Sickly, Sweet - Book One

By HannahPatrixia

~ Complete~ You can spend decades trying to find your purpose and identity and never find it. I didn't know w... More

Sickly, Sweet
Ch. 1 - Winter Dance
Ch. 2 - Lovebites
Ch. 3 - Double Agent
Ch. 4 - Dead End
Ch. 5 - Chained
Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun
Ch. 7 - Monsters
Ch. 8 - Impossible
Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can
Ch. 10 - Falling
Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats
Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass
Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal
Ch. 15 - Temptations
Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand
Ch. 17 - Innocent Victims
Ch. 18 - Barely Human
Ch. 19 - Half-Alive
Ch. 20 - Written in Bone
Ch. 21 - Reborn
Ch. 22 - Heartless
Ch. 23 - Breathless
Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far
Ch. 25 - The Truth
Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis
Ch. 27 - Raise the Dead
Ch. 28 - Starving
Ch. 29 - Typical
Ch. 30 - Captive
Ch. 31 - Bound
Ch. 32 - Lust
Ch. 33 - Tick Tock
Ch. 34 - Never Leave
Ch. 35 - Power
Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons
Ch. 37 - Kitten
Ch. 38 - Fire
Ch. 39 - Life and Death
Ch. 40 - Secrets
Ch. 41 - Thick
Authors Note + Cover Sneak Peek ;)
Ch. 42 - The Faces of War
Ch. 43 - Dare
Ch. 44 - Hard To Believe
Ch. 45 - Revival
Ch. 46 - It's Not Over
Bittersweet - Teaser
RATH FANS(ANNOUNCEMENT)

Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?

45.1K 1.8K 246
By HannahPatrixia

This part is written in third person

***

Valentine blinks his eyes open to a bright ray of sunlight peeking through the thick drapes over the windows. He had noticed the familiar room that he, at one point, lived and found solace in. His arm made it's way over to his face, covering the light that was creeping in.

Indeed, he was grateful for the beautiful gift that he was born with. He stretched as he awoke and the blanket covering his naked torso slipped off of him and he was reminded of the events that took place at the ball.

He rose to his full height and examined his side, checking if the nasty cut was still there. He wanted to burn Datura alive and feed her corpse to the wolves. In all his years on earth, he had no recollection of Datura doing good.

He wondered how he had healed after a devastating fall and wound. Valentine found his thoughts turned to Saphira, the very bane of his existence. Out of all of Datura's exploits, Saphira is the worst. She may not know it yet, but she is and was his destruction.

Somehow fate managed to let their paths cross again. If he had the courage to do it, he would rip his own heart out to rid himself of the irrational.

In a speed only known to vampires, he caught the last spot of sunlight before it retired in the horizon. One thing he loved the most was the way the sun glided over every living thing.

He stood on the balcony attached to his suite, relishing the cool breeze of the wind. Watching the sun rise and set was his way of reminding himself of the fragility of human life. Another day gone. Saphira's strength would soon accelerate and she would be as strong as he. He needed to take advantage of her newborn status, while she is weak.

In a matter of minutes, the coast was safe for all vampires, in existence, to venture out of their hiding places. Valentine senses a pair of eyes watching him and he turns his head to survey his surroundings. His blue eyes fall on a pair of glowing orbs behind a window to a room adjacent to his.

Saphira looks back at the half-naked vampire. A blush tints her cheeks as she realizes her obvious stare on his toned torso and well-built stature. She silently hoped that he had not noticed.

Valentine fights back a smirk that was threatening to show on his face. After a moment of intense stares, Saphira quickly turned away from the window and Valentine's expression drops.

Reluctance.

Ambivalence.

Regret.

Anger.

Pain.

He couldn't shake the emotions that always presented themselves when he saw her face. Saphira's beauty was a masterpiece that would never leave his mind nor his heart.

***

Saphira

*

Quite dramatically, I fall back onto the four poster bed. A blush still riddled my cheeks upon seeing a shirtless Valentine and I breathed in to calm my heart to a steady beat. After a very unharmonious reunion of sorts last night, I was completely exhausted, even with a full days sleep.

All life was drained from me when I transferred energy to Valentine. I had no perception of the limit of my abilities nor its capabilities. It was a risky move, but in turn we both made it out alive.

I was in nothing but a flimsy bra and underwear, something that seemed comfortable to wear to bed. I can barely recall the aftermath of the Masquerade's events. What I could remember was the way Valentine's deep blue eyes held dearly onto mine.

Shaking my head at the thought, I quickly rose from the bed and threw a simple black dress on. Being in a castle, I was expected to behave and act appropriately, but I have never let anything between me and my personality before. I do as I please.

My thoughts flip to blood and how my body craved it like none other. I spent the next hour hunting for fresh blood and warm flesh. It found it extremely difficult due to the unfortunate fact that I was in a parallel realm full of vampires.

It didn't take long until I came across the King himself. He was a tall, handsome vampire with fierce green eyes that seemed to look like they were made of leaves. His flowing brown hair was slicked back, giving him a clean appearance. His aura truly screamed power, grace, and authority.

My mind pushed back visions of the quick meeting that we had last night as he personally escorted Valentine and me to our beds. It was evident that he thought highly of his brother in law, but I didn't know what he thought of me.

"Your majesty," I did a slight bow and a polite smile.

He returns the smile and stops to clasp his hands behind his back. "Please, call me Sebastian," he says in his deep voice,"did you find everything you need, Saphira?"

I look at him with confidence. "Yes," I lie."I was just admiring your grand castle, it's beautiful."

His smile grows into a grin, "Yes, I agree with you on that one, but it's not mine. You see, I am King by marriage, not by blood. This castle truly belongs to the Royal family, the oldest bluebloods known to vampires, the Constantin's."

"But you are King, does is not belong to you as well?"

"In a way, yes. I'm not sure if you understand their history very well," he implied.

A light bulb lit in my mind. "No, I don't, actually, will you enlighten me?"

Sebastian looks past my shoulders then resumes his gaze at me. "I would love to, however, I must return to my duties."

"Then is there a place where I can read about them?"

He stares back at me, trying to read my thoughts, with hesitation in his eyes, "Yes, but I'm afraid you won't be able to find the answers you seek there."

I blink and turn up my chin, "why not?"

"Because what you desire to know do not lie in books, they lie in hearts, tattooed like grim memories."

I purse my lips at the definite maze that I could hardly get myself out of. There it was, confirmed by the King himself that I have hit a dark dead end in my search. The King proceeds to walk down the hall towards a shadow of a man I wasn't quite ready to face yet.

Valentine lurked in the darkness staring through the thick air to observe my every move. I ignore both him and the pain in my stomach and walk to another unfamiliar section of the castle.

I can see the faint glow of his eyes as he follows me - our footsteps alternately making soft taps on the floor. "I see that you've regained your energy," I mutter without turning my head.

I could feel him grimly tighten his lips at my cold comment. "Yes, but you have not, I can feel the pain seep from your body."

I gulped down the burning sensation that was building every so quickly down my throat, realizing that nothing I did helped it to wane. I abruptly stop and lean against the wall. Once noticed, the pain grew stronger and my lust became impregnable.

"Saphira, you cannot continue to do this," Valentine says as he grabs my waist and supports my weight. "Being what you are, your own blood mixed with vampire cells cause your body to crave vampire blood even more. It can kill you."

My jaw clenches. I never wanted to be a vampire. "Then let it kill me."

Valentine grabs my shoulders to have me face him. "Not under my watch," he grumbles darkly. "come with me."

I stare blankly into his eyes then I submit to his invitation. We sped out of the castle doors and quickly ran to the borders of Numidia.

"Where are we going?"

"A club, but I need you to promise me something," his blue eyes flash brightly. Valentine wore a black shirt with sleeves rolled up to his elbow and top buttons were undone and dark wash jeans. A very casual look, even for him.

"Tell me first and I will let you know."

"Don't run."

I narrow my eyes at him. "What will you do if I do run?"

Valentine curls his hand around my wrist and smirks down at me. "I will chase you down and drag you back until I knock some sense in you. Is that what you want?"

"If it gives me a chance to get away from you, then, yes," I challenge.

His eyes change into a dark hue and his lips curve into a devilish smile. "Then we have ourselves a deal."

My face contorts into a glare and we continue where we left off - finding a human.

When we entered the human realm we entered a completely different atmosphere. The air was like we were swimming in the worlds most delicious perfume. It was not a wonder why vampires always liked to live among humans.

My hunger grew into a malicious salivation, even a piercing pain at times. In a brief moment, we arrived at a very popular and booming club. I give a quick glance at its name and growl. I've been here before and it wasn't just once.

I recall coming to this club several times with a date in tow and stalking vampires I was paid to assassinate. My feelings for this place was definitely less than pleasant. It was a top of the line club, fancy and expensive. It was just outside the borders of the kingdom, hence the multitude of humans.

A line of hotblooded bodies circulates the club, waiting to enter the electrifying atmosphere. My fangs stretch, very eager to sink themselves into a pulsating vein. My neck cracks in anticipation and Valentine leads me into the throng of inattentive creatures.

The fragrance was almost unbearable, I mentally remind myself of their precious and short lives, to keep myself from draining their bodies dry.

With my nose, I smell humans and vampires alike and a few otherwordly creatures.

"Take your pick," Valentine whispers in my ear. I mind his hand and arm that snakes around my waist. My eyes roll over the entire room in one sweep, looking for the perfect victim.

As if he was asking for it, a young man sitting at the bar shot me a look of invitation. With desirable eyes and a quick jerk of my head, I gesture for him to come over. The stranger eyes me with lust and stalks over to me and follows me to a dark space. The warm liquid cascades gloriously down throat, flowing into every vein, replenishing my energy and power.

It was an easy feat - I managed to repeat twice more with Valentine watching me through the majority of it. I felt like a damn child - my every move watched and accounted for.

I'll give you something to look at. I ran and concealed myself in the crowd.

One thing that is constant in this world is art, mostly the art of music and dancing. I gotta say, the only aspect I liked about this club was their choice of music. I swayed my body to the music and started dancing among the others wanting to do the same. Just a moment, that is all I needed - a moment to forget.

I didn't want to admit it. Valentine was starting to grow on me like a thorny vein latching itself, unable to be removed. It was a nasty feeling but I couldn't help but feel we were supposed to meet.

This was shattering me into a million pieces. A heavy weight was tugging at my heart, pulling it down to the depths. I lost myself in rage, loneliness, and lies and I can't seem to get myself out.

It was not long until arms were around the waist and hot breath on the crook of my neck. "That didn't take long," I say in a low and husky tone, knowing that he could hear. Valentine was behind me, pressed up against my back, letting me feel his firm muscles through his shirt.

"Well, you gave me no choice," he whispers in my hair.

"Good observation skills. Is this the part where you drag me back and knock some sense into me?" I reply, coyly, with full knowledge of its double meaning.

His fingers trail on my neck and sweep my hair to the side exposing my neck. I close my eyes at his delicate touch and bite my lip. Did he know that he still had that affect on me? I scoff, of course, he did.

"Yes, and chain you to the bed to prevent you from escaping," he says in a very deep and husky voice, completely implying intimacy. An all too familiar feeling of carnal desires flashes like lightning through my core.

I turn around to face him and place my hands on his chest, digging my claws into his shirt and running them down his torso. I feel the vibration of his groan under my fingertips and smile.

"What makes you think I will let you do that?" I taunt.

He raises an eyebrow over his dark irises. Valentine presses himself closer to me so there was not an inch of space between us. "I know you, I can have you tied up before you can say 'please'," he smirks.

I scowl but can't seem to ignore the pooling feeling of pleasure as his hands massage my side. "You are just like your brother, always doing dirty deeds."

His grip tightens around my waist and almost making me growl in apprehension. "He's no brother of mine," he sneers. "And frankly, I'm a bit appalled at the relations you had with him."

"You say that like you own me."

"Sweetheart, I do own you," he said possessively. I narrow my eyes at him and his smug expression. No, I will not do this again. I will not be deprived of more choices than I already have been.

I pull myself away from him. "I don't belong to you. Augustine is your brother. You know why?" I pause. "You both have possessively claimed me like a fucking mutt. Why don't you just join him in hell?"

He digs his sharp nails in my wrist and I could feel my destructive power buzz through my veins.

"If I'm going to hell, then so are you. Whether you like it or not, sweetheart, you and I are bound together. No matter what you do or where you go, you will only come crawling back." I could see his dark irises branch out into the whites of his eyes indicating his wrath. "Your blood calls out to me. It's what happens when you drink from royals."

"You're a damn liar," I say, harshly.

He laughs humorlessly. "Would you like to put it to the test?"

"I'd do anything to get away from you."

His carotid artery throbs on his neck, "Then go. Go back to my brother. I'm sure he'll welcome you back with open arms."

I turn around and speed out of the club as an attempt to get away from all of this bullshit. I could hear his empty growls and anger in the air as I make my escape. To hell with this plan to end the bloody war, if he wanted to end Datura, he could do it himself.

I speed past the bouncer and run. through the street and into an alleyway. I could hear Valentine catching up to me like a train chasing a car. He grabs onto my shoulder and I come crashing down to the ground, with debris flying around me.

"What did I tell you?" He growls at me. I grunt at the pain it caused to my body and swing my leg up to kick him where it hurts.

"That you're a lunatic who will stop at nothing to get what he wants," I say mockingly.

He grabs my thigh and hoists me up to push me flat against the wall. One hand was under my thigh, holding it against his waist and the other was around my neck. His movements seemed to strike a chord in me, one that was sexual. His fingers were dangerously close to my heated core teasing the soft skin.

His face was just inches away from mine. "At least I know what I want and what I want is right in front of me. What do you want, Saphira?" I inhale sharply as his fingers move closer to my throbbing core.

I shove him off of me and kick his chest to send him flying across the alleyway making a dent in the bricks. "What I want, no one can give me."

Valentine falls to the ground and rises to grab my arms but I quickly dodge him and my own hand curls around his. I twist his limb and his body follows along with it as he lands on his back on the ground. His cold eyes burns holes in my soul. "That doesn't answer my question, sweetheart. It doesn't take a mind reader to see what you yearn."

I scoff and look up to the sky. Why the hell am I in this situation? Can't I have a day where I'm fighting the damned bastard? "Then why bother asking, if you already know?" He takes advantage of the moment and swings his leg to sweep mine from under me. Valentine pins me down with his weight, propping himself above me. His hands held mine on either side of my head and his legs trapped mine underneath him.

"I wanted you to tell me yourself."

Peace, I want peace. For his soul and mine. I had realized that Valentine and I were both running the same circles. Although our circumstances differ, we both had the same motives. The same desires. For years I've wanted to end my life. I've lived long enough, seen the world and had enough of it. But that's it, I can't die, the universe knows how many times I've accepted fate and it has never happened.

It's risky, but my heart agreed.

The only way to get what I want is to help him get his.

"I want to make a deal with you, Valentine."

***

Don't forget to comment and vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

401 4 53
We all want to find ourselves but sometimes it's best to leave things in the past and it's probably best to not find out who we are. *COMPLETE*
400 133 32
She embodies all that is pure, fair, and modern. He embodies the depths of darkness, corruption, and ancient wisdom. What unfolds when their destinie...
299 9 21
When a normal girl is in the wrong place at the wrong time, her life will change forever. When a dangerous man starts to spiral out of control he ha...
54 1 9
A catastrophic event sent the world dark. A "Big Bang" of sorts that caused a human disease. That disease would send the populace into a survival ins...