Oh, Dakota

By writerbug44

Dakota Peters is a simple girl. She is okay with surviving high school with her friends, her brother, and her... More

1- Had Me At Hello
2- Why Don't You Love Me?
3- Heart Attack
4- If I Had You
5- And Run
6- Slow Down
7- Stutter
9- Come In With The Rain
10- Really Don't Care
11- Come And Get It
12- For The Love Of A Daughter
13- Bubbly
14- Now Is The Start
15- Start Of Something Good
16- Nothing At All
17- Take My Breath Away
18- Amazed
19- Clarity
20- Love Life
21- Every Rose Has Its Thorns
22- Hurricane
23- Wrecking Ball
24- Sad Song
25- You Suck At Love
26- Bad Day
27- Let Her Go
28- Not Like the Movies
29- Breathe
30- Oh Well, Oh Well
31- It Ends Tonight
32- Hold Onto Me
33- Heart Vacancy
34- Beneath Your Beautiful
35- Warrior
36- Endlessly
37- State of Grace
38- Epilogue
Author's Goodbye </3

8- Madhouse

76.2K 2.4K 1K
By writerbug44

“I think I’m going crazy.” I muttered as I finished braiding my hair down my back in a loose fishtail.

“You’ve always been crazy, kiddo.” My dad laughed softly.

I turned to glare at him teasingly. “Has anyone ever told you that you’re a bully?” I wondered.

He laughed again and then nodded, plopping down on the couch to watch some early morning news broadcast. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure you’ve mentioned it a couple hundred times.”

“Yeah, well it’s true.” I grumbled. For some reason, he didn’t have to leave that morning so early like he usually did, so he was still at home while I was getting ready for school, and since Owen was hogging the bathroom for a shower, I had to do my hair in the living room where there was a mirror hanging on the wall. Sure, I could have done it in my room, but my mirror was a few inches shorter than me so to see my hair in the mirror, I have to stand a few steps back or duck and neither one is very convenient for braiding hair and doing makeup.

“Okay, well what’s got you thinking that you’re crazy?” He wondered.

I let out a long sigh and turned to face him. “Well for starters, Todd isn’t talking to me for some unknown reason, Caleb freaking Fisher asked me to hang out with him yesterday, and Levi and Nikki are officially together.” I explained. Yes, it’s true. Levi asked Nikki out last night. He admitted to her that he was going to wait until after the game tonight to ask her, but he couldn’t wait. I think it’s kinda mushy and weird, but he’s just like that, mushy and weird and stuff.

“Are you finally admitting that there’s a thing with you and Fisher?” My dad asked me with raised eyebrows.

I rolled my eyes and blushed a little bit. “Hanging out is not a thing, Dad.” I informed him.

He chuckled softly. “Sure it isn’t, kiddo. Don’t forget to eat your breakfast. I made pancakes.”

“No, Dad,” I laughed. “You tried to make pancakes.” I eyed the kitchen counter across from the living room where a stack of brown little discs sat on top of a plate. I had poked one earlier out of curiosity and found it harder than a rock. That’s what happens, ladies and gentlemen, when Brian Peters attempts to cook.

“Hey,” He scoffed. “They aren’t that bad.”

I nodded. “They’re pretty bad.”

“Well, I tried.” He defended, returning his attention to the TV as they started announcing the weather.

“What?” I heard Owen laugh coming down the stairs and into the living room. I looked over at him and saw that he was on the phone with somebody, making a bee line for the kitchen. “No, I can’t just not let her ride in the car, it is her car too, you know.” Something told me that he was talking to Todd, and he was talking about me. Because, for some reason, Todd just decided to hate me or something.

“I’ll see you at the game tonight.” I sighed, giving my dad a quick goodbye hug.

He attempted to give me a nuggie, but I quickly slipped out of his grip just in time because I knew that he was going to try that. I told you, he’s such a teenager sometimes.

“Sure, kiddo.” He sighed, changing the channel.

“Or you could just stop being such a-“ Owen continued into the phone but stopped short before catching himself. I assumed that he was about to say a very dirty word that begins with a P, but caught himself because he knew that our dad would have yelled at him for using such a word. I mean, our dad doesn’t really care if we cuss subtly, but rude words like that P word, and the C word and the D word and just any other word for human body parts- mainly the sex organs- he just doesn’t like us saying those kinda words. It’s weird, he’s weird, it’s all weird, but I live with it. “A wimp.” He supplied quickly. “Well then suck it up, we’ll be over soon.” He added after a long pause and then hung up his phone.

“Did he tell you why he’s mad at me?” I wondered curiously, taking a banana from the fruit bowl and beginning to peel it.

He shook his head. “Nope, but I have a pretty good idea.” Owen replied, reaching out to take one of the hockey puck pancakes from the plate.

“I wouldn’t do that.” I said quickly. “Unless you want a chipped tooth or something.”

“I heard that!” My dad called from the living room, but we both just laughed it off and ignored him.

“So, are you going to enlighten me?” I asked him, breaking off a piece of the banana and tossing it into my mouth.

He shrugged, grabbing a packet of strawberry Pop Tarts from the cupboard before we both said goodbye to our dad and then made our way outside to the car. Owen was driving again today. “I don’t think I should.”

“Okay then,” I sighed. It wasn’t really a big deal to me that Todd was mad because I didn’t do anything to him, so he has no reason to be mad at me. And it’s not like we’re friends, he’s my brother’s friend, and I didn’t want to get caught up in some incredibly unnecessary drama with a guy that I hardly ever hang out with. I mean, my theory that he has a thing for me still stands strong, but I was kind of ignoring that because it’d just be so weird, I think, to see Todd like that.

“So, that Braeden guy, how do you know him?” Owen wondered as he drove down the road towards Todd’s house.

“I don’t know him.” I sighed with a mouthful of banana.

“Really?” He scoffed. “You just practically begged Dad to let him on the team because he’s a total stranger?”

“He was lost,” I laughed. “And he was in the wrong gym so I just showed him to practice.”

“Right,” He sighed.

“Why did you say it like that?” I questioned.

“Like what?”

“You drawled out the ‘I’ in right like you don’t believe me.” I accused him.

“Because I don’t believe you.” He admitted. “Don’t chicks like, dig the whole ‘accent’ thing.”

I giggled softly. “That accent is pretty cute.”

“Right, well don’t you have a date with Caleb on Sunday?”

I shook my head at him. “No, it’s not a date, don’t call it that.”

Owen pulled up to Todd’s house with a teasing chuckle. “Yeah, whatever you say.”

“It’s not!” I shrilled. “He asked me if I wanted to go eat or something on Sunday and I didn’t want to be rude and say no.”

“Okay,” He sang in that voice that says ‘I don’t believe you’ and I was pretty sure that he did it on purpose too because I just told him not to do that. “But it’s really weird, you know, you dating someone on the team.”

I scoffed at that just as Todd emerged from his house and started making his way towards the car with a grumpy look on his face. “Okay, one- I’m not dating anybody and two- I know you hooked up with at least one girl on the dance team, so you’re a hypocrite.”

He rolled his eyes at me dramatically. “I did not ‘hook up’ with Monica, we actually dated.”

“You’re still a hypocrite.” I hissed just before Todd opened the back door and slid into the back seat.

“Hey, man.” Owen greeted, driving away from the curb.

Todd nodded in acknowledgment at the greeting but didn’t actually speak, leaving the air inside of the car incredibly awkward.

“Okay, well this is awkward.” Owen chirped about halfway to school. I rolled my eyes at him but didn’t actually respond because he’s just so ridiculously stupid sometimes.

The rest of the ride to school was pretty silent and very awkward but eventually it ended and I said a quick goodbye to Owen before hurrying into the school.

When I got to my locker, I was quickly assaulted by a wildly grinning Marnie, nearly jumping up and down in excitement about something.

“What’s up?” I laughed, opening my locker.

“Have you seen the new guy?” She squeaked.

“Braeden?” I wondered. “Yeah, I met him yesterday, why?”

“Why didn’t you tell me this yesterday?” She screeched and then began a rant that only Marnie could rant. “He is the definition of perfection, Dakota. Did you see his face? Like, I would do so many things to that-“

“Hi,” She was interrupted when the guy himself, Braeden,was standing there beside me.

I heard Marnie let out a small squeak of both excitement and embarrassment, but I just offered him a small smile. “Hey.”

“So, I know this probably sounds stupid, but you’re the only person that I know here and I can’t find my first class.” He explained sheepishly before looking over at Marnie and offering her a small wave and a smile. “Hello, I’m Braeden.”

Marnie was still kind of dying so she wasn’t able to speak for the time being, so I figured I should save her from the weird look he was giving her by speaking for her. “She’s having a heart attack, don’t mind her.”

“Oh, alright.” He said slowly, giving her one more strange look before returning his gaze to me. “So any chance you could tell me where 284 is?”

“Who’s the teacher?” I wondered, since I didn’t know room numbers, I only knew the teachers’ names and which rooms they taught in. “And weren’t you here yesterday?”

“Mr. Fallon and I didn’t get here until halfway through the day.” He justified. “I had to get my schedule sorted and everything.”

“Oh, Mr. Fallon, Marnie has him first period so she can show you. It’s not too far from here.” I chirped, shutting my locker. “Good luck with your first full day, I have to get to class.”

“Alright, well thank you.” Braeden chirped with a friendly smile. He liked to smile a lot, I noticed. But that makes sense because he has probably one of the most adorable smiles ever.

I offer him a smile back before retreating down the hall towards my own class just as Marnie seemed to get her mind in order and began babbling to Braeden as they walked in the opposite direction towards Mr. Fallon’s classroom.

During the rest of the day, whenever I would see Marnie, she’d be talking about Braeden and everything that she found perfect about him… which was everything. His hair, his laugh, his smile, his eyes, his sense of humor, his- yeah, you get the point. It was adorable, considering she hadn’t been that into a guy since Sam Thompson sophomore year. And Sam wasn’t even cute.

However, I didn’t get to sit with my friends at lunch like I usually do because Coach Bradford needed me in the gym to sort out some uniform stuff for the competition on Saturday. I was kind of relieved because then I didn’t have to sit at lunch, which is where Caleb would have probably showed up and I still can’t talk to him without stuttering like a lunatic.

“He’s coming to the game today.” Marnie filled me in as we showered after dance practice, getting ready for the baseball game that night.

“Okay,” I laughed. “Is he going to sit with us?”

“Yep,” She chirped. “I invited him to, since he’s not on the team yet technically so he won’t be in the dugout with the guys.”

“Right, that makes sense.” I informed her, turning off the water in my shower and grabbing one of my towels to start drying off with. “So you really like him?”

“I mean, I’ve only known him for a day so I don’t know if I really like him, but I like him.” She explained excitedly. “We can double date with you and Caleb sometime.”

I groaned at that but didn’t remind her that me and Caleb won’t date, because she was just so stubborn with the fact that I was wrong- which I wasn’t. “Right well that won’t happen.” I sighed.

“Has he texted you?” Marnie asked.

I shook my head. “Caleb? No, he hasn’t. Why?”

“No reason.” She shrugged. “It’d just be cute if he did, that’s all.”

I sighed heavily and got dressed in my jean shorts and t-shirt before drying my hair. “No it wouldn’t.”

“You know, I don’t know why you are so against getting to know him after stalking him for three years of your life.” She pointed out.

“Okay,” I mumbled. “It’s not like I have a choice anymore because I already agreed to it.”

“Yeah, but really give him a chance.” Marnie suggested, hopping out of her shower as I was putting on a small amount of makeup.

“Sure, I’ll really give him a chance.” I agreed hesitantly with a nod.

“Really?” She asked in surprise, getting dressed and then running a towel through her hair.

I nodded, knowing that I’d regret it so badly later. “Yeah, I’ll actually give him a chance.” I repeated.

“Well, this is exciting news.” She cooed, quickly putting on some eyeliner and mascara in the mirror beside the one that I was standing beside.

“Yeah, well I think it’ll get you off my back a little bit, won’t it?”

She nodded. “Yeah,  a little bit.”

Once we finished getting ready in the locker room, we walked outside to the bleachers. Marnie insisted that we wait by the gates for Braeden so he didn’t get lost, which is kind of ridiculous because the bleachers aren’t really that big, but she really liked that guy and I wasn’t about to question her decision.

“Braeden!” She yelped when she saw him coming. He wasn’t hard to spot because he’s so tall and attractive-looking.

He waved back when he heard her and made his way over to us. “Hello,” He greeted us.

As we watched the game, it was rather boring for me, I think, because Marnie was just so far up Braeden’s ass that I really had no room to speak. I mean, it’s not that I was complaining, because she was very adorable when she had a crush, but the game just wasn’t very enjoyable for me, I guess.

Marnie sat between me and Braeden, but he kept trying to include me in the conversation, but whenever he’d ask me a question or something, Marnie would answer it for me and then change the subject. I loved her to death, but when she met a boy that she liked, she could get overly excited.

When the game ended, there was no after party, but a lot of the guys were coming over to my and Owen’s house to celebrate their win. My dad was going to be there though, which is why they weren’t considering it a party because it doesn’t count if there’s a parent there and no alcohol.

Marnie invited Braeden but declined saying that he had to get home before his mom started to worry about him. We said goodbye to him and then both me and Marnie started walking towards the parking lot where we parked after we joined the baseball team for a celebratory dance on the field after their victory.

“Are you coming over?” I asked Marnie.

She shook her head. “No, you know how my mom is.”

I nodded, knowing how psychotic her mom could be, not letting her really do anything especially on a school night. Like, she’s so incredibly strict about most things, it’s suffocating just being near Marnie. “Right, well then I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” She offered a small wave. “And remember if Caleb is there that you have to try.”

I chuckled softly and rolled my eyes. “Right, of course.”

I had to wait for Owen to get to the car, since he had the keys, but I’m sure it’d take him a while because I’m sure he probably has some friends with him that are riding with us back to the house and they have to celebrate some more too. Surprisingly, I’m only stuck waiting for them for about five minutes before Owen approaches the car with Todd, Levi, Caleb, John, and Randy.

“How the hell are we all going to fit into the car?” I asked Owen incredulously.

He shrugged. “We’ll squeeze.”

“Fine,” I sighed. “Let me drive.”

“No, you have to ride in the back.” He insisted. “You have to sit on somebody’s lap.”

“Owen,” I whined. “No, I’m tired and grumpy, just let me drive.”

“I’ll hug you,” He threatened. “I’ll just have everyone here hug you.”

“O!” I whined again. He knew that I hated it when he touched me after a game because he was so sweaty and disgusting that it’s just the worst thing ever, especially since I had just showered a few hours ago.

“Alright, guys,-“ Owen started to sick his friends on me but I cowered because I didn’t favor being covered in gross boy sweat.

“Okay!” I shrieked, shooting him a glare as everyone got in the car. “You’re an asshole.”

He grinned at me before getting in the driver seat. “I love you too, Kota.”

I grumbled an incoherent response before opening the door and seeing Todd sitting on the end with Caleb in the middle and Levi on the other side. Randy was in the passenger seat and John was in the middle of the front seat. I was aware that Todd wasn’t talking to me right now, but I was in no mood to care, so I just stepped in and plopped down sideways on his lap, closing the door behind me and leaning my back against the window.

“Hey there, grumpy.” I chirped.

“Dakota, I-“ Todd began to speak as Owen pulled out of the busy parking lot and started driving towards the house.

“Right, I know, I know.” I mumbled. “You’re mad at me for something blah, blah but blame my brother.”

“I’m not mad at you.” He sighed heavily.

“What a relief.” I grinned sarcastically. “You all smell so bad right now.”

“Thank you for that,” Levi remarked sarcastically with a teasing smile.

“Sure thing, loser.” I sighed, teasing him right back.

“So, Dakota,” Caleb spoke up. I think I was getting more relaxed around him now, since I’ve spoken to him a few times now, but it still freaked me out to actually see him up so close to me and for him to say my name, it was all just really weird.

“Yeah?” I wondered quietly.

“Is that dance competition open?” He asked.

I nodded. “Yeah, tickets are like, three dollars I think, why?”

“Well, you go to every game, right? I figured we could come watch you guys perform.” He suggested kindly.

“That’s really nice,” I squeaked. “But it’s like two hours away.”

“Oh, bummer. Do you have any that are like, close?” Caleb asked.

I shrugged. “No, I don’t think so.”

“I’m sure she can give you a private dance though.” John remarked from the front seat.

All calmness that I felt with talking to Caleb went out the window and I suddenly couldn’t breathe because I was just so humiliated by what John had just said. Owen smacked his friend as he was driving and John whined, rubbing his arm where Owen had hit him.

Thankfully though, Owen parked in front of our house before anybody had a chance to say something else so I quickly got out of the car and bolted away from everyone else even though I still had to wait for Owen at the front door because he had the keys to get inside.

By the time they all got to the door, they were talking about something else, which was a relief, because I felt like I was suffocating in my embarrassment. Once Owen unlocked the front door, I pushed my way inside and rushed through the house to get to my room before anybody could even say anything to me. They couldn’t tease me anymore they couldn’t do anything. Yes, I’m aware that I overreacted, but I was just getting accustomed to talking to Caleb and then somebody goes and says that and I just… I’m just an over reactor, what can I say?

I locked my door behind me and then moved over to my laptop that was perched on my desk and turned it on. I wasn’t in my room for ten minutes before there was a knock on my door.

“Who is it?” I called, not wanting to answer the door if it was like, John or another one of those idiots. And I say idiots in the most loving way.

“It’s, uh… it’s me.” I recognized that voice as Todd, which was really surprising considering he was angry at me about something right now. I mean, I’m pretty sure I know what that something is, but it’s not confirmed yet, obviously.

“I’m coming.” I called back, moving to the door and swinging it open. Todd was standing there in his baseball uniform, which is what all of the guys were still wearing but I could hear them all hollering and shouting downstairs, so it was just me and Todd upstairs. “What’s up?”

He stepped into the room so I shut the door again, leaving us secluded in my room. “Are you okay? You kinda freaked out down there.”

I nodded and sat back down at my desk. “Yeah, I’m fine, I’m just tired tonight.” I replied although I was still really shocked that Todd was just randomly talking to me again.

“So do you like him?” He asked me, sitting on the edge of my bed.

“Who?” I played dumb.

Todd rolled his eyes. “Caleb.”

“Oh,” I sighed. “I mean, no, I don’t think so.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means that I used to have a crush on him, but not the real him, just his image. You know, like a celebrity or something. But now, it’s just weird because he’s all real and whatnot. I mean, despite that party fiasco, he’s really nice and it’s not really fair to use that against him because we were both drinking that night. Anyway, no, I don’t think that I like him.”

“Right,” Todd chuckles.

“Why, do you like me or something?” I wondered. I tried to play it off like I was just kidding, but I really wasn’t. I knew that the idea of Todd liking me was beyond ridiculous, but I couldn’t think of any other reason that he would have gotten so angry at me. And he stopped talking to me after that party when Caleb started paying attention to me. The thought of Todd liking me like that was just so weird to me, though, I doubted that it was even true.

“No, why would you think that?” He asked me.

I shrugged. “You got all grumpy after I started talking to Caleb.”

“Well, if you don’t like him, why are you going out with him on Sunday?”

“Because he asked me to,” I muttered. “And like I said, he’s really nice. You sure do sound like you’re jealous, you know.”

He sighed and then stood up from my bed, moving over to the door so he was getting ready to leave. “It doesn’t matter if I’m jealous or not, Kota, because it doesn’t matter if I like you or not. None of that matters.”

I breath hitched because I’m pretty sure that he just admitted to liking me and although I was suspecting it, I really didn’t expect him to just admit it like that . “It matters to me.” I croaked.

He shook his head and opened the door, stepping out. “No it doesn’t.” And then he shut the door and he was gone. 

______________________________

Hey there! So the picture to the side is the lovely Ashton Irwin, who plays Braeden and I think that's all I have to say for now, so I'll see you guys on Friday <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267K 5.9K 45
School’s finally out and Elijah wanted nothing more than for his band to play gigs at his father’s new Bar, and to continue to obsess over his school...
751 154 29
"He might hear you"my best friend said. "Hear what?"he asked from the back and the least I could do was shrivel at the hearing of his voice. "Somethi...
634K 21.4K 53
"Do they not say that a good friendship builds on a ground of lies?" I joke, lightening the mood immediately as his green eyes glint in humor and a s...
1K 83 23
Riley was a normal 19 year old. She had a crush on the cutest guy she had ever seen. He was her best friends brother. Riley had a crush on him since...