"

"Your father hid this fact from me."

Durga knitted her eyebrows and said, "Mr. Indrajeet Rao, you were driving the car under the influence of alcohol. You had banged my head against the pole. You ran the car to the divider. Otherwise I would have driven the car."

"You would have driven the car? This is not your Appa's house. This is my house. Indrajeet Rao's house."

"When will you change your thinking?"

"When will you stop questioning your husband?"

"Don't use your authority. I am not a thing."

" WHAT DID YOU SAY?" shouted Indrajeet. He slapped her. Her ear started bleeding. He took the keys and left the home.

That night Durga was ready with the papers. She had planned everything. Indrajeet came home, drunken. He sat on the sofa. Durga came to him and said, "Indrajeet I have realised my mistake. These are the property papers. I have decided to give the power of attorney to you."

"Are you serious Durga?"

" Yes. I am. I realised that since you are my husband I should always respect you. Listen to you, no matter whatever the decision is."

Indrajeet smiled and puffed his chest. He took the papers and signed on it. He went to the room and slept off the bed.

Durga smiled and thought, I never thought fooling this idiot will be so easy. Sometimes alcohol has its own advantages.

The next day...

Indrajeet woke up holding his head. He saw a slender hand had a medicine and a glass of water. He took it from her and gulped the medicine. Durga looked at him crossing her arms.

"Feeling better?"

"Yes Durga. I am feeling better. Why are so happy today?"

"That is because I have filed for divorce. Very soon the court orders will come. I will leave the house." she said and went back to her packing.

"Filed for a divorce? Without my signature?" asked Indrajeet getting out from the bed.

"You signed it yesterday. When you were under the influence of alcohol."

Indrajeet slowly walked towards Durga. Durga, who was sitting on the floor packing her bag, got up.

" You... you took my signature? How did you?" asked Indrajeet. He broke the glass on the floor. He raised to slap Durga when Durga stopped his blow. Indrajeet looked at her with his eyes nearly popping out from his sockets. Durga slapped him with other her hand.

"Mrs.Durga Rao! How dare you?" asked Indrajeet.

"INDRAJEET! How dare you raise your hand? You can call Mr.Narayan Rao. My lawyer. Looking after our divorce case. Our relative. Do you remember him? Of course not. When you had started drinking they broke the relation from you. But when I discovered it, I thought you will leave drinking. That is because I TRUSTED YOU. Do you understand the meaning of trust?"

Indrajeet stepped back and he accidentally stepped on the glass pieces. He groaned in pain, "Durga help me."

"Okay." Durga went to the wardrobe and took out first aid box. She handed over the box to Indrajeet and said, "This box was my best friend for five years. I hope it will also serve as your best friend."

"DURGA! YOU CAN'T DO THIS. I won't let you live peacefully." snarled Indrajeet.

"Do you watch daily soaps? Then why are you giving me such idiotic threats. First learn to stand on your feet. Physically and financially."

Indrajeet left the house limping, without even dressing it.

Durga woke up. This time she found some energy dwelling inside her. She got up and washed her face. She collected the newspaper from the doorstep. She read an advertisement, a job in 'Discovering India's Heritage'. An archaeologist was needed. Walk-in interview.

Maybe I can try my luck here...

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤

Thank you for reading.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.9K 3.3K 30
"If you love somebody, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were." ♡ "I saw this girl at the age of 13...
75.5K 7.6K 34
Growing up she believed she had to live life to the fullest, she could not afford to spend her time on anyone! Growing up he believed life had no mea...
3.3K 182 23
I love you. You love me. I hate you, you love me. I love you till the end of the universe, Your love does not end at the end of the universe. we figh...
1.5M 59.2K 75
Previous Title : Tum Jo Nahi Toh Kuch Bhi Nahi He was sitting emotionlessly. He looked toward her in anger. She also looked at him but she was confus...