In the middle of it all.

By Keri8794

Desperate to salvage all that's left in his and his brothers' careers, Daxton enlists the help of the innocen... More

Preface
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29.
CHAPTER 30
Authors Note

CHAPTER 7

16.3K 893 53
By Keri8794

Song: "Run like a rebel" - by The Score.

*******************

A week had passed, and Mikayla couldn't say living in her new home was any different to when she lived with her parents. She wanted it to be different, she craved for it to be different and challenging. She was tired of being sheltered and protected. It made her feel useless. She was thirty- blind yes- but still an adult and dammit if she didn't want to feel like one for once in her life.

No one understood that. No on let it happen.

"There you go, sunny side up." Annabelle placed a plate in front of Mikayla, and she forced a smile of gratitude. She was grateful, truly, but she was tired of this. All Annabelle and Nick had done the past week was follow her like a second shadow. Actually, a shadow was putting it mildly. They were more like second skins. They weren't allowing her to do anything. She couldn't even shower by herself; Annabelle being too concerned that she didn't know the layout of the bathroom and that it would somehow cause her untimely death.

They were behaving like she'd just lost her sight when really it had been years. She had hoped that having Sofia there it would mean they'd leave her alone but really; they'd begun to share responsibilities so well that, the only time Mikayla was alone was when she slept.

She couldn't rely on Daxton for help, the poor guy was so busy with the media, she wondered if he even realized he had house guests. Something had to be done though. Surely, in a house so stacked with staff, Annabelle and Nick would feel comfortable leaving her alone. Surely by now they trusted Daxton.

"I have to go in today." Nick's voice caught her attention and Mikayla fiddled with her eggs as she listened.

"Do you really need to?" Annabelle asked with a slight whine in her voice.

"I can't neglect my work Belle. I've helped where I can, but I need to see to my students."

"What about Mikayla?" Annabelle asked, her voice now lowering. "I can't watch Sofia and help Mikayla."

"You'll need to figure it out. I need to go." No one had a chance of adding more to the conversation. Nick was out the room with a run.

There was a soft shuffle around the kitchen. Annabelle never said anything, she simply continued washing the dishes. Daxton had told her plenty times that the staff would clean but Annabelle declined each time. Mikayla wondered if it was just an excuse to stay around her as she ate slowly.

"What do you want to do today Mickey?" Annabelle asked. Before Mikayla could answer, a wail came through the baby monitor. Mikayla could hear Annabelle's hesitation as she contemplated leaving her alone in the kitchen. Mikayla rolled her eyes. This was why something had to be done. "I'll be back. Don't go anywhere." Annabelle eventually rushed upstairs towards her daughter and Mikayla didn't think twice about climbing up from her seat.

She had to leave before the warden returned.

"Come," she called simply and soon, she could feel Nelly brush against her legs. She let her left hand fall on top of Nelly's head as she soaked up the comfort only she could provide. Mikayla had fought so hard for Nelly, not just for assistance but as a companion too. She had heard that service dogs were trained and good at lowering anxiety levels and if there was one hurdle Mikayla struggled climbing over, it was her anxiety. Nelly was her true hero.

Mikayla continued rubbing Nelly as she thought of her next move. Annabelle would be quick. Most likely Sofia needed a diaper change and a feed and, knowing Annabelle, she'd rush through the change to be back in the kitchen where she could feed her daughter while watching Mikayla.

If she was going to do this, she needed to use her senses and memory to help her center herself. She knew she was in the middle of the kitchen and she remembered the kitchen being on the left of the house as you entered. She could hear a lot of noise coming from her right and she assumed that was where most of the staff were. To the left, she remembered the large living room but, that would take her passed the staircase.

"Right," she commanded. Instantly, Nelly began to move towards the right. She kept a reasonable pace while Mikayla held loosely on the lead. They walked quietly, every now and then Nelly would swerve to a specific side, no doubt avoiding an object. Mikayla could hear staff members going about their duty. Some were kind and greeted her as she passed, others simply ignored her. She wasn't sure where she was going. Nelly would only stop when commanded or when a dead end was reached; neither had happened yet.

The further they walked, the more disorientated Mikayla became and the quieter things around appeared. Slowly, she extended her right hand and let it stretch straight next to her body. She expected to feel something, even a wall but she felt nothing. Her fears quickly surrounded her, and her heart seemed to double in speed when her stomach dropped.

What if she was lost?

Nelly recognized her emotions straight away and without question, the dog stopped and began to whine as she rubbed her head all around Mikayla's legs. Mikayla tried to control her breathing, she tried to think rationally but her insecurities and fears were loud. What if she had accidently wondered away where no one could find her? What if the only person to find her was a murderer?

As her thoughts spiraled out of control, Nelly's whines increased in frequency. Eventually the dog was jumping on her hind legs, trying to push her snout into Mikayla's face. She could feel Nelly's tongue lick her on every odd jump.

"What is going on here?" Somewhere amidst her terrible thoughts and Nelly's whines, Mikayla heard a voice. It sounded muffled through the ringing in her ears. It sounded too far away. So did the footsteps.

Hands touched her unexpectedly, and she screamed; loudly. Suddenly the ringing faded and then all the noise hit her at once. She could hear Nelly growl, then suddenly whine as she remembered her handler. She could also hear a voice attached to the hands that tried to pull on her own. She didn't even remember putting her hands on her face.

"Da- Daxton," she whispered brokenly.

"Yeah it's me." His voice was clearer. "What's going on? Are you okay?"

Mikayla swallowed through the tightness of her throat. She needed water. She wanted to ask for some but nodded instead. "Where am I?"

Nelly had calmed down. She now simply laid across her feet, her snout pushing against her legs. It helped.

"You're in one of the large hallways at the back of the house. How did you get here? And where are Annabelle and Nick?"

"I needed to get away," she answered.

"Away from what?"

"Nick and Annabelle. They're doing my head in. They won't leave me alone. When Nick left for work and Annabelle rushed to attend to Sofia, I saw my chance. I just needed a moment alone."

"I get that. They have been a bit much, yeah?" She nodded. "How did you end up on this side of the house?"

She shrugged. "I just walked. When things got quiet, it suddenly registered that I could be lost. I panicked a bit."

"You can't get lost with Nelly," Daxton said with a chuckle.

"Actually, I can. Nelly isn't a navigation system. I control where we go, she just makes sure I don't bump into anything. Nelly is a dog; how would she know where I want to go if I don't tell her."

He hummed. "That makes sense. So, what was she doing jumping on you like that?"

Mikayla blushed. "It's her training. She was comforting me, trying to ground me."

He was quiet. "You were having a panic attack." It wasn't a question, merely an observation. She nodded. "You're safe here Mikayla. Even if you wondered off, someone on this property would see you and find you. You don't have to fear."

She wasn't sure how he knew, how he understood exactly where her thoughts had gone but she was so grateful that he did. "Thank you."

"Mikayla!"

"Oh no," she whispered. Annabelle had now realized she was gone and judging by her tone, she was pissed.

Daxton chuckled and soon she felt his hand in hers. He tugged gently. "Come with me. I know the perfect place we can go where she won't find us."

"You're sure?" She was skeptical.

"You want some breathing room, then that's what I'm giving you." She could hear his excitement and she felt it too in his pull and quick footsteps. Again, Mikayla found herself wondering around towards the unknown. Only this time, her anxiety was overshadowed by exhilaration. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

46.9K 1.6K 30
Skylar Lin agrees to fake date Kaden Brooks for a deal of a lifetime. Kaden needs to get his ex-girlfriend off his back, and when Skylar pops into li...
83.8K 1.6K 74
I walk out my dorm building to the cafe. Just as I'm about to open the door I hear a person call out my name. I turn around to see the person joggin...
204K 11.3K 32
Isabelle Holden has become a master of keeping up the good girl facade in order to keep her parents off her back and date the baddest boy in school...
823K 29.7K 51
"THE STORY CONTINUES..." • • • "Campbell West, I am happy to announce the you are now Campbell West Cade,"...