The Billionare's Challenge

By sugarpuppies

Kate was a decent and lovely girl until she had harsh experience during college. After graduating, she decide... More

Prologue
Graduation
The CEO
New York
First Day
Hangover
Happy Monday
The Challenge
First Move
Chit Chat
Preparations
Fashion Show
Friends? Or Not?
The Plan
Childhood Friend
Birthday
Post Birthday
The Collins
The Ex
The Dinner
The Past
Horses and Chickens
Business Trip
Help Me, My Friend
The Wedding
Ferris Wheel
Mmmm.
Leaving and Coming Back
The Test
Hello, Kate
Knight In Shining Armour
Dinner Date
Tainted Memory
The Aftermath
Epilogue
A/N

Benefit Ball

12.9K 521 17
By sugarpuppies

Kate's POV

Breathe in. Breathe out.

The day has finally come. I don't know what to do. Just two or three days ago, the dressmakers finished the designs. I'm excited to see my work.

Ding. Dong.

Oh! Stella's here!

I ran to the door and opened it. "Hi!!" I said with a big smile.

"You're cheery." Stella said.

"Oh I'll help you with that." I said, eyeing the dresses and other stuff she brought."

We started picking dresses. Four gowns caught my eye. It was simpler yet elegant. The peach one is very long and the strap should be around my neck. The cleavage isn't that low. The dark blue one has sequins down the cleavage and it's backless. The maroon one looked elegant with the black accent at the side. Lastly, the black one has a slit on the side and the cleavage is quite low. It's also backless.

"I picked four." I said while getting the gowns.

"So, what should I wear?" I asked.

"Try them all. I'll judge the way they look on you."

I tried every gown and Stella kept giving me stares.

"You know, everything looked good on you. But, the black one's better." Stella said. Guess black gown it is.

I glanced at the clock and it's already four. Marc said he's gonna pick me up around six thirty.

"We should hurry. It's already four."

Stella did my make up. As soon as she was finished, I looked at the mirror.

"Woah..." was all I said.

"Did you like it?"

"I look different. I look more...um..mature."

"You look beautiful. Now let me do your hair."

Stella started brushing my hair. I stared at my reflection. My eyes are a bit darker with the eyeliner. The eyeshadows are dark. My blush is light but my lips. God, my lips are hot red. I really looked different.

"Done." I heard Stella said. I then looked at the reflection of my hair. Stella curled the ends of them. I thought she was gonna do something like a bun.

"You look perfect just like that. You're a natural beauty, no wonder my brother likes you." I suddenly coughed at her last sentence.

"Don't get me wrong, but your brother doesn't actually like me. He just pitied me after I told him about my past."

"Come on, he likes you." Stella said, giving me a warm smile.

"I...never mind. It's your turn."

I did Stella's make up. I just put light colored makeup on her. She really didn't need dark makeup. I finished putting lipstick on her.

"So..." I said while she looked at her reflection.

"Not so bad. I love it!"

I started brushing and ironing her hair. I did a braid at the side and tied it on the other side of her hair. I curled the ends of her hair too.

"There..all done."

She turned around and looked at my work.

"Wonderful!! Thank you! Thank you, Kate!" She said before hugging me tightly.

Ding. Dong.

"Oh! That must be my brother!" Stella stood up. "Stay here, first. I'm done already. Wear your heels!" She said before practically zooming down to get the door.

I just giggled and got ready. I don't know why but I feel nervous.

"Kate!" Once I heard Stella shout, I snapped out of my nervous state and tried to be calm and confident.

I grabbed my purse and exited my room. I walked down the stairs and saw Marc standing beside Stella. He wore a black tux with a dark blue tie. His hair was brushed up and he looked gorgeous.

Kate! Get it together! You're not supposed to like him!

I reached the last step of my stairs and the siblings were smiling at me widely.

"I'll go to the car..." Stella said. I shot her glare for leaving me with this arrogant man. I watched her leave.

"You look beautiful." He said while staring at me.

"You too. I mean, you look not so bad either." I mentally slapped myself from saying that. He chuckled and said, "Let's go."

He grabbed my hand and led me to the car. Once we got out of my place, I saw a middle-aged man at the side of the car.

"Who's that?" I asked while nearing the car.

We stopped and the man smiled.

"Mr. Collins, Ms. Jones. I'm Vic, your driver."

"Hello, Vic."

He gestured for us to get in the car. I thanked him and we slid in the car. Stella was sitting near the opposite door. I sat beside her and Marc sat beside me. So basically I'm between the Collins siblings.

"Kate, you excited?" Stella asked as she nudged me.

"I guess..." I shrugged.

Marc was quiet the whole ride. Stella and I were talking about some socialites who are attending the ball.

"We're here, sir, mam." Vic suddenly said.

"You ready?" Stella asked while she winked.

"Yeah..." I said quietly.

Vic opened the door for us and Stella got out quickly. I guess she needed to check how the party was going.

I was left alone with Marc. I shifted awkwardly and waited for him to get out.

He smiled at me and finally got out. He then held out his hand. I hesitated but then put my little hand over his.

Once I got out, Marc held me by the waist. "You're my date, remember?" My heart raced at his remark.

"Let's go." He said while giving me a little push. Both of us walked and entered the ballroom.

Once we were inside, all eyes were on us. People kept murmuring. "Who is she?", "Is she Marc's new girlfriend?" "Where did she come from?" "Is she some kind of whore?" Some people whispered.

Then someone cleared their throat. "Let us introduce the founder of the organization. Let us welcome, Sean Collins!" Both Marc and I turned our heads at the stage and saw Carla. I mouthed 'thank you' for saving us from those stares.

"Let's get to our seats." Marc said while pulling my hand.

We sat with Jane. "Glad you could make it, Kate."

"Of course, Jane. I wouldn't miss the charity ball. I would gladly help the poor."

Dinner was served and it looked delicious. In the middle of dinner, the entrance opened and a beautiful lady appeared. She wore a yellow backless gown. Her cleavage was quite low and her gown has slits at both sides of the dress. She had the face of a goddess.

Marc's face suddenly changed. His face looked tense. His jaw was clenched and his eyes darkened.

"Uh..Marc, you okay? You look like you saw a ghost." I asked him softly while placing my hand on his shoulder.

"Oh. It's nothing." He said.

"Kate!" Someone whispered. I turned around to see Stella.

"It's time. Come on!" I nodded and turned to see Marc with a confused face.

"I have to help Stella." I simply said before heading towards the backstage.

Marc's POV

Goodness! Why did she have to come? Of all people!

My whole body tensed. I didn't know she was invited. Hell! The last time I saw her was when I broke up with her after sleeping with her. She and I had the longest relationship among my other relationships with other women.

She told me she liked me but I didn't actually care. I think I broke her heart. Jesus! She wore a dress that showed too much skin. I admit she's a man's dream but I only had eyes for Kate.

"Uh..Marc, you okay? You look like you saw a ghost." Kate suddenly asked while placing a hand on my shoulder.

"Oh it's nothing." I simply said trying to gain my composure.

My sister then called Kate. I just let them be and sipped my wine.

Minutes later, Kate was taking too long. The auction started already. I think Kate helped my sister way too far now.

I craned my neck and searched for her. The next thing I heard was Kate's name being called. My head snapped in front and saw Kate emerging from the curtain.

"What the hell is she doing?!? Is she selling herself to a man?!? Goddamit!" I said curling my fists. She really is out of her mind.

"Honey, calm down. It's just one date." My mother said from behind.

"Mom!" I heard her giggle. I am really going to make her pay for this.

Kate's POV

This is it. I'm already nervous. It's just one date. One date won't hurt right? It's for charity.

"The next contestant is wonderful, charming, and a designer. May I present to you, Kate Jones!" The MC said.

I emerged from the curtain. I put on a smile. I scanned the whole room. I found our table and Marc looked like he wanted to murder me. I just smiled at him.

"One hundred fifty thousand dollars!" A man from the left said.

"Two hundred thousand dollars!" A guy from behind shouted.

"One million dollars!" A familiar voice shouted. There was a long pause. I scanned at the crowd and the spotlight was on Marc.

"Going once! Twice!...Sold!"

I looked at Stella and she grinned. Her finger then pointed left. I looked at the direction and saw Marc holding his hand out for me.

I hesitatingly placed my hand over his. As soon as I was beside him, he whispered huskily,"You owe me a dinner date."

I shivered when his hand was on my back.

We walked back to the table and Jane and Sean were smiling at me widely.

When we finally seated, Jane said, "Dear, you should've seen Marc's face when he heard your name being called. I think he might've overreacted." All of them laughed. I swear my face was already red.

The mood suddenly changed. The music was softer and the lights were dimmer.

"May I have this dance, my love?" Sean sweetly asked his wife.

My heart melted at the sight of them. They were still so in love after years of marriage. I knew I will never have the chance to love like that again.

"Dance with me." I heard Marc said. I looked at him and said no. I thought he was gonna leave but he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the dance floor.

"Hey!" I whispered.

"I want to dance." He said while putting my hand on his shoulder.

"You can dance with any woman here." I rudely said.

"I want you. Did you know how much I want to strangle all the men who were ogling at you?"

"I..I just wanted to help Stella Marc. And it's just one dinner date."

"One night. You can never know what will happen in one night."

"It's just one night, Marc. I'm not that careless. What could possibly go wrong? Those men are nice and noble."

"Am I not nice and noble, Kate?" He whispered in my ear.

"I am noble and I can be nice when I'm with you. I can also be naughty for you." I don't know why but I felt nervous and excited. I soon realized that Marc was so close to me.

He then kissed me. I drowned myself into cloud nine.

I think I'm nearly falling for him.

After the song was over, Stella called me.

"Kate! I can't believe my brother just paid a million dollars for just one date with you!"

"Okay...stop it. I've had enough of that. Women here are already glaring at me."

"Don't you want it? You're gonna have a date with one of New York's hottest men!"

"Stella! I don't like being chased by paparazzi. I just want to be happy and content with my life."

"Wanna have fun? Let's go to the amusement park. Let's say three days from now?." Stella said.

"I can't. It's my brother's wedding."

"Oh. Who's the lucky girl then?"

"It's my ex's cousin."

"What? Are you serious? So you are gonna cross paths with him again?"

"Yeah..I just have to avoid him. And I'm not that worried coz Marc's coming with me."

Stella gasped. "You're bringing him and not me?"

I just shrugged.

"Oh my god...did something happen between the two of you?!?" She shrieked.

"No! No! I just needed him. He already knew about my past. And I needed someone big enough to protect me from Troy."

"Oh...well. Enjoy then. I'll schedule our girls' night out some other time." She said before patting me and leaving me.

I was about to go back to our table when a familiar voice stopped me.

"Kate."

I turned around and said, "Troy."

"You must be happy to be bought by the Marc Collins. So, are you a couple now?"

"Excuse me, but it's none of your business. I have to go back." I was about to walk away but Troy caught my arm.

"You may be with Marc for now but I will make you mine again. Come back to me and you'll never be hurt again."

I turned to him and said, "I won't go back to you. After what you did? Huh! I'm already happy here. Leave me alone!" I said before slightly pushing him.

I went out to the balcony for fresh air. I can't believe Troy wanted me back. I moved here to make a new start and he waltzes back into my life. I need to clear my head. I looked at the whole city. The lights were amazing. It's like I'm on top of the world. I wished my life was different. I wanted to change everything. I wished my parents were loving.

"Hey..." Marc stood beside me.

"Hey.."

"I saw you with Troy a while ago. You okay?"

"No..I'm not. He wants me back."

I noticed Marc's clenched fists. I reached them and held them.

"Don't be mad. I'll be fine. He wouldn't hurt me. Come on, let's dance. Stop thinking about him. He's not important."

His fists loosened. "You're right. You're more important." He said before dancing with me.

"Marc, can I ask you a favor?"

"Anything.."

"Can you go with me to Josh's wedding? It's three days from now. I really appreciate it if you could come."

"Ok."

"Really? Oh thank you!" I hugged him tightly.

"Wait...uh..please try not to kill anyone during the event." I said sheepishly.

"Why?"

"My brother's gonna marry Troy's cousin."

He inhaled sharply and closed his eyes. His hands were twitching.

I took them and caressed them. "Please. Just bear it. For my brother."

"Fine. Both of us owe each other."

"What do you owe me? You helped me too many times. That's enough."

"Let's go have some fun after the wedding. Show me around your hometown."

"Alright! Oh...a helicopter's gonna pick us up. I'll text you what time you should be at my apartment. Bring some clothes too. And-"

I was cut short by Marc's lips crashing down on mine. He then clasped something around my neck. After breaking apart, I looked at the necklace and gasped. It was a flower-shaped diamond.

"Marc! You didn't have t-" He kissed me lightly and walked away.

I think this is a memory I will never forget. Even though he's sometimes stubborn and arrogant, he still has a way to melt hearts.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 141K 91
After a hot-headed playboy billionaire stands her up for a career-making interview, blogger Sweet vows to ruin his reputation. The only catch? It req...
41.7K 2.6K 50
[Complete] A NEW enemies to lovers, office romance. 🔥 Rated R for mature sexual content and graphic language • 18+ *** Two rivaling company presiden...
49K 2.2K 48
"Can a Man be complete for a Woman? Can he vanish away her pain?" . . Let's Find out!! -Self ...
505K 13.6K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...