Naveena STARK :||: Queen Seri...

By sarahthewriter20

Naveena STARK the first book in the Queen Series. Naveena has been playing the Game of Thrones since she was... More

I AM THE AUTHOR!
Prologue
Prologue II
2) Naveena
3) Naveena
4) Naveena
5) Naveena
Under Major Editing
#2

1) Naveena

3.9K 66 4
By sarahthewriter20

The Kings Road wound directly through the centre of Westeros, running all the way from King's Landing to the Wall in the far North. The journey had mainly been uneventful, despite the lack of privacy in a camp and the crowds that gathered in every town we rode through. The king was overflowing with happiness at being out and about again, back on the road reliving his days of riding to war. I doubt his horse shared the same sentiment.

The further North we travelled, the hot sticky atmosphere of the South gave way to cool breezes and fresh crisp air. It would take a company of our size at least a month to reach Winterfell and provisions had been packed and planned in accordance. Every inn we visited, they were showered with riches, but it left their food stores and supplies empty. But living in a camp so large did make it easier for me to avoid my brother. He was too distracted with all the excitement to notice.

I was also avoiding Jaime. Since that afternoon Robert had interrupted our training, I hadn't returned to the Kingslayer's bed. I now realised the stimulation he supplied had become a crutch for me to release all my pent-up emotions, and it had been going on so long that he felt entitled to answers to certain questions. He hadn't said anything about my sudden lack of interest.

But without that much needed, enjoyable release, I found my patience thinning with every interaction I was forced into with my brother. It seems the feigned forgiveness I'd offered him at his expectation wasn't any easier to deliver now that it was twelve moons ago when he'd betrayed me.

The journey got better after we crossed the Neck. Beautiful untouched countryside sprawled out to the horizon in every direction and there seemed to be a deep, blissful quiet settled over the green land. The tranquility brought me a different type of peace, something I'd never felt before, nothing a tryst in bed could offer.

There had been a moment of panic when Lord Walder Frey lined up all of his unmarried sons, grandsons, nephews and great-nephews before the king in the hopes he would betroth me or the princess to one of them. My brother had firmly declined, along with the Queen, much to my relief. Marcella had been so protected by my mother I doubt she even knew what was going on. It seemed I was not so much of a nuisance that Robert would toss me to the dreadful Freys.

The temperature cooled off the closer we drew to Winterfell, the travelling band scrambling to find warmer clothes.

It surprised me how much I instantly liked the North, despite the cold. I viewed the endless rolling plains as something living, rather than just dirt that drifted by on a breeze. There was a certain mysterious quality that came with a kingdom as big as the North. There was history and life in this land.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Winterfell simply appeared one day as we rode over the crest of a hill. The sprawling castle sat on top of a hill, mist clinging to its walls. Winter Town lay at the base of the hill, the townspeople lining the streets to watch our convoys roll through the mud. A few of the young women and children waved in excitement, but most of the people were frowning. A winding road painted the land, leading travellers into the far North, but a fork broke off to take us to the castle.

Two member of the Kings Guard rode in front, including Jaime. Two more were stationed with the Queen and the kings children. Ser Barristan and a host of the Guard had stayed in King's Landing to keep the order whilst the royal family was away.

I have fuzzy memories of this place. When I was eight years of age, at the end of Greyjoy's rebellion, Robert had rested his forces here for a month before starting the long journey home. Cersei and the children had been brought up from King's Landing to celebrate the victory. Whilst here, I met Sansa and baby Arya, the only daughters of Lord Eddard and Lady Catelyn Stark. But it had been the heir, the bastard and the foster whom I had played with. Robb Stark is Nedd's eldest son and heir of Winterfell, growing up alongside his bastard brother, Jon Snow. When Balon Greyjoy admitted defeat, Nedd had taken Theon, his last living son and heir, to ward. The four of us had hidden amongst the trees in the Godswood, rode round the hills on and duelled in the courtyard. Theon, the eldest was much bigger and would often get a bit rough with me and Jon, but he would never lay a finger on the heir.

Dark green moors surrounded the bleak grey castle of Winterfell, its turrets rising into the endless cloud, flags flying high. I rode beside the king on my dark bay mare as we entered the gates of the fortress. House Stark were waiting for us. It was quite a large family, a five children brood, plus one bastard. White banners with the head of the grey Direwolf, the sigil of House Stark, hung around the courtyard. My keen eyes flickered around the huge space, taking in the number of Stark men and their household.

Robert stopped his horse directly in front of the family, and I reined Athzalar towards them, but she shied away to the left. A large wolf sat beside each of the Stark children. Direwolves, the sigil of House Stark. They could be mistaken for fully grown wolves but from the youth in their features, you could tell they had not finished growing, besides the differing snouts, ears and paws they had compared to a normal wolf.

Turning my mare around to the right away from the threat, I tried approaching Robert again. Athzalar whinnied in protest and flared her nostrils but did as asked. Jaime had dismounted and approached on foot to scratch Athie's velvet muzzle. I gave my brother a reassuring nod before the two of us faced the lord and lady in front of us.

My gaze met the most enchanting blue eyes I'd ever seen. I felt my eyes widen and my breath caught in my throat. This was Robb Stark, the heir to Winterfell. He'd grown into a well-built young man since last I'd seen him, his chiselled jaw prominent and from what I could tell underneath all those layers he was no a slender man. Movement behind him drew my attention to the warm, brown eyes of Jon. I couldn't help it as the side of my mouth pulled up into a grin at the sight of my old friends.

As soon as Nedd lowered himself to one knee, the entire courtyard followed suit, bowing their heads to the king. Robert scoffed and in a loud voice announced, "No need to bow to me, my friends."

Nedd rose and everyone followed. Dismounting, I rubbed along the mares neck before handing over the reins to Jaime, who watched me with a curious expression. Ignoring him, I walked to Robert's side, a bunch of stable boys ran out to gather the horse's reins and Jaime moved on to help Prince Joffrey dismount as more of our company arrived in the courtyard.

Robert waited for me before turning to face his old friend. "Nedd," He nodded, looking the Stark man up and down. "You got old."

"You got fat." Lord Eddard's words had his five children snapping their heads around to stare at him in shock.

A chuckle escaped my lips and their wide-eyed gazes turned to me. Nedd and Robert burst into laughter and the great men were embracing each other with delighted grins on their faces. "Winterfell is yours, your grace." Nedd pulled back and turned to me. "Naveena."

"Nedd," I grinned, returning his enthusiastic embrace.

"My, how you've grown. I can see why they call you the fairest maiden in the realm." I smile, despite every person in the Seven Kingdoms speculating if I was a 'maiden' at all anymore.

The three of us turned to Lady Catelyn Stark. "Cat," Robert smiled fondly. "I present my sister, Lady Naveena Baratheon."

Lady Catelyn managed a polite smile and nod of her head to the king, her eyes flicking to meet his but quickly returning to me. She looked me up and down, her brows crinkling in confusion. I suppose I did look quite odd for a king's sister. I wore dark brown leggings and a white linen shirt with a black corset suitable for riding over the top to keep everything in place. I had a coat on over the top that was unbuttoned in the front and wore black mud-streaked boots. Definitely not what a lady should be wearing.

"Cat," Nedd urged and she broke out of her staring, bowing her head.

"It is good to see you again, Lady Naveen," The words were polite but empty.

I smiled in turn anyway. "Likewise, Lady Catelyn."

"She's so beautiful." Came a tiny whisper to my left and my eyes flickered to the fiery-redhead Sansa.

She was the spitting image of her mother and her eyes were trained on me as she spoke to her older brother. She blushed beet red when she realised I'd heard and looked down at the ground awkwardly, her brother chuckling with his eyes on me.

Moving away from my brother and friend, I stopped in front of Robb, looking him up and down. "My, my, what eleven years can do, Lord Robb."

Robb bowed his head. "Lady Naveena."

My gaze moved past him to the two familiar faces in the back of the immediate household. "Hello, Jon, Theon."

I noticed Lady Stark's sharp eyes move from me to her son to the pair in the back, the whole time her expression did not waiver from disapproval. I turned my head to continue looking down the line of children. "Hello, Sansa, Arya, Brandon. And you must be Rickon."

In unison, the four of them bowed their heads. The second youngest boy blinked at me with big brown eyes under a mop of brown hair. "My name is Brandon, my lady, but people call me Bran."

"Do you prefer being called Bran?" He glanced at his older brother who nodded at him encouragingly and the boy dipped his chin in affirmation. "Then I shall call you Bran as well."

He beamed and I couldn't help but smile. Focusing back on Robb, I found him watching me carefully, bright blue eyes sparkling underneath brown curly hair.

Behind us, the door to the carriage opened and out stepped Queen Cersei Lannister. More than just her twin brother's eyes followed her every move as she made her way across the courtyard to where we stood. Cersei came to stand between me and Robert, holding out her hand which Nedd had to bend to kiss the king's ring on her pretty slender finger.

"My Queen," Lady Catelyn's tone sounded much more welcoming as she bowed.

The Queen looked down the line of children. "What fine-looking children you have, Lady Stark."

The golden queen's eyes met mine and I bowed my head in respect.

The silence of the yard was broken by the king's booming voice. "Come, I wish to pay my respects to the dead," Robert turned for the crypts. "Naveena."

Cersei half-turned towards her husband as he strode past her. "We've been riding for a month, surely the dead can wait, my love." Her attempt to stop him from seeing her was amiable but futile.

"Nedd," Robert looked to his friend, ignoring his Queen.

"I need Naveena," Cersei cut in and I stood motionless between the husband and wife waiting for my orders. "I could use her help to settle the children."

Robert glared at his wife with disdain but she did not flinch. "Naveena, with me."

I faced Cersei, bowing my head so as not to catch her eye. "When we return, I shall join you immediately, my queen."

Turning to the king, Nedd gestured to his son. "Robb, come."

Robb bowed his head to the Queen politely before falling into step beside me and we followed the pair of old friends into the dark tunnel of the crypt. Somehow the temperature managed to drop even lower the further we walked beneath Winterfell. Nedd and Robert knew exactly where they were going, rounding a corner together and striding onwards.

Nedd spoke as they made the long trek towards the tombs. "Tell me about Jon Arryn."

A hand clasping a small potion bottle, retracting behind a gown. Robb glanced over at me curiously, his blue eyes sparkling in the firelight as I shook my head, the memory dissolving.

"Not much to say, one minute he was fine the next it burned right through him whatever it was," Robert answered mournfully. "I loved that man."

"We all loved that man," Nedd corrected gently.

Rob and Nedd had grown up and trained together as wards to the late Jon Arryn. Robert asked Jon to be his hand when Nedd refused and when I'd come along and been named ward of King Robert, Jon had been the one to teach me everything. He was my tutor, my sword instructor, my mentor and my friend. Being the most adored thing in Robert's life meant being equally favoured in Nedd's.

"He never had to teach you two much." Robert chuckled heartily. "But me, remember me at sixteen? All I wanted to do was crack skulls and fuck girls."

I sighed. "To think, it was only two years ago I had finished my training with him. I was more his ward than yours." I let the slight slip past my lips, eyes on Robert for his reaction.

The king merely grunted in response, dismissively. "That is because you are my sister, it's better than being a ward."

Remaining silent, I glanced at Robb, finding those alluring blue Tully eyes already on my face. He smiled softly and I found my lips automatically pulled up in response, though weariness remained in my heart. I did not need to be distracted by a young wolf right now, despite that strong jaw and curly mop of brownish-reddish hair on top of his head. I found myself picturing me running my fingers through it, imagining the silkiness and how he would react. I was so wrapped up in my head that I almost ran into Nedd.

The King and Lord Stark were facing each other, Nedd with an apprehensive expression like he knew what was coming, and Robert had a determined one. "I need you, Nedd, at King's Landing. Up here you're no damn use to anybody. Lord Eddard Stark, I would name you the Hand of the King."

Nedd dropped to one knee before his friend, bowing his head, almost begging not to be chosen for this task. "I am not worthy of the honour."

"There's not a more honourable man alive," I countered. Everyone in this room knew how honourable Lord Eddard Stark was, it was practically the stuff of legends.

"I'm not trying to honour you," Robert said bluntly. "I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink and whore my way to an early grave. You helped me win the Iron Throne, now help me keep the damn thing. We were meant to rule together," Nedd rose but Robert continued. "If Lyanna had lived, we would have been bound by blood. Well, it's not too late. I have a son, you have a daughter, we'll join our houses."

My gaze cut sharply to Nedd as his head snapped back up. The offer of his eldest daughter to the prince and heir to the throne was a magnificent opportunity, it would be scandalous and offensive to refuse his King. But I felt pity for the girl if she ended up in the hands of Joffrey. Nedd didn't seem to know what to say, his mouth pulled down into a frown, brows dipping further towards his nose. Finally, he spoke. "We can discuss this further, tomorrow perhaps? I will need to inform my wife."

"Cat?" Robert frowned, his voice booming in the dark, impatience evident. "What's she got to do with it?"

"Just because you do not seek to involve your wife in matters involving her children, Robert," I started gently, catching the attention of the three men. "Does not mean Nedd has to follow your example."

Robert seemed to catch himself and straightened. "Of course, Nedd, of course, but it has always been my greatest wish to unite our houses. I look forward to being able to announce an engagement before the end of our visit."

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

What are your thoughts? Feel free to comment!

Don't forget to vote!

Check out A Writer's Collection to find all bonus content. It's a place where extra information on your favourite works of mine and characters can be found. If anyone wants something specific, you can message me. Please, please, please, check it out!

Love always, Sare xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14.5K 411 51
Forgotten. Overlooked. Aryadne Baratheon is the eldest of the King's children and yet she is known by few. There is a cost when you take a bright min...
208K 8.1K 190
Aelinor Baratheon stands out in her family. She doesn't have the golden hair and green eyes of her mother and younger siblings. Nor does she have bla...
8.2K 184 10
It is well known that Daemon Targaryen cared little for his valeman wife, Rhea Royce, it was even rumoured that the couple never consummated their un...
345K 17.6K 40
Alicent meets a woman that could save her from the life she never wanted. But will this mystery woman be able to keep up with their ruse or will the...