Hetalia Under The Big Top

By Hai-iroga

Step right up, ladies and gentlemen, to the most culturally diverse circus on earth! The book made for you, m... More

Act 1: Antonio's Circus Debut
Act 2: Some Ships Set Sail
Act 3: Gilbert Goes For It
Act 4: Yao And The Russian Bear
Act 5: Zwingli Family Trust and Loan
Act 6: Alfred's "Boss"
Act 7: Magician Missing
Act 9: Russian Misunderstandings
Sideshow: New World Flashback
Act 10: German Family Feels
Act 11: Circus Gets Competitive
Act 12: Italians Feuding
Act 13: Lovino Has A Secret
Act 14: An Accident
Act 15: Ivan And The Nurse
Act 16: Now What?
Act 17: Circus Goes To Italy
Act 18: Konichiwa Circus
Act 19: Bullfighter's Big Mouth
Sideshow: German Flashback
Act 20: Nonno Visits
Act 21: Arthur is a wee bit stressed
Act 22: Lovino's Loved Ones
Act 23: Antonio Feels Misled
Act 24: Antonio Quits
Act 25: Showtime!
Act 26: Finale

Act 8: Antonio Visits An Italian

1.2K 68 51
By Hai-iroga

There was still a war but they had won the battle, and that was enough of a reason to celebrate. Not the same raucous celebration they had after surviving Antonio's first circus performance. More of a pull your loved ones close and don't let them go kind of celebration, so it distressed Gilbert to know that Ludwig would be home with Feliciano rather than out with him and Matthew. To Antonio, however, that meant Lovino would be home alone, and that was just not acceptable.

Despite Gilbert's repeated advice, Antonio was still determined to befriend the testy Italian, and so plucked up the courage to knock on his door. Antonio shifted nervously as he waited for him to answer. He didn't know why, he just really hoped Lovino liked him.

The door swung open and Lovino stepped forward to give him his warmest greeting.

"What do you want, jerk bastard? Feliciano is out with the po—."

"Actually I came to see you." said Antonio, trying to sound confident as butterflies fluttered in his stomach. "I thought we could hang out."

Lovino stood there for a second then he looked away.

"I guess that would be okay."

He moved aside and held the door open for Antonio.

"Gracias." said Antonio, flashing him a grin as he went up the steps inside.

He took an initial look around. There was a definite divide of the space between the twins. Not as much as Alfred and Matthew, but divided none the less. It was also more homey and colorful. They had actually taken time to design and decorate their recreational vehicle, rather than just dump their stuff there.

"Ah, lo siento. I didn't know you were expecting company."

"What are you talking about, idoto? I'm not expecting anybody."

"But you're cooking a big dinner?" Said Antonio, gesturing to the large boiling pot and fresh ingredients on the counter and cutting board.

"Che cosa? No, I was making that for me."

"Guau! Lovino, you go to all that trouble just to eat by yourself?"

"I would sacrifice a lot of things, but never my pasta!"

Antonio chuckled. He'd never seen such dedication to a simple meal before. He thought it was adorable.

"Would you like some help? I love cooking."

"Um... sure. Can you cut tomatoes?"

"Can I cut tomatoes?" Antonio exclaimed, rolling up his sleeves as he approached the cutting board. "Back in Spain they called me El Destructor de los Tomates!"

"I doubt that."

"Well, that might be from how many I eat—but all the same!"

"Alright, jerk bastard." said Lovino, handing him a knife. "Get chopping."

"Si, chef!" Antonio chuckled, picking out the ripest tomatoes.

While Antonio worked on the vegetables, he watched Lovino heat up a skillet and toss in the guanciale, then pull out a bowl to mix the sauce. After he had done that, Lovino picked some leaves from the basil plant in the windowsill and added them to Antonio's tomatoes.

Antonio watched Lovino's attention to every detail of the meal with amazement. Lovino was in his element, and it was fun to watch, before a fork was shoved in his face. Realizing he was supposed to taste it, Antonio took the fork and ate the pasta at the end of it. His eyes closed and a blissful smile graced his lips.

"Guau! That es good!"

"Does it need salt?"

"No, it es amazing! Where did you learn to cook like that?"

"We Vargas have always had-a love of food." Lovino explained, moving the bowl of carbonara over to their small table. "I had wanted to open-a restaurant in Roma once I finished school, but... Feli wanted to act."

"Oh..."

"Grab the bruschetta." said Lovino, trying to move on from his last statement.

Antonio took the tray of bruschetta and sat down with Lovino.

"You could still open your restaurant someday, Lovi." said Antonio with a warm smile.

Lovino stared across the table at him when a melodious sound broke the silence.

"What es that?" said Antonio, looking around as if he could find the source of the mysterious music.

"Roderich must be playing his violin again." Lovino listened to the soft notes dance across the night air. "That's odd. He only plays when he has the trailer to himself. Yao must have gone somewhere."    

They sat in the quiet for a moment, just listening to the beautiful music. In the calm, Antonio looked over at Lovino, and for a second forgot how to breathe. It was the most pleasant, almost happy, expression he had ever seen Lovino make.

"What, bastard?" And just like that it was gone.

"Que?"

"You were staring."

"Oh." Antonio looked away. "Sorry."

"The food's getting cold." said Lovino, serving himself a big plate of pasta.

Antonio followed his lead and helped himself to some bruschetta. Lovino loaded his plate up, but shut his eyes and bowed his head a moment before digging in. Antonio raised an eyebrow, but decided not to comment.

Antonio looked around to keep his eyes off the beautiful Italian in front of him. He laughed to himself at the invisible line drawn by the brothers. He recognized Feliciano's things all concentrated to one side of the trailer and the same for Lovino's on the other side. There was some common ground though, primarily the kitchen.

A few things stuck out to him though. A strange string of beads on both of the brothers' bedside tables, and a fancy little water dish hung up by the door. Antonio put all this together when he noticed the crucifix above the window.

"Lovino? Are you Catholic?"

"I grew up in Rome." said Lovino, not bothering to look up from his pasta. "I could have thrown a rock out my window and knocked out the Pope—of course I'm Catholic."

"But... your brother?" Antonio asked, thinking he had figured out the cause of Lovino's anger toward his brother as well as his general grumpiness toward this very very gay circus, but Lovino growled.

"This again!" Lovino groaned, rolling his eyes. "Yes, Feli is gay. Yes, we are both Catholic. No, that-a is not-a problem!"

"Okay, okay." Antonio tried to back out, scared of the angry Italian. "I just thought you didn't like gays, is all."

"We don't-a hate gays! We are not-a supposed to hate anyone! Just-a because some Catholics are hateful does not-a mean they are supposed to!"

"I'm pretty sure I've heard you swear at every person you have met."

Lovino crossed his arms in a pout. "I never said I was a good Catholic."

Antonio laughed. "I don't know, you seem awesome."

"Shut up, idiota!" Said Lovino, his face red. "Now, you sound like Gilbert."

"Of course." said Antonio, making his best Gilbert pose. "I am awesome! Kes kes kes."

"Alright! That's it-a, you are banned from hanging out with your little friend!"

"How about I hang out with you then?" Antonio teased, but he felt fluttering in his stomach at the thought of being together.

Lovino looked a little stunned, but he turned his nose up proudly. "Fine. But-a no more Gilbert impressions!"

"Hurra!" Antonio cheered, flinging his arms around Lovino, causing him to yelp. "Gracias, Lovi!"

"Let go of me, bastard!" Lovino ordered, his face fully red, but he didn't push him back.

"I will if we can make dinner again sometime."

"F—fine! Just let go!"

Antonio let him go, with a huge smile. He was going to see Lovi again!     

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 4.2K 40
This is a Hetalia / Harry Potter crossover (obviously). England gets a letter from Albus Dumbledore asking him, as well as many other countries, to...
196K 3.3K 61
《《《N O MORE REQUESTS 》》》 Hetalia one-shots. Pretty self-explanatory. I apologize for all my mistakes as a young writer, and now as a matured writer...
985 21 10
I dreamt this up one night and made my best friend turn it into a fanfiction. Crossposted on Ao3 under Hetalia__Trash
4.1K 174 25
This is the second book (after The Extent of Love) of this series! Read that one first or you will be confused! He was happy. He was content. Life wa...