Chronicles of Yugure: Plummet...

By Dreaming_Fantasies

[COMPLETED AND ADDING ILLUSTRATIONS/NEW COVER ADDED] Book One of the Yugure series Indulge yourself in a fant... More

Copyright Notice
Dedications
Author's Note
Introduction
Day One
Day Two
Day Three
Day Four
Day Five
Day Six
Day Seven
Day Eight
Day Nine
Day Ten
Day Eleven
Day Twelve
Day Thirteen
Day Fourteen
Day Fifteen
Day Sixteen
Day Seventeen
Day Eighteen
Day Nineteen
Day Twenty
Day Twenty-One
Day Twenty-Two
Day Twenty-Four
Day Twenty-Five
Day Twenty-Six
Epilogue
Index
Author's Note
Book 2 Day One ~ A Sorrowful Beginning

Day Twenty-Three

63 5 9
By Dreaming_Fantasies

The morning is calm; everything is quiet. A gentle breeze welcomes me to this strange new realm, stroking my green feather mane. The colorful slate blue sky slowly begins to brighten as the stars fade away to make room for the sun. My thoughts are on my dead friend and how he sacrificed so much for us to escape. Who knows what will happen to his friends now that he isn't there to protect them. This is the reason why we must stop this war before it begins; this is why we must join the fight.

I look down from the plateau we arrived on to watch the long grass sway in the wind. Updrafts and tunnels of hard blowing wind can be seen in action as stray leaves blow around in the sky like airships. ''Tis amazing how those leaves float around like that. They truly look like the ships that travel in the sky, like the ones I've only read 'bout. That one over there looks exactly like an airship!' I watch in awe as the leaf slowly floats closer. 'Quite amazing how 'tis still headed this way without even being the slightest bit wavered by the wind. Oh, wait, that's no leaf.'

I step away from the edge of the plateau cautiously and return to our camp, which is only about twenty feet away from where I now stand. Sendaar is already up watching the object inch its way closer to us. "It shouldn't be too long before they reach us. Best start packing up camp." The pyroraptin hops over to his makeshift bed of leaves and soft moss and starts to collect any belongings he may have left scattered about.

Since we had lost our gear during the first time being captured, we've had to improvise with the nature surrounding us. I helped of course, supplying us with some moss and large leaves to use as blankets. Hotaru sort of stared at me strangely while I grew plants just by shaking my hands of the dust like substance, but he didn't say anything.

"Who are they? What are they?" I ask fervently, excited and curious yet worried at the same time. I follow Sendaar around the camp, helping him gather up our equipment- whatever we have left after our troublesome journey.

"All in good time, Enoki. We best wake up your friend," the raptin pats me on the side looking down to where Hotaru lies. I nod in agreement, wondering what the best way would be to wake the dragon.

Afraid I'm going to burn myself, I grab a stick and cover the end with moss. Slowly, I reach over to him, nudging him ever so gently. Nothing. "Psst," I pester him further with the stick. Still, he lays peacefully sleeping.

"Hey, use this." Sendaar smirks, holding the canister of water.

"Sendaar! He's a lava dragon. You don't do that to one who lives in lava." I look at him in a scolding way. The smile doesn't leave his face as he puts the canteen into his bag, snickering. I crack a smile, shaking my head with humorous disapproval.

The blip is closer now, and I can make out the distinct features of a Class V Cloud Cruiser. Enthusiasm flows through my veins, seeing one of the most extravagant airships in the air flying towards us. I now start jabbing at Hotaru, agitated that he won't wake up. I want to go check out the Cloud Cruiser.

Finally, he hisses, opening his eyes to reveal slits. "What." He grates, looking at me in the most irritated fashion.

"Someone is coming," I reply bluntly.

"Good or bad?"

"I'm unsure."

The propeller can now be heard from our camp. It pitter putters its way toward us in all its glory. The balloon that holds this mechanical steampunk art up in the air is held down by multiple ropes, creating a cloud shape-hence it's name, the Cloud Cruiser. I've heard so much about these airships from books that I'm rather a big fan.

"Looks like a bucket of bolts to me," Hotaru sniffs.

I turn in shock. "The Class V is one of the fastest airships out there. It can go a steady eighty miles per hour at top speed; you can't do much better than that." My hands move all over the camp, double checking the area for my items all the while defending the integrity of the ship.

"As a matter of fact, I can. I have clocked my top speed at one-hundred-twenty-four." Hotaru puffs out his chest with pride and I roll my eyes.

'Such a big shot now, aren't we? I bet ye were also picked first f'er sport teams and the MVP of every game.' I let my brain wander, completely oblivious to what Hotaru is saying now.

"So, little flightless lizard-bird, who are these people?" Hotaru calls out after my inner rant is finished.

Sendaar has given up on making him stop with the wise cracks, so he just replies curtly, "Sky elves, and they don't appreciate cretins, so watch yourself." I try not to laugh at Sendaar's quick jab at Hotaru, but I manage to let a snicker escape. The dragon huffs in a way that almost appears like a sense of respect, as if Sendaar's attempted insult proved his worth.

"Sky elves..." It chills me to the bone. To think, that I would be meeting one of the higher civilizations in all of Yugure. Ones with unfathomable steam-powered technology and an excellent shot with any weapon, the sky elves are well known as well as their wares- which are always in high demand. "I've always wanted a pair of bi-night-cular goggles, which are a gorgeous set of night vision goggles that zoom in to give you a 50/20 vision. They even work in the daytime. I wonder if they make them in m'measurements." I say with excitement. This time it's Hotaru's turn to roll his eyes and shake his head disapprovingly.

The ship pulls around, coming in to anchor into the plateau on its side. Two hookshots fire from either end of the docking side of the airship. The grappling barbs punch their way through solid rock and compacted dirt to grip the earth and pull the ship close enough to allow the automatic drawbridge to reach the land. Three elves walk off the ship to greet us. They immediately recognize Sendaar and meet him with a big pat on the back.

"Welcome!" They speak to me now, offering a hand shake, which I take politely. "We are pleased to see that you've made it to the Spires. I presume you are the one Lady Asha had mentioned would be coming? I am Bellsulion, leader of the rebellion. Welcome to the Stronghold." This certain elf is certainly one of brawn. A chiseled complexion overcomes him and his acorn brown hair swoops around his head before settling in its place after he removes his helmet to show off his hazel colored eyes. Doing so reveals the same colored dimples scattered across his face- giving him a boyish look although his voice clearly states otherwise.

I let my jaw drop. 'Rebellion? There's a rebellion against the Mist?' Thoughts and questions compete to be the first to exit my mouth into actual sentences. This is all so exciting to hear; we may have a shot to defeat these terrors.

"How did all of this happen? I mean, who all knows of the rebellion?" I blurt out with interest.

Bellsulion smiles at my sudden curiosity. "We here in the Spires have heard much about the Mist's thirst for blood from caravans who travel all over Yugure's many realms. They have told us of the outside world's struggles. We have always kept to ourselves and very rarely do we leave this realm, but it has come to our attention that the realms are in dire need of our assistance and we shall do everything in our power to preserve the way of life for us and for every known creature.

"Not many know of our existence- even the Mist are blind to our growing presence. Asha has been secretly delivering messages to Sendaar, who in turn deliver them to us in the disguise of a caravan trader with his friend, Namazzi. They are the only ones who know of the portals to the Spires, for we designed it that way. Once we heard of the League of Mist's plans to enslave Yugure, we did what we must and closed all portals, save for two synthetic portals we created in secret."

"So that is why only Sendaar could lead me here," I clarify to myself. "I understand now. But, I 'ave one more question: why am I here?"

Bellsulion guides us on board, "In time, you will understand, but we need to prepare for the inevitable. War is coming, whether we like it or not. The League of Mist has targeted your realm, in hopes that they might discover the knowledge they seek to destroy the dragons of Hikari and inevitably, all of Yugure.

"Aaryan and his forces somehow have learned about the First Realm's library. We believe that someone from the inside is working with the Mist, but for now, we cannot be sure. It's only a matter of time before they strike. Our intel from the outside has warned us that their armies are near complete, and will strike within weeks from now, so we must be prepared." The elf pounds his fist on the guardrail that now fences us in from falling. I nod, slowly processing all that has been said. My home, my world, could be destroyed at any moment.

"We 'ave to warn the gryphons!" I say with a worried tone. I know they won't be very well defended. We've had no need for an army since we have been secluded for so many years. But now, if no one warns them, they could be obliterated within hours.

"Not to worry," a she-elf approaches us, supporting Hotaru as he hobbles on three feet up the drawbridge. Her hair is a nutmeg coloring, complimentary to Bellsulion's when placed side by side. I notice immediately her grass green eyes, which seem to have captured the sun in small, yellow droplets speckled across her irises. "We have already sent word to Hikari to relay a message to the First Realm. Lady Asha is preparing troops to defend the gryphons as we speak. Your home shall be safe."

I let out a worried sigh. I feel better knowing that things are being taken care of, but the idea of me not being there to protect them now is bothersome. I introduce myself to the female and she gives me her name, which is Adlanniel.

I fear that these names are going to get more confusing as I go, so I hope, Dear Readers, that you can follow along. If not, I have placed a complimentary Index at the very back of the journal for your benefit. This is another good reason why you should always learn the language of the place you are going to visit so that you may understand and communicate to the best of your ability. I just hope they all speak common Yugurian; I really don't want to have to play charades to find the restroom.

I assist Adlanniel with leading Hotaru down inside the airship. He mumbles about not needing help, but neither I or our new elf friend listen. We pass a few corridors and reach their sick bay, where three nurses come to aid Hotaru's injured foot.

I offer to stay with him, but he refused saying, "I don't need you to mother me. Go and explore the ship's baubles like a good dork." He need not to tell me twice. I forget the rude remark altogether and head out with Adlanniel as she shows me around.

"So, your friend... he seems nice." She tries to start up small talk.

"Oh yes, good ol' Hotaru. Ev'ryone loves that hot headed, sarcastic lug." I say quietly, just audible for Adlanniel to hear. She laughs and then I follow suit.

"Hotaru mentioned you like science and technology on the way up the bridge. Would you like to see our latest inventions?" She turns to lead me down another corridor.

I mask a feminine squeal of delight and I eagerly say yes. I wonder if she had heard my squeal as she quietly giggles as she takes me into a fantastic room with so many treasures. I'm star struck as she leads me down the walkway, naming the inventions as she goes along. Knowing myself, I struggle to keep my hands to myself and not touch any of the new equipment.

But then, out of nowhere, I spot the bi-night-cular goggles sitting on a pedestal behind a glass case. "Oh m'goodness. Aren't those a beaut! Fifty-twenty vision. I can only imagine." I give in and place my hands on the glass case to get a better look at them. 'Oh, how technology can be so glorious!'

The golden bronze metal creates the lens frames - which is just like a spy glass - able to extend outward for better visibility. Green lenses are shaped to perfection which gives this masterpiece the power to see farther than an eagle. So much for a bird's eye view; these things put them to shame! The adjustable leather head band is also a big plus.

"I see you've taken a liking to our goggles?" She tilts her head in amusement to my childlike qualities that I am currently possessing. I'm like a kid in a candy caravan and I don't care even the slightest.

"Oh yes, quite. I've read up about these babies f'er quite a while. The ingenuity is exquisite." I reply, blushing.

She comes over and leans on the case. "I don't suppose you'd want a pair?"

'Oh. My. Grapes.' I feel like I'm going to faint. "Oh yes please!" I jump once with excitement, cautious that I may accidentally knock some priceless thing over. "Thank you! Thank you so very much."

"You're very welcome!" She snickers cheerfully. "Let's go get you sized up then. We'll need your measurements to make the straps fit you." I nod in agreement- I couldn't be happier.

~

We end up having a wonderful conversation on the deck, once I have finished getting my measurements made. Adlanniel explains that she has been training with her plasma bow for three years now just for this moment. I, for one, am quite excited to see what a plasma bow is for I know it will be something magnificent! My half of the conversation consists of the past few weeks and what has become of my once so easy task of cataloging species.

"Amazing," is what she describes my tale. "I have never met a gryphon before. When the caravans use to come by here many years ago, I'd always listen to their stories of other lands and magnificent creatures. Never did I think that I would one day get to protect them."

I smile at her wonder in other realms. "I've always dreamed of exploring other realms- to get away from the every day formalities. To be able to be free from the same old routine, but now, now that I'm out here, I miss home." My hand feels through my satchel, searching for Shadequill's scarf. Mum told me to wear it, but I had completely forgotten about it. Finally, I find the red plaid scarf and pull it out just to look at it sentimentally, but it blows out of my hands and into the breeze.

"Oh!" Adlanniel cries as she leaps onto the guard rail and hops to the ratlines. She nabs my scarf before it can escape the airship. "Here," she pulls the scarf over my neck and makes a neat tie at the center of my chest.

I stroke the scarf with my right hand. "Thank ye."

Her eyes turn away at the sound of large footsteps. It's Hotaru, hobbling on three legs with the tip tapping of the fourth following slowly behind. "Don't worry, it's just broken. Nothing I can't handle." He says, showing us the lightweight metal cast that now covers his foot. "They said I'd burn anything else they normally use for casts, so they came up with this trinket. It's fire resistant." The dragon smiles at Adlanniel. "I must thank you again for your services, they were most helpful, although rather redundant." He performs a low bow and hobbles off to Sendaar- probably to take a jab at him.

I let out a chuckle, "That's the first time I've ever heard him make a compliment. He must really like ye."

We both laugh but are cut short when the first mate calls out, "Prepare to dock!" Adlanniel explains that she must help with the landing gear and I bid her farewell.

I travel over to my companions so I don't feel awkwardly alone in the middle of the deck. Sendaar smiles at me cheerfully, "You're going to like it here." He grabs my head and points it toward where we are headed.

"Wow." I whisper with awe. It's a whole city of colorful technology. Buildings are decorated with moving cogs, all functioning to produce white puffs of steam. What process is exactly going on in these cogs and their homes, I won't know.

Our airship puffs onward, slowing down as we putter towards the dock. Four strong men clad in aviator jackets along with the berets and goggles to match readied themselves at the edge of the dock to pull the Class V Cloud Cruiser in with the ropes that our crew throw to them. The latest aerial fashion in sky elf culture is to wear the sleek design of an aviator beret strapped to the head by goggles- a rather fine choice indeed, if I say so myself.

I have completely forgotten that I am on just a meager plateau when my vision surrounds itself in the wonder of these amazing mechanics. I spy a pair of children riding bicycles powered by steam and the mechanics one would see on a locomotive's wheels. "Fascinating," I say just loud enough for Adlanniel and Bellsulion to hear as they pass me by on the landing plank.

"I would say so, our best inventor has a lot of fun making these toys for the children. He's a genius in his own right. Alright friends, follow me." He waves us towards him and slings two duffel bags over his shoulder.

We follow him to a track of some sort. "What's this?" Hotaru asks with curiosity.

"Ah, this is the Coaster Express. You'll like this," Sendaar says with a grin. I nod with excitement as I can see the train pull in. Wait, that's not a train.

"Is that..." I begin to say.

"A roller coaster?" My fiery friend finishes my exact thought.

Bellsulion laughs boisterously. "Like I said, my friend, our genius inventor sure does love what he does best. We'll get you all settled in for the day: freshen up, relax, and recuperate. Then tomorrow, we'll get down to business."

The bubbly shaped coaster rolls in and screeches to a halt. Each car is separated by couplings and a glass dome covers each of the segments. Our gracious host steps forward and opens the first car, "All aboard the Coaster Express."

/Oh my goodness! I must be posting a ton of author's notes, but I want to keep you all up to date. I'm so sorry this chapter took so long. I've been going through the other chapters and finding vocals for each important character - so far, so good - as well as getting side tracked in the outside world.

As for this chapter, I've been so excited to finally release this baby. I've had this in my head for months now, and I can finally draw Enoki's signature goggles in the illustrations along with his red plaid scarf. (Lol, the things that excite me.)

I hope you like the idea of adding actual technology to the mix. I wanted to introduce the steampunk elves in the novel's sequel, but it ended up coming sooner, since I changed the plot around a bit.

I've got so many ideas buzzing around in my brain, I best write them down before I forget them. The grand finale is coming sharp around the corner, so buckle up, kiddies! We are nearing the completion of my first ever novel, and I'm so glad that I get to share it with you all. Thank you so much for your help, advice, and support over these months-this book is for you all.

Do show your support by pressing the star button along with commenting your thoughts! I want to hear from all my devoted readers. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR 1K READS! I'm looking forward to seeing the day when Yugure reaches 1K votes; I'll seriously jump out of my socks when that happens.

Stay creative,
~Eno/

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5K 458 20
Life is a roller-coaster of emotions. Discovering the upcoming continental war between humans and creatures thought to be mythical is a BIG-BONE hind...
565 174 18
Axle has known magic his whole life. Not the kind of magic from stage acts and swindlers on the streets, the kind that was used in secret, under the...
2.3M 126K 36
I'd Like to think I was a good person, before it all began. I didn't cheat on tests, or steal. But throughout my entire life, I was treated if I wer...
17.4K 1.5K 30
[complete] "A human, a wulver, and a fairy walk into a witch's hut." It was like the start of a bad joke. Fleeing from her home in the States after...