The Taming of the Goblin King

Door kickstar

Years later, Sarah returns to the Goblin Kingdom older and wiser. King Jareth wants revenge. Can she make a l... Meer

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Epilogue
Poem: Flame

Chapter 6

2.3K 83 11
Door kickstar

Back in the King's private study, Jareth lazed in a chair, practically indolent with contentment as he watched Sarah. He had toyed with the idea of giving Sarah a suite to herself, but quickly rejected the notion. He found sharing his chambers with Sarah far too pleasing to allow her to move out. Still, he wanted his Sarah to feel comfortable around him so he had added a few elements to her room to give her some privacy as well as luxury. He hadn't even minded when her greatest joy had been at the return of her locket; especially now that he knew why it meant so much to her. Then, just when he thought his day could not improve, Sarah, in her musings, had presented him with another opportunity to give her something she desired and thus improve their relationship.

Frankly, it amused Jareth to no end that Sarah seemed to desire such mundane things this time. He was after all one of the most powerful Fey that ever lived and able to reorder time. Last time they met, he had done just that and more in his failed attempt to beguile her. Now, she only longed to see his kingdom. Jareth had to admit to himself that he was elated over Sarah's curiosity about his domain. In his mind, he was already planning the many places he couldn't wait to show her, knowing they would bring her pleasure. But first, he would start with the Goblin city itself.

A short time later, Jareth sent a goblin to summon Sarah. He had been quite patient in giving Sarah some time to settle in. He had even been generous enough to let her spend much of the day with her old friend, Hoggle. But he had grown tired of waiting and was anxious for her company again, especially in light of the day's revelations. He had quickly changed his study into a more relaxing and inviting space and even conjured a light, but delicious meal to share with Sarah.

For her part, Sarah was a bit nervous at being summoned by the Goblin King. Sarah was still reconciling her new realizations about Jareth with her own tumultuous feelings. So, when she was taken to "the Kingy's private studyness room", Sarah wasn't sure what to expect. When the giant door opened, Sarah was pleasantly surprised to see a rather pretentious but inviting place. Though an imposing desk and throne-like chair occupied one corner, the rest of the room consisted of overstuffed, comfortable furniture that surrounded a roaring fireplace. In the center of a rather plush looking rug, a table heavily laden with scrumptious smelling food stood next to a pair of chairs. Next to the chairs was the Goblin King.

"Ahh, there you are, Sarah." the Goblin King said rather genially. "I've been waiting for you. I hope you and Hoggle had a pleasant visit."

This time it was Sarah's turned to be confounded by the Goblin King's behavior.

Sarah was totally bewildered at the pleasant tone Jareth was speaking in.

Where was his usual sarcasm and smug arrogance? He was even truly smiling, for heaven sake!

Sarah curtsied and replied a bit self consciously." Umm, it was fine, Your Majesty."

What Jareth said next bewildered her even more.

" I thought we might dispense with some of the formality tonight, Sarah" he said. " In fact, I was hoping we could get to know each other a bit more over dinner. Besides, I do have a name, you know, Sarah, and it would please me if you use it. You may address me as Jareth, if you like."

Jareth strolled over and leisurely took Sarah's hand gently in his own. He guided her over to one of the chairs and gallantly pulled it out for her as she sat down. Once she was settled, he took his own seat and began fixing their plates.

"Try this, Sarah. I think you'll like the taste."

Over the next two hours, Sarah began to relax as she and Jareth actually talked for the first time. Jareth had once again perplexed Sarah by being interested in her life over the past three years. He had asked her questions about her mother, her classes, her life in Manhattan, and even wanted to know how Toby was faring.

Never one to miss an opportunity, Sarah had been equally inquisitive about Jareth and his past. It surprised her to learn that Jareth had become King at the tender age of fourteen after the death of his grandfather, having lost both his parents much earlier. From then on, Jareth had been virtually alone. As they continued to talk, Jareth told Sarah things he had never revealed to anyone. For some reason, he found himself opening up to Sarah in a way he never had before. To his own surprise, he found talking with Sarah easy and comfortable, as if they'd know each other forever.

He even told Sarah the true story that the book "The Labyrinth" was based on.

"So let me get this straight," Sarah said. "A mother wished her own children away?"

"Stepchildren" Jareth corrected." The father had died and the woman was tired of caring for them."

"But that's terrible!" Sarah cried.

"True." Jareth said" But keep in mind, it was several centuries ago, Sarah. Times were much harder then."

"That's no excuse!" Sarah maintained." Did you offer to let her run the Labyrinth to get them back?"

"No." Jareth sighed. "I never got the chance. That featherheaded woman took one look at me as soon as I appeared and ran away screaming before I got out the first word!"

Sarah bit back a snort of laughter. Abandoning two young children was no cause for mirth, but Sarah couldn't help picturing a perplexed Goblin King standing there motionless as the woman fled shrieking.

"So what did you do?" Sarah asked.

"What could I do? The children were both about the age Toby was last time you were here. I found them foster parents. Luckily, I knew of a goblin baker and his wife in the city who were childless. They were overjoyed to take the two in. In fact, those two children still live and work in their goblin parents' bakery to this day, though they're grown and have families of their own now. I think you may have actually had some of their sweetbread for breakfast this very morning." Jareth replied.

That brought back to Jareth's mind the real reason he wanted to have dinner with Sarah.

"Sarah," he began." I'm having a ball the day after tomorrow and there's the small matter of my escort."

For a moment Sarah's heart sank. Surely he didn't expect her to look after his date, did he?

"I realize it rather last minute and may be a bit unusual for you, but I promise you'll have a good time." Jareth continued.

Sarah heart flared up again as she realized Jareth was expecting her to accompany him to the ball. When she spoke, she couldn't keep the enthusiasm out of her voice.

"I'd be delighted, Jareth." she murmured. "What's the occasion?"

Jareth merely shrugged.

"I've simply decided to have one." he said "I usually do every now and then."

"Oh." said Sarah." Well, I'm sure it will be wonderful!"

"There's something else, Sarah" Jareth went on. "I'm afraid I need to go into the Goblin city tomorrow to see the mayor and town council. I'll probably be gone for part of the day. It occurred to me that you haven't seen much of the city and I thought you and Atta might like to come along. I'll be occupied for a few hours, but I 'm sure Atta could show you around while I'm busy. You might even find something you like. Would you like to come?"

Sarah's eyes lit up at his invitation and Jareth couldn't hold back a smile.

"I'd love to!" Sarah said a little breathlessly." You're sure you don't mind?"

"Absolutely not, Sarah!" he replied. "You have no idea how tediously boring these meetings can be. I'd welcome the company."

"That sounds wonderful. I can't wait!" Sarah replied as she looked into the Goblin King's mismatched eyes." Um…, Jareth, I just wanted to say thank you. You know, for returning my locket and all the rest. I appreciate it. I know you don't have to be so kind, so it means a lot that you have been. I just wanted to let you know that I'm grateful."

Jaret looked at Sarah with a strange gleam she couldn't even begin to comprehend. When his voice came, it was rather quiet and had a tone Sarah had never heard before.

"You're welcome, Sarah. But it's getting late; I'll have someone take you back to your room."

Reluctantly, Sarah bid Jareth goodnight and followed the goblin he had summoned back to Atta to prepare for bed.

The Goblin King watched Sarah go with a regretful sigh. He hadn't wanted to end their evening, but he knew it was for the best. When Sarah had gazed at him with that longing expression on her face and begun thanking him in that rather sweet tone of voice, it had been all Jareth could do not to seize her right then, haul her into his lap, and kiss her breathless.

Unfortunately, that might have sabotaged his whole plan, so he had reluctantly ended their evening. He wanted Sarah to be his forever and he was willing to wait for her.

A few hours later, Jareth returned quietly to his chambers. He had deliberately delayed to give Sarah enough time to prepare for bed in private. He looked over to see the curtains of the small room now adjoining his own pulled almost completely shut. Quickly, Jareth made his own preparations and settled contentedly into bed. From the other side of the curtains, a quiet voice spoke.

"Jareth, I really enjoyed dinner with you tonight."

The Goblin King replied quietly," So did I, Sarah."

"Goodnight Jareth" came the warm, contented sigh.

"Goodnight Sarah" he said softly. Then his voice dropped to barely a whisper. "Sleep well, my sweet Sarah. Soon you will be mine forever and then neither of us will ever sleep alone again."

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

17.6K 442 22
A few years have past since the last time Jareth and Sarah have seen one another. The Labyrinth has been quiet, to say the least with out Sarah there...
91.4K 3.7K 51
***This is a Labyrinth Fanfic. I bellieve you will be able to follow the story line even if...
13K 780 53
Things weren't going well for Sarah. Roughly, four years after she ran the Labyrinth, Sarah returns, but she has to hide from the Goblin King. With...
12.6K 392 15
Sarah just defeated the Goblin King and won her brother back but she is back to the Labyrinth the next morning after an accident. Without knowing how...