Heart and Home~ Edmund Pevens...

By the_metanoia

Fauns dancing around fires. Griffins soaring high. Unicorns galloping across wide fields and centaurs battlin... More

Chapter 1: New arrivals
Chapter 2: Hide and Seek
Chapter 3: Secrets of a wardrobe
Chapter 4: Siblings
Chapter 5: We told you so!
Chapter 6: Jadis... Queen of Narnia?
Chapter 7: The Beaver's house
Chapter 8: Tumnus and the witch
Chapter 9: Merry Witchmas
Chapter 10: The not-so-secret Army
Chapter 11: The Witch's Camp
Chapter 12: A Sudden Change
Chapter 13: The Cold Mother
Chapter 14: Aslan...
Chapter 15: Home
Chapter 17: On we must go...
Chapter 18: Darkest of Times
Chapter 19: Long Live the Kings and Queens
Chapter 20: Abandon
FAN ART
Cover Contest!
Winner!
Fate and Love
Chapter 1| The Message
Chapter 2| Prince Caspian
Chapter 3| Edmund
Chapter 4| Narnians
Chapter 5| Councils and Kisses
Chapter 6| Late Nights and Early Mornings
Chapter 7| A memoir of heartache
Chapter 8| Aslan's How
Chapter 9| Fire and Ice
Chapter 10| Torture
Chapter 11| Dead or Alive
Chapter 12| Negotiate
Chapter 13| King against King
Chapter 14| For King and Country
Chapter 15| The Call
Faith and Time
Chapter 1: Edmund
Chapter 2: The Tale of an Old Soul
Chapter 3: A glimpse of pain
Chapter 4: Ghost Town
Chapter 5: Do Not Go Gentle
Chapter 6: Unchained
Chapter 7: Awakening
Chapter 8: Island
Chapter 9: Voyage
Chapter 10: The Gold of Midas
Chapter 11: The Beginning of the End
Chapter 12: Liliandil
Chapter 13: Dulce est Decorrum est Pro patria mori
Chapter 14: Revelations
Epilogue

Chapter 16: Death and Life. Heart and Home.

13.4K 421 120
By the_metanoia

"How do I know that your promise will be kept?" The Witch echoed from her throne. Amelia and Edmund pulled apart to face the two leaders. Aslan suddenly let out a mighty roar, causing Amelia to jump. The Witch sat down on her throne with wide eyes, shocked. The Narnians laughed and cheered.

Amelia smiled once again and pulled all the Pevensies together for a hug. The Narnians around her rejoiced and hugged each other. The Witch was carried away, along with Amelia's fear. The siblings all let go of the young girl and started celebrating with the Narnians around them. Amelia caught sight of Lucy, staring off into space. Amelia followed her gaze and saw the lion, his face slightly solemn. She sighed, assuming the negotiations took a toll on the lion. Aslan walked back into his tent and Amelia walked over to Lucy, placing a delicate hand on her shoulder.

"He is probably just exhausted from the negotiations," Amelia assured her, "Believe me, that lady can be a handful."

Lucy giggled at this, "You have to meet my friends!"

Amelia laughed as Lucy dragged her off into the sea of Narnians who welcomed the Silvanus with open arms.

"Oh, my lady, it only got worse! The dwarf had the audacity to fart, while we were stuck in the bloody chimney!" Amelia laughed so hard her eyes started tearing up. She and the Narnians had been celebrating around a campfire for quite some time. Lucy, Susan and Peter had already stalked off to bed, but Edmund sat beside her – his laughter echoing throughout the camp.

"But why did you both go into the chimney?" Amelia asked the badger, still giggling lightly.

The badger, known as Koran, shrugged, "I ask myself that question every day."

The Narnians around the fire broke into another fit of laughter. Amelia laughed along with them, very content. The Narnians had dragged her into the celebrations immediately and she enjoyed them greatly; though she insisted that they call her Amelia and not 'my lady' but none of them adhered to her request.

The Narnians were very joyful and loving creatures. She knew that, as the Silvanus, it was her duty to protect them and she knew, in her heart, that it would be her pleasure. She didn't know what help she would be in their protection, but she knew that she would do everything she could. They didn't deserve the cold winter that is The White Witch. They deserved freedom, prosperity and summer.

She felt strange but, at the same time, at home when she spoke with the Narnians. To her, animals such as Cheetahs, Badgers and lions could not talk... but to no avail, in Narnia they all did. Even the trees. Amelia could hear them whispering every now and then as they surrounded their little group.

Edmund turned to face Amelia and she did the same, smiling at him.

"I have something to give you," Edmund spoke, fiddling around in his pocket, "Peter said they ran into Father Christmas on the way here, and that he had a present for you."

Edmund then pulled out a necklace. It was a golden chain with a golden leaf that was outlined with green gemstones. Amelia gasped, it was beautiful! She tentatively took into her cupped palms, feeling a surged of power and the cool touch of the metal, "Wh-wh-what is it for?"

Edmund shrugged, "I'm not exactly sure. Something about how the strongest power is the power within... Peter said something like that." He nervously scratched the back of his neck, trying to recall what his older had told him.

"Well, thank you for passing it on. It's absolutely beautiful." Amelia said, looking at him with a thankful gaze.

"Yeah..." he agreed, his eyes not once leaving hers.

Suddenly, the laughter died down and all the Narnians shot out of their chairs and dipped into low bows. Edmund and Amelia broke their gaze scrambled up out of their seats and turned around.

Aslan stood there, tall and proud. Amelia and Edmund hurried to get into bows but Aslan just laughed, "Son of Adam, Silvanus, rise for your allegiance is to Narnia and not to me. Fellow Narnians, rise and be off to rest. We suspect to battle in the morn, and we need all warriors fully rested."

Oreius, Aslan's second-in-command, nodded at his orders and led all the Narnians away. The camp was suddenly silent as the centaur walked to surrounding fires and repeated the command.

Aslan turned to the young boy and girl, "Edmund, go to your tent and rest. You need to be awake to lead your people tomorrow. I must speak with Amelia alone."

Edmund nodded and bid them both goodnight before he walked off in the direction of his tent, sending Amelia one last look that she could not comprehend. Quietly, she pocketed the necklace before turning to the lion.

Aslan gestured for Amelia to follow him and she did so. Silently they walked beside each other, passing a few tents and fire remnants, until they were under the cover of the woods.

"The Witch was very reluctant to release you," Aslan stated.

Amelia sighed, "I suppose it was the slight remains of her motherly instincts. She disowned me at her camp, Aslan." Amelia blinked back tears as the memories went through her head, "To her, I am only an enemy."

Aslan sighed, "Your time as mother and daughter was short lived, Amelia. Do not blame yourself what could have been. The Witch's heart is in a very deep darkness, to be with her as her daughter would mean to fight against your friends and your destiny." Aslan turned to her, "The Silvanus's duty has always been to represent the spirit of the Narnians; the happiness, joy and loyalty. You have been given a power that very few can contain, Amelia. The spirit of the Silvanus is very powerful, but only when Narnia is at peace. Until the time of peace and equality, it is your duty to protect your people. You must stay true to yourself, Amelia. Do not let your heart and emotions toil with what you know is right."

Amelia's heart ached as she remembered all the years in London where she felt lonely. Where she longed for her mother to comfort her, to give her advice, to bake her cookies. That image was of a woman who had no choice but to leave, and was still kind-hearted, brave and tranquil. The reality was that Amelia's mother was not at peace and so it conflicted with Amelia's destiny as the Silvanus, but... "She's still my mother, Aslan. Despite all she did to me and Edmund at her camp. Despite the fact that she disowned me. Despite the fact that I told her I hated her... I have been numb since she told me Aslan, none of it has settled in my mind. I still cannot comprehend all the lies I have been living."

Aslan stopped walking and faced the emotional girl. To Amelia, he seemed to stare into her eyes and understand everything she was feeling, all the turmoil going on inside of her, "I know you must feel betrayed by your father, but understand that he did what he thought was best for you. Had you stayed in Narnia, you would've been just like the Witch. Your father made the right choice, Amelia, don't you ever doubt that. Cherish the memories you have of your normal life, for you are about to embark on a new chapter." He gave her a meaningful gaze, "I need to know that I can trust you to take care of our people. You felt their spirit Amelia. As you laughed with them you felt their joy. Ultimately, you are their protector, as am I. When I cannot fight for them, I need to know that you will."

Amelia looked at him curiously, "Why would you not be able to fight for them, Aslan?"

Aslan sighed, "Sometimes fate places untimely twists in our stories, young one. We must have courage to overcome them, and I trust that you will lay down your life in courage to protect your people."

Amelia shook her head and sighed, throwing her hands into the air, "How are they my people, Aslan? How can they trust me when they only met me today?"

"You forget, dear one, that the Silvanus is a spirit that has guarded Narnia since its creation. They trust you because they trust the spirit and power inside of you." Aslan looked around him for a moment before returning his gaze to Amelia, "Close your eyes and tell me what you feel."

Amelia sighed but did as she was told. Aslan spoke quietly, "Focus on your power, imagine it flowing, growing and changing. Imagine it running through your veins; giving you life and making you feel." Amelia saw a green wisp behind her eyes. She imagined it in her heart, growing and shifting and changing with every breath she took. She imagined her heart pumping it through her veins, making her stronger with each beat, "Now tell me, Amelia, what you feel."

Amelia focused again and suddenly, it was as if her heart spoke to Aslan, "I feel the ground, the soil. It's... angry because the Witch has laid waste upon it. I can hear the trees whispering about hope. I can feel the wind rushing around, worried about the future. I can feel the spirit of the Narnians, proud and hopeful. They think they can win, Aslan. They believe they can win."

Amelia opened her eyes and looked at the lion, "I am home, Aslan. Narnia is my home. I can feel it when the wind embraces me and when the spirit of the Narnians flows through me, but now must I choose between my heart and my home? Must I choose between the mother I have always wanted and the home I must protect?"

Aslan nodded, "That is your twist, Amelia. Fate has placed this choice in your hands, choose wisely."

The lion continued to walk and Amelia walked beside him, as silent as the stars above them. She could feel her heart spinning around and around. She felt like she was being pulled in two different directions and she was afraid of the outcome. She will go one way or the other or she will be split right through the middle.

Suddenly Aslan came to a stop in a small clearing and his voice echoed off the trees, "Shouldn't you both be in bed?"

Amelia glanced around, confused at the lion's words. Soon enough, Lucy's voice sounded, "We couldn't sleep." Amelia glanced at the two Pevensie sisters, wondering how much of the conversation they had heard. She was not ashamed of her turmoil, but she would have preferred to sort out her emotions before she spoke to anyone other than Aslan.

"Please Aslan," Susan asked the lion, "Couldn't we come with you both?"

"We would be glad of the company for a while," Aslan answered. Amelia smiled at the youngest Pevensie before placing an arm around her shoulders and using her other arm to stroke Aslan's mane. "Thank you," the lion said before the four of them continued to walk through the forest, but Amelia's curiosity as to where they were going was building up.

The lion seemed very solemn as they walked. His previous aura of understanding and grace had now turned to a more pensive one. Amelia was worried about the lion, surely he was not doubting her loyalty to the Narnians? She knew the chances of him doubting her ability was slim, but it was the only thing that made sense to the young girl. To Amelia, the lion had only been like this after the negotiations, but she had ruled that out to exhaustion. Perhaps he had always doubted her, for he had been solemn for the entire duration of Amelia's stay at the Narnian camp. She prayed silently that it was all a coincidence, that he was not solemn and glum because of her.

After walking along the forest floor for quite some time, the lion stopped, "It is time," he said, "From here, I must go on alone."

"But..." Susan said, shocked, "Aslan -"

"- You have to trust me" He interrupted. "For this must be done. Thank you Susan. Thank you Lucy" He said, looking at each of the Pevensie girls before turning to Amelia, "Thank you Amelia. Remember what I told you, dear one. I trust you to do what you must. I do not doubt you. Farewell."

While the lion's words had banished all self-doubt that Amelia held within herself, they did not scare off the fear. Was the lion leaving them to fight the Witch alone? Surely he would not abandon his people? Is that why he wanted her to know that he trusted her to protect them?

The lion walked away from the three girls and was soon out of sight. Amelia hugged Lucy close to her, when an idea suddenly popped into her head, "Alone... not for long."

Amelia turned to her right and walked along the tree line. The Pevensie girls followed, as if sensing what she wanted to do. They had walked only a little ways before the noises started echoing. The screeches and howls and grumbles and grobbles echoed out like a choir singing off key. Amelia crouched down onto her haunches, careful not to tear the new dress the Narnians had given her, before she silently edged forward. Susan and Lucy followed her lead, gripping the weapons they held. They all crouched behind the bushes as they took in what stood in front of them.

Goblins, ghouls, ogres, trolls, dwarves, minotaurs and beasts alike were all huddled around a stone table, upon which stood the White Witch. Amelia was surprised for the sight of Witch did not put a hole in her strength – Aslan's words seemed to have given her strength– but that was her smallest worry.

Aslan walked through the sea of beasts, his paws not wavering. The Witch stood tall with a smug look on her face. Amelia could not believe what she was seeing. She didn't know what to think. Was he giving up? Was he conspiring with the witch? Was he going to kill himself? No, Amelia quickly reprimanded herself, Aslan would never abandon us purposefully. There is more to this than meets the eye.

The witch, holding a black dagger and wearing a contradictory black dress, spoke out, "Behold, the great lion." The beasts cackled and laughed amongst themselves. Amelia could feel a tingle in her fingers, her power wishing to save him, but she held it back. Aslan had asked them to trust him, and she did. She trusted him with every part of her being.

A minotaur walked up to the lion, poking his face with the end of an axe. The beast turned around and looked towards the Witch, as if he was asking for permission. The Witch only nodded and the creature roared before crashing into Aslan, forcing the lion to fall to his side. Amelia gasped and started breathing erratically. She couldn't believe what her eyes were seeing.

"Why doesn't he fight back?" Lucy asked the two older girls desperately. Neither of them answered but continued to watch.

"Bind him!" The Witch commanded. They all followed her command and tied up the mighty lion's front paws and his muzzle. "Wait!" the Witch ordered. The commotion froze for a moment, "Let him first be shaved!"

Ginarrbrik was the first to cut off a lock from the lion's mane and he held it high in triumph. Amelia silently cried out, confused and fearful. Why would the lion let them do this to him? The other beasts moved in, like vultures, and started cutting off all of Aslan's luscious locks, roaring as they did.

"Bring him to me," The witch commanded and the beasts followed once again, carrying the lion's heavy body until he lay before the Witch's feet on the stone platform, seemingly helpless. The beasts all roared and cheered, the noise bouncing off Amelia's eardrums. Her heart beat with anxiety as she focused on containing her power. Aslan told her that few had the ability to hold it back, which is why she was blessed it. She could hold it back, and she would, no matter how badly she wanted to let go. No matter how badly she wanted to save the lion, she trusted his word. She trusted that he knew what he was doing.

The Witch's hand suddenly shot out, silencing all the creatures. Then they all started banging their staffs on the ground, shooting fear into Amelia's bloodstream. They started howling and growling once more while the Witch crouched down to the lion, stroking him lightly. She whispered to him, but Amelia could not hear what was said which only angered her more.

The stamping of staffs sped up and Witch rose from her crouch. Aslan breathing seemed erratic, Amelia knew it was fear. Her power could sense it. "Tonight!" The Witch announced, "The deep magic will be appeased!" The beasts roared with delight "But tomorrow, we will take Narnia, forever!"

They all roared again, but this time louder and harsher than anything Amelia had ever heard before. There was only one other time where Amelia had felt so scared for someone else's life, and that was when her father went off to war. Now she could feel that same fear again, and it would haunt her for the rest of her days.

The lion's eyes suddenly seemed to be looking right at the trio. They were filled with despair and Amelia felt like breaking. The Witch said a few more words that could not be heard before she loudly exclaimed, "AND DIE!"

The knife came down.

And that was the day that Aslan, the mighty lion, died

Ahhhhh! I love this chapter so much!

I hope you guys also liked it :) See, I'm sticking to my promise of regular updates. TWO DAYS IN A ROW BABY! I'm shooting for, like, seven. This book will be finished by the end of this holiday, no matter what! I owe you guys a spectacular ending and trust me, you're getting one ;)

So, do you guys understand the connection between the Silvanus spirit and the happiness of the Narnians? I really tried t convey the important of that connection so if it isn't exactly clear, please comment on what you guys don't understand so that I can add that :) then... anyone else shipping Edmelia as hard as I am :D I can't even guys... I just can't.

Well, i gotta run. Its 2pm and I skipped lunch to write so I'm starving.

Please let me know what you guys think in the comments below!

Love yall!

Gabbi

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.2K 264 18
She was the light. He was the darkness. One couldn't exist without the other. Edmund Pevensie knew that he was a king. He knew that he didn't deserv...
175K 5.7K 29
"Oh. Milady Ashton, are you going to the ball for King Peter." The young centaur shyly asked Ashton. Ashton crouched down next to her, meeting her ey...
55.2K 1.1K 31
Alicia Stewart, a broken 14 year old witch at Hogwarts receives news that her father has been killed in war. Her mother had died giving her birth, an...