Heir to the Ice Queen (Book 1)

By Jazzie_delrey

The land is always covered in snow, so how can anything - let alone anyone - survive there? They don't. ... More

Prologue
Ch. 1
Ch. 2
Ch. 3
Ch.4
Ch. 5
Ch. 6
Ch. 7
Ch. 8
Ch. 9
Ch. 10
Ch. 11
Ch. 12
Ch. 13
Ch. 14
Ch. 15
Ch. 16
Ch. 17
Ch. 18
Ch. 20
Ch. 21
CH 22
Ch. 23
Ch. 24
Ch. 25
Ch. 26
Ch. 27
Ch. 28
Ch. 29
Ch. 30
Ch. 31
THANK YOU!!
ATTENTION EVERYONE!!!

Ch. 19

5K 354 20
By Jazzie_delrey

     Fighting with Nazim was more difficult than I thought it would be. He was strong and swift when he attacked. It was rare to see those two qualities together be done so perfectly in a fighter his size but he was gifted. Palma knows how to breed them.

    For me though, the spears were still hard to use. I didn't see how a stick with a sharp metal top could be so harmful. I mean, the lightness of it was comforting and a lot less tiring then a sword, but still I would rather take a good strong quick swing to my opponent with the strongest metal then a branch. But there was no denying I could hold my own when it came to hand to hand combat along with swords and arrows. 

     The sun began to rise and the heat with it, I decided that now would be a good time to take a break before Elis came down to train me. Plus, I might not be tired, but Nazim - no matter how amazing of a fighter he was - is still somewhat human. He still depends on food, sleep, water and relaxation in order to balance himself out.

     "First day of training complete. I'll see you again tonight Princess," he said as he walked back to the castle.

     "Goodnight Prince," I muttered, he faltered his step slightly as he turned to me.

     "Prince?" he raised his dark brow.

      I ran my fingers through the healthy green grass and looked him in the eye, "Well, you are a prince right? You're technically in line for the thrown. So, Prince Nazim."

     "I guess I've stopped seeing it that way."

     "Really? Why?" I questioned.

     "Well," he stayed standing, "Ever since I was born there was a spear in my hand and I've just been a warrior since," he blinked and his face softened as he looked at me, "Besides, theres no point in calling myself a Prince when I'm never going to get promoted," he lifted his chin up to me, "You on the other hand have a closer chance."

     I simply nodded my head as he left and then I was alone again, but being alone this time didn't bring up any unnecessary doubts, instead I heard the land start to stir away. Birds singing gently to the sun, their own melody for the new day. When I saw their blue feathers fly past me I wanted to follow where they went. I haven't gotten a tour of the castle, and Elis was taking his sweet time meeting me - or he's refusing to train me - so might as well do it myself.

     I walk farther away from the castle grounds and deeper into the trance of the jungle. The suns light on the enormous plants vibrate with color, even the dull and muted greens seemed to have that glow of life to them. Deeper into the jungle, I saw animals I have never seen before. Some high in the trees hanging down by their tails, eating fresh fruit they had just picked. 

      I was fascinated by the little creatures that hung together in a group, but their moves were so effortless for being that high in the trees, without wings, only balance on the branches to keep themselves safe from falling to their deaths. They seemed to be a close family, the bigger males on the outer edges protecting the females and young in the center. But one of the babies was still learning and ended up dropping its meal right by my feet. It landed with a soft thud, and the baby screamed as I picked it up. Quickly it came rushing down the tree, sliding down the trunk of the tree, followed by an adult.

     They seemed harmlessly small, but I didn't have any clue as to what these animals could do, so I slowly extended my arm to the baby, showing her that I didn't want the fruit. After what felt like minutes of me being in that out stretched position did the baby start to move, but she was held back, the bigger one came towards me with caution instead, sniffing me out and puffing out its chest, kind of how Elis does whenever he's around me.

     But unlike him the creature found trust in me, and quickly grabbed the fruit from my palm. He rushed back up the tree with the baby in one hand, fruit in the other. And I let out a small smile at the nurturing animal, caring for its young. 

     I stayed a little longer to explore the jungles depths and saw the most interesting creatures I have never seen nor heard of before hiding behind leafs the size of my body, in the trees high above my head, or even blending in to the surroundings by my head. There was a small slimy animal with red beating eyes and orange round finger tips who leaped far distances from leaf to leaf. A bird squawked above me, it seemed average sized with black shiny feathers, but thats not what caught my attention. It was its bright long orange beak that kept me mesmerized. It didn't seem dangerous though, it barely even acknowledged me, just sat on a branch eating away at its berries.

     I didn't realize the dangerous side of the jungle until I was in the trap of my prey. I was to distracted looking up into the trees to see the little creatures from earlier, they had been following me. Not in a predatory way, there was more curiosity to their adventure. But then they bunched up closer together. The males forming a tight barrier as they all started to frantically yell. Some even were jumping from branch to branch in distress. I didn't understand what was going on, had I ventured to far into their jungle? Was I approaching their nest?

     And then I herd it, a low deep growl hiding from my site. Whatever it was saw me, and wanted me for breakfast. I kept my stance ready for an attack, legs apart and arms by my waist. I kept my ears open, trying to ignore the yells from above, but the animal didn't let any sound escape him this time. I scanned the jungle for any site of it, but it hidden to well for me to see. I didn't even know what to look for, my eyes frantically scanning the jungle floor to see anything unusual. 

     Fruit started dropping from the trees high above me where the little creatures were, they probably can see my attacker from where they were. The wheels in my head started to turn, If I could climb one of these trees, then  maybe I'd get a chance to escape. But all thoughts of escape cleared as a fruit fell on a leaf a few feet away from me, bending it in a way that let me stare at the predator. 

     I saw him just briefly, just as he saw me.

     He was orange with black thin stripes going down his body, and he was big. His gold piercing eyes were locked on me - I was his prey.

     When the leaf covered him once more, I didn't think I just ran.

     Instantly he growled and the noise vibrated in my ears, his heavy paws pouncing the ground behind me. I was going to get viciously attacked by this animal and all I keep thinking about was why did my idiot self went into the jungle, not leaving a trail of how to get back to the castle. The sun was already fully in the sky, telling me I have been traveling for a few hours now.

    Each step I focused on not tripping over a rock or tangled leaves, if I was going to be eaten by this animal I was not going to make it easy for him. I kept running through the jungle, passing some familiar spots until the trees started to lighten, hopefully meaning the castles open grass was near the end. But before I could even make it the miles distance, I was stopped by the creature jumping out in front of me. All along he could have stopped me, but he was simply toying with his food.

     He was the size of a grown man. Paws as big as my head, held their stance. He barred his long sharp teeth and slowly started to circle me. I was brought back to Nazim's lessons earlier. They were fond of using spears because it kept their attackers at a longer distance than a sword. I wish I had that spear now, even if I wasn't the best at using it.

     I could use my fire, but I didn't want to hurt the animal for just trying to survive. But maybe I can scare it off long enough for me to get back inside. 

     He kept his eyes on me, not giving away any signs of and when he was going to attack me. 

     "I don't want to hurt you," I whisper as I raise my palms up and let my fire flow to the tips of my fingers. 

     He instantly stopped his pacing and looked at the flames coming from me, as if he was mesmerized by its dancing. Or maybe he realized that I wasn't such easy prey after all. Either way I took it as a chance to slowly back away from him, the only noise coming from my feet crushing the grass. He stayed still until I took two steps, then he started walking to me in a more relaxed stance, but not in a "I am going to attack and eat you" type of way. Instead it was more like a trot, he wasn't cautious of me at all. He didn't seem scared that I had fire coming out of me. When he was only inches away from my leg I held my breath, not daring to move. I should have been running, or even fighting, but that logical part of me was out of function. My heart was beating in my chest so loud it blocked out the rest of the jungle noises. 

     He slowly brought his nose closer to me and took a big sniff, his warm breath brushed against my leg. And then another deep sound came out from him. Except it wasn't a growl, it sounded like a rumble. It shocked me back to breathing properly when he brought his strong head into my leg and started rubbing his face gently on me.

     I let the flames vanish from my hands and as soon as I did he brought his honey saturated eyes to my dark ones. The predatory stare was gone, replaced by something far more gentle. I slowly brought my left hand down in front of his nose, he smelled me again and then bowed down his head, allowing me to touch him.

     And I did. His orange fur needed a wash but it didn't muster the natural softness his coat, and how dense it is. The rumble in his ribs were louder as I placed both my hands down to run my fingers through him.

     I let myself relax as I felt his body go slack. I was loving every second of this, this animal was fierce and beyond a force to be reckoned with, but also so gentle and beautiful. He walked in between my legs, bring his tail up to my face, tickling my nose, as if he couldn't get enough from me. 

     "You're not so bad are you big guy?"

     His response was to gently pounce on me and to bring his arms on my shoulders. I let out a small laugh, he was heavier than any man I've carried but I held my stance as we stood there in some form of animal to human hug. I brought my head to his shoulder and nuzzled into him, just like he did to me. He brought his head out to face me and started licking my cheek.

     A feeling in my chest started to warm my body, it was like his presence had clicked some part of me awake that I couldn't place it. But still I started to smile at his affection, when he stopped I kissed his nose. He wrinkled his whiskers and licked me once more before landing back to the floor.

     I looked at the sun and turned back to the end of the jungle and sighed. 

     "I think I need to go back now big guy, I've been here long enough. People are going to start thinking I left," I snorted, "Elis is probably going to accuse me of going back to winter and call me traitor."

     My new friend only looked at me, "Ah, yes," I groaned," you don't have to worry about complicated royal politics."

     I gave him one last pet goodbye and turned my heel. Except after a few steps I wasn't alone. He was still behind me catching up to walk by my side. I was being followed by my big orange fur ball. 

     I stopped in front of him, "I don't think Elis is going to take to kindly to me bringing in a new pet. Especially one that can eat people. So you have to stay, okay? I promise I'll sneak back here every once in a while."

     Like he even understood me, every step I took he was not to far behind from me. Even once we broke out of the trees and had the castles back yard in view again, he never left my side.

     "How is it that you go from wanting to eat me one second, and then pouncing on me for kisses the next hu?" I say as I look down at him and squish my hands into his face.

     He didn't like that very much, he wiggled his face out of my hands and bared his teeth as in saying no, but still kept walking by my side.

     I laughed, "ah ah ah, put those away. If you don't want to listen to me then you're going to have to make a good impression."

     I hurried back into the training area,only to discover that not one person was there. No Elis, no guards. But my orange companion got into a low stance and let out a silent warning growl at something that was hiding to my left.

     Elis steps out from behind the cement stairs holding a spear in hand and a knife tied to his hip. He kept his eyes on the beast, and my beast moved his body in front of me protectively. 

     "Evie, get away from the tiger," when I didn't he raised his voice, "Now!"

     Tiger, thats what he was.

     My tiger didn't like his tone and growled again baring his teeth, causing Elis to flinch slightly. He raised his arm higher, and I know he was going to throw it, so I raised my arms in a surrender motion and tried to get in front of my tiger and him.

     "Wait! Don't kill him!" I yelled and then I kneeled in front of my tiger holding my palms to him, looking him in the eyes, "Shh, its okay big guy. He's not a threat."

     I looked back to Elis as he wore a stoned face, weapons still ready to attack but his knuckles held them tightly "He's a bit of a jerk," I mumbled, "But no threat."

     My tiger listened and stopped growling at Elis. He didn't relax his body but it was better than nothing.

     "Toss the spear to the side, you don't need it," he looked at me steam, real steam came out of his nose like he was swallowing his fire. 

     "Evie, explain yourself," he said once he calmed down - slightly calmed down.

     I stood by my tiger again and petted the top of his head to try and calm him. My long nails scratching the side of his ears. "You took to long to come down for our training so I gave myself a tour of the back garden and went into the jungle. That's where I found this big guy and he sort of got attached to me."

     His eyes just narrowed and his mouth formed a thin line.

     "Leave that thing outside, we need to talk, and he's not allowed in the castle until I am sure he will not harm any of my people," he said as and headed back inside the castle and slammed the door.

     "Great, I'm in trouble with the King again," I sighed and started walking to the door but he still stayed by my side. "No you need to stay..." I paused, thinking of a name for him. I could go with something comical like fluffy, or even something dangerous like butcher, but they didn't seem right. And then, " Nuri," He looked at me and his ribs rumbled again,"Yes, Nuri is what I'm going to call you big guy."

     His belly rumbled as I scratch the back of his ears, "Nuri, go hunt for your breakfast, this will take a while." He didn't leave right away, but I also didn't let him follow me anymore we both held out with stubbornness, like a mother setting the rules for her children. But nevertheless he strolled back into the jungle as I walked back into the castle.

     Elis was waiting for me right by the door with Princess Palma.

     "Family meeting I presume?" I casually asked.

     "How irresponsible are you? Bringing a tiger into castle grounds is a danger to everyone here," Elis said tightly.

     "Elis stop it. You know very well it was not her fault the tiger attached himself to her."

     "She could have not gone to the jungle. She could have not left the castle grounds. She could have stayed in her room for the rest of her stay here for all I care."

     "You could have been on time to training. You could stop treating me like the enemy. You could stop acting like an a-"

     "Enough you two," Palma said tightly, "You two are family, you need to learn how to work together-"

     "Why? Because we're family?" I scoffed.

    "Yes Evie, because we're family."

     "Family," I gave a harsh laugh, "Yeah, the importance of family, yet did you forget I'm here asking for help to kill my mother? The women who bore me, the person who's blood flows through my veins - stronger than yours. Family stopped meaning something to me a long long time ago."

     She sighed, "Evie thats not what I mean. We are here to have a clean slate with you. You and your mothers relationship has hit a point where there is no heart to the word family."

     "Would you ever give up on your family?" I questioned her.

     "Has she ever harmed you, so harshly, that if you weren't immortal, would she have killed you?" She asked back.

     "Of course, thats how shes killed most of my siblings," I said it so casually that it wasn't until the words left my mouth that I realized how horrible it sounded. And I know she's right, a mother, true family, would never have been so cruel to me. Not like how she was.

     "Palma had a pet elephant and Slator had a pet tiger many years ago, when we were children. It's rare when an animal attaches themselves to a royal, but when it does stays," Elis said after moments of tense silence.

     Well I'm just a bundle of rare aren't I? Half winter, half summer, and now a pet tiger. 

     "You remind me more and more of him every day. The resemblance between you two are strong," Princess Palma said, "Evie," she held my hand," you are in our care now, and we only want the best for you. Trust can only work if it happens both ways. I know it will take some time - and I do not blame or judge you for the way you were raised - but good thing we're immortal," she smiled a little as she hugged me.

     And then what surprised me the most was that Elis took a step and hugged me as well. He smelled like burnt wood, my arms stayed by my side in this awkward moment. 

     "I need your scent on me for the tiger," he said when as he pulled back, "You're going to have to do the same with everyone in the castle," and then he walked back down the hall out of site and earshot.

     I sighed,"He's never going to like me is he."

     Princess Palma grabbed my hand and held it in hers as we went back into the main hall, "It'll take some time, but if he didn't like you, you would have never came back up from the prison cells."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 43.5K 28
*COMPLETED* My head bowed in a heavy mannor, not in respect, but in trepidation. I discern his unwavering gaze over my ill silhouette. "Look at me." ...
780 97 11
"Oh, Sas... It's not just your obedience that I want." She ran her hand down my face, softly gripping my chin. Her dark gaze burnt a trail to the red...
453K 27.5K 66
"You just love getting yourself into trouble, don't you?" Moonwitches, the rarest and most powerful beings in the entire universe. They are favored b...
1K 261 9
** A thief with very exceptional skills is trying to steal the most precious thing from the ruler of snow, ice, and frost: the winter itself! ** "Whe...